Join our email list →

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States | website

English India Pale Ale (IPA) | 6.20% ABV

Beer added by: FreshHawk on 11-15-2011

Our Naughty 90 Oaked IPA was inspired by ocean bound, oak barreled brews of the 1800’s. Packed with hops on a 90-minute schedule, uniquely malted, then aged on a bed of oak, this IPA delivers a taste that is both innovative and timeless.

100+ IBU
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured like it was a muddy unfiltered cider, very little in the way of head.

The smell was an odd mix of light citrusy hops and vanilla and oak.

Wow the flavor is strange, very sweet and desert like, I get a huge blast of vanilla and caramel, mild oak flavors underlying with a touch of grainy malts, the hops are almost non existent in the flavor other than a mild bitterness. I am really enjoying the flavor, yet I would never describe it as IPA.

The mouthfeel is smooth with a nice bit of dry oakyness.

A very strange beer, it seems mislabeled as Oak aged IPA, taste like something completely different, but kind of interesting at leas.

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

From a one day old sealed growler to a La Chouffe Tulip.

A: An amber, deep blood-orange hue permeates throughout this hazy pour. There is a chalky white head to it. Not a huge head, but, it does leave decent lacing marks.

S: Despite the bold flavors of this, I'm surprised that the smell does not match strength wise. It's three things predominantly, Oak, Vanilla, and spicy toasted nut armoa. I expected hops to be in there somewhere, and their is a little bit of pine detectable, but the aroma from this is very pleasing regardless.

T: While I have not had other oaked IPA's before, so, it may be a little difficult for me to compare, I thoroughly enjoy the taste of this. Again, Oak, Vanilla, and a bread like malt is present. It's a medium bitter profile in general.

M: This is once again another highlight. It's a medium body, with a lively texture, and a long finish. This one sticks with you in a good way.

O: It's an exceptional beer in my book. Was I expecting more hops for an IPA, yes. Was I let done by how it comes off in general, by no means. Toppling Goliath has created a beer that I will recommend for anyone seeking a well crafted unique IPA. I will be seeking this out again myself. Job well done.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Been wanting to try Toppling Goliath ever since I heard about em opening, but since I never get to Marshalltown (and no longer live in Iowa), I was thinking I'd have to wait until they started bottling or canning. Thankfully, I stopped by Iowa City's Sanctuary on the way to my old hometown in Waterloo, and they had 4 separate TG beers on tap. That's a wonderful endorsement.

Sounded too good to pass up: medium strength, hop-forward IPA aged with oak chips. We need more oaked beers that have ABVs under 7. Because, seriously, oak aged beers are usually wonderful but sometimes you got to drive after drinking.

Smells predominantly of west coast hops--the profile is boilerplate but well balanced, with nodes of oranges, grapefruit, and green herbs. Things go from good to exceptional, however, after the beer warms a little bit and the herbal hop nodes are accentuated perfectly by just the lightest nodes of woody vanilla, which combine with the rounded, biscuity malt to give the beer an exceptional balance.

Tastes like it smells. The oakiness doesn't take center stage; this is, first and foremost, an well balanced, hoppy IPA--the oak just adds bang to the balance.

This is the sort of imaginative, innovative flavor combination that can only be pulled off by brewers who know what they're doing. It's wonderful, and I can't wait to try more from TG.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A - Very cloudy/murky brown color. Average sized, smooth, creamy, ecru colored head with tight bubbles. Pretty good retention leaving a thin lace.

S - A lot of toasted oak and vanilla. Fairly malty with a slightly spiced aroma. Hints of herbal and citrus hop aroma. Not overly strong with a good amount of the oak aroma coming out.

T - Like the nose suggested, there is a lot of toasted oak and vanilla. This and tobacco/herbal hops hit the tongue in the beginning. Leads to a spiced, earthy hop flavor with plenty of malty flavors (toffee, caramel and a slight breadiness). Finishes with a nice vanilla and oaky note. Only vague citrus notes mid sip.

M - Medium body with about average carbonation. Pretty smooth and slightly creamy.

D - Great balance with everything (oak, malt, hops) with a great body. Spiced but not overly strong. Easy to drink, despite it being quite complex. I could easily drink a number of these in a night.

Notes: On-tap at Sanctuary. Oak aged IPA This is a very interesting beer with a very intriguing malt body for an IPA. It's not overly hoppy, but it is very complex and deep. Great showing of oak but also the malt and hops. It all just works together and combines into a tasty, interesting beer. Near perfect implementation of barrel flavors. The intention of this was to provide an experience of drinking an ocean bound IPA in oak barrels with a bit more of a malt backbone. I enjoyed this change of pace from a strong, hop forward IPA.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last