Grassroots Arctic Saison - Grassroots Brewing

Grassroots Brewing
Vermont, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: N17shelfside on 07-17-2013

This ale embodies the spirit of perpetual creative collaboration in conjunction with disciplined brewing endeavor.

We trekked to Alaska and helped craft this rustic Saison, bringing with us the essence and imagination of our Vermont Farmstead family.

Brewed and Bottled by Anchorage Brewing Company, Anchorage, Alaska
Ratings: 696 | Reviews: 96
4.79/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Second Siason I've ever had. first was something from Blue Moon and it was quite well for a starter. So this is the real first not connected to a BMC.

L: When I uncorked it, smoke billowed in wisps. Pale, pale, pale yellow and merky! It looks like a really light hefe. Poured into Sam Adams pint glass and got a solid two fingers worth of head. Head is very spongy )thicker than a lace) Glass stays sudsy as you drink, and a nice thin layer of head.

S: When first poured, it smells very vermouth-ish, closer to champagne. It wasn't bad, it smells sophisticated. Its not a normal beer smell if you've never tried. But you can smellhints of yeast and light hops. After my second glass it smells close to a Chardonnay. Whick is honestly great as its one of my favorite styles of wine, and it too smells rather vermouth like.

T: What I am growing to like about Siason is two things in particular. First, this is what I noticed on this bottle. If IPA's and Pale Ales are to shine in hop, and Stouts truly shine in malted and roasted barley, Siasons shine in yeast. Which I never knew is what I wanted. I didn't really think the taste could be attributed to yeast. I had always heard about the Belgium wild yeasts, but I had no idea they could have such a fruity impact on the taste. Secondly with a Siason, I realize that the taste of every sip is like sticking your hand into a Crown Royal bag of Skittles in the dark to pull out three and put them into your mouth. Every sip is not the same, but you get a lot of the same notes in different waves with new combos. That is why it's now one of my new sought after styles. With this, I do get a lot of that grape taste that I smell. But I do get that intoxicating taste of fresh baked bread with a brittle and chewy crust. I'm curious what hops was used that was so delicate but so popping to taste like grape and white peach. Barley. I can't tell whatit is, but it is subtle and sweet. The taste does tend to linger for a while front to back. and it still tastes good. There is that slight enjoyable bitter taste, like chewing on the white leather that holds the sweet pulp of a ruby red grapefruite, but really really muted.

F: To me it has that "perfect" beer feel. There's that thing I imagine when I think "man I want a nice wonderful beer" and I think I want it sudsy, nice and frothy, and a slightly thicker than water feel across my tongue. I wish I could find an IPA that had the feel like this. It feels....right! I'm glad I live in a state that I can enjoy beers like this. I know it is brewed in Vermont, but it was brought together with Anchorage Brewing Company, and Alaska has some amazing beers just like this.

O: Slowly Siason is coming up as one of my favorite styles next to Porter, IPA, and Wheat. Every sip is a gamble, always feel like you are tasting the wonderful yeasts that make the magic happen because godisgood. I'm not saying this is a perfect beer, but each individual thing I'm analyzing is damn near perfect to make me happy! SO GLAD I took a gamble on this. For some reason Siason is kind of hard to find.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

A: Pours a golden yellow, crystal clear, w/ a white head that dissipated kinda quick

S: Smell is funky brett, lemon rind, pineapple, musty barnyardy goodness

T: More funky slightly tart brett, lemon-lime, grapefruit

M: Light bodied and perfect, a little tingly and has a good slightly lingering finish

O: This beer is amazing, the best saison I think I've ever had.

4.69/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pored from a corked and caged 750 ml dated March 2014 into Hill Farmstead stemware at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA. Pours that murky hazy pale sunset fog that makes me salivate... The aroma quickly reveals the funky characteristics I so crave. The taste delivers. Funkier, fruitier, and more delicious with each sip. Refreshing and satisfying. A must enjoyable bottle and glass to linger over. Orange and pineapple, maybe a little past ripe, dominate the finish. Velvety smooth but undefined mouthfeel. This beer makes the day better.

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch #2. Need to enter more words.

4.56/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch # 1 May/2013 Picked up at Meulemans' Craft Draughts in Rawsonville (Jamaica), Vermont!

We have an extreme gusher here! Cork came off way too easily and then the bottle proceeded to spew foam and beer everywhere. Literally. Lost about a third of the liquid. I didn't make things better by trying to stop it with my hand which pressurized it and shot it even further in all directions. Kind of upset but what can ya do? Still turned out to be a great beer.

A: Super hazy, beautiful golden-orange-yellow with a massive, bubbly, fluffy, bright white head leaving behind lots of lace and retention. As the style should be!

S: Heavy on the yeast, funk, hay, barnyard, tart fruit, a bit of booze, and some faint hints of wood. Of course the Brett steals the show, though. Serious funk. As strange as it sounds, it actually smells kind of arctic!

T: Incredibly funky, yeasty, fruity, and Bretty! Great tartness while remaining smooth and funky. Sat outside on a cold, quiet night to enjoy this one. Paired well.

M: Fantastic body, spot-on carbonation for the style, and massive flavor that does not get boring or bland. Every sip is delicious.

O: Even being a gusher, I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. The incident didn't take anything away from the drinking experience. Grassroots/HF (& Anchorage) can do no wrong!

4.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- Pale yellow, visible carbonation with 1/8" head that sticks around.

S- Brett funk, pineapple, grass, melon, apples and citrus

T- More tart than I expected from the smell. Granny smith apples, lemon, funk, spices.

M- Medium high carbonation which works well with the style. No complaints here.

O- I tried this a couple of times and can say this is a truly great saison. It has a near perfect balance of earth, spice, hops and sourness. Reminiscent of fantome saisons I've had in the past. Hats off to a near perfect saison!

4.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This one is right up there with Boulevard Saison-Brett and Logsdon Seizoen Bretta for me. Wonderful use of oak and brett. The mouthfeel is fantastic and completely effervescent. You get lemons, fruit juice, and straw on the nose and in the taste. So easy to drink and completely delicious. Way too underrated.

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

what a special beer this is, one of the best straight up brett experiences i have had in some time. sunny blonde beer with some appropriate yeast haze and a tall white airy head that rises well above the rim of the glass and clings on for ages. tart and funky is the nose, with citrus in there too. more brett than saison yeast, and just the right hop selection and dosage for this beer to be bitterly balanced but yeast not hop flavored predominantly. not often i get a beer of this depth and quality, just so alive on the palate, with the brett getting a little puckery later on. wet grass and orchard fruit notes come from the saison yeast, and the wheat malt base seems the perfect vehicle for these light summery interesting flavors to link up. one of the most dry saisons i can recall, with the brett reconditioning being fully complete. im left refreshed and intrigued and thirsty for more, i love when beer makes me this happy!

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Batch 2, bottled March 2014.

Pours clear pale golden yellow. One finger of fizzy white head, okay retention, nice lacing. Sprinkling of bubbles spread throughout the glass.

Smell is a lovely blend of floral and funk. Light flowers in the nose, magnolias, then a potent brett barnyard funk comes ripping through, both disrupting and harmonizing with those flowery aromas. They combine fantastically, synergizing and bringing out the best in each aspect. The flowery bits have their thin-ness supported by the pungency of the funk, and the funk doesn't become overpowering because of the airy character of the flowers.

Taste is even better. A fantastic variety of flavors, with lemony citrus, earthy funk, and tangy spice leading the way. There are light overtones of those same flowers so prominent in the smell. Mild bitterness blends with the citrus in the finish Each sip brings waves of complexity. Outstanding.

Feel works quite well with the taste. Medium-light body. Carbonation that rises slowly but peaks high, turning fuzzy in the finish.

This is a stunning saison. I'm getting repetitive here, but the combination of different flavors and characteristics is fantastic. Varied, but it all works together nearly perfectly. Wow.

4.44/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apparently never reviewed this great beer. Thanks to threelions.

Light fizzy head, murky orange juice color.

Nose big Brett, farmhouse funk, lemon zest, saison funk light spices, wheat creamy, grainy, very Brett farmhouse funk, even little pineapple.

Taste stats with more fruit, pineapple, citrus, lemon, zest, etc. Big Brett funk, farmhouse saison funk, mild spices, etc. Big rind bitterness, little earthy bitterness, juice pineapple tangerine juice. Little creamy wheat too. Finish is dry fair bitterness rind bitterness, more lemon, pineapple and citrus juice.

Mouth is med to lighter bod, nice carb.

Overall awesome. Not the best to look at, but aroma and flavor characters are awesome, nice Brett funk, pineapple and citrus, creamy wheat, bitterness, lemony, etc, just great.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Batch #1 - May 2013. Poured in to HF stemmed tulip.

A - Cloudy golden yellow; orange towards the centre. Opaque. Two fingers of white head.

S - Funk, lemon, spice, pepper, coriander and some fresh citrus.

T - Funk, Belgian yeast, light banana, lemon, pepper, some oak/woody notes and some toast. A bright and fresh hop profile.

M - Medium body. Dry. Moderate carbonation.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Kyle for sharing this at the dive.

A - Poured into a tulip a nice hazy golden straw hue with a thin had that fades to leave light lacing and a thin clouds of a head.

S - Aromas of funky barnyard, lemons, faint horse blanket, super gentle saison spices

T - Taste is nice fruity green apples, barnyard funk, Belgian yeast, , faint lemons. More green apples than lemons here which is super nice.

M - Mouthfeel is very nice for the style, super sessionable, firmly carbonated, well done.

O - Overall I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. Good Apple notes along with barnyard. Well done collaboration cc which is fast and few between.

4.41/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This was one of the many beers poured at the December Albany Taproom bottle share. I brought this bottle, at the time about 6 months old. I heard it wasn't very stellar (for what it's supposed to be) fresh so I laid it down to let the Brett hopefully work its magic. Poured out of a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a cloudy amber pale color - it's crazy how much this beer has apparently cleared up in the past half year from a vibrant golden amber to a pale, nearly milky looking amber. The head is definitely stellar, as always with anything funky from Anchorage. Leaves behind some good sticky lacing at the sides of the glass, and retains a rustic, proper presentation overall. Well done.

As for the aroma? Magnificent! I'm amazed at what I was whiffing at through and through. Ever wanted to see what Brett can do at its full potential? Check this out: huge tropical notes of kiwi, lychee, mango, and passion fruit burst out of the glass, followed by perfumed notes of lavender and violets, as well as a tinge of green pepper, white peppercorns, slight toasted leathery notes, and a little bit of leafy, tobacco filled phenols. Finishes with strong citrus notes, mainly of tangerines, as well as pears, green apple, pine and cloves. Contains a funky, wet barnyard aroma that takes me straight to a farm. Amazingly refreshing, vibrant, warm stuff. Smells crisp as any good saison should - truly an achievement as far farmhouse ales tend to go.

The flavor is not as mind blowing as the aroma, but it's definitely in a strong league, for what it's worth. The citrus notes are far more up front than the tropical notes, but it's definitely refreshing - and, combined with the pear and green apple notes from the yeast, it manages to be a dry, fruity, crisp saison as good as any top quality one you can get in Belgium (in this case, I'm thinking of d'Erpe-Mere). Nice white pepper, baking soda, wet hay, and slight lactic funk at the finish. Leathery, toasted, and very floral, with a lot of the lavender shining through. Finishes dry, but with a refreshing crisp bready flavor that melds well with the earthiness from the yeast, as well as the crisp flavor. Carbonation is effervescent like a good sparkling wine, and allows a lot of the more gentle flavors to pass through against the funk. Very easy to drink - and by far my favorite beer of the night.

Can Anchorage and Hill Farmstead brew this again?? Maybe make it year round? This lays down terrifically well, and is totally worth the $18 price tag I paid for. This is a prime example of how farmhouse beers in America are only getting better, and when everything is done properly towards a beer's profile, the addition of Brett only makes everything more complex, rustic, and unique. I really wish I had another bottle to see how it's progressing, but I honestly think the sweet spot is 6-8 months. Terrific, wonderful stuff. Really exceeded my expectations in many ways.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a couple bottles on our trip to Vermont. Generally like brett-fermented beers and saisons. Loved everything from Hill Farmstead I've had. What's not to be excited about?

A - Opaque straw blond with a voluptuous foamy head that sticks around. Pretty little pour.

S - Gueuze-y overtones. I'm talking white wine vinegar, green apple, barnyard funk, wet grass. Also, some softer notes like cornhusks and sourdough. More subdued than a lambic, more sour than a saison.

T - That's compelling. The first notes are sweet and playful: rosewater and wheat. Then comes the sour grape and apple. This throbbing farmhouse melange slinks off to a pleasantly ashy aftertaste. The corny, biscuity saison quality is contending with the funk. This is wilder than, say, Crooked Stave Surette. Still, nicely balances.

M - Medium. Sticky but effervescent.

O - Rich and bold, but still well rounded and a pleasant easy drink. Everything is well integrated now, so I wonder how it will develop over time.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pale lemon yellow brew, hinting of straw, slightly cloudy but still somewhat translucent. Small-ish white head with good retention and lacing.

Smell is of lemongrass, mild Brett, bright hops, and wheat.

Taste follows the nose: slightly sour, fairly dry, and barely sweet. A tiny bit sour, a little bit of funk. Beyond that, some perfectly balanced bright hops, lemon, and wheat. Fantastic; I can't wait to try this beer with some age (although I suppose waiting is quite literally the only option).

Medium feel, almost silky, quite cloying, with a decent carbonation sting and dry finish. Very drinkable; just enough sting to make you take a little bit of time.

This is a fantastic saison; the balance of the earthy wheat tones, the bright lemony hops, and the yeast all come together in a subtle yet complex package that is eminently drinkable (and at 6%, it really is). I will try this one again in a year or two and see if the Brett development makes it even more interesting.

4.39/5  rDev +7.6%

Very lively and refreshing. A nice summertime porch beer.

LOOK: Golden color; slightly cloud (appropriate to the style) with a big effervescent white crown. Big bubbles. "Bumpy" head reminds me of a cloud.

SMELL: Slightly tart bouquet.

TASTE: Not as sour as I'd expect from something that features brett (though those notes are there). Carbonation helps the flavors open on the tongue. Lively, refreshing.

FEEL: Smooth drinking -- like liquid summer. Carbonation is tingly on the tongue.

Note: poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a 16 oz. shaker glass.

4.39/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Poured a glowing orange with lots of carbonation leaving a huge white head and a lively bottle. The head retention is amazing.

S: Loads of fruits! It smelled sordove sweet. Very fresh on aroma, very appealing. I hope it tastes as good as it smells

T: It did, tastes great! A healthy dose of brett keeps it a little funky but this beer just screams like a fruit basket mated with Hawaii. Lots of passion fruits and orchard style fruits. Clean, crisp, a light sweetness and oh so refreshing.

M- Light-medium body, great mouthfeel, very refreshing, clean finish, very carbonated

O: Excellent! I did think it was a little sweet for the style though

4.34/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy golden color with a large white head that goes down quickly. Scent is VERY funky! I love it! Funky barnyard and brett with some hay and tart aromas. Fresh baked sourdough bread with some sharp cheese and citrus notes. Slightly spicy, but more funky than spicy. Love the aroma on this beer. Taste is initially tarts with a good amount of lemon and other citrus flavors. Good amount of barnyard, grass, and pepper. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, crisp, and dry. Drinkability is very high. Overall, I think this is an awesome saison that certainly lets the brett shine through as a fresh beer. I would still like to buy another bottle to see how it evolves over a year or so.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a stemmed glass. This is batch #2 - bottled March 2014.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, not-very-hazy amber/gold and leaves a couple fingers of fluffy white head that take a while to fade to some leftover white atop the beer. Carbonation bubbles can be seen floating to the surface.

Smell: Lemon zest, lively hops, slight grassy funk, lime, citrus, hint of crackery malts. Nice, lively, refreshing scent.

Taste: The crackery malts are still here but a little more pronounced, lemon zest, citrus rinds, grassy hops. Huge drinkability with nice, light refreshing flavors. There is just a hint of funk and tartness, but quite mild.

Mouth-feel: Medium to well carbonated with a thin to medium, slightly creamy body. Finishes incredibly smooth.

Overall: Such a refreshing, drinkable beer - for that this is incredibly well done. Nice light hop, malt, and grassy flavors make this one a fantastic summer beer, ironic that it is "Arctic" in the name.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle served in a Duvel tulip
Batch-1 May 2013

A - This beer is cloudy with a golden pale color, a massive rocky white head slowly settles with cavernous mounds of bubbles. Sloppy wet lacing sinks down the sides of the glass.

S - Grain dust, earthy hay, grainy pilsner malts, lemons and minerals, the yeast is tangy and bready with a very mild funk and timid white pepper phenolics. Mushrooms come out once it warms up.

T - Tangy lemons, mineral soda water, slightly acidic, the dusty hay and grassiness fade quickly as it warms. Bright tropical fruits work well against the grainy pale malt. Lemony tang really comes around on the backend along with a floral/herbal bitterness finishing crisp and clean.

M - Active seltzer-like carbonation, light body, crisp and clean.

Bright, dry, and very refreshing. A very nice Saison indeed. Extremely crisp with mineral water and tangy lemon taking the stage. I am thoroughly enjoying this beer on a brisk 28 degree November night.

4.29/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml into tulip glass.

A: Pours a lightly cloudy straw color with a huge, billowing , frothy, bright white head that slowly faded into a very fuzzy thick film that left a thick sheet of sticky lace down the glass.
S: Huge notes of Brett dominate with earthy and spicy scents, followed by strong herbal and slight stone fruit, peach, mild lemon zest. Super Brett overall.
T: Follows the nose but sweeter and fruitier. Brett still dominates earthy and musty, hints of straw. Fruit is sweet, peachy and apricoty. Lemon juice comes through in the finish with a mild tartness. Brett kicks up some mild funk in the aftertaste. Slight chalk and citrus pith in the aftertaste alongside juicy fruit nectar.
M: Full body, thick and fluffy mouthfeel, with soft carbonation, mild dryness, faint acidity, solid sweetness, and creamy carbonation.
O: Drinks very well, great Brett forward flavor, sweet fruit, herbal hop, spice and earthy must. Can definitely tell this was made at Anchorage. Very very good.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From 04/26/14 notes. Big thanks to jslot38 for sharing this one, always interested in a new beer from Grassroots or HF.

a - Pours a deep amber-orange color with one finger of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smell is of brett bomb. Tons of brett, oranges, citrus hops, tropical fruits, juicy pine, oak, toasted malts, and bready malts. Awesome; loving the brett.

t - Tastes of juicy tropical fruits, mangos, pineapples, brett, oranges, citrus hops, fruity malts, oak, earthy notes, floral hops, and bready malts. More tropical fruits than the nose and les sbrett, though there is still a good amount here.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Easy to drink beer.

o - Overall a fantastic beer with brett; I loved it. Tons of brett and tropical fruits, well worth seeking out. Would love to have it again.

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from Belmont Station.

In my Duvel tulip, the first pour is a clear golden orange with a large, dense, white head that falls off leaving stiff, choppy peaks. Lacing is decent too. The nose is excellent. The classic saison base is clear - straw, rustic bread, a touch of rye-like sharpness, a deep yeast complexity, but then you add in the rather delicate touches from the oak and the Brett and you have yourself a winner. A raw but delicate woody note, a wisp of vanilla and a blend of earth and mushroom from the Brett make this truly exceptional. Floral notes are present as well.

The palate opens with a pleasing acidity, a blend of lemon and lactic acids, and a quenching, refreshing saison base - grain, husk, some fruit (apricot, a little peach). The mid-palate has a moderate floral character (rose hips, a little bit of jasmine). The earth/mushroom flavors from the Brett are, at this point, light, complementary and delicious. Drying on the finish with a mild oak tannin bite that works really well with the saison base, there are also flavors of lemon, a carbonic acid touch, and floral flavors. Light in body with moderate carbonation, this beer is mostly great, but does feel a touch watery at times. Still, this is an exceedingly enjoyable beer. Refined stuff.

4.26/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle pour at the Ithaca Luminous release bottle share.

Pours a light golden yellow, with a big, 2 inch head, and a small amount of lacing.

Smells rustic and funky- not unexpected. Some sour lemon, hay, Brett barnyard funk, pineapple.

The taste is pretty similar. Lots of tart lemon, some wet woody flavors, leather, barnyard, hay, citrus fruits. Fairly sour, but not crazy. Some lingering hop bitterness near the end.

Light bodied, spritzy crisp mouthfeel, lingering sour/bitter flavor near the end. Low carbonation.

I'm basically forcing myself to start liking sours, this was one really nice, and I'm really getting into them.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The tag-team of Anchorage and Grassroots play into a crescendo of funky freshness in this Arctic Saison!

Pouring a lemon-yellow color and chocked full of powdery haze, the ale simply looks citrusy and zesty. It builds a creamy off-white head with proven retention and concentric lace. The ale simply exudes the look of Belgian farmhouse ale.

Both rustic and racy, its aromas contain the earthy wet hay, supple whole wheat, vinous tartness scent with a light waft of sea air and weathered wood. Lightly leathery and attic-like, the roots of Saison are firm. But then the fresh scent of tangerine, pineapple, grapefruit, and herbal botanicals offer up a new-wave and highly complex set of aromatics.

The vibrant sweetness of ripe citrus pulp and tropical fruits are propped up with light malty wheat support. The complementing taste of orchard, citrus and tropical fruits weave into the malts with playful acidity and impeccable balance. Its finish is earthy with brine, french oak, wine rot and hay. Sharp hop bitterness offers up one last citrusy impression before the ale fades into an aftertaste of sawdust and a return to lemons.

Medium-light in body, the sparkling carbonation dissolves into the malt for a creamy upstart. But as the acidity comes to life, the ale takes a lighter tone while alcohol, hops, and peppercorn spice dries the beer in finish. In closure, the ale has a somewhat "feathery" texture with a sense of arid dryness and slight warmth.

The new way that folks like Anchorage, Prairie, Hill Farmstead and Grassroots have reinvented the "American-ized" Saison style is truly inventive as they retain what's classic about traditional farmhouse taste but injecting them with the lively character of citrusy hops. They simply flirt with perfection.

Grassroots Arctic Saison from Grassroots Brewing