Follow our progress ...

YOUR RATING = None |

PseudoSuePseudoSue

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

Added by emerge077 on 08-17-2011

Reviews: 521 | Ratings: 3,771
4.28/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Shiny new copper penny in color with a trace of fine sediment suspended within the body. There's a massive 2 inch frothy off white head on top. It dissipates later to about a quarter inch covering the majority of the top. Light lacing. Heavenly aroma of citrus hops and light malt is present. Upon my first sip there's a massive citrus and mosaic hop presence that builds in intensity at the back of the palate. There's a nice, deep, lengthy hop burn on the tongue. It is otherwise very sticky, resinous, and bone dry.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I see some of the reviews and honestly, I'm shocked to see some of the ratings. This is a great pale ale, yet far from the best I've had. I'm trying to see what everyone else sees. Ok, on to my review...

Lightly hazy orange copper color with a big white head that fades to a cap and laces great. Notes of light grain, honey, herbal green stuff, citrus piths, grapefruit pulp, light pine and mango. Mouthfeel is great, creamy then bursts with a nice carbonation push that fills the pallet with hops and finishes somewhat dry on a light medium body. Very drinkable, almost crushable. I think this is a great pale ale, I just don't put it as high as others and I'm missing what the rage is on this.

Really good APA!! Really highlights the Citra hops as stated, but not as good as I would have expected it to be. Maybe it's all the hype, must try still!!

4.14/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a nice, slightly hazy, bright, orange color with a well-sized off-white head. Good retention, too.
Smell is immediately hoppy (piney & herbal) with some citrus and bread notes.
Taste is piney hops first and foremost with light notes of citrus, bread, alcohol and faint honey. Pretty good balance but seems more IPA than pale ale due to the hop load.
Desert dry from the sip through the swallow. Medium bodied, light-ish effervescence for the style. Herbal and pine grab the taste buds from the start and never let go. A good beer that would be better if it weren't an aspirational IPA.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful mostly clear orange honey color with a creamy head that retains nicely. Aromas are probably the best showcase of citra I have had yet. Loads of juicy citrus, hints of herbal and piney aromas and you can almost taste the resiny hop oils through your nose. Taste lives up to the aroma with plenty of citrus, herbal hints and loads of oils and resign. Malt balances nicely showcasing hop flavors with little to no alcoholic burn.

4.54/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful slightly opaque orange with a lingering head after hard pour from 16 oz. can into a pint glass. Huge citrus smell. Very smooth light-medium bodied APA. Easily, one of the best I've ever had. Special thanks to Gary S. for bringing this home for me to try.

BEST BEER IVE EVER HAD. Very smooth IPA. Beautiful color smells le orange juice when u first pour it out of the can(2/26/16). Excellent job up in Decorah

4.96/5  rDev +10%

This is my go-to pale ale. Rating 16oz can picked up from their Taphouse and poured into pint glass. Color is golden honey with a 1 finger white head and good lacing. Smells strongly of citrus fruits. Orangy and tangerine dominates the nose. The beer is incredibly smooth; tastes of grapefruit, orange, Lemon, slight pine, and ends with a mild bready malt. Carbonation is strong and fits very well with this beer. This is one of the best pale ales around and it showcases the citra hops incredibly.

4.48/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was floored when I saw this In 4-pack cans in a local Lakeland Florida liquor store last weekend (4-10-2016). I never thought I'd ever get a chance to try this high ranking APA. Reading the can it says "under special agreement with Lakeland FL". Killer! We can now get this here in Florida, I think? On to the review: pours a slightly cloudy honey color. The head is very impressive 3 fingers leaving stringy lacing on lager glass. Smells like resinous hops and sour oranges. Taste pretty solid! Not too hoppy nor malty yet still flavorful enough to Stand out from the rest. This is a great tasting APA and I see why it ranks so high. I sure hope i can get this locally here in Tampa in the future, I'll definitely seek this out. 4.50

4.49/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a slightly hazy pale yellow orange color with great clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Spotty lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Citrus, stone fruit, lemon, tangerine, grapefruit, some pine, and a little tropical hops followed by biscuity, toasted, caramel, and pale malts.

Taste: This beer gets tastier and better with every sip. Very enjoyable, delicious, and tasty. Grapefruit, tangerine, orange peel, pine, lemon, stone fruit, and a little tropical hops followed by caramel, pale, bready, biscuity, and toasted malts. Light tingly bitterness and a little chewy.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light bodied, light lingering bitterness, slightly chewy, sessionable, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Second night in s tow having this beer. Definitely growing on me and looking forward to the rest of the Pseudo Sues in my fridge now.

4.32/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

16 ounce slammer into an oversized tulip.

I was expecting a NE haze bomb for some reason and this is not that. Great transparency through the coppery-colored body. Good frothy head with good signs of persistence and lacing. Radiant carbonation. 5

Hugely fruity aroma. Tropical notes like so many different pales and IPAs I've had recently. Perhaps I'll get tired of this, but at the moment, I"m loving it. Resin and pine stand out as well. A light and biscuity malt presence shows and seems perfect to complement the fruit. 4.25

Flavor is light, gentle, tame but also satisfying. Still very fruity and showing mango and papaya notes. Biscuity light malt to fill things out. Finishes with light earthy notes and black tea very faintly. 4.25

Feel-wise this does a great job of providing some fullness in body and still drinking lightly and easily. Bitterness is there but tame. Dry finish but not too dry. Bubbly carbonation up front that mellows out by the finish. Very nice. 4.5

This is good. Veddy good.

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is another very solid brew from Toppling Goliath. What an incredibly smooth, balanced, refreshing and drinkable Pale Ale. The nose is filled with tons of citrus and grapefruit and causes your mouth to water even before the first sip. The nose translated nicely to the palate, but also had a nice helping of evergreen and pine resin flavors on the finish. So happy that this is now widely distributed throughout my state and I can readily find this in my liquor store now. Two thumbs way up! Cheers!

4.39/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 ounce can dated 3/9/16, poured into a snifter. Nice thick head.

Sue is new to Florida distribution and I'm happy that she found her way down here thanks to Brew Hub/TG. I've never had one from the original brewery, so nothing to compare it to as far as that goes. Light copper color with a very bright aroma on the nose...super clean citrus, ripe mango and bitter hop notes. The taste is quite good; grapefruit and orange with nice pine resin but not too sticky. As many others have stated...Juicy. Nice mouthfeel with good body and perfectly carbonated. Pretty sure that I will be drinking more than a few of these this summer. A very enjoyable beer.

4.26/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice to have a solid all Citra pale ale in MN! A nice approachable pale ale that is more session-able than most of my go-to's. This review is based on pouring both into a snifter and trying directly out of the can. Both were pleasant experiences. For the look (obviously out of the snifter) - straw-like pale in color as one would expect however had a hazy appearance to it... not your normal haze, but something else - actual small visible particles? Not sure if this was cold haze or if it was from hop extract? Have seen similar stuff from older Abrasive cans, but this was not that old of a can. Didn't deter me from drinking. For the smell, out of the snifter, much better Citra grapefruit nose (as expected vs. out of the can) dominates everything. I love a good Citra nose and this doesn't disappoint. Taste is a bit thin on the body and as a result, I perceived it to be slightly astringent (the main knock on the beer for me). It was very dry which can be nice, but I was hoping for it to be just a bit more "citra juicy" when the body balances in a bigger way... Mouth-feel was fine and overall this beer is very enjoyable. Glad to have it in MN liquor stores now!

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

An incredibly balanced beer with citra. Perfect mouthfeel, and oh so drinkable. Definitely a mango/honey thing going on with this. Wish I had an abundant supply to drink year round.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Been waiting to try this one. Golden color. Nice head after a pour from can. Canned in January so not super fresh. Super sweet and fruity taste. Very smooth finish and feel. Aroma doesn't do a ton for me. Can't believe the ABV on this. Reminds me a lil of Jai Alai, only sweeter.

4.79/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a fine beer - many thanks to my pal Parris. Poured from a can dated the last week of February, so only 5 weeks old. I considered letting it celebrate its first birthday, but I'm selfish. Poured a copper-orange color - nice head. Love the tropical smell, and it carries into the taste - almost like a grapefuit with a nice malt balance. Was expecting a hop blast but didn't get it.....which is a nice change. Shouldn't forget this is an APA.
I am on a roll with top quality beers lately.....might be time to find a Molson Ice to bring me back to my roots

4.59/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Serving: 16oz can, canned early March 2016, into a tulip
Served: 28 Mar 2016

Appearance: Pours a great golden yellow color with a soft one finger head that sticks around for a bit, but not forever. Good carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass. Slight haze, but nothing extreme.

Smell: Very pungent citrus and pine hop smells. Quite resinous. Not much malt on the nose. Very clean smelling, which is refreshing.

Taste: Wow, what a great beer. Very assertive citra hops and everything that comes with them- grapefruit, mango, pine, lemon peel, and a pinch of fresh mown grass. The hop flavors cut across the palate nicely and leave you thirsting for more. Slight malt sweetness but nothing too noticable. Very clean tasting.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium-high carbonation. Drinks great.

Overall: Definitely deserving the rating it gets and very comparable to Zombie Dust. I have to say that this one edges out Zombie Dust slightly due to its awesome format- who doesn't love 16oz cans?!

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This just came into the FL market under agreement with Lakeland, FL...great to finally have it here. I never had the original, just this newly Brewer down south. Pint can mar/9/16 dated so fresh.
Smell is citrus, mango and some funk, very nice. Taste is fantastic for a Pale Ale as it drinks more like an IPA to me, which is my favorite style. Appearance is typical PA, golden and clear. Opinion: I am going to load up every time I see this. It's a great tropical forward hoppy pale ale that I always search for. This is a good one. Get you some.

4.71/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Finally got my paws on one of these after slight disappointments last summer with Dorothy and 1492. Absolutely delicious with the citra taste killing it. Could easilly become my goto along with Boat and DaisyCutter in the sub 6% pale range.

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

16oz can,canned 3 weeks prior to me enjoying. Amazing beer, well worth the effort it took me to get one! Strong Citra Hop beer, with bit of an earthy note as you drink it. Poured a beautiful Yellow orange into my tulip glass. Produced a wonderful juicy citrusy aroma!

A tip of the hat to the boys at Toppling Goliath!

4.27/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16oz can courtesy of the largesse of @Ri0. According to the stamp on the bottom of the can (love the label, by the way), this was canned on February 11, 2016. This is my first Iowa beer, let alone first Toppling Goliath beer, and I’m stoked to get a shot at it.

Poured into a Boundary Bay pint glass (possibly the oldest surviving beer glass I own, I just realized), this was a semi-clear, golden amber color, with a big, sudsy off-white head that hung about for some time. Lots of sticky lace globs, briefly appear, then slide back down the sides of the glass to rejoin the beer.

Juicy aroma! I don’t know what hop(s) are used in my favorite semi-local APA (Field 41, for those fans listening at home), but this reminds me a lot of that beer. Very bright and citrusy, with a nice backbone of bitter hop aroma to keep it from being mistaken for some sort of sweet fruit juice, plus a little spiciness. It smells absolutely delicious.

The taste is much like the aroma. Citrusy sweet and citrusy bitter, with some bitter pine and spice notes to keep things from drifting off to Orange Julius land (love me some Orange Julius as a desserty kind of thing; in beer, not so much). Nice, restrained dryness at the swallow. This went way too fast.

Light-to-medium bodied, with a resiny, oily mouthfeel that would be unremarkable in some IPAs I’ve had, let alone an APA.

This is a great beer. It’s like a slightly fuller flavored, slightly stronger version of what Bale Breaker brings to the style, and that’s perhaps the best compliment I could give it. Plus, it’s in a tallboy can! I need more of this. Thank you, @Ri0!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L: Pours a golden yellow with a slight haze
S: Very strong hop aroma. Smells of citrus, pine, and spices. Citrus aromas are more subtle than expected from other massively citra hopped beers.
T: Big, juicy hop flavor without the same bitterness of an IPA. Hops dominate the taste with the malt flavors taking a distant second. A bit an the drier side for an APA.
F: Between light and medium bodied. Seems like this one would be quite sessionable.
O: Great display of the citra hops without allowing any unpleasant flavors or aromas to show through. Malt flavor is present in a support role, but the big juicy hop taste is what makes this beer stand out.

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned 12/18/15 and poured 3/25/16. Not the freshest can, but this was a freebie from Tony, and it's a beer I've wanted to try for as long as I can remember.

This beer pours beautifully. Solid finger of a soapy white head. Pretty damn hazy orange color to "The Sue" with a fair amount of lacing. Can't ask for much more out of an APA. Sexy indeed.

Love that citra. Predominantly citrus and mango with a little bit of hop resin that gives a bit of a piney vibe. Nice caramel malt sweetness. Smells great, but it's not "bursting" -- again, probably because of its age. Regardless, I'm really loving what I'm getting here, and in terms of APA's , it's near the top: despite how "old" this can is.

This hits the tongue with a ton -- in a good way -- of carbonation. Very prickly carbonation opens the taste buds to the hops like a tongue scraping from a good ol' T-Rex. The flavor follows the nose with a super clean citrus, mango, and pineapple flavor, with a nice dose of pine on the back end as well. The malty sweetness in the nose isn't quite as prevalent in the flavor, which has this beer coming off very nearly like an IPA to me. The finish is super refreshing with the perfect amount of hop bitterness for the style.

A delight, even at a little over 3 months old. I hope I manage some more of this in the future, as it's one of the best APA's I've had... easily. Maybe not quite the level of Zombie Dust, but it's up there.

4.6/5  rDev +2%

Amazing Pale! Almost an IPA. Aromas of hops and trops. Smooth mouthfeel with tastes of smooth hops and tropical fruit followed by a mild bitterness. TGB!

PseudoSue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company