Orange Whip IPA - Mad Fox Brewing Company

Orange Whip IPA
No picture uploaded.

Mad Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

(Beer added by: blackie on 11-06-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orange Whip IPA Alström Bros

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A floral IPA that I thoroughly enjoyed my first few times having it. It is a occasional offering by the brewpub so I can't say if the beer or my tastes have changed. Now it seems sweeter and more malty than I like.

A: good dark amber, fairly clear given darkness
S: floral, orange notes (shockingly?) - I almost think the sweetness is being foreshadowing
T/M: more malty and less mouthfeel than I want from an IPA. There is a slight tug on the tongue, but the honey-orange sweetness is the most prevalent. This isn't bad, but not what I am really looking for.
O: a decent offering I always grab one of when it's on tap, but I've stopped getting more than one.

Re-review (original 08/2013): this batch (to me) is less sweet and a little more bitter than my original review. The feel and taste change can be summed up in that they tend towards orange-rind (from the previous honey-orange sweetness). Net effect: +.25 on taste, feel, overall; -.25 on smell.

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

Growler shared by MNishCT77. Thanks Mark!

The beer is dark amber with a tan head. Certainly darker than I anticipated. Citra hops are present but only play a supporting role. This beer is the definition of balance, and I don't mean that disparagingly, as is often the case when discussing IPAs and DIPAs. Sweet citrus with a sturdy malt body. Again, the balance is so elegant here. Bread crust and citric hops in perfect harmony. Really tasty. This beer has been on my radar for years. I'm grateful for the opportunity to try it.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

16 oz. pint glass purchased at the brewery on the release date (3/1/04), drank over an hour at the bar.

A: 2/3 - deep amber-brown, received with a subtle glass lacing, moderate alcohol legs

S: 10/12 - moderate amount of Citra hop aroma - orange, tangerine and lemon; moderate biscuity malt presence; some alcohols as well

T: 16/20 - on the front of the tongue, there is a moderate hop bitterness that develops into classic Citra flavors - tangerine, orange and mango - with no dank or catty presence; in the middle of the mouth, the citrus flavors continue to develop but there is a big malt presence here than many American IPAs - lots of Marris Otter in here, I think; little alcohol flavors; finishes dry and inviting

M: 4/5 - moderate hop oils, some alcohol fullness

O: 9/10 - solid hoppy pale ale but, to be honest, it's not what I expected with an English IPA color and malt backbone under Citra; it's good stuff but there are other many other commercial Citra beers out there that I prefer - FFF ZD and Pipework's Citra Ninja immediately come to mind; nonetheless, I'd recommend it as a milder, balanced Citra beer, but don't come here looking for a Citra bomb

TOTAL - 41/50