Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Orange Whip IPA - Mad Fox Brewing Company

Orange Whip IPA
No picture.

Mad Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

Beer added by: blackie on 11-06-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.5/5  rDev -18%

On tap at the brewpub poured into a sampler glass. Pours a hazy reddish amber color with a large offwhite head. Decent head retention and lacing. Aroma of strong citrus hops, caramel and toasted malts. The taste is big citrus hops including orange, pineapple, grapefruit and candied citrus, as well as caramel malts. Medium bodied. Strong lingering bitterness.

3.6/5  rDev -15.7%

Had a cask version of this at the Brickskeller.

A: dark brown, very cloudy; no head, but that's what you would expect out of a cask; don't let that deter you
S: very pungent, along the lines of gargonzola cheese
T: Whew! very unusual flavor; the orange is very subtle; the main profile resembles Vick's cough drops in a grapefruit juice; the oak cask is very discernible
M: very muted in the mouth, but again that's because of the cask, so I marked up for that
D: very hard to get into this beer, but I couldn't stop drinking it

This was one strange beer. Get one if you want to explore the outer reaches of the beer galaxy.

3.86/5  rDev -9.6%

On tap at the Brewpub in Falls Church.

Nice clear dark orange amber color with little head, average nose which is light citrus.

Taste is very good, clean with mainly citrus hops and good malt balance.

Mouthfeel is a bit too light for me.

Overall a very good beer that falls a bit short of my expectation for an IPA.

After the review I spoke to the bartender, found that this usually unfiltered beer was filtered for a competition, which may explain the difference between my experience and the prior consencious.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A floral IPA that I thoroughly enjoyed my first few times having it. It is a occasional offering by the brewpub so I can't say if the beer or my tastes have changed. Now it seems sweeter and more malty than I like.

A: good dark amber, fairly clear given darkness
S: floral, orange notes (shockingly?) - I almost think the sweetness is being foreshadowing
T/M: more malty and less mouthfeel than I want from an IPA. There is a slight tug on the tongue, but the honey-orange sweetness is the most prevalent. This isn't bad, but not what I am really looking for.
O: a decent offering I always grab one of when it's on tap, but I've stopped getting more than one.

Re-review (original 08/2013): this batch (to me) is less sweet and a little more bitter than my original review. The feel and taste change can be summed up in that they tend towards orange-rind (from the previous honey-orange sweetness). Net effect: +.25 on taste, feel, overall; -.25 on smell.

A - Pours a cloudy brownish orange color with minimal head and a loose foamy off white lacing and sediment.

A - Tropical fruit that's tangy and pungent and fruit rinds.

T - Matches the nose with fruit rinds of guava, oranges, and grapefruit. Sweet caramel malt underneath blends well with the sweet fruity taste and and mild bitter aftertaste that doesn't hang around for very long.

M -Light medium body, velvet smooth.

O - Not setting the IPA world on fire but I did really enjoy the glass.

Growler shared with Jason - grazie amigo. Poured a murky tangerine with a modest head. Nose of lemon peel and raspberries, with a ton of grapefruit. Taste is primarily a hoppy blast of citrus and pink grapefruit, with tell-tale grassy bitterness on the back end. Finishes a bit sweet with an Orange Julius stickiness (per the label - I guess) Nice carbonation. A solid IPA.

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%

First time doing a review in about 6 months but no ones reviewed the batch released today so I'll bite.

Pours a murky orange hued brown. The appearance is my biggest gripe about this beer.

The smell is Citra all the way. An almost slightly sour orange/mandarin smell. Hoppy like no other and obviously fresh.

The taste is more focused on hop flavor rather than bitterness. Sweet citrus with some bitterness on the back with an awesome malt balance. I always enjoy the breadiness most Mad Fox beers have.

I've been waiting to try this beer for about 9 months since I moved here and started going to Mad Fox. I think it was a little over hyped for me but it is still a damn fine beer. I'm glad it's not filtered but on the other hand the appearance could use some work for sure.

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%

Massive thanks goes out to drabmuh for sending me this one in a past trade! Shared this one with my doppelganger while sitting by the pool on my birthday weekend! Served from growler into a Stone nonic multiple times. Poured a deep red-orange with a minimal cream colored head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, orange, orange peel, citrus, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, orange, citrus, and citrus hop. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The aroma on this one was what made it for me. I could see how people would think this smells like an orange creamsicle as all of the components to make that smell possible are here. The flavor however is more citrusy IPA in nature and quite easy to drink. The hop profile on this one wasn't overly bitter, making it quite enjoyable. A definite must try if given the opportunity!

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a growler
I don't prefer IPAs, but not so much that I don't keep drinking them when presented to me.
A - Nice dark orange color with moderate head that doesn't get in the way
S - The smell is a noticible citris/tangerine, but subtle enough that you don't feel like it's fake or perfumy
T - Again, subtle hints of orange citris, but I never felt like I was drinking some fruity beer, the hopness was also very slight, which I prefer and seemed absent of any bitter aftertaste
F - a bit of carbonation, but otherwise nothing noteworthy
O - I really enjoyed this IPA, in fact, I went back for seconds. Even with the orange scent and subtle orange taste, I never felt like I was drinking some summer fruit beer. The hoppiness was present but very masked also not overtaking the beer. A reallly nice blend that I would recommend to the non-IPA drinker like me.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Tried on tap at the brew pub. Nice burnt orange color, aromas of oranges, oranges, and more oranges. Tastes like dry hopped orange juice, but its awesome. Rich fruit forward front with a nice clean, dry, hoppy finish. Apparently uses a new hybrid hop, taste is quite unique and worth checking out.

4.06/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Orange Whip was served with head pouring over the top of the glass, semi-hazy orange in color with a finger or two of white head. The retention is great, and the head laces so much that I can't tell from the outside where the head has gone and wear it starts. 4.5

S: The aroma is faint, but is focused on citrus and other tropical hints. It's very piney as well, right is right up my alley for IPAs. 3.5

T: The taste is basically all orange citrus, in a piney delicious way. Fresh hops, and a slight nip of booze assault the palate. I feel like if you put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in this you'd get a cream sickle beer float. Note to self: do that next time. 4

MF: It has a light body with the perfect amount of carbonation. The beer is damn drinkable and pairs wonderfully with their food offerings. The bitter aftertaste sticks with you well after the beer has cleared the tongue. 4.5

Value: This is Mad Fox's best and most popular offering, making it a tough one to track down. It's priced right for the area at $6 per pint, but if you can get it on half priced growler night it's an absolute steal. 4.5

O: The beer I look forward to most from this brewery never disappoints. If you come here for one reason, this should be it. 4.5

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Copper color with a thin cask yellowish foam of a head.

Aromas of citrus and a hint of toasted malt.

Not a huge hop flavor, but pronounced citrus and pine that definitely say IPA. Sweet and toasty malt notes loiter in the background.

Medium body, lightly bitter finish - the hops are more on the flavor here.

Very nice, one of my favorite IPA's from this very welcome new addition to the inner beltway NOVA scene.

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

big thanks to Rhettroactive

pours a deep ruby brown with a hint of copper. not much head on this but a decent bit of retention.

bits of orange and citrus with a sweet malty base. light scents of booze.

very citrus based with a dominating orange, tangerine, clementine. light bitterness towards the end. quite sweet with a candied malt. orange aftertaste with a hint of grapefruit. i even picked up a bit of orange peel.

very full bodied with a moderate carbonation. very slick and oily.

very good IPA! solid flavor through out. easy to drink and never tiring. glad i could try this. wish it had a bit more on the nose, thats my only complaint.

4.14/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

16 oz. pint glass purchased at the brewery on the release date (3/1/04), drank over an hour at the bar.

A: 2/3 - deep amber-brown, received with a subtle glass lacing, moderate alcohol legs

S: 10/12 - moderate amount of Citra hop aroma - orange, tangerine and lemon; moderate biscuity malt presence; some alcohols as well

T: 16/20 - on the front of the tongue, there is a moderate hop bitterness that develops into classic Citra flavors - tangerine, orange and mango - with no dank or catty presence; in the middle of the mouth, the citrus flavors continue to develop but there is a big malt presence here than many American IPAs - lots of Marris Otter in here, I think; little alcohol flavors; finishes dry and inviting

M: 4/5 - moderate hop oils, some alcohol fullness

O: 9/10 - solid hoppy pale ale but, to be honest, it's not what I expected with an English IPA color and malt backbone under Citra; it's good stuff but there are other many other commercial Citra beers out there that I prefer - FFF ZD and Pipework's Citra Ninja immediately come to mind; nonetheless, I'd recommend it as a milder, balanced Citra beer, but don't come here looking for a Citra bomb

TOTAL - 41/50

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Growler shared by MNishCT77. Thanks Mark!

The beer is dark amber with a tan head. Certainly darker than I anticipated. Citra hops are present but only play a supporting role. This beer is the definition of balance, and I don't mean that disparagingly, as is often the case when discussing IPAs and DIPAs. Sweet citrus with a sturdy malt body. Again, the balance is so elegant here. Bread crust and citric hops in perfect harmony. Really tasty. This beer has been on my radar for years. I'm grateful for the opportunity to try it.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Growler thanks to CUE45. round two of this beverage means I must rate it.

Smells like a normal IPA nothing special..having this next to heady topper, columbus IPA, head hunter and white rajah this is the one I will keep dabbling in.

i felt the orange creamsicle vibe more so last time then now but still delicious

thank you to virginia for bringing more then just busch gardens

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured on tap into a half sized shaker pint style glass at Meridian Pint. From notes.

A dark copper body, orange hues along the edges with a dark amber appearance. Kind of hard body color to describe almost a blur between brown and amber. The puck settles with a nice tan cap and laces nicely. The head is particularly uniform and real nice.

There's a light sense of hop like grapefruit and toasty spice. Light brown sugar whaffs up a bit. More citrus orange and very clean. Very simple. Nice and not overbearing either. Solid.

On first sip the palate fills with a good brown sugar that's tolerable. Piney wood like hops finish with a great breath mellow orange and citrus qualities. Prickly carbonation at first but nothing detracting. Warmth really brings out more of a creamy character and hop tangerine like citrus to the beer also, but it's subtle.

Overall a solid IPA to be having in the area. I personally love 2 hemispheres considerably more and wasn't crazy about this, but it's a solid decent brew worth having again.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

On tap at the brewpub on 11.13.2010. A bit disappointed that I missed the cask version, but NotF was worth it. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a very hazy dark amber-honey color. Definitely unfiltered. There is a single finger of off-white head with minimal lacing to begin. Served a bit cold and as I let it warm and gave it a few good swirls, the head came back up and started leaving some really nice lacing.

The nose is orange rind with some slight earthy hips. A bit of bitter orange peel and some light orange marmalade. There is a bit of slightly-sweet pink grapefruit. Notes of orange creamsicle as well. The taste is really nice and orange from the start with a dry finish. Smooth midpalate on medium body. It's slightly creamy and exhibits some slight earthy notes.

As it warms even more there is a good dosing of light pine needle. This is really tasty and hop-forward. I'd say that this is the best I've seen from Bill and the folks at Mad Fox so far. Hope these big hop bombs keep on coming.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Growler thanks to billab914.
Poured a clear rich copper wisp of a head but can't fault that much due to the growler.
Smell a faint orange oil fronting a slight hop resin
Taste candied orange slices its not over the top but the taste is just sweet oranges finishes with a bit of pine resin hoppiness. I see where they came up with the name from.
mouthfeel good body still holding some decent carbonation in the growler very very smooth beer.
Overall this is very enjoyable and definitely something you can drink a growler worth of, thank you CBS snifter.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into my Jackie O's tulip...

A: Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. Pours a deep, dark amber orange color, with a gorgeous golden sunburst around the edges. Crystal clear, except for the darkness and depth of the color, which is noteworthy for the style. A two finger head quickly recedes to a beautiful half finger of off-white deliciousness. Sweet, sticky lacing coats the sides of the glass. This is one of the best looking IPA's I've seen.

S: Oh sweet goodness. I've heard it said before but I didn't believe it until now...you know that orange popsicle you used to have when you were a kid? You know...the one the teacher gave you when you were the first to finish the reading assignment, or the best behaved at recess? The one with the cream in the center? Yeah, this smells just like that. It's a freakin' orange creamsicle. The citrus hits you full force, but with a fullness, depth, and well-roundedness that can only be described as that wonderful childhood dessert. I get a tinge of piny hop scent and, if I'm not mistaken, a hint of cinnamon? This thing smells amazing, but subtler than you would expect from an IPA.

T: Well, this was a bit of a disappointment. Not bad in any way, but a letdown after the appearance and smell. A lot lot lot lot of orange, but not enough malt to balance out what is a a strange aftertaste...bitter and resiny. It's sweet and fairly hoppy, and if I didn't know any better, I'd say I was drinking a light version of an American Barleywine. It's good, but I think it lacks a little balance, as the bitterness doesn't have a backbone to fall against. I probably sound like I dislike it...I don't, it's good...but I expected it to be smoother.

M: Good. Despite the aforementioned balance problems, the carbonation is right, it's thick and sticky and coats the mouth nicely. Very enjoyable.

O: Well, I've had this beer 3 times in the past 6 months. The first time I had it, it was a revelation, a citrusy, hoppy, delicious IPA that blew my mind, and would have garnered a "5" rating on taste from me. Sadly, I've been searching for that experience again ever since. The past two releases, this just hasn't met the exceptional standard I once had for it. I'm not sure if they changed the recipe, the ingredients, or if I was just in an unusually good mood the first time I tried it and am looking back with rose colored glasses. Regardless, I don't think the taste quite lives up to the rest. That being said, it is a very good IPA and I challenge anyone to find another quite like it. I hope this stays around for a long time.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

citra hops, 22# dry hopped, 75 IBUs

a: nonic pint serving, murky pecan brown in color with a gorgeous cream colored head, thick with great retention and clinging lace, cascading like a nitro treatment

s: juicy tropical and citrus aromas with a formidable bready, toasty caramel underbody, pulpy orange and pineapple, hop tea, leafy, fantastic aroma, rustic and pungent

m: carbonation light with a medium, creamy body, very soft and satisfying, a cask serving is almost cheating when it comes to scoring appearance and mouthfeel, but the results are appreciated just the same

t: sweet citrus pulp, orange peel, leafy tea-like hop matter is tough to avoid with a dry hopping of this magnitude - but it's rustic and I like it, orange-mango juice, sweet caramel malts with nuances of toast, a balancing bitter creeps into the finish

d: Mad Fox has done quite well with cask IPAs recently, and this is my favorite so far, a delicious beer if limited in drinkability only by its abv

happy hour pint at the brewpub

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

From 09/20/11 notes. Had on tap at the brewpub.

a - Pours a bright clear dark orange color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smell of citrus hops, orange peels, pine hops, and fruity malts. Lots of citrus and oranges, which I love. Great smelling IPA.

t - Tastes of oranges, citrus hops, and pine hops. A light bitterness in the taste, and not quite as much orange as the nose, but still really good.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Some light bitterness.

o - Overall a really great IPA. Tons of hops and orange in the nose and taste, and only a light amount of bitterness. Super easy to drink and would love to have it again.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Beer served on tap at the brewpub. Beer is orangish and mildly hazy with a thin off white head of small tiny bubbles that leaves some nice lacing on the glass, beer is moderate to lowly carbonated. Looks fine.

Aroma is pretty hoppy, resiny, piny with an earthiness to the whole thing, mild fruits.

Beer is a chewer, hop flavor so thick you can eat it with a spoon. Decent level of bitterness on the back end, nice floral hop bouquet on the palate at the time of the finish. I would have this beer again for sure.

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%

Little head minimal lacing on a hazy amber with a minimal golden hue. Aroma is excellent with citrus, mostly grapefruit and orange peel citrus on the nose. Very drinkable. Lots of citrus and earth notes and right amount of bitterness applied to a well balanced malt character. Medium body and moderate carbonation.

4.27/5  rDev 0%

On tap at the brewpub.

Pours an unfiltered, gazed brown copper with a stale cream colored head that fades to a thin bubbly collar with thin webs of adequate lacing. Aroma is very hoppy, orange and grapefruit rind with light pine. Medium thick, chewy body with a smooth dry finish. Strong, mildly sweet caramel malt body with juicy orange, pulp and rind throughout. Bitterness is well balanced and there is an appropriate amount of sweetness. Very nice.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast