Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

PseudoSue - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

PseudoSuePseudoSue

Wants: 1,189
Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-17-2011

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

Reviews: 331 | Hads: 2,925

Poured from the bottle (no date) into a teku glass....

A - Dark orange color with a magnificent two finger head that holds real well. Nice sticky lace all over the glass

S - Citrus notes all over the place. An explosion as soon as I lifted the cap. A fruity implosion covered my kitchen, perfect

T - Wow, citra hops rule. Just like the label says, citrus and mango flavors are dominant. Orange, grapefruit, pez candy, lime juice. Amazing

M - Nice medium body with a great smooth feel off the palate. Low carbonation and just enough bite

O - This, to me, is the end all be all of the APA category. Just hits a 5 in every category. Absolutely awesome and so happy I had the chance to get a bottle. Do yourself a favor and seek this one out! (743 characters)

A - Hazy tangerine orange colour. Completely opaque. One finger of bright white head that receded to a thin layer.

S - A massive fresh ripe mango aroma. Pineapple, passion fruit, tangerine. Slight honey malt sweetness.

T - Fresh tropical fruit bouquet that almost tastes like natural flavours were added. A huge mango presence with lighter notes of passion fruit, grapefruit and tangerine. A slight honey sweetness provides the perfect amount of malt sweetness.

M - Medium body, slightly creamy. Sticky and oily. Light carbonation.

O - The perfect APA. Wonderful. (571 characters)

There is no question that this is not only my favorite beer of the year alongside many others, but this one has just been an incredible staple all year long. It has all of the beer components nailed. The citra hop really shines in this beer. The wonderful marriage of subtle sweetness, and a citrusy punch gives this beer great balance. Notes of citrus and cantaloupe just make this beer sing. This is World Class. (414 characters)

I have had in Bomber Bottle on Tap and in the new 12oz Bottle: The first batch of 12oz out of FL was off but the batches since have improved greatly. This is a perfect APA (171 characters)

Wow. That really is the word that came out of my mouth when drinking this amazing pale ale. Most people think it's and IPA and I can see why as it drinks close to that with all of the citrusy goodness up front. Finishes nice and light but damn it's tasty. So glad they have them in 4 packs now. (294 characters)

This is an amazing drinkable beer. Its has crisp carbonation, a Candied mango, grapefruit aroma and taste and can easily be consumed in large quantities at a rapid pace. I cant express enough in words the drink ability of this beer, its amazing. A top notch, stand tall, kick a$$ brew that literally TOPPLES the competition. Seek this out cause this beer is off the charts!

Bottom Line: Pure Awesome! this is the best APA I have ever had, it's that good. (455 characters)

A: beautiful orange/ amber appearance with a solid head that lasts for quite awhile before regressing to a fine lace.
S: amazing citrus notes of grapefruit and orange.
M: mild to medium body with a much more hoppy taste than an average pale ale.
T: significant citrus hops in the initial flavor profile and finishes very smooth.this is a very happy pale ale, but for hop fans is a must try.
O: this is easily my favorite go to beer. It's about $8 a 22oz and difficult to come by only with the brewery only 70 miles away. This is a far superior Sierra Nevada pale ale or a great "all day" citra from pipeworks. GREAT beer!

Just FYI... My first 5/5 beer (659 characters)

YES!!!! ZD still has the nose, but PseudoSue in every other catagory! What an amazing and unique APA!! Have had this brew twicw now. Once outside when it was 19 degrees on black friday-AMAZING! The other day at a bottle share with some whales-Still AMAZING!!! (259 characters)

poured orange with a two finger head, overall an incredible looking beer.

The smell was very juicy picked up a lot of peach more than anything, one of the best smelling beers out there.

The taste was very hop forward but still was had some sweetness. Finished very dry but left me wanting more it has a great balance of citrus malt and hop bitterness. would highly recommend to anyone.

The mouthfeel was light medium it is not so thin its watery and not so thick its sticky it was a perfect feel for the style.

overall one of my favorite beers and i would recommend anyone who can get this to try it. (604 characters)

Reviews are in and I officially love this stuff. Seriously fresh as can be. For once, it pays to live in iowa.

L-The look of this is a yellow-gold-slight orange hazy with a thick head that stays with the beers thru-out.

S-Mangos and Citra mixed with some other fruits are prevalent in the smell.

T-The taste is delicious, up front a bit hoppy/earthy and then comes the fruit. and it comes hard and good. My lord.

F-It feels like it tastes, like fruit pale ale, delicious.

O-I would love for this beer to be available to everyone all the time. but for now, ill take it any time i can get it. (597 characters)

It's hard for me to find any flaws in this beer, simply because I cannot. The appearance is hazy, bright, and has a good head to it with good lacing. The aroma is almost my favorite part, I smell, citrus fruits like pineapple, grapefruit as well as mango. The taste pretty much matches the aroma for me to a T. The mouth feel is perfect as well, not over or under carbonated at all. Great beer, and it's currently my favorite.

Serving type: On tap, fresh keg. (461 characters)

Growler from Casanova in Hudson WI

Appearance: Orange / Golden Color, a moderate amount of lacing, A good amount of carbonation from the growler with a moderate retention of head

Smell: Evergreen and citrus

Taste: Grapefruit, citrus, piny well balanced and lighter in body as Pale Ales should be

Mouthfeel: Smooth and bitter finish with a slight toffee note

Overall: a very nice american hopped up Pale Ale with the citrus hop

Serving type: bottle (454 characters)

Poured a really nice looking hazy light orange, about a finger of head.

Smell is all sweet tropical and citrus fruit with light astringint notes

Taste is grapefruit, tropical fruit coming through, oranges, finished dry and slightly bitter

Mouthfeel is spot on for a APA.

A amazing APA, I prefer Golden Nugget and Millenium Falcon... But I believe I gave those 5s thought so that is no complaint.

Edit... The more I drink this one, the more I realize Its earns the 5, while the appearance may not be a 5.... every other category is. And who cares about the appearance of a beer, if that is the one and only flaw!?!?

Previously had it at a 4.8 It is now a 5! (662 characters)

Bomber from trade. Huge thanks! Pours clear golden with a hint of orange and a beautiful creamy fluffy white head. Aroma of big Citra hops, pineapple mango grapefruit, grass and piney notes, sweet honey. Oh yes. The flavor. Oh my god. Lightly sweet maltiness with massive pineapple mango hop presence, very light bitter. Some super raw hop vegetal notes. Juicy and resinous, easy going, medium plus carbonation , lightly dry finish. Oh my lord. I got goosebumps when this first hit my lips. Expected this to be very good but maybe not quite live up to the hype. I was wrong--this is essentially perfect. I don't know where to knock any points off at all. (654 characters)

This leads the way for APAs, IMHO. Lots of citrus with a nice balance of pine bitterness. Great mouthfeel. Light yet full. Perfect for a APA. Leaves a lot of flavor in the back of your mouth. Can't get enough (217 characters)

My holy grail of beers. Tried some of this back in April when I was able to snag a few in Iowa. The incredible aroma of this beer is only outdone by its wonderful taste. This is my favorite beer. I would love to get some more of it. I'm very sad that my two bombers are long gone. TG needs to distribute in MI. (316 characters)

Was sent a couple bottles from a very kind BA in Iowa. After reading about how the new Brew Hub brewed Sue has nothing on the old Iowa brewed ones I cant even imagine how good those had to have been. This is my favorite hoppy beer I have had even over Heady Topper. It looked hazy and bright orange, smelled awesome, and tasted extremely juicy and tropical. It was like alcoholic orange juice in the best way imaginable. This is a masterpiece to me, and I could drink them every day(so it's probably a good thing I dont have regular access to them lol). (558 characters)

What can I say, this is my favorite APA of all time. It is light and easy to drink, I would categorize it as a session beer. Hay colored with great head retention. Lots of tripical hop aroma. (191 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: Hazy orange, decent head.

Smell: Tropical fruits- mango, pineapple, citrus, peaches. Also, slight yeast/breadiness (standard TG yeasty smell, same that I smell/taste in Zeelander).

Taste: See above description of smell. Also, excellent balance overall for a pale ale.

Mouthfeel: Medium to Thick for an APA. Carbonation is well-tuned.

Overall: I possibly could be biased but this is better than ZD through and through. I've also had it on-tap many times and even more amazing in that fashion. Best. Pale. Ale. (524 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +10.2%

22oz bottle into SN imperial pint glass. Huge thank you to Pidzik12!

A: Pours a deep glowing light amber with golden highlights beneath a very dense and thick off-white head that faded into a soft fuzzy film. Thick sticky sheets of lace were left down the glass.
S: Huge tropical and citrus hop notes of mango, passion fruit, sugary pineapple, and tangerine nectar. I get a ton of peach as the beer warms. Probably one of the best hop profiles I’ve had the pleasure of smelling.
T: Juicy and sweet hop flavors that follow the nose. I get notes of peaches, tangerine, papaya, grapefruit, sweet dried mango, agave and a touch of evergreen bitterness. The finish is sweet and juicy and the aftertaste is lightly bitter but still very juicy and greasy with hop resin.
M: Greasy and slick mouthfeel with a smooth and oily dose of hop resin. Wet and splashy mouthfeel, smooth and easy to drink, with a medium-full body. Extremely quaffable.
O: The best thing since sliced bread. If toppling goliath considers this a pale ale then I don’t want to know what an ipa is. Some of the best use of citra in a beer I’ve had to date. This really blew me away. Thanks again Paul! (1,173 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +10.2%

The aroma on this beer is outstanding, and the first thing I noticed. Very strong and smells of tropical fruits and citrus. The taste follows the nose. I didn't pick up much bitterness if any at all. Very smooth and delicious my favorite pale ale I've every had. I could drink this all day every day. (300 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +9.5%

Update 4/3/15. Bottled on 3/30/15. Still a "5" Pale Ale. Wanted to update as this is the 1st batch of Sue produced after Mike left.

Look - maybe even more cloudy orange than previous batches.

Smell - Mango, Mango, Mango.

Taste - the perfect showcase beer for the Citra hop. Fruit explosion, dominated by that mango taste with a slight bitterness.

Feel - great mouth feel. perfect amount of carbonation. nice finish, doesn't linger too long.

Overall - excellent as past tastings.

11/30/14 - Had two pints on draft at a tasting in Milwaukee at the Sugar Maple. Spectacular. I would love to do a blind tasting with ZD from FFF as these are my current #1 and #2 APAs. (681 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Cloudy Copper/Orange

S - Pleasant and Pungent Citrus and Pine

T - Robust Citrus, Pleasantly (but not excessively) bitter, Crisp and Refreshing. Strong initial taste dissipates to a subtle, lingering enjoyable aftertaste.

M - Crisp with a gentle carbonation. Light body.

O - Excellent. Quite a treat. A great example of a beer that is subtle yet powerful. It is not chock-full of hops, which is fine (and I love hops). Rather, it is well-balanced.

A very tasty beverage. (481 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Great beer! Hazy golden color with a nice white head which disappeared quickly. Amazing clean citrus aroma. Flavor follows with a nice citrus hops focus and good malt balance providing nice body and sweetness. Limited bitterness with a clean finish. Almost as good as Zombie Dust. (284 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured into a Sam Adams pint glass light gold orange, with a short head. The nose of this beer smells so juicy it will make you salivate when you sniff, citrus and mango are slapping you in the face. The taste is mostly to me floral and fruity with a bite at the finish, all-in-all one of my new favorites in hoppy beers, I think I have fallen in love with the citra hop because of this (386 characters)

PseudoSue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company