PseudoSue - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-17-2011

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

Ratings: 2,679 | Reviews: 341

Stone fruit and ripe melon. Magnificent.

Amazing citra beer. WORLD CLASS

Great complex brew. One of my favorites. Smooth delivery. The hops and citrus are an excellent blend!

This is my go to APA! Great beer at a reasonable price...if you can find it :)

Possibly the best beer, I've had!

Poured from the bottle (no date) into a teku glass....

A - Dark orange color with a magnificent two finger head that holds real well. Nice sticky lace all over the glass

S - Citrus notes all over the place. An explosion as soon as I lifted the cap. A fruity implosion covered my kitchen, perfect

T - Wow, citra hops rule. Just like the label says, citrus and mango flavors are dominant. Orange, grapefruit, pez candy, lime juice. Amazing

M - Nice medium body with a great smooth feel off the palate. Low carbonation and just enough bite

O - This, to me, is the end all be all of the APA category. Just hits a 5 in every category. Absolutely awesome and so happy I had the chance to get a bottle. Do yourself a favor and seek this one out!

A - Hazy tangerine orange colour. Completely opaque. One finger of bright white head that receded to a thin layer.

S - A massive fresh ripe mango aroma. Pineapple, passion fruit, tangerine. Slight honey malt sweetness.

T - Fresh tropical fruit bouquet that almost tastes like natural flavours were added. A huge mango presence with lighter notes of passion fruit, grapefruit and tangerine. A slight honey sweetness provides the perfect amount of malt sweetness.

M - Medium body, slightly creamy. Sticky and oily. Light carbonation.

O - The perfect APA. Wonderful.

There is no question that this is not only my favorite beer of the year alongside many others, but this one has just been an incredible staple all year long. It has all of the beer components nailed. The citra hop really shines in this beer. The wonderful marriage of subtle sweetness, and a citrusy punch gives this beer great balance. Notes of citrus and cantaloupe just make this beer sing. This is World Class.

Nice, crisp ale with hints of fruit.

This is an amazing drinkable beer. Its has crisp carbonation, a Candied mango, grapefruit aroma and taste and can easily be consumed in large quantities at a rapid pace. I cant express enough in words the drink ability of this beer, its amazing. A top notch, stand tall, kick a$$ brew that literally TOPPLES the competition. Seek this out cause this beer is off the charts!

Bottom Line: Pure Awesome! this is the best APA I have ever had, it's that good.

A: beautiful orange/ amber appearance with a solid head that lasts for quite awhile before regressing to a fine lace.
S: amazing citrus notes of grapefruit and orange.
M: mild to medium body with a much more hoppy taste than an average pale ale.
T: significant citrus hops in the initial flavor profile and finishes very smooth.this is a very happy pale ale, but for hop fans is a must try.
O: this is easily my favorite go to beer. It's about $8 a 22oz and difficult to come by only with the brewery only 70 miles away. This is a far superior Sierra Nevada pale ale or a great "all day" citra from pipeworks. GREAT beer!

Just FYI... My first 5/5 beer

This is one of the best Citra beers around.

YES!!!! ZD still has the nose, but PseudoSue in every other catagory! What an amazing and unique APA!! Have had this brew twicw now. Once outside when it was 19 degrees on black friday-AMAZING! The other day at a bottle share with some whales-Still AMAZING!!!

poured orange with a two finger head, overall an incredible looking beer.

The smell was very juicy picked up a lot of peach more than anything, one of the best smelling beers out there.

The taste was very hop forward but still was had some sweetness. Finished very dry but left me wanting more it has a great balance of citrus malt and hop bitterness. would highly recommend to anyone.

The mouthfeel was light medium it is not so thin its watery and not so thick its sticky it was a perfect feel for the style.

overall one of my favorite beers and i would recommend anyone who can get this to try it.

Reviews are in and I officially love this stuff. Seriously fresh as can be. For once, it pays to live in iowa.

L-The look of this is a yellow-gold-slight orange hazy with a thick head that stays with the beers thru-out.

S-Mangos and Citra mixed with some other fruits are prevalent in the smell.

T-The taste is delicious, up front a bit hoppy/earthy and then comes the fruit. and it comes hard and good. My lord.

F-It feels like it tastes, like fruit pale ale, delicious.

O-I would love for this beer to be available to everyone all the time. but for now, ill take it any time i can get it.

Best beer I've had on tap..so danky and smooth.

It's hard for me to find any flaws in this beer, simply because I cannot. The appearance is hazy, bright, and has a good head to it with good lacing. The aroma is almost my favorite part, I smell, citrus fruits like pineapple, grapefruit as well as mango. The taste pretty much matches the aroma for me to a T. The mouth feel is perfect as well, not over or under carbonated at all. Great beer, and it's currently my favorite.

Serving type: On tap, fresh keg.

Growler from Casanova in Hudson WI

Appearance: Orange / Golden Color, a moderate amount of lacing, A good amount of carbonation from the growler with a moderate retention of head

Smell: Evergreen and citrus

Taste: Grapefruit, citrus, piny well balanced and lighter in body as Pale Ales should be

Mouthfeel: Smooth and bitter finish with a slight toffee note

Overall: a very nice american hopped up Pale Ale with the citrus hop

Poured a really nice looking hazy light orange, about a finger of head.

Smell is all sweet tropical and citrus fruit with light astringint notes

Taste is grapefruit, tropical fruit coming through, oranges, finished dry and slightly bitter

Mouthfeel is spot on for a APA.

A amazing APA, I prefer Golden Nugget and Millenium Falcon... But I believe I gave those 5s thought so that is no complaint.

Edit... The more I drink this one, the more I realize Its earns the 5, while the appearance may not be a 5.... every other category is. And who cares about the appearance of a beer, if that is the one and only flaw!?!?

Previously had it at a 4.8 It is now a 5!

Hoppy mango bomb. Delicious stuff!

Bomber from trade. Huge thanks! Pours clear golden with a hint of orange and a beautiful creamy fluffy white head. Aroma of big Citra hops, pineapple mango grapefruit, grass and piney notes, sweet honey. Oh yes. The flavor. Oh my god. Lightly sweet maltiness with massive pineapple mango hop presence, very light bitter. Some super raw hop vegetal notes. Juicy and resinous, easy going, medium plus carbonation , lightly dry finish. Oh my lord. I got goosebumps when this first hit my lips. Expected this to be very good but maybe not quite live up to the hype. I was wrong--this is essentially perfect. I don't know where to knock any points off at all.

Simply one of the best beers out there.

Fantastic

My holy grail of beers. Tried some of this back in April when I was able to snag a few in Iowa. The incredible aroma of this beer is only outdone by its wonderful taste. This is my favorite beer. I would love to get some more of it. I'm very sad that my two bombers are long gone. TG needs to distribute in MI.

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle on June 10th, 2014. Not sure on the exact bottling date, but I know it was at the end of May. Shout out to @jruno for hooking me up.

Appearance: Just absolutely stunning. It has that orange amber hue that I love so much, ala Enjoy By, Heady, etc. Poured a nice eggshell white, one finger head. Head retention is great, lacing is nice and sticky.

Smell: Just wow. Lovely ripe, tropical fruits. Mango and pineapple are predominant. A bit of orange citrus, and some light dankness from the citra. The smell is right up there with Heady.

Taste: Unlike anything I've had before. The tropical fruits that I mentioned before just come out in full force. Mango, pineapple, maybe papaya too? I've gotten tropical fruit notes out of some things before, but not like this. A bit of that dankness is there, but not as strong as something like Enjoy By. Very low bitterness, it doesn't linger at all. It's so juicy, and actually seems sweet from the tropical fruit notes, but it really isn't. There is a light, crackery malt underneath to balance it out.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium mouthfeel, a bit sticky with the perfect low to mid level carbonation that I love to see in this style. Just perfect.

Overall: Yeah, this guy is the real deal. I didn't think I'd enjoy anything in this style more than Heady, but this is it. Just absolutely incredible. I tend to rate my beers a little higher, but a perfect score in all sections still isn't something I would normally give out. The hype is real.

PseudoSue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company