Mornin' Delight - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: Pintofbrown on 12-17-2011

How do you like your coffee? Try our delicious coffee stout and you'll never want your low-fat vanilla cream latte again. This might not contain a wonderful design in the foam, but it certainly will satisfy your need for a late evening coffee pick-me-up.

Sampled from bottle of 2015 batch. Somehow, this lived up to the considerable hype. Very drinkable at 12%. The various flavors are balanced perfectly, with maple syrup front and center. I think I like this better than KBBS.

Love, love, love this. Had it last night on tap at Reds ale house. Nice blend of coffee and Maple. Smells like a short attack of flap Jacks. Where are my eggs and two strips of bacon.

wow, thanks Paulie! never thought I would get to try this and it exceeded my expectations. shared a 22oz bottle with my buddy and it was just maple coffee stout delicipusness. really a revaluation and fully worth the cost of admission. one of the best beers I have ever had. I feel extremely fortunate to have had an 11oz pour of this

4.32/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle from the recent release split 7 ways
A: Dark and thick. Creamy, heavy dark brown head.It really looks amazing, like a fresh brewed coffee.
S: Smell is coffee forward with an awesome balance of maple syrup. Some vanilla helps balance the strong coffee also. Very powerful, balanced and intoxicating nose.
T: Taste is a little bit disappointing. Strong coffee, maple syrup and vanilla but quite unfocused. It gets better as it warms, with cocoa and maple being more prominent and giving more balance to the beer. This beer needs to mellow but I don't think it could get better over time as the strength of the coffee and maple syrup would necessarily fade.
M: Bold and strong. Too much actually. The good thing about it is alcohol can absolutely not be found. Still, this is very sweet and sticky.
O! I really wanted to love this beer but I'm a bit overwhelmed. This is a good brew but not actually not so special, at least not on par with its reputation. Coffee and Maple syrup are not as balanced, for instance, as they are in Maple Bacon Coffee Porter.

4.04/5  rDev -14.9%

Okay so before rating this beer I must say that this is by far among the top OVER RATED beers on here. The spot that it claims on the top list is ridiculous. I don't think this is a bad beer at all just why so high. This beer is my 1,620th beer I've ever had. Maybe the people rating haven't had enough to know what a good beer tastes like? or just fan boys pushing value higher and higher to claim ultimate whaley status.
Shared a 22oz bottle with 4 people
Look - Dark brown to black.
Smell - Okay this is the most phenomenal thing about this brew. Smell is coffee forward with an awesome balance of maple syrup. If it actually tasted like how it smelled it would be the best thing I've ever had.
Taste - Light coffee in comparison to what i anticipated and maple taste is decent. Doesn't get to the point of cloying. Big problem is that you can taste the Belgian sugar that they used to get the abv up and its a big turn off taste buds wise. Cheap way to get abv up but also bring a characteristic not very pleasing to your palate
Feel - Medium to thick mouth feel. A bit sticky
Overall - If you haven't had many whale status beers and you haven't had over 1k brews there is a good chance that your palate will think this is God like. I would say that if I would have had this too early in my craft life that I would be in the same boat as many of the reviews on here say. This is why ratings should only count by people who already know what good beer tastes like and have had enough experience to back it up. Ultimately this is a solid brew that I would never care to try again especially for the left and right nut that I would have to give up for it. If you want to try something with coffee not barrel aged like this that is mind blowing, then go get yourself some Treehouse Good Morning. FRESH Good Morning not passing more than 5 days and you will see how this brew is completely inferior in every way except smell

4.42/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Maybe it was the hype, but I was underwhelmed. Good coffee presence but a bit light on the maple. Was hoping for a more decadent stout and was a bit thinner than I expected. Glad I got to try it but not worth the cost or effort to get again.

4.74/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The best beer Halloween to date!

L: The stout is a mix of dark brown head, black body and golden stain on the glass from the beautiful legs
S: Huge coffee and maple nose, like Ms. Buttersworth and Kahlua
T: So far, to date, the best integration of coffee and maple, so sweet and delicious, bitter after taste
M: Incredibly thick, dense, flavorful
O: Very happy with this beer, you want to say its barrel-aged but its not. If they could force carbonate Kahlua, this would be.

3.98/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This has way too much coffee and not enough maple for me. Good Morning has a lot more flavor. I was expecting a maple bomb and I was sort of disappointed.

4.84/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A: pours black with a brown head with a slight red hint to it. A beautiful beer. Thick.

S: big maple, roasty coffee, dark chocolate. All well integrated.

T: dark chocolate fudge, roasty coffee, finishes with big maple. Pancakes with syrup.

M: thick and syrupy, full body. Low to med carb, laces my mouth.

O: a delicious maple coffee stout. Dark and viscous with a thick body. Full of maple and coffee. A decadent pleasure.

4.28/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Not sure how I feel about this one. 2015 bottle. Tan head. Black color.

Aroma is better than the flavor. The maple syrup is sweet. Lots of caramel and vanilla. Coffee with roast.

Flavor is over roasted imo. Everything else is nice. Big coffee and maple syrup flavor. Caramel. Ends with a dry roasted flavor.

It was good but doesn't live up to the insane hype imp. Still enjoyable.

4.66/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2015 version in a 22oz bottle. Initially the nose/taste was more coffee forward but as it warmed up in the glass more maple syrup started to show in both the nose and the taste. I was expecting it to be thicker so I had to bump it down some. Excellent beer, but not exactly what I heard from so many people regarding the previous batch in terms of mouthfeel mostly.

4.67/5  rDev -1.7%

This was Exxon Valdez thick with a lovely waft -- maple syrup and chocolate. Superb mouthfeel and big for a non BA stout. Really nice variation between chocolate, maple and coffee. Coffee and cream flavor predominates. The only major flaw is a bitterness on the finish that appears left over from the coffee. Excellent, but not quite at the very top of my list for an Imperial Stout. A tad overhyped.

Call it homerism, but this beer is an absolute heavy hitter and worth every penny for the price of admission. You get a huge boom of maple and chocolate as soon as you crack the bottle open. It is hard to believe that this beer isn't barrel aged by how much flavor they seem to pack into the bottle. The pour is, of course, motor oil thick and it sticks to the glass like it never wants to slide back down. I think the only thing I can say against it is that it is such a big beer and you need to share it with your friends. If you don't have friends, find some strangers. This beer will put any soul brave to slay it down to his knees like Ahab on on the starboard side of his catatonic vessel. Approach with caution, thar whale be fierce in its might and ready to do the Wakey Wakey Eggs and Bakey tango with your tastebuds, bud.

4.89/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Absolute maple bomb. I haven't tried Good Morning yet, but so far, this has to be my favorite maple stout/porter (over the likes of CBS, Beyond Good & Evil, BB Black Maple, etc). Also the best smelling stout I've ever had... worthy of the hype, for sure.

4.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

An absolutely wonderful beer, but maybe not as good as the hype. Doesn't smell very good. Body and mouthfeel are perfect. Great roasty maple and coffee. Bigger and less sweet than Good Morning, but overall it's a toss up.

4.9/5  rDev +3.2%

Outstanding beer. Extremely thick and viscous. A huge amount of coffee, dark chocolate, and to a lesser extent; maple syrup. I've had KBBS and this isnt quite as good to me but still better than any other beer I've had. My only reason for docking it would be not enough maple flavor, which isnt much of a fault in my book.

UPDATE 10/26. Had a chance to try this again and during the day this time, side by side with Tree House Good Morning 8/20 batch. The pour was in fact so viscous in the light that rivals SR71. Mouthfeel this time was incredible, significantly thicker than GM and not as sweet as GM. It has become my favorite non-BA maple coffee beer of all-time. Upping my rating to 5/5.

Poured not as thick as I thought it would be, especially compared to SR71. Very little head, but that's mostly because the pours were small (3oz-ish). Smelled AMAZING! HUGE coffee and maple, perfectly played together. Taste followed, but didn't mesh as well as the small. Some sips were full of coffee, other was dominant with maple. Mouthfeel was velvety, thick, but not quite the incredible mouthfeel that KBBS delivered.

I've been really spoiled with TG stouts, having been able to try them all multiple times. I made a mistake of going in with major expectation, so in all fairness, the bar was set really high. I loved it, but it didn't blow me away.

L - Very dark brew. Lightish brown head with good carbination.
S - Can really smell the maple syrup. Has a slight coffee smell to it also. Not boozy at all.
T- Coffee/maple syrup/vanilla/touch of chocolate. Sweet in the front with a VERY smooth delivery all the way through. Simply amazing!
F - Ver thick!
O - I was lucky to get a bottle from the release and just got the oppurtunity to crack it. This is one of the best beers of my life. This definately lives up to the hype surrounding it! Wish I had more bottles!

4.69/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

For my tastes, superior to KBBS, SR71, and Assassin. Appearance is spot on; opaque, viscous, black with dark brown accents, an espresso like head of brown shot through with amber / mahogany tones. Ring of brown foam clings to the edges of the glass. Aroma is a blast of maple and coffee, a bitter roast note at the end. A bit one dimensional though; I like a bit more malt presence and the adjuncts obscure it. The flavor, though, brings back the roasty malts, chicory and charred oak impressions though not barrel aged, maple pecan / praline flavors. The one criticism I have is it's a pretty straight forward coffee profile. It simply says "coffee" and I feel like you could get more nuance from a more studied application. There's no risk involved in this coffee choice. Feel is close to perfect - chewy but not as coating as the BA versions that really overwhelm you.

I don't normally write reviews but WOW!

From the minute you open coffee and maple in your face.
Dark , thick ,and soooooo smooth. The coffee and maple battle for dominance but they are so well blended that you taste them both the whole way down. Maple does win it out at the end with a sweet after taste that coats your mouth.

Woke up and smelt the bottle this morning and the maple was still so strong. Never had anything like this. forget the hype train the is the real deal!

Drinking this beer brought a tear to my eye, I genuinely did not want to finish it. Amazing job now all we need is distro!!!

4.81/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Jet black. Deep tan head, light carbonation.

S: Tons of Maple and coffee.

T: Tons of coffee mixed with maple sweetness, bit of dark chocolate and a hint of vanilla.

F: Extremely thick body - a good hardy breakfast!

O - An amazing beer that you don't want to end.

Real deal, had to acquire another bottle to confirm. Mouthfeel is unreal, maple syrup and coffee everywhere but not excessively sweet. Sort of happy it is not barrel-aged...

3.95/5  rDev -16.8%

Bottle from the source. Consumed at room temperature.

Pretty nice beer here, kind of overpriced at $30, but it is what it is. Poured thick, dark brown-black in color, with a small chocolate head that receded to a thin ringlet, apparent lower carb. Light roasty coffee in the nose, notes of brown sugar and liqueur-like booze. Pretty good balance in the taste, smooth coffee, lighter notes of maple candy, some neutral booze...definitely a bit hot, there's no doubt this is 12%. Sweet, but not diabeetus sweet. Suffered in the mouthfeel, which was quite thin, even at room temp, and the higher booze and lower carbonation didn't really help.

Overall this was an average coffee stout. Good, no question, but not great. There are many many better beers out there in the same vein, but with the value this one gathers on the secondary and/or trade market, it's pretty obvious people are going to rate it up to justify the overpricing.

This isn't a beer. There's no way that this is a beer. Sorry, I don't believe it. This is so much more than a beer! This is an experience! This takes stouts/beer to a whole new level! This is out of this world!

Aroma: Maple covered pancakes

Taste: the same as the aroma with fresh pressed coffee.

Body: the thickest brew of all time! I can't believe this isn't BA!!!

OA: The best beer I've ever had! There isn't 1 thing that is wrong with this brew!!

Had on tap at the source during MD release.

L- Jet black with thin tan head, motor oil thick that laces the glass.

Smell- Good lord. I love coffee, but I would be absolutely addicted if I could make coffee smell like this. Dark roast coffee without any burnt or bitterness. Maple syrup and a little fudge brownie.

Taste- Follows the nose perfectly to me. Rich full bodied coffee without out any hint of bitterness throughout. Chocolate brownie comes across in the middle and the end is all delicious maple syrup. Very rich, but does so without being overly sweet.

Feel- Velvet smooth. Maybe even chewy?

Overall- This was exactly the beer I was hoping it would be. Having tried most other highly sought after coffee stouts, both barrel aged and non, MD is the king for me. Loved being able to try Good Morning the night before and while a great beer, it is just not on the same level as MD. The complexity and balance on this beer is truly amazing. Well done TG.

Mornin' Delight from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company