Follow our progress ...

King SueKing Sue

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Long live the King. King Sue that is. Her ferocious bite will make sure all newcomers learn to toe the line. And what better way to exude her influence than with this Citra Hopped Double IPA. Followers will cheer. Enemies will crumble. But don’t take her lightly, because when this double IPA is on a rampage, nothing will stand in her way…

100+ IBU

Added by TGanyone on 02-22-2014

Reviews: 154 | Ratings: 1,402
Reviews by millertime416:

First bottled batch, bottled 1 day prior to review. (Note: I had this on tap twice previously and thought it was far better so perhaps the first bottled batch was a bit off…still great though)

Appearance: Very hazy/murky orange, yellow hue, absolutely the murkiest DIPA I’ve drank (almost makes Heady Topper seem clear). Good head and lacing.

Aroma: Great mango, tropical fruits and citrus layered over some slight oniony & vegetal aroma. Very similar to Pseudo Sue but a bit less fruit forward…a little more dank and slightly vegetal.

Taste: Very dry and bitter, possibly a little too dry and bitter. Fruity & citrusy but I get much less in the flavor than in the aroma. Flavor is good, but not near as impressive as the aroma

Mouthfeel: Pretty Good, sort of velvety/creamy….and nicely resinous…maybe a little over-carbonated.

Don’t get me wrong this is an excellent DIPA to be sure, but it’s not a world class beer like Pseudo Sue is. It’s also not quite on par with Heady or Pliney, but it’s definitely a top 20 DIPA. However, I definitely prefer the baby brother (Pseudo Sue) to this.

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look- The shiny glimmering light from the King's Crown.

Smell- The death of oranges, grapefruit and earthy hops from the King's slain enemies.

Taste- Sweet, Sweet victory and spoils!

Feel- Relaxing on the throne without a care in the world.

Overall- The battle was fierce but in the end the King always wins. If you mess with the King you shall be boiled and sit to rot 2-3 weeks.

4.56/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look-color is a slightly hazy gold, a gentle pour resulted in a finger of cream colored head that clings the glass nicely.
smell-Burst of citrus, with a nice malty backbone that doesn't overpower the gorgeous hops.
Taste-very citrusy, with a noticeable floral quality and honey like sweetness from the malt, almost reminded me of green tea with lemon and honey, but fruitier and frankly just more delicious.
Feel-Medium body, pleasantly bubbly on the tongue, slightly chewy right near the end but then it finishes on the slightly dry side, which contrasts wonderfully with the bright, fruity taste.
Overall-Amazing beer, my favorite Citra hopped beer so far.

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured my tulip glass half way. A lovely orange / arpicot color with a touch of a white head that quickly faded. However there is a nice lacing left behind. Also on the cloudy side just how I like it.
Did not have to take a big whiff as this beer has an incredibly intense tropical smell. Got to say that after taking a smell my stomach starting to growl like the T-Rex on the bottle.
Finally time to hit the taste buds! This is not beer this heaven. I have had beer and many of the great ones but this is like nothing I have ever had. So tasty that I wanted to gulp it as though I had not drank it days. But I came to my senses and decided to savor it and make it last as this may be the last beer I ever drink because how can any beer be better.

4.1/5  rDev -11.4%

As with all the IPA's I've had from Toppling Goliath, I found this one to be a little over-hyped. Overall, I do agree that it's a great example of a DIPA, but I would not seek it out again, especially with the fairly hard process it was to procure it in the first place. I'm glad I've tried it, but now I'm moving on!

2.16/5  rDev -53.3%

Murky and oddly oxidized, though I was told the bottle was fresh. No bottle date unfortunately.

4.82/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

The king, finally getting a chance, huge thanks to andrewpalmer for this bad boy. Poured into a sn perfect pint paired with the warriors playoffs.

Right away u can tell this is good. Appearance in the glass is one of the best I've seen!
Nose is an amped up sue, fantastic.
Taste follows the nose. Incredible brew, I dunno if 22 oz is enough.
Some people mentioned it being boozy, I don't get very much booze at all, I actually find this super refreshing.
Overall it lived up to my expectations. If it was easy to get I'd get it much more but pseudosue makes a fantastic substitute

Go warriors!

4.14/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great beer. That being said would have a TH Green over this any day of the week.

I wish I could have had this fresh instead of 3-4 weeks old to really see the difference.

IMO Overhyped.

Long live the king. Easily the best iipa I've ever had. Just a pineapple, peach, mango, melon bomb. Nice juicy fruit malt build that reminds me of treehouse. This is absolutely outrageous. Creamy mouthfeel.

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Cheers to CJ for hooking me up with this one. Super fresh bomber from the original brewer, none of that half-breed stuff from a few months ago. Poured into a snifter.

A - Nice looking beer. Pours a surprisingly clean, but fairly hazy orange with decent carbonation. No crazy pulpiness a la Julius going on here. Fluffy white head that laces well as the beer goes down.

S - Huge aroma. Big time tropical and citrus notes. Pretty much the ideal nose for the recent tropical IPA craze. Surprisingly at this gravity and IBU, there's nothing unpleasant or astringent about the nose in even the slightest way. Impressive.

T - Oh my damn. This one is up there with the best DIPAs I've ever had. Mango, pineapple, passionfruit, orange, and a whole host of other tropical fruits stomp all over your tongue. Pleasantly bitter, but not as much as you might expect for 100+ IBUs. World class through and through.

M - Medium bodied and crisp. Incredibly drinkable for this gravity. Nothing cloying or astringent about the feel here, which is impressive.

O - This may be the best DIPA I've ever had.

4.74/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Toppling Goliath's taproom. 12oz pour in an unlabeled chalice today, 3/8/2014.

App- Looks like a beer mimosa. Super hazy, unfiltered orange body, fairly minimal <1 finger white head that dissipates quickly. Some ring lacing the glass as the beer goes down. Honestly looks as close to orange juice with pulp as you can get.

Smell- So juicy. Lots of freshly squeezed orange, pineapple and passion fruit. This is citra at its best. Nicely balanced out by a bready malt backbone.

Flavour- Phenomenal. Juicier than regular sue for sure. So much citra going on. Orange, pineapple, tropical fruits balanced a bit (but way less balanced than regular sue! Which is saying something) by the sweet pale malts. Finish is a nice resinous grassy bitterness that isn't overwhelming. This is one of the best DIPAs to ever come out of the midwest, even if its not the most complex and interesting DIPA I've ever had- it's just so juicy and dank which makes it unique in its own right.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied, a bit thinner than it should be for a DIPA, but this is still just so juicy and creamy that I can overlook that aspect. Nice dry finish that is a bit bitter but certainly not overwhelmingly so. It is definitely a lot less bitter than other comparable double IPAs. Very easy to drink, dangerously enough.

Overall- This is Toppling Goliath's newest winner. It's like a single hop citra Heady Topper/Abrasive, and wipes the floor with these beers. Abner and Double Sunshine are both fantastic beers in their own right due to their relative complexity, but this is well up there with them. Try to get this if you can. Its a shame they weren't filling growlers of this stuff.

3.55/5  rDev -23.3%

Many thanks to kenzilka007 for bringing me some of this storied nectar from the vaults of Decorah. 22 oz. bomber split with my wife.

Pour is liquid orange milk with plenty of carbonation, less than unfiltered, this was probably reverse filtered to add sediment. Nose is plenty of tropical fruit, very sweet, plenty of citrus. Makes my mouth water, but just a little. Less than a gusher, more than regular moistness.

I expect King Sue to reach out and caress me intimately, and to my disappointment, there is neither hand nor fingers creping out of the glass. This could have been brewed in the Bahamas, as the fresh fruit parade continues off of the nose. Mango, pineapple, a strong note of papaya, others peek out of the froth. Tons of sweetness swallows the mid-palate, along with a kind, gentle handshake of bitterness. A touch astringent. Mouthfeel is the high point here, thick & luscious, perhaps unique amongst the current crop of IPAs. Half a bomber? That’ll do, Alfred. That’ll do.

A good beer, but I’m digging hard to try to figure out what the craze is about. Give me a pint of the magnificent regular Sue any day.

This one was billed as "the best DIPA ever" and "even better than Double Sunshine," so after nearly a year of searching, I was thrilled to be able to try it.

Overall, King Sue was a "pretty good" beer, though not quite a "great" one in my book. It reminded me a lot of the hype surrounding King Julius and the disappointment that ensued following that release and subsequent tasting.

What I am finding, though, is that my base standard for exceptional IPA's from Vermont has ruined my palate for beers that others consider fantastic and amazing.

I am, however, glad to have tried King Sue to satisfy my curiosity and to be able to display a bottle with a T-Rex on it as part of my collection.

3.98/5  rDev -14%

Spring 2015 batch (consumed 5/13/15, and then again on 5/15/15):

Appearance is terrific. Murky honey gold with a paper white that laces well from start to finish. No complaints here.

Nose seems to take a similar direction as past batches. A lot of citrus and juicy bits, but this one is counteracted by an abrasive bitterness and a hint of alcohol. It's obvious here that this is not the same beer that received such deserved acclaim in the past.

I won't deny that this is delicious. Very drinkable and fruit-forward. But it severely lacks the intense, juicy citrus qualities that made previous vintages so memorable. It's in that same wheelhouse, just not nearly as vibrant. There is also kind of an awkward finish... it cleans up too quick and the only thing left is hop abrasion.

4.48/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

4.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%

4.42/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%