PseudoSue - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-17-2011

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

Reviews: 338 | Hads: 2,959
1.65/5  rDev -63.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Hopefully the beer I drank was from a bad batch. I'm a fan of a citrus beer but this was horrible! I've only poured two beers down the drain because I couldn't finish them and this was one of them. The other beer I poured down the drain was a strong German Eisbock. The first drink of this beer wasn't horrible, grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit and some more grapefruit. There was some hop bitterness on the aftertaste on the first drink but nothing crazy. As I continued drinking this beer the grapefruit was becoming so intense and obnoxious it wasn't enjoyable at all. The aftertaste was very funky and long lasting. I have no idea how this beer is ranked 100!! I bought two bottles to share with two of my friends and neither of them could finish it as well. I was so excited to try this beer and it was a total failure in my book. It's hard to say because this is a loved beer by many but this is one of the worst beers I've drank. I'm going to give it another shot, maybe in the brewery. (995 characters)

Had on tap at tasting, poured into 4 oz glass.

Appearance -cloudy yellow with little head.

Aroma--lots of grapefruit, grass and hop.

Taste-- very bitter to me, almost ammonia-like. Tasted like the smell of cat urine--to me anyway. I work at a vet clinic so this is commonplace smell for me.

Palate--dry, good carbonation, lightly sour on the back of tongue.

Overall, I didn't care for, many other patrons had pints after the tasting. Just can't get over the ammonia I taste/smell in the beer. (497 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Terribly, even shockingly, watery. No pop at all to the flavor, incredibly muted. Maybe a bad batch I got? Although with all the changes at TG, it sounds like this beer's (apparent) glory days are numbered. (206 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I almost feel bad reviewing this beer in its current form, as I've never had it in the 22oz format that was actually produced by Toppling Goliath. I have had it 4 or 5 times though from a couple of different batches since production was moved to a contract brewery in Florida, and it now only shows up in the 12oz bottles used by them. It's a real shame because King Sue is one of the best tasting beers I've ever had when it's fresh and brewed by Mike Saboe. I wish he would take control again of production of Pseudo, b/c I can taste enough there that I know it's likely a phenomenal beer when done right, but the batches from Florida have ranged from a solid basic pale to a drain pour. It really is a shame to create such a universally acclaimed product and then shift production elsewhere and have it slowly eroded...Please fix this beer!! (848 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The bottle enjoyed earlier tonight was from my work buddy Dan... But this bottle is from a great trade with doughanson78.. Pours mostly clear light golden with a decent white head with no real retention... Tropical fruit/melon/tangerine hops and pale maltiness in the nose... Flavor is sorta muddy and the hops are lost in the pale malt.. VERY drinkable, but this is just a good fruity pale ale.

If this was brewed anywhere in Oregon or Southern California, no geeks would have ever given it the time of day.. Pretty nice APA, but Oh sooo standard in THIS neck of the woods.

3.75/3.75/3.5/3.75/3.5 (601 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love citra hops but I just didn't really get them in this beer, it was mostly wheat flavor throughout. Great citra smell, just didnt come through to the palate. (162 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A good beer no doubt, but not sure if it's worth the current rep it has, or if this is really worthy of even being a bomber beer. Would love this in 12oz for fishing or pool. Poured from a bottle at a beer share. (214 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -17.2%

This is my first TG beer as they just became available at my bottle shop. Appearance is straightforward - dark straw to light amber appearance with a fairly fast breaking head. The nose is all about citrus and tropical fruit - pineapple, mango, citrus rind and grass. Taste displays more grass, some pine, pineapple and citrus hops with just a hint of bready malt. Mouthfeel is lighter in body which is the way I like my pales.

This beer reminds me a lot of how FFF Zombie Dust tasted to me the first time I had it on tap which is to say epic. It comes across fresh, fruity, easy to drink and incredibly well made. I hope this stays available in my area - can't wait to try more of their beers. 4.5 Rating

EDIT: As this beer warms it is getting more vegetal on both the nose and palate. Not sure if this is normal or if I have a bad bottle. Not undrinkable but not great either. 3.75 Rating (893 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks Kegatron for the hookup on this one. 12oz bottle into a tulip pint glass. The brew is a hazy copper color with white cap that is quick to fade leaving patchy lace.

Aroma is cheesy at first with some sulfur and citrus notes. It smells good but kinda disappointing that cheesiness leads the way then a nice citrus hop zip.

Taste is citrus hop forward, than herbal grassy and cheesy. Moderate bitterness with nice fruity hop flavors and little to no malt/alcohol backing.

This is medium bodied, modestly carbonated and overall very enjoyable. Would not mind trying this again if it was super fresh but as is its pretty solid. (632 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -15.5%

Currently #33 on the Top 250 list. It has a perfect 100 rating. Expectations are sky high. 22 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing well-drawn label art and unbranded pry-off pressure cap acquired in a trade with the extremely generous Duff27 (thanks so much!) and served into an Avery stem-tulip in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Reviewed as a pale ale because the label clearly identifies it as such.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Decent thickness and creaminess. Okay frothiness. Complexion could be smoother and more even. Complexion is typical of the style. Head retention is above average - about 3 minutes. Uneven inconsistent lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a clear translucent pale copper of above average vibrance. Excellent clarity. Very clean; no floating yeast particles are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it's a good looking pale ale but I can't say it's unique or special. I'm looking forward to the first sip, but I can't see how anyone could give the appearance alone a perfect 5 out of 5.

Sm: Has a fresh, inviting aroma with bursts of pleasant citrus (grapefruit and tangerine) as well as accompanying esters. I also pick up on mango fruit, a vague tropical character, fresh floral character, and a kiss of pine. I'd like more of a dank resinous oily character as well as some nectary character, but the hop notes here are fresh and right up my alley. There seems to be good diversity and presence of flavour based on the aroma.

The malts are pretty predictable - clean pale malts and a dash of caramalt.

No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes are detectable. It doesn't have the off-putting soapiness of many hoppy beers.

Overall, I'm impressed by how seemingly well balanced it is - I don't detect any untamed hop bitterness and it doesn't seem too sweet either. It's a very enjoyable aroma of average strength.

T: The mango fruit is fantastic - and fresh as can be. The citrusy notes are very well balanced and integrated, with plenty of pleasant grapefruit but none of the bitterness or bite grapefruit hop character tends to bring. It has great floral hop character as well, but I'm not finding much in terms of oily, nectary, or resinous hops - though it does have some lovely pine. No matter, the hop profile is lovely as-is, and I find some of the unique tropical character I encountered in their yellow label Xhops. Candied orange peel. Some bubble gum. Papaya. Melon. Quite juicy.

All these diverse hop notes are near perfectly tamed by just the right amount of pale malt-induced sweetness. If caramalt was used, it barely comes through. There are some buried crackery malts too.

It's a clean refreshing flavour profile, and as such it avoids any yeasty character or off-flavours - including overt alcohol.

Balance is great here overall, to the point that the build feels not only cohesive, but gestalt; it's hard to imagine omitting any note without reducing the quality of the beer. That said, I've had more complex, intricate, and subtle pale ales. (Some of Alpine's offerings come to mind).

The unique tropical character lends it appreciated nuance, and I'm beginning to think that characteristic may be a common feature of Toppling Goliath's hoppy beers (at least based on the two I've had). Maybe these unique tropical notes are going to be to Toppling Goliath what floral hop extract is to Lagunitas.

I like it. Above average depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour. There's a lot going on here for a pale ale.

Mf: Overcarbonated, with a light crispness. Smooth and wet. Just a touch oily. Refreshing. Light to medium-bodied. Not too heavy on the palate. Good presence on the palate. Very approachable.

Not gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh. It's not real soft or creamy either.

Overall, this texture complements the taste well. They've tailored it nicely to the flavour profile they're after.

Dr: Absolutely an easily drinkable pale ale with some great hop notes. It's another solid brew from Toppling Goliath, and one I'd definitely get again. Based on what I've had so far, these cats deserve their impeccable reputation and I really look forward to trying more of their beers. I could drink this stuff happily all night, and would recommend it to friends and trade partners. I don't know how they got so much complexity and diversity of flavour out of the citra hop, but wow.

That said, I don't know that it's a world class brew per se or that it's the 33rd best beer currently being brewed. It's damn good stuff, but I'd stop short of calling it great. It's not perfect, but I'm a big fan.

Huge thanks to Duff27 for this rare opportunity!

B+ (4,882 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap into goblet

Hazy orange color with two finger head

Smells: coriander, pine, hemp, bubblegum and resin

Taste: pine, medicinal, resin

Mouthfeel: just fine

Overall, this felt like a good hefe more than an APA. But, I enjoyed it. I cannot say it was great, but' it was worth going out of the way to try. I can't say I won't stop exploring this brewery though. (367 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -15.5%

Thanks to @NWer and his son Matt for this one. Cloudy orange-yellow color, thin cap of white head that quickly dissipated to just a ring, and left decent lacing.

A blast of bright hops attacked as soon as the 12oz bottle was cracked open. The flavor and scent shared a hop forward/low malt profile. The beer was smooth and crisp, with a nicely dry finish. Drinkability was great, I woud drain these regularly if available to me. (429 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

From a 22 oz bottle received in a trade.

Pours a clear light amber color with a small white head. Strong Citra hop smell. Very fruity and citrusy on the nose. Mouthfeel is weak and somewhat watery. I have to say I expected more after the hype and this beer's 100 rating. It's not bad for a 5.8% abv beer but I really thought this would be on par with Zombie Dust. Not even close. (380 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -13.5%

Bomber pours into my glass a hazy, bright orange with a massive and retentive frothy white head. Huge, sticky lacing as the head finally falls (after about five minutes).

The aroma is a showcase for the Citra hop. Big, bright mango, blood orange, and grapefruit along with some orange zest. Pine cones and resin.

Flavor is very juicy. Grapefruit, pineapple, and mango. Slight danky resinous flavor in the background. A touch of indistinguishable grainy sweetness. Lightly bitter.

Light-medium body and moderate carbonation. Very smooth and creamy yet refreshing mouthfeel. Maybe just a touch thin.

Overall, Sue is a great beer. Worth the hype? I'm not sure. Delicious but very simple. Minimal malt backbone for an APA. TG's Light Speed is better in my opinion. (768 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Clean golden color allowed a brilliant bright white foam to sit atop. Nose and tongue perceive the same elements of perfumes, flowers, musky cannabis leaf, earthy floral tones and whole hop cone. This is very dry, very crisp and super easy to drink. My palate seems to have found this differently than so many others but I see why there is a buzz as it's big, bold and daring. (376 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Great artwork on the bottle. Floral and slight citrus scents from a good beer. Anopther Citra bomb. Showcasing the hop well like others do. Speckled haziness from lack there of or low filtration. Heavy mouthfeel that is surprising from the low ABV. (248 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -12.6%

Bottle pour at Woodshop 8 held at The Hermosillo in Los Angeles, CA.

Thanks to drewone for sharing this one.

Pours a hazy honey orange with a foamy bone head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus zest, and herbal hop aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest and herbal hop flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and easy to drink. (630 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -12.6%

A: Cloudy golden orange, really creamy head that lingers.

S: Wow looovvee Citra hops, and this showcases why. Candied mango, grapefruit, passion-fruit, some lemon/lime, tangerine, and light pine. Very tropical. Smells like HF Citra Single, although more pungent.

T: Upfront I get a watermelon like vegetable taste. Not as flavorful as the aroma would suggest, maybe some light citrus notes. Cant get over the overwhelming watermelon taste.

M: Crisp with a light sweetness, appealing dryness as well.

O: Not sure if it's the bottle I got or this is actually how it is but after smelling this beer I was let down. The aroma is just so amazing but didn't drink as well as the smell, was kinda let down on the hype. (717 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from the twelve ounce bottle into a nonic pint glass. Bottled May 29th 2015, (320) listed, agreement with Lakeland Florida.

Chill hazed lemon yellow body, with a lemon pineapple like glow and orb appearance. Fluffy to creamy bleach white head form simply and nicely at about slightly taller than two fingers. Cream bubbled makeup, but with a bit of a soapy appearance.

Nice straightforward hop nose. Zesty, slightly oily. Not heavily pronounced, but classic tangerine like orange and a bit of candy like sweetness to it as well like a classic Christmas orange. Slightly earthy as well with a bit of pine, not much discernible malt character. Pretty solid though.

Palate brings some real nice qualities. Slightly juiced front of orange and mango with a very good dryness and airy powdery malt quality almost cancelling out the mouthfeel's very great but slightly wet qualities. Leafy and mint to tea like finish, with a bigger drying quality that's emphasized on the swallow. Has some classic drying Pliny Elder character which is kind of memorable. Some of the oily fruit character comes through real nicely as it warms. It does become more enjoyable as I drink more of it.

It's a very well made beer, but not something I am going to be crazy over with the plethora of good solid American Pale Ales out there. (1,332 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -11.9%

Rather poor looking but that is to be blamed on the growler I had filled at Casanova's in Hudson. Pours a pale golden color with minimal head. Still quite a bit of spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Citric hop aroma. Hints of grapefruit and some tropical fruit. A little cat piss as well. Not getting much for malt but this is a hop showcase.

The malt gives the flavor a dry character and I think this dryness is why I feel the flavor is a little harsh. Do get plenty of Citra hop flavor. Notes of grapefruit and orange. A little dankness as well.

Body is lighter side of medium and feels about right for a sub 6% ABV beer. Not very well carbonated but that is because of the growler. When I had it on-tap, it was well done.

Toppling Goliath got the best qualities out of the Citra hop. All the great flavor without the harshness that I object to in this hop variety. Just wish they used a little sweeter malt bill to give a little balance. (947 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Received in a recent trade, my first TG beer. It's a very good beer for the style (pale ale) but overrated on this site. Looks and smell is right on, very citrusy. Hazy orange color, nice head but little retention. Taste is just not as great as I hoped. Solid, worth a try for sure. Not one of the best beers in the world. (324 characters)

Poured a brownish orange with very little head. Aroma was a strong melon with a hint of citrus, very juicy. Taste was melon, a bit of citrus, and very light bitterness. Very balanced, and easy drinking, but also a bit subdued and almost washed out flavor Lacked the juicyness of the nose. Had on same night as Zombie Dust, and was not nearly as flavorful. (357 characters)

Bottle. Cloudy burnt orange pour with a white head. Grapefruit hop aromas. Crisp, clean, and dry with pleasant hoppy bitterness. Grapefruit notes dominate with just enough of a malt backbone to keep the ale honest. Citrus and dank pine undercurrents. A nice easy drinking pale ale. Another solid beer from TG. (309 characters)

Pours a soft, frothy, off-white head that has excellent persistence. Bright grapefruit hop aroma. Hazy, straw color. Starts with a quite bitter, brightly citric flavor. Lots of grapefruit, citrus, and slight citrus rind. A touch of sweet malt behind it all. Finish is citrus rind with a touch of malt.

This is pretty good. A nice showcase of Citra hops, and it's definitely well crafted. (390 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

After hearing so much about this beer I picked up a growler fron the Nova having high expectations.

A - Why is this even a category? how my beer looks is the least of my concerns.

S - Great. Definitely a Citra beer. Citrus, cat pee and other bright smell explode from this beer

T - While still good, I dont see what the hype is about. Its too sweet for my liking (I am a dry beer sorta guy, although I see others consider this beer dry, but I got a different impression). The hops come through nicely, but dont shine as much as the nose lets on. There is some flavor that I cant quite put my finger on that I dont really care for.

M - Too much sugar as said above, but good body. Not overly thick or watery. More or less what a APA should be.

Overall this is a good beer, but I wont go out of my way to get more. I drank the growler over 2 days and thought I might like it more the 2nd time around, but I had exactly the same thoughts the next day. I dont get the hype around it at all. This was my first TG beer and Ill still seek out others though. (1,057 characters)

PseudoSue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company