PseudoSue - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-17-2011

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

Ratings: 2,675 | Reviews: 340
4.71/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best pale ale I've had so far, I enjoyed this more than zombie dust in almost every way.

4.66/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of the best if not best pale ales I've ever had. I prefer this over zombie dust purely because of the unreal hop feel and aftertaste. This was a real treat. Excellent flavors of grapefruit with slight oak and start to finish a pleasure. Great malt profile. Nose and appearance could be better but in the end taste is king.

4.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: Bomber into tulip glass. Murky copper and frothy head.
smell: Citrus bomb. Orange and grapefruit.
taste: No where close to the smell.
feel: Well carbonated and finishes with some bitterness.
overall: Slightly disappointed. I was expecting something closer to zombie dust.

4.2/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not the flavor I thought but damn is that a beautiful appearance. Like an orange. My favorite opaque appearance with a tall beautiful head that subsides slowly. Spotted lacing down the glass. Not sure it lived up to the hype though.
Definitely drinkable.

4.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Strong citrus smell, a cloudy orange colored delicious beer, now bring on king sue

4.6/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Probably the best American pale ale I have ever had. Full, rich, smooth, and clean. Moar!!!

Great complex brew. One of my favorites. Smooth delivery. The hops and citrus are an excellent blend!

4.63/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Had fresh, out of the bottle. The sweetness from the tropical fruits come through and a larger note from the grapefruit, the citra really shines here. Great beer!

4.64/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed at Hunahpu's Day 2015 at Cigar City Brewery in Tampa

4.51/5  rDev -1.7%

Have you had a beer with citra hops? well this is a good example. Generally cloudy which warrants a demerit but flavor and aroma are strong.

4.59/5  rDev 0%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lives up to the hype. Thanks to Justin for sending this. Pours a hazy, cloudy yellow with a two finger head. Aroma bursts with pineapple, mango, apricot, and especially grapefruit. Taste is an explosion of the same. Carries a bitter bite all the way through. Amazing beer considering the low ABV.

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Great Beer when I can find it.

4.76/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 22oz bottle, pale orange, largely clear. Foam settles to nice film. Smell is amazing: grapefruit, piney, bit of apricot and mango. Taste follows suit with citrus and mango. Mild malt on back end fading crisp and clean. Feel / carbonation is spot on. Lives up to the hype-my clear standout from a pale ale tasting that included other TG offerings and those from other breweries. Wish I could drink this much more often!

4.8/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite pale ales

4.08/5  rDev -11.1%

Solid and flavorful but nothing particularly remarkable. For a light and tasty pale ale, it's hard to top this.

4.76/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Awesome beer. Delicious aroma and taste.. Love the cloudy unfiltered color as well. Shout out to my awesome trade buddy Josh for sending this my way!
Lots of similarities to Kern River Brewing Citra double ipa

4.56/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

More than lived up to the hype. Wow. What an explosion of aromas and flavor. Considering moderate ABV...it's flat out amazing. If I had done a blind tasting I would have guessed Alpine...not Iowa. These guys know how to brew.
Powerhouse of complex citrus and hints of dried pine and apricot. The hops and malt balance beautifully. Drinks way too easy.
Chase this one and get as many as you can.

4.4/5  rDev -4.1%

This is a pretty good beer.

4.3/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Wish the aroma was more like the taste

1.65/5  rDev -64.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Hopefully the beer I drank was from a bad batch. I'm a fan of a citrus beer but this was horrible! I've only poured two beers down the drain because I couldn't finish them and this was one of them. The other beer I poured down the drain was a strong German Eisbock. The first drink of this beer wasn't horrible, grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit and some more grapefruit. There was some hop bitterness on the aftertaste on the first drink but nothing crazy. As I continued drinking this beer the grapefruit was becoming so intense and obnoxious it wasn't enjoyable at all. The aftertaste was very funky and long lasting. I have no idea how this beer is ranked 100!! I bought two bottles to share with two of my friends and neither of them could finish it as well. I was so excited to try this beer and it was a total failure in my book. It's hard to say because this is a loved beer by many but this is one of the worst beers I've drank. I'm going to give it another shot, maybe in the brewery.

4.14/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tastes of wet grass, guava, and almost too ripe cantaloupe. Not bad

4.74/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This one lives up to the hype. A big grapefruity, citrusy APA. The beer this one reminded me most of is Sculpin. If you want a pale ale that tastes like a Sculpin, get this. Perhaps the best apa/ pale ale I have ever had.

4.8/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a cloudy orange with a finger of white head. Huge aroma of citrus, tropical fruit and resin. Tastes of grapefruit, oranges, mango and evergreen. This is super juicy. Medium light mouth with good carbonation. It's not your typical pale ale, but it's great.

4.08/5  rDev -11.1%

22 oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. No bottle date

A very pale orange, 100% -can't see through cloudy, with a big frothy white head that settles into a film like layer on top. Mine also had a bunch of sediment floating around, and settled in the bottom of the glass. Not sure if that is normal for this beer.

Smells very citrusy. Orange, melon, lemon, and mango in nature. Faint sweet bready malt.

Taste is all citrus with very little malt considering the appearance. Strong mango and melon flavor. Maybe a little peach too. The hops have a little bite, but not too much bitterness. I get a little bit of a grassy "green" taste too even though it is supposed to be single citra hopped.

The body is fairly creamy. Average carbonation.

My general impression is that this beer is either older, or may have some sort of issue because my experience isn't jiving with any of the other reviews I have read after typing most of this. It reminds me of a Zombie Dust that is 3 or 4 months old. Just kind of flat. Someone else even noted that it pours clear. Mine looks like a hefe. Very good, but my gut feeling is something isn't right.

4.62/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to @ChiDave for this extra! Big citrus and mango smell. Beautiful cloudy light orange color. Frothy thick head that hangs around for a long time. Lots of beautiful lacing on the glass. Taste is crisp, fresh and citrus on top of citrus, maybe some apricot in there too. There's a certain Taste that citra hops
Leaves that I've never been able to place, but it's fkn great. I digress. Bottom line.... "Drink it. It's good "

PseudoSue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company