Craftsman Triple White Sage - Craftsman Brewing Co.

Craftsman Triple White Sage
No picture.

Craftsman Brewing Co. visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: jcalabre on 08-24-2003

2.78/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Lucky Baldwin's Craftsman Fest, poured a semi-cloudy gold with a white head, left good lacing. I picked up a bit of hops in the smell, along with quite a big belgian type aroma. The taste also started out a bit on the belgian yeast side but then progressed methodically to a Sage plant taste. The taste turned from plant-ey to more of a dull dry bitterness (expected from the Sage). I didn't enjoy this taste much, just a personal preference and it wasn't for me. The beer was fairly well balanced and they did not go overboard on the Sage. I expect those who find the taste of Sage pleasant would enjoy its balance. (626 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%

On tap at Beachwood BBQ.

One truly amazing beer. This one really impressed me. First off, this was an extremely delicate and perfectly balanced beer. Initial tastes were of a tripel crossed with a saison - it had both the complexity and flavor of a tripel, but with the lightness of a saison. Sage was apparent, and added a great layer of complexity to the spice profile. A touch of wheaty earthiness, with some tropical fruits (just a touch).

Alcohol was not apparent at all. 9%?? Where? Mouthfeel leaned toward the creamy. Drinkability was insanely high.

Highly recommended. This is a standout beer. (612 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +7.7%

I had this at Stone's 7th Anniversary party.
Appearance: This beer is a cloudy brown color.
Aroma; The nose is savory. The flavors are those you'd find that would go well with roasted poultry (hint sage)
this is a very unique, tasty brew. I thoroughly enjoyed it. (266 characters)

My favorite from Craftsman. I found this place in about 2005 in Pasadena only a short drive for me with outstanding beers. I tend to spend more time at the Stone brewery on Raymond now. (188 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a golden yellow with burnished orange touches at the tips, and a creamy white head. The head soon fades down, but it is easily revived by a little swishing of the glass.

Smell is rediculous. Golden sweet pale malt, a touch of alcohol, and savory, rich, herbal sage. Just beautiful. Makes me yearn for a roasted chicken. Could sniff this one all night.

Taste is muted candi sugar, the yeast minimized, and appearing as a slightly musty underlying sensation on the sides of my tongue. The herbal nature of the sage keeps the usual tripel alcoholic sweetness at bay, and creates a drying, balanced beverage. Delicious.

Mouthfeel is pillow soft and foamy, keeping things bright and interesting. Very appropriate.

Drinkability could actually get a higher number, but the 9% ABV (well hidden, by the way), makes having only one glass a prudent decision. Then again, I had this several times during the week when I saw it on tap, and I've kept having an unusual craving for more of it. Oddly alluring.

All in all, a great take on what is too often a misunderstood style. Time and time again, I've had US interpretations of tripels that end up all too simple, all too one-dimensional, and all too boozy. This gives me faith that there are better domestic examples out there...and it's made me start drawing up recipes of my own so that I can brew with sage as soon as possible. (1,390 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer on tap at Father`s Office ,the beer is attractive creamy white head that lasts. The nose of this beer is intereting sweet and spicy. The taste mimics the nose in that it is sweet followed by a nutmeg, cinnamon, and honey. The mouthfeel is pleasant, not overly carbonated and slightly slippery. i would definately drink more than one in a sitting. (360 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Sampled on tap at Father's Office in Santa Monica. Bright pale yellowish-white with a substantial white bubbly head. Enticing aroma of fresh herbs, lemongrass, and minty clove. Crisp & bubbly in the mouth with strong but fresh sage taking a front seat. Additional complexity comes through in the form of pale wheat, lemon peel citrus, & mild peppery hops. Medium bodied and amazingly fresh, crisp, & clean throughout. One-of-a-kind creation & one I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to taste. (501 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I was first poured this when I asked the bartender at Father's Office in Santa Monica for something lighter in color, with a lot of flavor, and somewhat higher in alcohol. I had no idea what he poured me and was almost turned off at first. He encouraged me to taste it anyway. It's now one of my favorite beers, partially because it is not ALWAYS around.

A - Pours a cloudy, yellow-brown. Big, thick white head on the top.

S - Incredibly, overwhelmingly has the aroma of an herb garden. It's almost off-putting at first in that the aroma is so intense, you almost cannot get past it. This was quite distracting originally, but now that I know this beer, I love this aroma incredibly. I long for it on some ocassions.

T - Extremely crisp and refreshing, with a definite "organic" and earthy flavor. The overwhelming aroma gives way to a less intense taste of herbs.

M - Crisp, with even notes of maltiness and bitterness. Almost has the feel of a soda, which helps cover the 9% ABV. Extremely even and comfortable throughout.

D - Low drinkability score due to its uniqueness and high alcohol. This is defninitely NOT a session beer, and for how wonderful it is to drink, it's hard to drink much of. That aroma just kicks back after awhile, especially as the alcohol kicks in.

Overall, this is still a favorite of mine, and something I always drink when it is available. (1,375 characters)

On tap at LA Beer Week Festival at Union Station from Craftsman booth.

Not sure if i had a special version of this triple white sage, but from reading other reviews i may have. The 3x White Sage I tried was a sour or wild ale and completely floored me. The sage popped through in the nose, dominating anything else, but when tasted it was very complex, with a fruity tartness giving way to the sage at the back of the palette. Very sour at first which made me pucker up, and think twice about finishing it. But after getting through my first 4oz pour i had to go back for another. Not sure i have had a wild ale as good as this since. Wish it was easier to get a hold of. (672 characters)

Craftsman Triple White Sage from Craftsman Brewing Co.