PseudoSue - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

PseudoSuePseudoSue

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

This single hop ale showcases the Citra hop. Named for the largest T-rex fossil ever discovered, she roars with ferocious aromas of grapefruit, citrus, mango and evergreen. Delicate in body with a mild bite in the finish.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-17-2011)

4.5/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle on June 10th, 2014. Not sure on the exact bottling date, but I know it was at the end of May. Shout out to @jruno for hooking me up.

Appearance: Just absolutely stunning. It has that orange amber hue that I love so much, ala Enjoy By, Heady, etc. Poured a nice eggshell white, one finger head. Head retention is great, lacing is nice and sticky.

Smell: Just wow. Lovely ripe, tropical fruits. Mango and pineapple are predominant. A bit of orange citrus, and some light dankness from the citra. The smell is right up there with Heady.

Taste: Unlike anything I've had before. The tropical fruits that I mentioned before just come out in full force. Mango, pineapple, maybe papaya too? I've gotten tropical fruit notes out of some things before, but not like this. A bit of that dankness is there, but not as strong as something like Enjoy By. Very low bitterness, it doesn't linger at all. It's so juicy, and actually seems sweet from the tropical fruit notes, but it really isn't. There is a light, crackery malt underneath to balance it out.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium mouthfeel, a bit sticky with the perfect low to mid level carbonation that I love to see in this style. Just perfect.

Overall: Yeah, this guy is the real deal. I didn't think I'd enjoy anything in this style more than Heady, but this is it. Just absolutely incredible. I tend to rate my beers a little higher, but a perfect score in all sections still isn't something I would normally give out. The hype is real.

4.25/5  rDev -7.4%

4.94/5  rDev +7.6%

A - A gorgeous yellow orange hue, almost golden. A bit of haziness is apparent. Head is moderate and the lacing is quite good.

S - Mango, papaya, peach, pineapple, grapefruit and a slight hint of bubblegum. Slight traces of garlic piney dankness comes through in the aroma as well. A beautiful bouquet of fruits come together in harmony. Super complex; would be perfect with a tad more intensity.

T - Super juicy. Citra hops really shine here and they hit in huge waves of pineapple, peach, mango, grapefruit and papaya just as you would detect on the nose. The bubblegum I was getting in the nose comes through very subtly mid palate as well. There's also a bit of onion / garlic astringency near the finish which reminds me a lot of Enjoy By. So much flavor and complexity for 5.8%; it's mind blowing.

M - Amazing mouthfeel. It's medium bodied and quite malty for how hop forward this beer is, even though you can't really taste those malts. Finishes very dry and is super sticky. Perfect.

O - This is my first TG brew and I am already a huge fan. One of the best APAs I've had, with only Zombie Dust coming close. I think this beer has better flavor than Zombie Dust, but not quite as good of an aroma. I can only hope that Toppling Goliath will distribute to Omaha, NE sometime soon.

4.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Split a bottle 3 days after it was bottled.

A- Poured a straw yellow that darkened after it settled, semi thick 1 finger head left thick lacing.
S- Citrus. Not too in your face, but citrus notes abound. Easily the best smelling pale ale I've come across.
T- Citrus notes, slightly bitter, with a clean after taste.
M- Nice carbonation, light on the mouth, tickled as it went down.
Overall I have some in my fridge to share with friends who have yet to try this but it's just so good that I might have a few to myself. This is a beer everyone should try. Citra hops are my favorite and this is my favorite citra beer so far.

4.25/5  rDev -7.4%