Orange Whip IPA - Mad Fox Brewing Company

Virginia, United States

Beer added by: blackie on 11-06-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

From 09/20/11 notes. Had on tap at the brewpub.

a - Pours a bright clear dark orange color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smell of citrus hops, orange peels, pine hops, and fruity malts. Lots of citrus and oranges, which I love. Great smelling IPA.

t - Tastes of oranges, citrus hops, and pine hops. A light bitterness in the taste, and not quite as much orange as the nose, but still really good.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Some light bitterness.

o - Overall a really great IPA. Tons of hops and orange in the nose and taste, and only a light amount of bitterness. Super easy to drink and would love to have it again.

Growler shared with Jason - grazie amigo. Poured a murky tangerine with a modest head. Nose of lemon peel and raspberries, with a ton of grapefruit. Taste is primarily a hoppy blast of citrus and pink grapefruit, with tell-tale grassy bitterness on the back end. Finishes a bit sweet with an Orange Julius stickiness (per the label - I guess) Nice carbonation. A solid IPA.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fiance picked up a growler of Orange whip and a pizza from Mad Fox tonight for my birthday. Poured into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured a dark caramel color with a thick, foamy, off-white head filling the top two inches of the glass. Such a deep, nice looking color to it.

The aroma has a very juicy citra hop profile to it. A tropical fruit, juicy pineapple and mango stand out at first, while more of a candied orange zest comes out the more I get into it. I get a little malty sweetness coming through, which really give it some smooth, balanced qualities. The juicy, citra hop flavors are the real star of the show for me though, and I love citra hops.

The taste shows more of the juicy, citra hops to it through the flavor. Again I get notes of pineapple and mango mixing with candied orange zest. I get a some malty, sweet notes coming out as I get to the finish balancing the bitterness out nicely.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is below average. Overall, I thought it was a fantastic beer. I love citra hops and this one really showcases them excellently. Very juicy and flavorful but also smooth and low on bitterness. It felt very balanced and drinkable relative to the style. It was a damn good beer overall, not quite as good as Kern's citra but it's definitely deserving to be mentioned in the same conversation of best citra beers, at least out of the ones I've had so far. This is one of the few locals that I'm going to go out of my way for frequently.

3.86/5  rDev -9.2%

On tap at the Brewpub in Falls Church.

Nice clear dark orange amber color with little head, average nose which is light citrus.

Taste is very good, clean with mainly citrus hops and good malt balance.

Mouthfeel is a bit too light for me.

Overall a very good beer that falls a bit short of my expectation for an IPA.

After the review I spoke to the bartender, found that this usually unfiltered beer was filtered for a competition, which may explain the difference between my experience and the prior consencious.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into my Jackie O's tulip...

A: Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. Pours a deep, dark amber orange color, with a gorgeous golden sunburst around the edges. Crystal clear, except for the darkness and depth of the color, which is noteworthy for the style. A two finger head quickly recedes to a beautiful half finger of off-white deliciousness. Sweet, sticky lacing coats the sides of the glass. This is one of the best looking IPA's I've seen.

S: Oh sweet goodness. I've heard it said before but I didn't believe it until now...you know that orange popsicle you used to have when you were a kid? You know...the one the teacher gave you when you were the first to finish the reading assignment, or the best behaved at recess? The one with the cream in the center? Yeah, this smells just like that. It's a freakin' orange creamsicle. The citrus hits you full force, but with a fullness, depth, and well-roundedness that can only be described as that wonderful childhood dessert. I get a tinge of piny hop scent and, if I'm not mistaken, a hint of cinnamon? This thing smells amazing, but subtler than you would expect from an IPA.

T: Well, this was a bit of a disappointment. Not bad in any way, but a letdown after the appearance and smell. A lot lot lot lot of orange, but not enough malt to balance out what is a a strange aftertaste...bitter and resiny. It's sweet and fairly hoppy, and if I didn't know any better, I'd say I was drinking a light version of an American Barleywine. It's good, but I think it lacks a little balance, as the bitterness doesn't have a backbone to fall against. I probably sound like I dislike it...I don't, it's good...but I expected it to be smoother.

M: Good. Despite the aforementioned balance problems, the carbonation is right, it's thick and sticky and coats the mouth nicely. Very enjoyable.

O: Well, I've had this beer 3 times in the past 6 months. The first time I had it, it was a revelation, a citrusy, hoppy, delicious IPA that blew my mind, and would have garnered a "5" rating on taste from me. Sadly, I've been searching for that experience again ever since. The past two releases, this just hasn't met the exceptional standard I once had for it. I'm not sure if they changed the recipe, the ingredients, or if I was just in an unusually good mood the first time I tried it and am looking back with rose colored glasses. Regardless, I don't think the taste quite lives up to the rest. That being said, it is a very good IPA and I challenge anyone to find another quite like it. I hope this stays around for a long time.

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at the brewpub.

Pours an unfiltered, gazed brown copper with a stale cream colored head that fades to a thin bubbly collar with thin webs of adequate lacing. Aroma is very hoppy, orange and grapefruit rind with light pine. Medium thick, chewy body with a smooth dry finish. Strong, mildly sweet caramel malt body with juicy orange, pulp and rind throughout. Bitterness is well balanced and there is an appropriate amount of sweetness. Very nice.

4.04/5  rDev -4.9%

Massive thanks goes out to drabmuh for sending me this one in a past trade! Shared this one with my doppelganger while sitting by the pool on my birthday weekend! Served from growler into a Stone nonic multiple times. Poured a deep red-orange with a minimal cream colored head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, orange, orange peel, citrus, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, orange, citrus, and citrus hop. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The aroma on this one was what made it for me. I could see how people would think this smells like an orange creamsicle as all of the components to make that smell possible are here. The flavor however is more citrusy IPA in nature and quite easy to drink. The hop profile on this one wasn't overly bitter, making it quite enjoyable. A definite must try if given the opportunity!

4.69/5  rDev +10.4%

64oz birthday growler from mr. Desaparecido! Thanks! Poured into chouffe tulip.

A- VERY dark for an IPA- dark amber- almost brown. Caramel head, 1cm settles quickly with some nice (if thin) lacing.

S- OK- I smelled this as I pulled it out of the box. A bit was on the growler from the fill- it smells like orange creamsicles. Hardcore, full-out orange creamsicles. It's awesome. As it sits in the glass some tart and tangy grapefruit aroma marries with the oranges. Very hoppy.

T- Very strong malt base plays off the intense fruitiness of the hops. Tangerine and mango. Concentrated orange goodness. Very tropical. Sweet, sugary malt really adds an 'oomph' to the hop profile- And the sweetness fades with the sip. Hoppy as all hell- I'm loving it.

M- Well-balanced and constructed, stellar mouthfeel, finish, the whole package. Sweet (and intensely sweet at that) but it is fleeting, the finish is nice and dry.

O- Never heard of this beer, but I fell in love at first sip. I'd pass up damn near any beer for a chance to score some more of this. Everything about this screams 'orange', and it nails it.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

big thanks to Rhettroactive

pours a deep ruby brown with a hint of copper. not much head on this but a decent bit of retention.

bits of orange and citrus with a sweet malty base. light scents of booze.

very citrus based with a dominating orange, tangerine, clementine. light bitterness towards the end. quite sweet with a candied malt. orange aftertaste with a hint of grapefruit. i even picked up a bit of orange peel.

very full bodied with a moderate carbonation. very slick and oily.

very good IPA! solid flavor through out. easy to drink and never tiring. glad i could try this. wish it had a bit more on the nose, thats my only complaint.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

I had this one on tap the other day at the brewery and was totally blown away, so I picked up a growler to take home. It's been in the fridge for a couple of days, so here goes:

A: VERY dark, murky orange, with a nice 1/2 finger + off white head that stayed afloat throughout the session.

S: Fruity, and with an incredible hop sizzle that was present under very close inspection, but not in-your-face.

T: I told someone this week that this one reminded me of Nugget Nectar (even though NN is made with nugget and this one uses Citra). I think it's because of the floral bouquet here: orange zest, pineapple, and just pure Caribbean delight!

M: The carbonation is somewhat low (as I've noticed with a lot of Mad Fox's brews), but that was appropriate. A nice bitter punch on the end, but with a stable malt backbone to balance that out. Fresh, fresh, fresh!

O: Incredibly tasty stuff and definitely the best of Bill Madden's creations I've tried so far. PLEASE, if you live in DC (or anywhere near on the East Coast for that matter), make sure you make the trip out to Mad Fox during Orange Whip's run!

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Beer served on tap at the brewpub. Beer is orangish and mildly hazy with a thin off white head of small tiny bubbles that leaves some nice lacing on the glass, beer is moderate to lowly carbonated. Looks fine.

Aroma is pretty hoppy, resiny, piny with an earthiness to the whole thing, mild fruits.

Beer is a chewer, hop flavor so thick you can eat it with a spoon. Decent level of bitterness on the back end, nice floral hop bouquet on the palate at the time of the finish. I would have this beer again for sure.

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

On tap at the brewpub poured into a sampler glass. Pours a hazy reddish amber color with a large offwhite head. Decent head retention and lacing. Aroma of strong citrus hops, caramel and toasted malts. The taste is big citrus hops including orange, pineapple, grapefruit and candied citrus, as well as caramel malts. Medium bodied. Strong lingering bitterness.

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Strange name for an outstanding IPA.

On-Tap from a temporary final bbl. at Mad Fox on March 2, 2011.

Beautiful orange color with a creamy white head which lasted throughout the pint glass finish.

Nice hoppy, fruity aroma and a nice bite from hop oils in the finish.

The taste was really complex with a nice fruit start that wasn't overly sweet and finished with a wonderful hoppy finish.

An an IPA guy I feel that I am left short with my IPA's but this one was not the case.

One of the best IPA's in that .abv range that I have tasted.

Bravo!! to brewer Bill Madden, another great beer!!!

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%

On tap at Mad Fox Brewing Co. 1/23/11
From tap to nonic pint glass

A: Hazy red rock amber. It's strikingly similar in presentation to an unfiltered apple cider on an autumn's day. 1.25 finger head leads a lack of substantial lacing.

S: "Up to the plate steps Senor Pineapple. He's a home run hitter and has Hall of Fame potential." Bob Uecker couldn't have called it better, as BAM! - freshly sliced pineapple hits the nose head on. I'm giddy from head to toe. I lose complete touch with reality for a split second as I giggle like a little schoolboy. I literally cannot wait to get into the 'Whip.

T: Wow.

Simply wow. There is no better way to describe it. I've had a lot of beer, both good and bad. But I cannot for the life of me think of many brews that have struck me as almost life changing. As the reviewing instructions say, "5's should be rare, that it cannot impove anymore." The Orange Whip, in my humble opinion, is one of those rare beers. It is like squeezing a hop cone directly into your mouth. "Paging Dr. Malt, we need a hop IV stat!" Citrus explodes onto the tastebuds. Like a virus it spreads, invading every little nook and cranny of my mouth. Hands down, this is the freshest, most scrumdiddlyumptious west coast style, American IPA I've had on tap to date.

M: Not as voluptuous as some IPA's, and most DIPA's. The carbonation level seems well suited for the brew, and this unfiltered beer certainly packs some reasonable weight.

O: I've said it before and I'll say it again - Mad Fox's Orange Whip American IPA is one of the best American IPA's I've consumed. Buy your plane ticket. Book your seat on the train. Fill your gas tank. Whatever it takes, just make sure you have a pint of the 'Whip before you die.

*Paired with fresh yeast donuts & pork belly eggs benedict

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Copper color with a thin cask yellowish foam of a head.

Aromas of citrus and a hint of toasted malt.

Not a huge hop flavor, but pronounced citrus and pine that definitely say IPA. Sweet and toasty malt notes loiter in the background.

Medium body, lightly bitter finish - the hops are more on the flavor here.

Very nice, one of my favorite IPA's from this very welcome new addition to the inner beltway NOVA scene.

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Tried on tap at the brew pub. Nice burnt orange color, aromas of oranges, oranges, and more oranges. Tastes like dry hopped orange juice, but its awesome. Rich fruit forward front with a nice clean, dry, hoppy finish. Apparently uses a new hybrid hop, taste is quite unique and worth checking out.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

On tap at the brewpub on 11.13.2010. A bit disappointed that I missed the cask version, but NotF was worth it. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a very hazy dark amber-honey color. Definitely unfiltered. There is a single finger of off-white head with minimal lacing to begin. Served a bit cold and as I let it warm and gave it a few good swirls, the head came back up and started leaving some really nice lacing.

The nose is orange rind with some slight earthy hips. A bit of bitter orange peel and some light orange marmalade. There is a bit of slightly-sweet pink grapefruit. Notes of orange creamsicle as well. The taste is really nice and orange from the start with a dry finish. Smooth midpalate on medium body. It's slightly creamy and exhibits some slight earthy notes.

As it warms even more there is a good dosing of light pine needle. This is really tasty and hop-forward. I'd say that this is the best I've seen from Bill and the folks at Mad Fox so far. Hope these big hop bombs keep on coming.

3.6/5  rDev -15.3%

Had a cask version of this at the Brickskeller.

A: dark brown, very cloudy; no head, but that's what you would expect out of a cask; don't let that deter you
S: very pungent, along the lines of gargonzola cheese
T: Whew! very unusual flavor; the orange is very subtle; the main profile resembles Vick's cough drops in a grapefruit juice; the oak cask is very discernible
M: very muted in the mouth, but again that's because of the cask, so I marked up for that
D: very hard to get into this beer, but I couldn't stop drinking it

This was one strange beer. Get one if you want to explore the outer reaches of the beer galaxy.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

citra hops, 22# dry hopped, 75 IBUs

a: nonic pint serving, murky pecan brown in color with a gorgeous cream colored head, thick with great retention and clinging lace, cascading like a nitro treatment

s: juicy tropical and citrus aromas with a formidable bready, toasty caramel underbody, pulpy orange and pineapple, hop tea, leafy, fantastic aroma, rustic and pungent

m: carbonation light with a medium, creamy body, very soft and satisfying, a cask serving is almost cheating when it comes to scoring appearance and mouthfeel, but the results are appreciated just the same

t: sweet citrus pulp, orange peel, leafy tea-like hop matter is tough to avoid with a dry hopping of this magnitude - but it's rustic and I like it, orange-mango juice, sweet caramel malts with nuances of toast, a balancing bitter creeps into the finish

d: Mad Fox has done quite well with cask IPAs recently, and this is my favorite so far, a delicious beer if limited in drinkability only by its abv

happy hour pint at the brewpub

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last