Point Five - Craftsman Brewing Co.

Point Five
No picture uploaded.

pDev: n/a
Craftsman Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: MiScusi on 06-10-2007)
2.93/5  rDev n/a

On tap at The Surly Goat in West Hollywood, CA.

Pours a clear honey orange with a foamy bone colored head that settles to a thin cap on top of the beer. Foamy patches of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt and some slight hop aromas. Taste is of malt, corn, and some slight herbal hop flavors. There is a mild bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp but pretty thin mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer and not something I would recommend trying.

3.58/5  rDev n/a

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a golden orange with a firm white head, good head retention, very good lace.

S: Light hops, orange, some tropicality.

T: Cracked bulghur & grain, very husky, some carbonic acid and light hops. The balanced overall flavour comes through in the end.

M: Soapy and frothy, light-bodied.

D: A light IPA, I like this idea, it's good that Craftsman is so experimental, it makes every beer they put out an adventure, they make some amazing stuff, not with .5, but I'm always excited to try something new from them. For a small beer IPA, I'm happy.

3.65/5  rDev n/a

How rare is this stateside; a true session IPA. On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, on to the beer:

A little hazy in the body of this orange-brown colored beer. The head on top is fine. Its aroma is like a toned down IPA: a little pinch of fruity hops, and a little crackery malt. It's crackery malt first for the taste, but there is some hoppiness to remind you its a session IPA. Light in the budy, never too light or watery, and an easy drinker.

Only 3.7% ABV, yet a little flavorful? I'll take it.

3.65/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. On-tap @ Library Alehouse.

A: Pours a hazy, dark yellow/light orange with a 1/2" thick white head which fades to the rim and cap leaving splotchy lace.

N: Mostly orange citrus with some light floral notes.

T: Initial bitterness, earthy and grainy malts, straw/hay-like yeast.

M: Semi-moderate body and carbonation. Dry and bitter finish. Saison-like farmhouse yeast but with a hoppy citrus side.

O: Easy drinking and refreshing session ale.

3.43/5  rDev n/a

Pint at Obrien's Pub in San Diego

Poured a very light color and had a small head, but it stuck around for a long time

I did not understand the whole half IPA concept, it basically tasted like a watered down IPA to me

Nothing special, taste did not last long at all, but was pretty good while it did

Smell was pretty weak and a little hoppy

Could drink a lot of these because they are super light for an IPA and only about four percent alcohol

4.25/5  rDev n/a

2.95/5  rDev n/a

On cask at Lucky Baldwin's Craftsman Fest, defined by Craftsman as a "Half-IPA" it poured a very cloudy straw gold color with a head consistent of beaten egg whites. The head was light, fluffy, and stayed for over 30 minutes without dwindling one centimeter. Not much action in the nose, I couldn't detect much of anything. The taste was a bit tart at first, maybe mineral water-ish, with very sharp hops coming in quickly and leaving a pretty abrasive bitterness. Definitely balanced way towards the hops, and I can't say I really liked the flavor that was given off that much. It was really one sided toward hop bitterness with a very thin body.

Interesting idea by Craftsman, essentially a light IPA, but I thought it was a little unbalanced and not really complex at all, almost dull and although I love hops, didn't like what I got from this one.

3.05/5  rDev n/a

It took until the server came with my drink that Point 5 IPA meant “half IPA”. I don’t know about you but I like my IPA’s more than 50%.

Oh well, I’ve never had a bad beer from Craftsman, so I wasn’t going to let that deter me. I guess this tastes exactly like the name, it was basically a light IPA. The hop presence was subdued and it was pretty clear the ABV was quite low. It wasn’t bad, just not what I really wanted.

Though this will likely never get there, this would be a good option if you’re in Utah.

Point Five from Craftsman Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.