Join our email list →

Virginia, United States | website

American Stout | 5.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: russwbeck on 02-23-2013

A stout ale crafted with dark malts and a heavy dose of cold pressed coffee from local roaster Beanetics of Annandale, Virginia to lend a pleasant and smooth roasty finish. This full bodied stout will have a malty and smooth body as a result of the addition of flaked oats. Lightly hopped to allow the bold flavors coffee lovers will certainly enjoy.
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.49/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.34/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass at the brewpub in Falls Church, VA.

Color is nearly opaque black, with little head

Taste is good, well balanced, coffee is pronounced

Mouthfeel is thin for a stout, carbonation low

Overall not bad, but lacking what I expect from the style.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

3.47/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%

A: The growler opened with a huge POP that I was not expecting. The beer pours out a relatively clear brown color, but rests in my glass deep and dark. The head only builds up slightly, but is brown in color and doesn't lace all that much. 3

S: The aroma is of coffee, wait I think I'm getting some coffee, and oh wait, more coffee. Fresh roasted, the coffee doesn't smell unlike what I drink each morning. There are some roasted malts working their way in as well, with perhaps some fresh hoppiness. I love the smell of coffee, so I love the smell of Leaded. 4

T: It really tastes like a cup of coffee. I've had my share of coffee stouts in the past, but none were as focused on it as this. You can taste everything from toasted coffee beans, to the grinds lingering on the back of the palate. The roasted malts hang out at the very end, but I don't note any chocolate or hops at all. 4

MF: Medium body with the perfect amount of carbonation I was hoping for. It's so drinkable I'm worried about how much caffeine I'm putting into my system so late in the day. 4

Value: I picked this up on half off growler night...so all 64oz were less than $10. That honestly is a deal I don't plan on ever passing up again. 5

O: Homerun in my mind. I have been waiting for such a coffee forward stout, and now I have it. Mad Fox puts out a ton of great beers, I'm really lucky to live so close to it. 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +11%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.69/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On cask. Poured into a nonic pint glass.

This beer is all about the coffee. If you like iced coffee with some foam and a bit of alcohol kick then try this beer. The contrast between the smooth mouthfeel when on cask and the lasting bitterness is unique. 3.75

A – Pours a dark brown with a nice one-finger lasting brown head. Nice Belgian-like lacing. The last head and nice lacing were somewhat surprising considering that this beer was had on cask. 4

S - Coffee, no chocolate or other stout-associated aromas. 3.75

T - Roasted malts and coffee followed by herbal and burnt bitterness at the end. At a 6.5 ABV you can still taste some faint alcohol. 3.5

MF - Smooth and creamy, medium bodied with a dry finish that leaves a lasting bitterness on the palate. 4

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

On tap at brewpub:
Pours an opaque black with a nice creamy head that leaves me thinking the glass is tan instead of clear.

Nose is dominated by a morning coffee. With cream and maybe one sugar. A light astringent bitterness is also present.

Taste follows the nose on the coffee/cream/light sweetness, but adds a little punch of herbal bitterness with it. The bitterness grows, but the coffee rebounds such that it seems like drinking some coffee beans. The oat doesn't add a roughness that I sometimes get with it, but I think affects the end taste a tad with flavor and the mildest of chalky dryness.

I really enjoyed this beer, a medium bodied, coffee-centric brew with a nice balancing bitterness.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Leaded from Mad Fox Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.