Join our email list →

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Iowa, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 12.00% ABV

Beer added by: Pintofbrown on 12-17-2011

How do you like your coffee? Try our delicious coffee stout and you'll never want your low-fat vanilla cream latte again. This might not contain a wonderful design in the foam, but it certainly will satisfy your need for a late evening coffee pick-me-up.
4.66/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer on tap at the J Wakefield First Anniversary Party (Wakestock). The look is chocolate. Another reviewer said it looks like a Willy Wonka Chocolate River. They were right, but it's definitely more viscous. Smells nice and chocolatey but I was hoping for a little more aroma. Taste is sweet chocolate with smooth tasting coffee and a bit of maple. The maple is not the major player here but is definitely noticeable. The mouthfeel is top notch with a smooth, creamy, easy drinking well hidden abv experience. Overall a great stout. My only small criticism is that it's a little bit too sweet.

4.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks to @GarMerr for sharing this bottle on Super Bowl Sunday. Incredibly viscous - pour looks like Willy Wonka's chocolate river lusciously flowing from the bottle to glass. Aroma is incredible - like walking into your favorite cozy coffee shop that just had the most amazing maple syrup spilled all over the floor. Taste follows the aroma, and I found it to be best when taking small sips. Thankfully TG seems to bring a keg of this beer to numerous events throughout the year - can't wait to try it again!

4.38/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Definitely a top want in the stout game...and it was darn tasty. On draft at Rate Beer Best - thick syrup like, huge chocolate, coffee, plum and Roasty notes mixed with sweet sugar and some alcohol hotness. A bomb of a beer for sure...would do well with a few years of age.

4.7/5  rDev -1.1%

Wow, where to begin. First of all, the wax on this bottle is beautiful and it is a great start of what will follow.

The smell of this "beer" is like a rich breakfast. There is maple syrup, coffee, roast, pancakes, chocolate croissants. The taste is full on maple with coffee, vanilla, roasted malts, chocolate.

There is so much going on in this brew, incredible that all these flavours can get into a beer!

4.48/5  rDev -5.7%

Let me start off by saying, I am reviewing this a couple weeks after I had it, so I won't be as descriptive as I'd like to be.

I split this bottle with a few friends in what turned out to be a pretty amazing impromptu share with the likes of DBH, Pappy's, and many other highly acclaimed brews. While this was certainly one of the highlights going into the night, it didn't live up to the hype for me personally. Don't get me wrong, it is a great beer and definitely one you should try if you can get your hands on it but I wasn't blown away.

The motor-oil-esque color and strong coffee nose were the best features of the beer for me. Huge coffee (obviously) and a smooth, creamy mouthfeel was nice too. The taste was very good, but I expected more due to the hype. Funky Buddha Morning Wood is in the same realm, IMO and you don't have to give up nearly as much to obtain some.

Would I pick one up if I saw it available on the shelf? Duh, of course. But, would I trade away the farm for another bottle? No. Glad I had an opportunity to try it though.

What can I say...this is along with BAVDL and Triple Sunshine are my 3 favorite beers ever...there is no reason to not give this beer 5s across the board...thick motor oil pour with a dark brown head...smell and taste are like like espresso with maple syrup thrown in...just sweet enough..everything plays in perfectly...mouthfeel is a huge winner here as well...perfect syrupy body to it...my first maple coffee stout and unfortunately I don't see my experience with this format getting any better than this

4.78/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Save yourself the heartburn and get morning wood from funky Buddha. It's nearly as good.

For this beer- mouthfeel is exquisite like all TG stouts. Taste was more coffee dominant than I hoped for, maple was definitely playing second fiddle. Very good, absolutely not better than KBBS, and I'm shocked anyone thinks that.

As much as I respect opinions of others, I question anybody who doesn't give this beer a 5 across the board!

About a 5oz pour from a 22oz., 2015 Bottle.

Look: Pours a pitch black, with very little (espresso colored) head.

Smell: A coffee/maple syrup explosion. The most amazing smell ever to come out of a beer bottle. It lingers, + it's fantastic.

Taste: Tastes just like it smells.....maple syrup the whole way through, with that coffee roast finish.

Feel: A thick, syrupy feel, which laces every inch of your mouth with the taste.

Overall: Hands down, the most amazing beer I've ever had. Perfect in every single way.

4.83/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a dark black from the bottle. Nose is intense sweet maple syrup. It smells like breakfast with a little bit of coffee coming through at the end. The body is medium sweet maple syrup with a balanced coffee coming in and out. You could seriously put this on some pancakes or sausage links. Mouth feel was smooth and low carb making an excellent sipper. Hype justified and glad I was able to try some!

4.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mornin delight batch 2

Pours an oily, black color, with a medium, dark brown head to it, revealing huge bubbles within a spongy head. Coates the side of the glass after swirling with alcohol legs, small bubbles and an oily film, showcasing the thickness of the beer.

Smells of warming syrup, wrapped up by cold pressed coffee beans, together with scorched, earthy malts. Atop of that foundation settles a nutty and raisiny quality, both adding to the potent coffee appearance. Milk chocolate enriches the luscious, sweet maple syrup, with coffee cutting through in a flowery, slightly wooden fashion. The most beautiful thing about the aromas is their perfect balance in combination to its outstanding intensity.

Drinks outstandingly smooth, soft on the tongue with a lower carbonation to it, presenting the beers huge body perfectly. Even its profound coffee bitterness during the finish is not able to distract from its creamy softness, maintaining its fantastic thickness.

Tastes of oaken, multi layered espresso bean, pungent, while offering a pleasant, mellowing sweetness, which gets beautifully enhanced by the syrup. An early, dry coffee bitterness goes hand in hand with earthen, toasted malts and a brewed coffee sourness, almost completely wrapped up by the malts. Into this coffee sourness blends the rich maple syrup, creating an intriguing flavor depth, soothed by whipped cream. During the beers finish, its profound coffee earthiness returns to the palate, while bitter chocolate compliments it, together with perfumy, alcohol soaked praline.

While featuring chewy, sweeter qualities, the beer reveals an awesome balance, due to its mvp, the coffee. It is incredibly rich and exhibits both, sweeter and bitter qualities by itself, accentuated by syrup and malts. Its mouthfeel makes this truly great, maintaining a remarkable silkness on the tongue, while the beers rich, thick body is challenging the tastebuds throughout, in the most pleasant way, coating my tongue for minutes after each sip.

4.75/5  rDev 0%

L: Creamy, dark-brown with caramel head
S: Coffee and maple in your face
T: Rich, overly sweet (in a good way), COFFEEEEEE, and lingering maple
M: One of the thickest, vicous, creamy stouts I've ever had. Perfection in this category
O: Wonderful sweet coffee stout, recommend sharing since more than one glass would probably lead to diabeetUS. TG knows what they're doing.

4.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2015 vintage. This was a very impressive beer, but given the insanely high ratings I was maybe expecting something a little more. Great balance of maple and coffee.

4.83/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22oz bottle received from the very generous RyanJohnCrain. Thanks Ryan! Consumed over Thanksgiving. Aroma hit me from a few feet away and instantly made me think of chocolate chip pancakes. No clue why. I've never had them or seen them before...but that's what this beer smells like. Taste is delicious, and you get a nice balance of chocolate, maple and coffee. However, not as much maple as I would have thought, and it doesn't have quite the same degree of fudgey maple taste as Good Morning does. I had 2-week old GM a week later and thought it was a noticeable notch above this. However, unlike some people on here, I'm not trying to make a huge political point here by pointing out how this beer could've been better, so while not perfect, it still gets good scores. Anyone giving this beer below a 4 either has no appreciation for this style at all, or is simply trying to skew the ratings b/c they've concluded it's overhyped.

4.9/5  rDev +3.2%

2015 vintage. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a 2015 Mornin' Delight tulip glass. Acquired in a trade with PaulG, thank you very much. Opened in celebration of my marriage. Drank over the course of ~1.5 hours, allowed to warm over that time.

Pours a thick, oily, viscous, jet-black body right out of the bottle, producing a deep mocha colored rising head that reduces fairly slowly, sticking around for a while to leave light lacing and eventually a ring of mocha retention. Looks exactly like a stout should look.

The aromas are potent and present the second you open the bottle, but naturally get more pronounced as this stout warms up. They peak just below room temperature. Anyway, the maple syrup is astounding, incredibly sip-inviting and ever present without smelling artificial or forced. The sweet maple goodness mingles greatly with a fresh coffee bean aroma - think freshly ground maple coffee. In the background is a dark chocolate aroma, vanilla, and caramel.

As if the aromas weren't heavenly enough, the taste delivers a massive punch to the taste buds. A perfectly balanced medley of maple syrup, freshly ground coffee, cocoa, and dark chocolate are what I'd expect a chocolate covered maple coffee bean to taste like in liquid form. On the follow through is a sweet, rich chocolate-vanilla flavor reminiscent of chocolate cake, followed by a delectable charred, roasty, dark chocolate-cocoa bittersweet note that sticks on the tongue for a few minutes.

What sets this beer apart from others, and really pushes it to the next level, is the mouthfeel. Rarely have I tasted a beer as thick, rich, full bodied, and full of delectable flavors as Mornin' Delight. The carbonation is medium-light but definitely present.

What can I say? This beer has everything.. it looks awesome, smells like breakfast in a bottle, tastes heavenly, and feels like liquid fudge, therefore I give it a the same rating as my favorite beer of all time, Good Morning. I give it a 4.75 for taste because it may be literally a hair too sweet for my liking. It was the closest to perfect I think can be achieved in that category. Worth the hunt, try it fresh!

Sampled from bottle of 2015 batch. Somehow, this lived up to the considerable hype. Very drinkable at 12%. The various flavors are balanced perfectly, with maple syrup front and center. I think I like this better than KBBS.

Love, love, love this. Had it last night on tap at Reds ale house. Nice blend of coffee and Maple. Smells like a short attack of flap Jacks. Where are my eggs and two strips of bacon.

wow, thanks Paulie! never thought I would get to try this and it exceeded my expectations. shared a 22oz bottle with my buddy and it was just maple coffee stout delicipusness. really a revaluation and fully worth the cost of admission. one of the best beers I have ever had. I feel extremely fortunate to have had an 11oz pour of this

4.32/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle from the recent release split 7 ways
A: Dark and thick. Creamy, heavy dark brown head.It really looks amazing, like a fresh brewed coffee.
S: Smell is coffee forward with an awesome balance of maple syrup. Some vanilla helps balance the strong coffee also. Very powerful, balanced and intoxicating nose.
T: Taste is a little bit disappointing. Strong coffee, maple syrup and vanilla but quite unfocused. It gets better as it warms, with cocoa and maple being more prominent and giving more balance to the beer. This beer needs to mellow but I don't think it could get better over time as the strength of the coffee and maple syrup would necessarily fade.
M: Bold and strong. Too much actually. The good thing about it is alcohol can absolutely not be found. Still, this is very sweet and sticky.
O! I really wanted to love this beer but I'm a bit overwhelmed. This is a good brew but not actually not so special, at least not on par with its reputation. Coffee and Maple syrup are not as balanced, for instance, as they are in Maple Bacon Coffee Porter.

4.05/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Okay so before rating this beer I must say that this is by far amongst the top OVER RATED beers on here. The spot that it claims on the top 250 list is ridiculous. I don't think this is a bad beer at all, just why so high. This beer is my 1,620th beer I've ever had. Maybe the people rating haven't had enough to know what a good beer tastes like? or just fan boys pushing value higher and higher to claim ultimate whaley status.
Shared a 22oz bottle with 4 people and they all agreed
Look - Dark brown to black.
Smell - Okay this is the most phenomenal thing about this brew. Smell is coffee forward with an awesome balance of maple syrup. If it actually tasted like how it smelled it would be the best thing I've ever had.
Taste - Light coffee in comparison to what i anticipated and maple taste comes through decent. Doesn't get to the point of cloying. Big problem is that you can taste the Belgian sugar that they used to get the abv up and its a big turn off taste buds wise. Cheap way to get abv up but also bring a characteristic not very pleasing to your palate
Feel - Medium to thick mouth feel. A bit sticky on the glass
Overall - If you haven't had many whale status beers and you haven't had over 1k brews there is a good chance that your palate will think this is God like. I would say that if I would have had this too early in my craft life that I would be in the same boat as many of the reviews on here say. This is why ratings should only count by people who already know what good beer tastes like and have had enough experience to back it up. Ultimately this is a solid brew that I would never care to try again especially for the left and right nut that I would have to give up for it. If you want to try something with coffee not barrel aged like this that is mind blowing, then go get yourself some Treehouse Good Morning. FRESH Good Morning not passing more than 5 days age and you will see how this brew is completely inferior in every way except smell

4.42/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Maybe it was the hype, but I was underwhelmed. Good coffee presence but a bit light on the maple. Was hoping for a more decadent stout and was a bit thinner than I expected. Glad I got to try it but not worth the cost or effort to get again.

4.74/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The best beer Halloween to date!

L: The stout is a mix of dark brown head, black body and golden stain on the glass from the beautiful legs
S: Huge coffee and maple nose, like Ms. Buttersworth and Kahlua
T: So far, to date, the best integration of coffee and maple, so sweet and delicious, bitter after taste
M: Incredibly thick, dense, flavorful
O: Very happy with this beer, you want to say its barrel-aged but its not. If they could force carbonate Kahlua, this would be.

3.98/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This has way too much coffee and not enough maple for me. Good Morning has a lot more flavor. I was expecting a maple bomb and I was sort of disappointed.

4.84/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A: pours black with a brown head with a slight red hint to it. A beautiful beer. Thick.

S: big maple, roasty coffee, dark chocolate. All well integrated.

T: dark chocolate fudge, roasty coffee, finishes with big maple. Pancakes with syrup.

M: thick and syrupy, full body. Low to med carb, laces my mouth.

O: a delicious maple coffee stout. Dark and viscous with a thick body. Full of maple and coffee. A decadent pleasure.

4.28/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Not sure how I feel about this one. 2015 bottle. Tan head. Black color.

Aroma is better than the flavor. The maple syrup is sweet. Lots of caramel and vanilla. Coffee with roast.

Flavor is over roasted imo. Everything else is nice. Big coffee and maple syrup flavor. Caramel. Ends with a dry roasted flavor.

It was good but doesn't live up to the insane hype imp. Still enjoyable.

4.66/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2015 version in a 22oz bottle. Initially the nose/taste was more coffee forward but as it warmed up in the glass more maple syrup started to show in both the nose and the taste. I was expecting it to be thicker so I had to bump it down some. Excellent beer, but not exactly what I heard from so many people regarding the previous batch in terms of mouthfeel mostly.

Mornin' Delight from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company