Leaded - Mad Fox Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Mad Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Stout |  5.10% ABV

A stout ale crafted with dark malts and a heavy dose of cold pressed coffee from local roaster Beanetics of Annandale, Virginia to lend a pleasant and smooth roasty finish. This full bodied stout will have a malty and smooth body as a result of the addition of flaked oats. Lightly hopped to allow the bold flavors coffee lovers will certainly enjoy.

(Beer added by: russwbeck on 02-23-2013)
3.35/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass at the brewpub in Falls Church, VA.

Color is nearly opaque black, with little head

Taste is good, well balanced, coffee is pronounced

Mouthfeel is thin for a stout, carbonation low

Overall not bad, but lacking what I expect from the style.

jfmorey, Mar 20, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Thorpe429, Mar 21, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

ipas-for-life, May 23, 2013

Eriktheipaman, May 18, 2013

billab914, Feb 26, 2013
4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

A: The growler opened with a huge POP that I was not expecting. The beer pours out a relatively clear brown color, but rests in my glass deep and dark. The head only builds up slightly, but is brown in color and doesn't lace all that much. 3

S: The aroma is of coffee, wait I think I'm getting some coffee, and oh wait, more coffee. Fresh roasted, the coffee doesn't smell unlike what I drink each morning. There are some roasted malts working their way in as well, with perhaps some fresh hoppiness. I love the smell of coffee, so I love the smell of Leaded. 4

T: It really tastes like a cup of coffee. I've had my share of coffee stouts in the past, but none were as focused on it as this. You can taste everything from toasted coffee beans, to the grinds lingering on the back of the palate. The roasted malts hang out at the very end, but I don't note any chocolate or hops at all. 4

MF: Medium body with the perfect amount of carbonation I was hoping for. It's so drinkable I'm worried about how much caffeine I'm putting into my system so late in the day. 4

Value: I picked this up on half off growler night...so all 64oz were less than $10. That honestly is a deal I don't plan on ever passing up again. 5

O: Homerun in my mind. I have been waiting for such a coffee forward stout, and now I have it. Mad Fox puts out a ton of great beers, I'm really lucky to live so close to it. 4.5

russwbeck, Feb 23, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

drabmuh, Mar 31, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

cfinch2, Mar 26, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

MarvinSnyder, Mar 19, 2013
Leaded from Mad Fox Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.