Grassroots Arctic Saison - Grassroots Brewing

Grassroots Brewing
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: N17shelfside on 07-17-2013

This ale embodies the spirit of perpetual creative collaboration in conjunction with disciplined brewing endeavor.

We trekked to Alaska and helped craft this rustic Saison, bringing with us the essence and imagination of our Vermont Farmstead family.

Brewed and Bottled by Anchorage Brewing Company, Anchorage, Alaska
Reviews by kevanb:
4.1/5  rDev 0%

750ml bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead Wine Glass.

The beer pours a light, golden straw color, very cloudy with some noticeable sediment that settles at the bottom of the glass. Atop the beer rises a lovely white head, nearly two to three fingers high that has very nice retention and leaves a good network of soapy lace behind. The aroma is very straightforward for a saison, lots of lively yeast, a touch of clove, lots of wildflower, pale grain and straw, light but prominent funk, with some earthy qualities as well that come across nicely. The flavors are on target with the nose, lots of yeast, light funkiness that is a bit cheesy, rustic grain, almost like spelt or wheat that goes along with the simple pale grain, a bit of clove, some light fruit that is a touch acidic and some nice floral qualities. The body is great, really lively, carbonation is high, but very smooth with just enough bubbliness to tickle the tongue, coats the mouth quite well, with a nice creamy sensation at the finish that leaves a nice dry tingly feeling behind.

Verdict: A very nice Saison from Grassroots/Anchorage. I really enjoy this style of beer from both breweries and it's clear that Shaun's vision came to fruition here, a really palatable saison that is both earthy and rustic, but a little wild. While it doesn't offer up much in the way of over the top complexity or risk taking, it's very refined for a simple, straightforward saison. I do wish that there was a woodiness to it, which is a great signature of both breweries.

4.79/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Second Siason I've ever had. first was something from Blue Moon and it was quite well for a starter. So this is the real first not connected to a BMC.

L: When I uncorked it, smoke billowed in wisps. Pale, pale, pale yellow and merky! It looks like a really light hefe. Poured into Sam Adams pint glass and got a solid two fingers worth of head. Head is very spongy )thicker than a lace) Glass stays sudsy as you drink, and a nice thin layer of head.

S: When first poured, it smells very vermouth-ish, closer to champagne. It wasn't bad, it smells sophisticated. Its not a normal beer smell if you've never tried. But you can smellhints of yeast and light hops. After my second glass it smells close to a Chardonnay. Whick is honestly great as its one of my favorite styles of wine, and it too smells rather vermouth like.

T: What I am growing to like about Siason is two things in particular. First, this is what I noticed on this bottle. If IPA's and Pale Ales are to shine in hop, and Stouts truly shine in malted and roasted barley, Siasons shine in yeast. Which I never knew is what I wanted. I didn't really think the taste could be attributed to yeast. I had always heard about the Belgium wild yeasts, but I had no idea they could have such a fruity impact on the taste. Secondly with a Siason, I realize that the taste of every sip is like sticking your hand into a Crown Royal bag of Skittles in the dark to pull out three and put them into your mouth. Every sip is not the same, but you get a lot of the same notes in different waves with new combos. That is why it's now one of my new sought after styles. With this, I do get a lot of that grape taste that I smell. But I do get that intoxicating taste of fresh baked bread with a brittle and chewy crust. I'm curious what hops was used that was so delicate but so popping to taste like grape and white peach. Barley. I can't tell whatit is, but it is subtle and sweet. The taste does tend to linger for a while front to back. and it still tastes good. There is that slight enjoyable bitter taste, like chewing on the white leather that holds the sweet pulp of a ruby red grapefruite, but really really muted.

F: To me it has that "perfect" beer feel. There's that thing I imagine when I think "man I want a nice wonderful beer" and I think I want it sudsy, nice and frothy, and a slightly thicker than water feel across my tongue. I wish I could find an IPA that had the feel like this. It feels....right! I'm glad I live in a state that I can enjoy beers like this. I know it is brewed in Vermont, but it was brought together with Anchorage Brewing Company, and Alaska has some amazing beers just like this.

O: Slowly Siason is coming up as one of my favorite styles next to Porter, IPA, and Wheat. Every sip is a gamble, always feel like you are tasting the wonderful yeasts that make the magic happen because godisgood. I'm not saying this is a perfect beer, but each individual thing I'm analyzing is damn near perfect to make me happy! SO GLAD I took a gamble on this. For some reason Siason is kind of hard to find.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was a Batch #2 bottle; March 2014.

I'm not much for reviews, but this is impressive! An awesome example of what Brett can do for a Saison.

Main reason I wanted to review this beer was to heed caution to fellow BAs...
If you have a Batch #3 bottle, do yourself a favor and put at least a year on it- you will be rewarded.

4.69/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pored from a corked and caged 750 ml dated March 2014 into Hill Farmstead stemware at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA. Pours that murky hazy pale sunset fog that makes me salivate... The aroma quickly reveals the funky characteristics I so crave. The taste delivers. Funkier, fruitier, and more delicious with each sip. Refreshing and satisfying. A must enjoyable bottle and glass to linger over. Orange and pineapple, maybe a little past ripe, dominate the finish. Velvety smooth but undefined mouthfeel. This beer makes the day better.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Batch #1, bottled May 2013.

In a teku glass this beer was gold in color, with a small white head. There was scant lace.

Spicy aroma, some citrus, some grassy hops.

Lemon taste, some lemon zest. Sharp spice. A bit of funk.

This beer was a little sharper than I wanted it to be. Overall not a bad beer. I probably would have ranked it higher if I hadn't had Boulevard's Saison Brett the day before.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev -1.5%

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

3.08/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Clear light rose color with a decent head; slightly hazy.

Barnyard aroma with some much more inviting fruity aspects. Mild tartness, light funk and mixed fruits dominate the taste.

Feel: Body should be both livelier and a bit fuller.

O: Moderately complex and nicely original.

Grassroots Arctic Saison from Grassroots Brewing