PseudoSue - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-17-2011

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

Reviews: 388 | Hads: 3,147
4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: the beer pours a nice orange color that is slightly hazy. There's a nice white head that forms with minimal carbonation bubbles

Smell: I get a nice dose of passion fruit and mango in the nose.

Taste: the mango shines a bit more than the passion fruit with a minimal bitterness at the end. So good

Feel: a medium mouthfeel with some drying effect. I keep sipping more

Overall: this is an excellent pale ale with some serious fruit flavors going on!

4.62/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very excited to try Toppling Goliath and this very highly ranked brew
Pour - murky, burnt orange color
Smell - hoppy, citrus
Taste - very balanced bitterness with semi-sweetness
Overall - very drinkable with a nice light mouthfeel. Wish that this was easier to find, very good choice.

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: A lively pour fills the Spiegelau glass with a hazy gold liquid that clears to brilliant as the beer warms. It produces a 2” finely bubbled white foam collar that takes 2 minutes to recede to a thick, clingy film. S: Tropical fruit, melon, citrus and herbal aromas rise from the glass. T: The attack begins with tropical fruit laced with citrus over a light malt backbone with a surprisingly tart, juicy finish. F: Very creamy with a medium to medium light body and medium carbonation. O: This beer is packed with so much flavor that it is hard to believe that it is only 5.8% abv.

Was sent a couple bottles from a very kind BA in Iowa. After reading about how the new Brew Hub brewed Sue has nothing on the old Iowa brewed ones I cant even imagine how good those had to have been. This is my favorite hoppy beer I have had even over Heady Topper. It looked hazy and bright orange, smelled awesome, and tasted extremely juicy and tropical. It was like alcoholic orange juice in the best way imaginable. This is a masterpiece to me, and I could drink them every day(so it's probably a good thing I dont have regular access to them lol).

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%

12 oz bottle. Hazy amber color thin white head. Tropical fruit and a little fresh bread in the aroma. Outstanding balanced taste with tropical fruit and orange peel hops with faint pine. Perfect amount of caramel malt balance, not too sweet. Mouth is super soft and smooth with a crisp dry finish. Overall one of the best pale ales I've had, delicious.

4.16/5  rDev -8.2%

Reviewed with a friend at 5 weeks old (according to the bottle date)

Pours out a typical pale orange kind of color.

The aroma is lead by soft tropical fruit notes of peach, mango, orange peel and tangerine.

Taste is also very citrus forward with orange, grapefruit, pineapple and mango heavy on the tongue.

The body is light and the mouthfeel is crisp. Drinks like a Pale Ale which is nice since a lot of Pale Ales verge on IPA territory anymore.

Good beer? Yes! Overhyped? Yes! For single hop Citra Pale Ales there's a certain Zombie king for me.

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Straight from the bottle. This pale ale packs a hoppy punch that brings the Citra hop straight to the palate. Grapefruit and piney notes with a fruity but hoppy nose. SLightly malty with a faint bitter finish, great body and medium carb play going on. I enjoy this beer a lot but not sure if it's because its new to my palate since I'm on the westcoast but overall its a very solid brew.

4.73/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is a slightly cloudy deep orange-gold color with a giant aroma of mango and grapefruit. The taste is malty sweet with the mango and grapefruit appearing here in healthy doses. A nice mild bitterness on the finish rounds out this spectacular brew. This is a juicy delicious and well balanced beer. Truly a joy to drink.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

Really good stuff. Extreme balance. I'd like more IBU's, but obviously this is a Pale. Looking forward to the King.
Btw, I like Golden Nugget just as much. I think the fact it's easier to get, hurts its rating. IMO

4.02/5  rDev -11.3%

Smell is of citrus, tropical fruit, and malt sweetness. Taste is heavily tropical, with mango being most prominent for me. Finish is slightly bitter but blends well with the citrus and tropical flavors. A really smooth drinking and flavorful beer that doesn't quite live up to the hype for me, although I've heard that the newer Florida batches are getting closer to the original.

3.53/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I almost feel bad reviewing this beer in its current form, as I've never had it in the 22oz format that was actually produced by Toppling Goliath. I have had it 4 or 5 times though from a couple of different batches since production was moved to a contract brewery in Florida, and it now only shows up in the 12oz bottles used by them. It's a real shame because King Sue is one of the best tasting beers I've ever had when it's fresh and brewed by Mike Saboe. I wish he would take control again of production of Pseudo, b/c I can taste enough there that I know it's likely a phenomenal beer when done right, but the batches from Florida have ranged from a solid basic pale to a drain pour. It really is a shame to create such a universally acclaimed product and then shift production elsewhere and have it slowly eroded...Please fix this beer!!

4.19/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Two 12oz bottles, purchased and tasted several days apart. Bottled dates of 10 Jul 15 and 10 Aug 15. Poured into an Irish Imperial pint glass. Golden color, hazy. Moderate amount of visible carbonation. 1/2 inch of slightly off-white head that recedes slowly, leaving some lacing on the glass. Aroma is wonderful citrus and pine. Pleasant, inviting me to take a taste. Good initial body and mouth feel. Malt backbone is present, but so are the hops. Definite citrus "juiciness", but the dominant hops taste is pine that carries through the middle, with the bitterness asserting in the finish. Very well balanced, though, with the malty body continuing through to nicely balance the hops bitterness and to finish clean. This ale is really good. There's been a lot of discussion that the Brew Hub / FL versions are substandard compared with the legendary Decorah brew, but these versions are really good.

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From a newly distributed to MN single, bottled on July 10th, into an imperial pint. Very cool label!

A: fairly clear, bright glowering mango orange with a finger of white head that subsides fairly quickly and leaves decent but not great lacing.
S: Angels are singing... Sweet flowery orange blossoms, juicy mango and grapefruit (again, fairly sweet and light, but also substantial), mild pineapple, faint and sweet fresh-cut grass, some caramel...just a little dankness as you get past the initial flowery and juicy sweetness.
T: Everything in the nose shows up here, though the integration isn't quite as brilliant; enough malt to provide a solid body; there is a bit more bitterness, which is good. A slight minty and earthy tinge (that I don't really get in the nose) lingers at the end. Truly outstanding.
M: Fairly light, medium carb, good body...neither real thick nor thin, nice bit of aggressive bite to go with the sweet flowery tropical flavors, goes down way too easy and quickly.

So good. Ecstatic that these guys are in MN now...looking forward to drinking this often.

4.94/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint. Bottled 10 July.

L- Dark gold and medium-clear with a bubbly white head that sticks around for quite some time.

S- phenomenal citra notes. Orange, grapefruit, juice, a bit of pine.

T- much like the taste. Citrus, but in a sweet, juicy way. Bitterness present, but overall intensity, between white-bread malt and bitterness, is pretty low.

F- medium-full body is great. Carbonation is a little zippy for the style.

O- this beer makes APAs exciting

4.64/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a clear light golden amber with lots of visible lively bubbly carbonation. Head is and inch and a half of frothy foamy white color. Retention is absolutely excellent and lacing is phenomenally plentiful.

S: Wow what inviting aromas of tropical fruits, and citrus that present themselves immediately. Mango, grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, and tangerine are the prevalent smells. Then in the middle you find aromas of sweet malts, and fresh cut grass. On the end you get some floral hop notes. Absolutely fantastic this is one of the best smelling brews I've ever had.

T: This brew continues to blow my f***ing mind. Opens with huge bold citrus and tropical fruit flavors. Mango, grapefruit, peach, orange, lemon, pineapple, tangerine, and cantaloupe flavors are all present to me. In the middle of the taste you find sweet malts, and grassy/pine like hop bitterness. Finishes with floral hop flavors and a nice lingering bitter/fruity aftertaste.

M:Light to medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Incredibly smooth and easy drinking. It's qualities make it almost too easy to drink. This is a perfect all/every day kind of brew but it has such depth of aromas and flavors that I feel like I am committing a beer crime for how fast I am drinking these. I love this beer but I wish it had a slightly heavier mouthfeel.

O: This is one of the most impressive brews I have ever had. I have heard such great things about Toppling Goliath and finally we get distribution to our store. I picked this up immediately after work and proceeded to have my brains blown out of my f***ing head like a .50 cal round hit me. This is easily the best Pale Ale I have ever had the pleasure to consume. This will forever have a place in my heart and has immediately become one of my favorite beers. I plan to drink the f*** out of this. I would stand by my recommendation of this brew to my death. Seek this brew out beer lovers far and wide, this is truly a white whale that deserves any amount of praise heaped upon it.

4.31/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer pours a slightly hazy deep straw with an average head. As one would expect, the smell is upfront with grapefruit and orange, as well pineapple and mango. The flavor follows through with these, as well as a nice background toasty flavor from the malt. The mouthfeel is smooth and inviting. I got to the end of my glass very quickly here. The reasonably light body plus the smooth mouthfeel make this a very quaffable beer. Awesome, I am so glad I got a chance to try this.

4.94/5  rDev +9.1%

This is one of my favorite brews. It's light & crisp but still refreshing. Tons of bright notes that range from; pineapple, grapefruit, tangerines, oranges, white grapes & a hint of honey.

4.31/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a fantastic appetizing golden color that leaves lacing throughout.

Smell is perfect. Huge citrus notes of mangoes and pineapple pineapple. Very tantalizing.

Taste is fantastic. It's a citrus bomb that has an excellent lingering fruity flavor. I am a sucker for Citra hops and think it makes the best IPAs/APAs.

I have had several PseudoSue's in a 22 ounce bomber from the brewery in Decorah and have also had several beers from Brewhub in Florida. I think the beers are very close in similarity.

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a pale gold with a goodly amount of foam that leaves some lacing behind.

Huge citrus on the nose with almost as big aromas of mango. Smells hoppier vs bitter.

The citrus just kicks it here. Mixed in with that mango and a light malt that comes across as bready, this is one magnificent APA. Btw, the citrus is most definitely grapefruit with a touch of lemon zest.

Medium bodied, perfect carbonation.

So flavourful, so refreshing, so damn good. Hell yeah!

4.28/5  rDev -5.5%

Bottle dated May 27 15. Poured from 12oz bottle into pub pint glass. Big thanks to Charlie for throwing in this extra on the trade.

L- pours a hazy pale golden/ straw color with a red bottom, about a finger of white head leaving a white cap that sits atop the beer on the way down along with a bit of lacing.

A- it reeks of citra hops, I took out of an open bag of citra hops and smelled them side by side, the girl friend even said they smell the same, I love it. Very strong tropical notes. Hints of malt sweetness.

T- tropical notes with some malty sweetness followed by mild hop bitterness. Some floral notes become evident about halfway through the beer. I let the gf have a sip and she was hesitant to give it back, she's not a craft beer drinker.

M- it has a good mouthfeel for the type, strong carbonation

O- it's a good beer, I'm not sure if I'd rate it a 100, but good none the less. I was excited to try this beer, but feel slightly let down, I guess since it had such a high score I expected amazing. Don't get me wrong though, I do like it and would definitely buy it. Maybe I just need a newer bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very excited for this one. Pours a dark orange color with about a finger and a half of white head. Smells of citrus and hops. Taste follows suit. So incredibly juicy. This bottle is a little over a month old, so I can't imagine how it would be fresh. Also, a bit one-noted. But still probably my second favorite pale next to zd.

4.21/5  rDev -7.1%

Serving type: 12oz bottle dated 6/19/2015
Huge citrus and tropical fruit notes right off the bat. Taste is much of the same. Extremely easy to drink and very refreshing. Excellent session beer.

4.26/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Last batch I had was from the first BrewHub run. The color was significantly darker than previous batches and the taste wasn't dialed in like prior batches. In a blind test, I don't think I'd point this out as being PsuedoSue. I'll review again after they get a few more batches under their belt any hopefully improve my score

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a pleasant, glowing orange color with a large white foam head that slowly dissipates. Leaving a small ring of lacing around the edge.

Aroma is bursting with citrus and fruit, evident as soon as the beer is poured. You can taste the peaches, pineapple and grapefruit. Remarkably vivid.

Taste is absolutely sensational. Enormous fruit flavors that end with a finish of pine. Grapefruit, peach, pineapple, orange, tangerine. Accented by light floral and citrus hops. As it warms, pine starts to take a little more of the spotlight. Finishes a bit bitter.

Light bodied. Smooth. Even at just 5.8%, this beer is as dangerously drinkable as you'll find. I feel like I could drink an entire case of this. Very versatile, suitable for an time of year.

Overall, this is quite possibly the best beer I've ever had. So ridiculously drinkable and versatile. As tasty as any beer you'll find. In a beer world oversatured by IPAs and PAs, this one manages to stand out.

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A) An almost glowing orange to light amber body. Poured into 12 oz Tulip and mainted about 1 inch of foam. Perfect amount of carbination.

S) The nose was mostly tropical fruit mango, pineapple with a light hint of orange and a subtle prickly resin on the back end

T) Wow what a super flavorful single IPA ! Huge tropical fruit that gives way to a perfect piney mouthfeel as you wash it down. As it warmed up the fruity notes began to leave the resin and pine in the dust. This beer is too drinkable.

O) Id drink it over zombie dust any day.

PseudoSue from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company