Craftsman 1903 - Craftsman Brewing Co.

Craftsman 1903
No picture uploaded.

Craftsman Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Lager |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-28-2004

I have tasting notes but I don't feel like using them. People don't know how to drink and enjoy lagers, I swear! This is the standard by which I evaluate every other lager. One of the best beers to be made in Southern California. It's incredibly underrated and really doesn't have room for improvement. Looks beautiful, smells perfect and the taste is devine. It has wonderful depth for not having layers of flavor. Having this beer first thing when I come back to Los Angeles.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

I have to say, the craftsman 1903 (pasadena) is one of my favorite beers. I didn't like it much when I first tried it, due to the fact it had a bit of a bitter after taste but definitely did grow on me. If it is served cold, on tap, cold glass. It is Awesome!

4.47/5  rDev +17%

16 oz (?) pint at Father's Office in Santa Monica on a lazy Saturday afternoon. I've had this one before, and it is just a great easy drinking enjoyable beer. But now that I sit down to review it, it really rises to the top of the heap for the style.

A pretty sunset golden hue with a fluffy snow-white head atop the liquid. Aromas of breakfast cereals. In fact, so much so, that it reminds me of the aromas of touring the Kellogg's plant in Battle Creek, Michigan as a kid (before they stopped the tours). Cooking Corn Flakes, and I mean that only in the best way.

Flavor follows through, but more malty (using the analogy, maybe Malt-O-Meal?). Hops are there, sure, but as a regulator only to keep things from going out of control. Edit: Now that I've read other reviews, someone mentioned nutty, and I think that's right on.

Creamy mouthfeel that makes me want to drink this beer all day long. This is the best of the style that I can recall.

Highly recommended, if you can find it in its very limited distribution.

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

The greatest mouthful of lager ever. Rich with all the malty and hoppy flavors but just 5.3%. Amber gold color in the halt-litre nonic. Really fragrant with a flowery hoppiness. The hops are aromatic with none of the pine overdose and ever-popular dank bitterness.

Mellow and bright flavors with just enough bitterness to keep you looking for that next gulp. The right hint of malty sweetness to remind you why beer tastes good. Not overly strong. A brew with a bold flavor that is distinctive yet subtle. Stone, Ballast Point, and Green Flash-- drink this and weep for your lost years!

Altogether a fine brew that reminds me why lagers should be one of our favorite styles. On tap at Tiger! Tiger! in San Diego.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

served draught style in a pint glass.

A: pale copper color with a thin head.

S: a bit of a sense of apple.

T: really light, a bit of fruit flavor with a hoppy finish.

M: smooth and easy to drink.

D: really light and easy to drink. I really enjoyed this one and will keep going back to it when something light is desired.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

I wish I could get this in bottle form to convert some friends from their BMC standards. This is usually on draught at the Library Bar in downtown LA, where I used to work. So I've had this a bunch of times.

The first thing you notice is the glorious malt profile in the nose. Touches of corn also come through. It's a full flavored lager - slight peaks of hops show through, but this is malty beverage. Refreshing in the summer, with high drinkability.

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

On-tap at the Beachwood BBQ, in Seal Beach, CA,

A: Pours a light amber colour, slightly darker than your average pils, with a firm white head with good retention.

S: Full of bread malt, some sourdough, wheat husks, very grainy overall smell.

T: Tastes a lot like a fresher version of Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold which I just had last night for the second time. Delicious bready malt, biscuits, crisp hops make for a delightful tasting lager beer.

M: Smooth, crisp, refreshing, everything a Pre-Prohibition Lager Beer should be.

D: This is a really nice lager from Craftsman. Why can't the bigger boys on the block make something of this caliber? A true treat for the lager fan.

One of the draft taps I had not tried before, recommended by our waiter at "The Saloon", in while in CA.
Pours a deep golden color, slightly darker than your average lager, with a short but solid white head with good retention.
Smell of bready/biscuity malt, grainy overall smell, not much hop smell. Taste was a nice suprise, bready malt, and some balancing hops made for an enjoyable pint. Smooth and crisp mouthfeel, refreshing and clean. This was a really good lager from Craftsman, will have to keep my eyes open for more from this brewer.

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, on to the beer:

Impressive golden color in appearance, my draft was served with little head on top. This all-malt lager bursts into toasted flavors on the palate, with a mild hop finish in the back and a drying finish. Not much sweetness at all, which is what I was expecting. Quite meaty in flavor, yet mellow enough to be quaffable.

Craftsman 1903 from Craftsman Brewing Co.