Join our email list →

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.00% ABV

Beer added by: TGanyone on 02-22-2014

Long live the King. King Sue that is. Her ferocious bite will make sure all newcomers learn to toe the line. And what better way to exude her influence than with this Citra Hopped Double IPA. Followers will cheer. Enemies will crumble. But don’t take her lightly, because when this double IPA is on a rampage, nothing will stand in her way…

100+ IBU
Reviews: 122 | Hads: 1,233
4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a cloudy orange-amber color with a solid, one finger broad head, which turns out to be utmost stable while revealing big, spongy bubbles.

Crisp citrus peel settles among flowery apple juice, together with white bread malts and a note of fresh cut grass. Has a mango ripeness to it, adding directly to the complexity of the citrus, while including soothing, flowery qualities among zingy kiwi. A resinous sweetness melts into the malts, creating a truly harmonious, yet aromaful nose.

Has a soft carbonation, present enough to provide a spritzy impact during the finish, which, apart from that, is completely soft on the tongue, producing a mellowing creaminess and an overall great mouthfeel.

Tastes of a bowl of water, featuring fresh cut grass and a whole lot of juicy citrus and orange chunks. Due to the aqueous quality, fruits have a pleasant mildness to them, which vanishes, as the hops turn more powerful. Fruits turn crispier and a tad dryer then, while respecting the beers world class smoothness throughout, settling atop the rich creaminess. Reveals a fruit entangled malt sweetness after the swallow, slowly but steady transforming into a long lasting, citrus defined dryness. Even the bitter finish gets awesomely soothed by the outstanding mouthfeel, leaving the flavor focus on the fruits, while allowing subtle flavors to cut through during the late flavour transformation from malty to hoppy.

Flavourful and thrilling on the tongue, this one leaves me startled. It drinks like a dipa at the same time as it does not. First of all, the balance and mouthfeel in this are amazing, everything falls into place, citrus rages itself out on the palate leashed by smooth yeast, while no hint of alcohol becomes evident at all. Basically this drinks outstandingly easy. At the same time though, you can tell the intensity of flavors indicates a higher gravity, leading to a palate challenging complexity. Thats about it however, apart from that citrus unfolds playfully and most complex, remaining on the palate till the very end, providing even a certain freshness which lets you keep on drinking. Beautiful.

4.1/5  rDev -11.4%

As with all the IPA's I've had from Toppling Goliath, I found this one to be a little over-hyped. Overall, I do agree that it's a great example of a DIPA, but I would not seek it out again, especially with the fairly hard process it was to procure it in the first place. I'm glad I've tried it, but now I'm moving on!

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried this past week at Erics bourbon tasting (thanks greatly to Scott for brining this) Nice pale orange pour with a small foamy head. Loads of orange and grapefruit and mango. Balanced despite all the IBU's. Pretty big and tasty. Delish. :) I can see what the hype is about

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into snifter.

A= Orange hue, hazy, looks like sunshine through the morning fog. Nice thick white head, small bubbled foam, settles to thin cap, lots of sticky lacing.

S= Instantly noticeable tropical hops with a bit of dank resin. Big whiff gives you a slight hint of toasty malt backbone

T= Tropical and dank, pineapple/mango/papaya. Only citrus I notice is straight orange juice. Bit of bitterness. Smooth and tasty.

M= Light side of moderate carbonation, medium body.

O= Big and bold tropical hop flavors, worth the effort to get, does not fall short of its world class rating. Very easy to drink with a manageable ABV.

4.57/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful look, smell, and feel. My only real issue is that I had this after Xhops Gold and it just doesn't have the depth of hop characteristics (by virtue of being single hop). It is still undoubtedly world class.

Long live the king. Easily the best iipa I've ever had. Just a pineapple, peach, mango, melon bomb. Nice juicy fruit malt build that reminds me of treehouse. This is absolutely outrageous. Creamy mouthfeel.

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured my tulip glass half way. A lovely orange / arpicot color with a touch of a white head that quickly faded. However there is a nice lacing left behind. Also on the cloudy side just how I like it.
Did not have to take a big whiff as this beer has an incredibly intense tropical smell. Got to say that after taking a smell my stomach starting to growl like the T-Rex on the bottle.
Finally time to hit the taste buds! This is not beer this heaven. I have had beer and many of the great ones but this is like nothing I have ever had. So tasty that I wanted to gulp it as though I had not drank it days. But I came to my senses and decided to savor it and make it last as this may be the last beer I ever drink because how can any beer be better.

4.82/5  rDev +4.1%

My second try with the King. Poured into a TGB snifter. Hazy golden color. Great Citra nose. Very smooth and balanced, especially as it warms. It's a shame this is not more widely available. Other East Coast IPAs are coming on strong but Sue is still the King!!!

This beer is flawless. Hard to top a fresh King Sue. For anyone who enjoys a DIPA I could not make a better recommendation. So glad I've had the opportunity to try this!

4.91/5  rDev +6%

12/22/2015 bottle date had on 01/01/16.

Slight hazy orange appearance. Citra hops and citrus smell is abundant. Very juicy tasting. Tropical and deliscious. Smooth light malty end with low bitterness. This is dangerously easy to drink for 8%abv. Similarities are there with PsuedoSue, but more full bodied. Overall an excellent DIPA not to be passed up....ever.

4.17/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured into a pint glass-
A - cloudy orange w nice head; no carbonation
S - citrus (Orange/pineapple) and hops
T - smooth tartness; hint of Pepper?
F - medium with moderate carbonation

Overall a descent DIPA but I honestly thought the PsuedoSue was better.

4.89/5  rDev +5.6%

Disclaimer: A) This is one of my all time wants, but B) I have been pretty discouraged with this brewery for dropping out of the EBF twice in a row, so there is no love lost for TG but quality is quality damnit! And I needed to try a TG hop whale

A-light orange, off white foam head- looks like a big IPA
S- total orange and pineapple bomb
T- more of the same, I also get a peppery note and a nice underlying bready malt note to balance it just enough
M- spot.fucking.on.
O- the only thing stopping me from giving the full 5 was the fact that I've had IPAs have smells that jump out of the glass just a tad bit better, but this is total nitpicking...absolutely world class double IPA that drinks like a pale ale, astonishing when coupled with the fact that this beer has 100+ IBU...well done, assholes... Now come to the EBF

4.64/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle received as an extra. Seriously. I was geeking out. Drank on Christmas Eve, just 3 days after bottling.

Pours a hazy glowing orange with a big, beautiful off-white head. The aroma absolutely pops out of the bottle with big tropical fruits - mango, pineapple, papaya, orange. The taste follows that smell. Pretty thick mouthfeel.
Surly's Todd the Axeman is my favorite beer, and I feel like this is a slightly more imperial version of that. Really beautiful beer.

This is by far one of my favorite IPA's. I could not respect TG any more for coming out with a beer like this. If you are an IPA fan than this is a must have.

4.82/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Pour - murky, burnt orange
Smell - pimeapple, slight hop
Taste - very smooth. Tropical fruits
Overall - amazing beer, very hard to find. Nice mouthfeel, not super heavy

4.66/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L- medium straw color and nice white lacing
S- very nice tropical and citrus aromas
T- taste follows the scent, with light pine aftertaste
F- pretty silky, medium carbonation
O- great beer

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Cheers to CJ for hooking me up with this one. Super fresh bomber from the original brewer, none of that half-breed stuff from a few months ago. Poured into a snifter.

A - Nice looking beer. Pours a surprisingly clean, but fairly hazy orange with decent carbonation. No crazy pulpiness a la Julius going on here. Fluffy white head that laces well as the beer goes down.

S - Huge aroma. Big time tropical and citrus notes. Pretty much the ideal nose for the recent tropical IPA craze. Surprisingly at this gravity and IBU, there's nothing unpleasant or astringent about the nose in even the slightest way. Impressive.

T - Oh my damn. This one is up there with the best DIPAs I've ever had. Mango, pineapple, passionfruit, orange, and a whole host of other tropical fruits stomp all over your tongue. Pleasantly bitter, but not as much as you might expect for 100+ IBUs. World class through and through.

M - Medium bodied and crisp. Incredibly drinkable for this gravity. Nothing cloying or astringent about the feel here, which is impressive.

O - This may be the best DIPA I've ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First Toppling Goliath brew ever tasted, and I was impressed. Wicked aromatic hints of tropical fruits. Tastes of citrus fruits, and for a DIPA, the harshness one would expect is simply not there. Great brew all around.

4.35/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours cloudy orange with a one finger head. Smells strong of citrus and tropical fruits. Taste is sweet orange and mango. Not overly bitter despite all the IBU's. Creamy mango. Really a lot of citrus and calmness for a double IPA. Overall, pretty delicious. Maybe doesn't live quite up to all the MASSIVE hype, but very good just the same.

4.76/5  rDev +2.8%

Visited the brewery last week and as soon as she poured in I knew it was special. It was the most delicious double IPA I've ever tasted. Great feel and incredibly balanced almost such a creamy taste to it. Highly recommend trying..

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - Hazy Orange, finger of foam, looks great

S - Smell citrus, tropical fruit

T - Tastes like it smells, fruity, citrus, so smooth and delicious

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation.

O - I loved this beer. I had it at the 2015 Morning Delight release, and as much as I loved MD, I couldn't stop thinking about King Sue. One of the best DIPA's I've ever had. I need to get some of these bombers. Was bummed they didn't have any for sale.

4.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Wow! I had this at the Toppling Goliath Mornin' Delight release. This has to be one of my favorite beers I have ever had.

Poured a hazy orange and the smell was amazing. Smells like fresh orange juice with mango and tropical fruits. It left a decent retaining head. Nice lacing.

Unbelievably smooth, refreshingly light and little to no bitterness with the best aftertaste.

If you get the chance to try this, do not pass. Simply amazing!

4.38/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had yesterday (8/25/15) on-tap at Three Cellars, Franklin, WI - reviewed from notes:

Pours hazed golden orange with a wisp of a head that leaves some lacing.

The smell is very fruity - tropical/citric - mango, pineapple, orange, grapefruit.

The taste of citrus/tropical fruit with backed by sweet bread. Enough malt to give balance to the bitterness while allowing the hop flavor to shine through. Alcohol shows, but not raw. A restrained fruity bitterness lingers.

It just about hits full-bodied. No residual sugars remain on the palate. More crisp than chewy. Smooth despite alcohol bite.

A fruity, hop-forward IPA. Wonderful stuff. I liked it enough to pay another eight bucks for a second ten-ounce pour!

4.46/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this on tap at Three Cellars in Franklin, WI. A nice 10 ounce pour into a snifter. The beer is a hazy amber. It has a finger of foam. Good retention and lacing. The aroma is fantastic. Wonderful tropical fruits. A bit of citrus. I have to say I love citra hops. The flavor is great too, but truth be told, for only 8% ABV, I'm of the opinion the alcohol should be better hidden. Minor complaint... Great feel... Smooth and full bodied. Overall, I'm glad I finally got to try this one. I'd gladly drink it on a regular basis. Still think I prefer the regular Sue though. Cheers!

4.48/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Nova into a snifter
A: crown of white head on top of a hazy orange
S: mercy. Ridiculously juicy, big almost overripe mango, papaya, and big bready caramel malt too, and an edge of grapefruit peel/pith. If it was a little more dank, it would be perfect...but as is, it is great.
T & M: big & heavy & a little boozy. Nice and sharp bite with the tropical flavored. Warming. Just a tad undercarbonated and almost syrupy, but again, I'm nitpicking.

Wish it never stopped...awesome. Packs a wallop.

King Sue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company