2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Assassin Imperial Stout - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Assassin Imperial StoutAssassin Imperial Stout

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.80% ABV

An Imperial Stout brewed with coffee, aged in rye whiskey barrels.

(Beer added by: Pintofbrown on 02-20-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 320 | Reviews: 33 | Show All Ratings:
madtowndmb1

Wisconsin

I must start by saying I haven't reviewed a beer in probably 3 years because it just wasn't worth it for a while, but this beer blew me away. It was flawless in what I love in stouts. Khaki head when poured, smells of sweet molasses, coffee, chocolate and dark roasted malts. Taste was right there with the smell! Thick and lingering. This beer is one of the few I put up with Berserker but this may be better. I passed on it when it hit the shelves here and now I regret it.

12-15-2013 16:08:31 | More by madtowndmb1
Rish907

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

This has to be be one of the best stouts ever!! Thick mouthfeel, rich whiskey flavor and extremely thick..

Raisins, dates, dark fruits perfectly blend with the whiskey barrel. Extremely smooth & melded together perfectly.

Absolutely superb!! Couldn't have been made better!!

12-14-2013 05:42:30 | More by Rish907
Ri0

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

poured about 6oz into a chalice.

A - Very thick dark brown almost black in color. Thin dark brown head, no retention or lacing.

S - Aromas of rich caramel, mellow bourbon, milk chocolate, marshmallow, and dark fruits. It smells perfect and I can't wait to take a sip.

T - So much sweet rich caramel, molasses, chocolate, mellow bourbon, marshmallow and dark fruit notes. It is so good and as good, if not better compared to BCBS. I am blown away.

M - The mouthfeel is rich, thick, and silky smooth. Just enough carbonation for the style.

O - I loved this beer and feel very grateful to try it. This is one to seek out!

02-16-2014 19:34:20 | More by Ri0
Pintofbrown

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

I was put out of my misery while drinking from a tulip glass. This was from the first barrel batch sealed with red wax, bottled January 2012.

Appearance- This imperial stout pours with no sound, so incredibly heavy and sticky. A slight width of dense, brown sugar foam dissipates to a ring and leaves behind no lace. The beer itself is darker than black.

Smell- Sweet and a little punch of heat from the whiskey barrel. I mean, brown sugar, figs, a little chocolate; they make the nose incredibly enticing.

What is great is how the booze envelops all of these qualities to remind you this is still an imperial stout ready to finish you off. It gives the nose a woody and leathery note.

Taste- What a monster of a stout: it begins sweet once again and then takes you on a roasty and boozy ride. Assassin brings on the dates and brown sugar. Right after, there is a bit of roasted coffee and smokey whiskey.

The finish has that distinct leather and smokey booze, with a touch of coffee roast, figs, and dark chocolate. The next sip cannot come fast enough.

Mouth feel- Toppling Goliath knows how to make a big stout punishing to the palate, and the feel is no exception. The thick and chewy feel is outstanding. It is almost a syrup, leaving the lips feeling sticky.

The sticky quality makes the smokey and sweet finish lasts until you take yet another sip of this slightly dry stout.

Overall- I am trying really hard to find much fault with this beer: I suppose the biggest "complaint" you can have is that coffee is almost non-existent, and had it not been mentioned as being brewed with coffee on the bottle I might not have noticed.

Othewise, the whiskey is just big enough to to be noticed, but not so big it the only thing on the palate. The flavors range from sweet, to smokey, to roasty. And the mouth feel is fantastic. I have no problem saying this is one of the best imperial stouts I have had.

Edit: I had the gold wax version in a glass mug. It was bottled in February 2012.

Appearance- Main difference is almost no foam produced, still incredibly black. Same score.

Smell- Not nearly as much heat or woodiness here, still present but very buried under the sweet notes. Same score.

Taste- The whiskey and woodiness is much more pronounced in the finish with some vanilla. The dark fruits are a lot more subdued in this one. Brown sugar is still big and the roast is almost non-existent. 4.5

Mouth feel- I am still super impressed by this feel. No change.

Overall- I would bump the overall score down to a 4.5 for the gold wax just because it tastes a little more boozy and less sweet and complex than in the red wax offering. Still a great imperial stout that I look forward to putting some age on. 4.5

02-20-2012 00:16:15 | More by Pintofbrown
homebrew311

4.83/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Yellow wax bottle poured into snifter. Pours a pitch black with heavy viscosity, minimal dark brown head. The aroma is ridiculously rich. Huge dark chocolate, bold roasted coffee, heavy oak and whiskey notes, highlight of vanilla throughout. Quite a bit more decadent than other BA coffee stouts, reminds me of bcbcs a bit. Taste starts with coffee and dark chocolate followed by heavy vanilla and richness throughout. A bit of heat towards the end. Mouthfeel is heavy, velvety, and smooth with low carbonation. Overall, fantastic beer. This is my first TG stout and I now know what the fuss is all about.

02-17-2014 07:10:13 | More by homebrew311
maximum12

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Great debt of gratitude to the always-generous mista, who picked me up a bottle after I declined an offer to go the release with him. Yes, I'm an idiot. 22 oz. bottle from 2013, drippy yellow wax, split with my wife. Given my encounters with Kentucky Brunch & Mornin' Delight, expectations are...well. If the beer doesn't kiss me, I'll be disappointed.

Peel away the nicely hardened wax & the beer emerges black, with a good dose of carbonation. Nose warms my cockles: too-thick brownie batter where some wag subbed in a 1/2 cup of whiskey for the Minnesota tap water listed in the recipe. Love. Ly.

Assassin coats the throat somewhere between 5W30 and 20W50. The thickness is remarkable, with a mouthfeel like a heavier version of BCS. Richer than anything liquid has any right to be. Favors the barrel with strong whiskey notes up front, backed by more brownie batter, tons of vanilla, heavy-sweet malts, with roast looking a little lost in the crowd. Crazy drinkable, just because it's so damn good.

Not only a kiss; I got tongue. Anybody who trades away a bottle of this stuff needs to have their head examined, because it's one of the best. Absolutely amazing beer...& the third-best TG stout I've had. That's borderline unbelieveable.

09-10-2013 02:19:50 | More by maximum12
Jrhorner77

4.73/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let me begin by saying the review below is for the red dipped bottle. I've had both red and gold and this is for the red, which in my view is an amazing beer.

A. Opaque, Dark, looks like an Imperial Stout should look

S. Smells sweet, alcohol notes, a little chocolate and warms the nostrils.

T. Bourbon definitely come through. It's sweet but alcohol really balances this out. I get chocolate and roasty malt tones. Sipping this slow and taking your time with the beer in your mouth really brings out the complexity of the beer brought on by the templeton rye barrels with a bit of that warm boozy flavor at the end.

M. Medium to heavy mouthfeel, just as I think it should be.

O. I am a fanatic about stouts. I try every stout that I think warrants a tasting and I hold this beer in high regard. It's on par with some of the better stouts I've had out there. I'll look forward to more stout offerings from TG...a great little Iowa brewery.

07-06-2012 19:55:43 | More by Jrhorner77
BarrytheBear

4.73/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle generously shared by Josh...yellow wax

I have to admit that I went into this wanting to keep the hype and expectations of a TG stout out of the equation. Having had Mornin' Delight, and finding it extremely unique and interesting, but a beer that wasn't the world beater many claim...I was mildly pessimistic.

That said, Assassin is a very impressive beer. Thick, sweet, rich, and chewy with a boatload of melted butterscotch interwoven with the decadent dark chocolate base, Assassin drinks like a meal. The bourbon interplay is seamless and delicious, with gentle notes of coconut. Mouthfeel is massive yet lush and the beer stains and coats the glass with reckless abandon.

This beer was drank back to back with Bourbon Vanilla Dark Lord and in this know-nothing's opinion, Assassin is the superior beer. Just a really enjoyable drinking experience in a very crowded field.

12-15-2013 05:33:06 | More by BarrytheBear
tvv375ia

Iowa

4.7/5  rDev +2.8%

I saved this one for review #200, I even slowed down one some reviews so I could do the review fo rmy birthday, but I missed ou because I had to work and didnt get the time to review. So here it goes, this is for the gold dipped bottle

Poured from 22oz botlle bottled in Feb 2012 into imperial pint glass.

A-very dark brown with no light getting through and less than a finger of coffee colored head that fades rather quickly to a small ring.

S-sweet molasses type smell with some dark fruit and a little carmel vanilla with a bit of the rye whiskey that seems to have mellowed nicely after almost a year in the bottle

T-molasses and dark fruit come through again, and what seemed a little hot the first time I tried it no has a nice mellow rye on the finish and no hint of the almost 13% alcohol

M-an almost thick and chewy feel to it just like an imperial should be

O-excellent beer that seems to only get better with a little age on it too bad I didn't get more of this, I hope I can get my hands on more. If this was brewed anywhere other than Decorah Iowa there would be a lot of hype for this one.

12-30-2012 15:15:09 | More by tvv375ia
HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.69/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle opened on 8.19.13
2013 Yellow Wax

A - Pours a dark brown with a thick foamy mocha brown head with great retention.

S - Milk chocolate, a hint of booze, very warm and welcoming.

T - Sweet milk chocolate, whiskey, a hint of vanilla and barrel. Amazing!

D - Good carbonation with a heavy body.

O - A wonderful mix of sweet, boozy chocolate with wood and vanilla hints mixed in. Worthy of the hype.

09-07-2013 03:57:42 | More by HuskyinPDX
zeledonia

4.65/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage, yellow wax. Thanks to Cyclone8 for the bottle. Tasted 24 April 2013, reviewed from notes.

Pours deep deep brown, almost black, but clearly brown at the edges. One finger of dark-tan to medium-brown head, cocoa-colored. Good retention, decent lacing.

Smell is really well integrated, with relatively sweet chocolate-heavy malts overlain by a smooth, rich, dark fruit whiskey-barrel pop. Some roasty notes to the malts, but mostly they're molasses-sweet. The barrel-aging on top makes it bright and full.

Taste is fantastic. Heavy on the chocolate, quite rich, and fairly sweet. The barrel is a bit in the background, but present enough and smooth enough that I just want to keep drinking it. Reminds me of Bell's Black Note in how well the base beer and the whiskey characteristics harmonize.

Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and heavy, but with a little bit of marshmallowy carbonation. Even with the carb, it's still thick, but the bubbles add needed texture and volume to it.

A really top-notch barrel-aged imperial stout. There's a certain character, a grainy sweet pop, that some bourbon-barrel-aged beers have, that I've mostly encountered in -bal barleywines like Arctic Devil and MoAS. This beer has that like no other stout I've encountered. I put it in the top tier of barrel-aged stouts I've had, just a tiny step below the very best.

06-28-2013 18:31:40 | More by zeledonia
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

4.61/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Toppling Goliath Assassin Imperial Stout

Vintage 2013 (Yellow Wax)

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22 oz bottle.

Pours a thick and oily dark liquid. There is a nice 1 inch tan head that forms with a vigorous pour. The retention is amazing. The head sticks around for a while and is quite dense and frothy like some nice espresso foam. (4.75)

Aroma starts off with some amazing chocolaty fudge notes drizzled with some bourbon caramel notes. Amazing brew. There is some nice molasses and some slight vanilla notes in there as well. There are some slight dark fruit notes of raisin and prunes mixed in with the coca fudge. Definitely some nice Bourbon notes in there with sweetness but no heat. Very very fudgy. Yum. (4.5)

Wow!! Sooo intense. It is a bit overwhelming of the bat but in a good way. Strong and rich, sweet chocolate notes start things off mixed in with some molasses and whiskey. The middle is also ripe with nice dark ripened fruit. There are some slight raisins and prunes present. There is some mild heat but not really intense or detracting. There is some roast in the middle of the brew past the sweetness that really adds a nice dimension to a brew that is pretty intense. After some warming the slight roast malt notes can be perceived a bit sooner in the palette as well as some nice grainy oat-type notes but it’s very much dominated by the sweet aspects of the brew. The mouthfeel is great, very nice, rich and oily. (4.5)(5.0)

Overall TG is getting some nice props. Well deserved I will say. This brew is sweet and chocolaty with nice whiskey notes but none of the heat. There is a nice underlain roast but it only serves to frame the in-your-face molasses and chocolate fudge notes. (4.75)

05-19-2013 03:28:40 | More by JoEBoBpr
ehammond1

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle (2013)

Thanks for opening this with me, VaTechHopHead!

Nearly black, though very heavy and substantial looking in the glass. Shiny and oily, with a small brown head that leaves dots of stick.

Monstrous, rich, and lovely aroma of chocolate, bourbon character (without the heat or sting), a bit of vanilla, some raisin, and cake batter. Excellent, and, unsurprisingly, better and better as it warmed.

The flavor is similar to the aroma. Massive amounts of dark chocolate character, bourbon (wood, vanilla, dark fruit) without the accompanying alcohol harshness. This is smooth as silk and the flavors blend together marvelously. This is lacking a big roasted malt note, but it sweet, complex, and incredibly flavorful.

Full in body. Thick. Chewy. Substantial. Monstrous stuff.

Simply fantastic. I was definitely blown away by this beauty.

05-12-2013 15:46:02 | More by ehammond1
SadMachine

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes from 11/8/13 (international stout day)
2013 vintage (yellow wax)

A- Pours thick and used motor oil black, with a thin mocha head, leaving decent lacing.

S- Smells of dark roasted malt, dark fruits, black licorice, coffee, and a fair dose of booze. A lot of figs coming through here.

T- The flavor is incredibly complex. A lot of sweet caramel, molasses, plums, figs, and licorice. Also some mil chocolate and sugar cane. This borders on cloying, but somehow stays quite drinkable!

M- The mouthfeel is super thick, and silky smooth. Just enough carbonation to keep it feeling beer-like.

O- This is a great beer, but a little on the sweet side for my liking. I tend to prefer roastier, more coffee forward stouts. Still a world-class imperial stout!

11-10-2013 18:52:26 | More by SadMachine
Stevedore

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber with yellow wax from the 2013 release, generously shared by lunarbrew with our tasting group today, 6.18.2013. We drank this after the Hunahpu which we opened up first.

Aroma: Sweet straight up whiskey combined with tons and tons of sweet milk chocolate, a good bit of bitter dark chocolate and coffee accompanied by a little bit of marshmallow sweetness. It smells very sweet and boozy. (4.5)

Colour: Nothing special for a big barrel-aged stout- very very dark brown, almost opaque and black, illuminating dark cola brown. The head comes out as a sexy 1cm mocha head that sticks around for a good while until it slowly dissipates into nothingness, leaving a placid abyss. When it was poured into my glass, it looked super thick coming out of the bottle, thicker than anything I've seen- including Ten Fidy. (4.5)

Flavour: Wow! This beer definitely packs tons and tons of sweet whiskey and chocolate. I swear I'm having chocolate fondue, if you could somehow put your beer on a fondue fork and dip it in chocolate. It's incredible how the subtle vanilla sweetness, ostensibly from the barrel, combines with the chocolate sweetness. It's like marshmallows dipped in chocolate fondue. Normally, this would be bad news for any beer, but no, it was also balanced out with a good bit of espresso bitterness. There is a little bit of dark fruits, but not a whole lot, and there is a small woody oak presence. But this beer is ruled by the chocolate and vanilla oak. A perfect dessert beer. (4.5)

Mouthfeel: This is definitely full bodied, viscous and chewy. Incredible, one of the thickest beers I've ever had. Well-carbonated and I cannot detect much booze at all in this beer. When it goes down, it goes down silky smooth without any heat. It was like liquid brownies.. doesn't get a whole lot better than this. (5)

Overall: This is probably a top 5 barrel-aged imperial stout (without additions like coffee or cherry or whatever) for me. It is up there with BCBS- in fact, the best way I would put it is that this beer is what Goose Island would make if they made a Bourbon County Brand Chocolate Double Cream Stout. So thick, viscous and explosively sweet with complex flavours that complement each other really well. It's worth trying at least once, don't kill yourself getting this beer- its just beer- but be happy if you get the chance to try it! (4.5)

06-18-2013 05:03:17 | More by Stevedore
Scotchboy

Idaho

4.54/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Yellow-waxed 2013 version, sent to me from laymansbeerfan (mucho thanks buddy!). Poured into my New Belgium Globe.

A: Pours like thick brownie batter/used motor oil/insert imperial stout appearance cliche here. Thick dark head cascades up with carbonation and then recedes to a thin ring, coating the whole glass with a solid brown film. Pretty awesome.

S: Epic nose, full of plenty of whiskey barrel notes and some alcohol fumes; big-time brown sugar and bourbon, vanilla, dark chocolate brownie, some molasses and marshmallow. Bourbon and burnt sugars really dominate.

T: Really similar to the aroma, thick brownie batter with dark chocolate, burnt caramel, vanilla extract and oak whiskey barrel. The burn is still moderate after several months in the bottle, but it adds a lot to the palate of this one and cuts the dark sweetness a bit. Brown sugar and molasses really dominate.

MF: Viscous and sticky and THICK; well done. Feels semi-sugary, with lower carbonation. Alcohol cuts the body just a touch.

O: I'm only knocking a few points off because it was still a touch hot to my liking, which I know is normal for a big stout like this - I just think it could have been a touch better with a bit more age. It seemed to me like this brew has a ton in common with BCBS; thick and viscous, dominant bourbon barrel character, burnt caramel and brown sugar. Pretty awesome stuff, and understandably sought-after; I am officially ISO EVERYTHING from Toppling Goliath!

Thanks again!

10-03-2013 18:32:28 | More by Scotchboy
4DAloveofSTOUT

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

poured into tulip glass.

vintage 2013; bomber with yellow wax.

Appearance: black bodied beer with 1 finger of medium brown head. Head quickly drops to a thin ring around the glass. A gentle swirl brings back about the original amount of head, maybe even a little more.

Smell: The nose is a little bit whiskey forward, but for the most part its well balanced with the stout. Chocolate, roasty and sweet malts, oak barrel, hint of black licorice and maybe some dark fruit notes.

Taste: Moderately sweet stout that not overly roasty balanced nicely with barrel notes. Fudge and Chocolate, whiskey, oak, coconut, molasses, light roast, hint of dark fruits and leather. Great complexity! The beer seems to meld together nicely in the finish. This beer really opens up nicely as it warms up.

Mouthfeel: high end of a medium bodied beer with moderate cabonation. This beer has very nice carbonation levels that keeps the big flavors of this beer from becoming too overwhelming. The beer feels silky and a little oily too. This beer isnt boozey at anytime. Really smooth drinking barrel aged imperial stout.

Overall: This beer reminds me of the first time I had Bourbon County Brand Stout back in 2008. This beer is clicking on all cylinders! Its got a lot of complex flavors, smell great, well balanced in both nose and taste and it has a fantastic mouthfeel. This is my second Toppling Goliath stout that I have drank and this small brewery in Decorah, Iowa knows how to brew world class beers!

05-19-2013 04:35:58 | More by 4DAloveofSTOUT
mjpolzin

4.49/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Finally found an occasion to crack open this treat from Toppling Goliath which is fast becoming one of my favorite breweries.

Very little carbonation but sticks to the sides of the glass as you swirl it around. Not as thick as BCBS but certainly not thin. The smell is mostly whiskey and also a lot of sweetness.

The taste is very whiskey-forward with a lot of sweetness following behind that. A very good beer but definitely something that needs to be sipped otherwise the sweetness might get to be too much. It reminded me a lot of Dark Lord but I thought the flavors here were better integrated and smoother than in DL. As it warmed, I could taste the black liquorice that I like so much in a good Imperial Stout. Also, the warmer it got, the more the taste and smell reminded me of World Wide Stout.

So over the course of this review, I mentioned 3 other world-class stouts that I compare to Assassin. This bodes well for this beer in becoming one of the better high end stouts available. Its just too bad that it isn't a little more readily available but that also makes it more of a treat when you get your hands on some.

11-03-2013 19:09:38 | More by mjpolzin
StonedTrippin

Colorado

4.49/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

assassin is one unique stout. i didn't now know it was ages in rye barrels when i had it, but it makes perfect sense seeing it here, there is a distinct rye coarseness to the middle of this that i just couldn't place at the time. now i get it. yellow wax version poured into 8 oz globe, shared with drlovemd87 and claystation. jet black and viscous on the pour, not a ton of head, but some liveliness to it upon close inspection. shiny and inky, rich and dense, looks the part. huge nose of oak barrels, booze, bitter coffee, vanilla sugar, brown sugar, and a colossal malt bill that must have some heavy roast in it. the flavor is as layers as any stout I've had, from darkness to abyss, to bourbon county and its variants, i think there is more going on here, and in a more refined way than any of those beers, save maybe abyss, but the barrel treatment and the coffee push this over the edge. vanilla and sweetness give way to burnt wood and smoke, smoldering still, challenging. there is some sugar on the back end too before the alcohol comes in, but its flavorful sweet, and it adds a richness to this, especially in feel, that is unrivaled. complex spice middle shows both rye and coffee, and the bitterness of the barley is tempered by strong vanilla again on the finish. there are a lot of stouts out there right now trying to outdo each other, trying to be bigger, more flavorful, more dynamic, but this one has to take the cake. such a soft feel in such a big beer, gets a little hot with temperature. a bottle to share for sure, but one worth seeking out and acquiring, it has renewed my interest in stout whales, absolutely world class.

02-05-2014 19:58:45 | More by StonedTrippin
feloniousmonk

4.48/5  rDev -2%

Dark as the sin as well as the sinners, ninja-black, thin brown head.

Aroma screams out from the glass, spilling out deep, dark aromas, rich whiskey tones…and it's only sitting on the table, I have yet to bring it up to the nose, here we go…man, this has got it all! Thick, sick, overblown amounts of dark rum, maple, molasses, anise, notes of vanilla and cherry, and overpowering, thundering whiskey (forgot what kind, and I haven't peeked at the label yet.). Every kind of amazing whiskey barrel imperial stout flavor is seeping out of this.

Taste: Damn, this is delicious! Starts with big floods of dark fruit and vanilla, coated in thick, slick whiskey tones. Sweet-ish-like, but never too much so. Huge, vast, voluminous flavors, full-body, persistent finish. Stays sweet-like, basking in deep, dark fruit flavors, you raisins, your dates, your plums and prunes, coated in the whiskey,…it's fantastic! Mmmm…love it.

Now, I want to read the label: "After endless hours of scorching in heat, brewing in turmoil, fermenting in angst, the Assassin's journey has just begun. In the shadow of the temple, he lies in wait, maturing his plot to perfection. He emerges merciless, dominated by darkness, his bite laced with the charred remnants of his victims. No man dares to cross his path. They will forever sleep with one eye open, in fear of the Assassin's hot kiss of death."

I make a lot of hay with the gobbledygook, but this is one of the good ones. I enjoyed that. It tells the story of the beer, cloaked in this mystic fiction, without going overboard.

I definitely wish I had more bottles, to age them and see what happens in maturation, but I also want to feel what this is like young. You can't appreciate one without the other. Maybe someday I'll taste an aged bottle of this, but for now I know it's damned awesome.

12-03-2013 01:49:50 | More by feloniousmonk
gueuzedreg

Colorado

4.44/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2013 Yellow wax. First TG stout of the trio, pumped.

A: Thicker than the rest. Calmer than you are. This beer has the look of Zhukov.

S: Whiskey soaked chocolate molasses graham cracker

T: This beer is in the few "You have to try this once" category. It can't be explained how pronounced the layers of this beer are. It reminds me a lot of Uncle Jacob's Stout. Chocolate>whiskey>graham cracker. It is a thick tasting RIS.

M: Again, reference Zhukov on consistency, maybe a little less thick. Alan Thicke, rich, smooth. Like his son Benjarvis Green Thicke

O: I am very glad to have tried this. Tastes like Chocolate graham cracker whiskey soaked RIS. Loved it. Although, next time I want this experience, I will crack an Avery Uncle Jacob's Stouts. Twerkin' time

11-09-2013 23:45:44 | More by gueuzedreg
Alieniloquium

4.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Yellow wax, 2013.

Appearance - Inky black. Stains the glass. Small mocha head with surface wisps.

Smell - Woo, big rye whiskey aroma. Lightly fruity. Coffee with a bit of its accompanying acidity. Dark chocolate.

Taste - Whiskey is secondary to the dark chocolate. It spices it up though. Coffee then vanilla. Oak. Lots of sweetness. Rye whiskey sustained throughout.

Mouthfeel - Very thick. Medium carbonation. A little boozy but that isn't a problem.

Overall - Excellent. The beer is great despite that I don't love rye barrels.

07-01-2013 23:40:05 | More by Alieniloquium
Duff27

4.26/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Short dark brown head recedes and then is awakened with each swirl. Collar throughout.

Smell gives way to a deep roast and brownies.

Subtle sweetness Appears late in each sip. Smooth ~bal notes, hint of vanilla. What ABV is this? Feels around 10-11%.

Suuuuper smooth mouthfeel. Low medium carbonation, fits.

Have to agree with 4DAloveofSTOUT with the BCBS comparison, although less biting barrel notes. "A/A-" BA stout here, thanks Brian!

06-02-2013 00:24:10 | More by Duff27
Treebs

4.26/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to beerbob26 for the share. 22 oz. yellow waxed bottle served in a Firestone Walker mini-snifter. 2013 vintage.

A: Pours a dark black color with a dark brown head forming on the pour. It recedes to a thin ring that leaves some splotchy lace down the glass.

S: Bourbon up front with some dark fruit and sweet vanilla. Chocolate with some caramel notes and some light oak. Roasted malts give it a touch of dryness.

T: The bourbon barrel is up front. Bourbon with some oak, vanilla sweetness and a little burnt sugar. Baker's chocolate with some oak and a honey like sweetness on the finish.

M: Medium to heavy bodied with a slick and oily mouthfeel. Medium to low carbonation with a bourbon sweet finish.

O: A really nice BA stout. Not in the upper echelon, but I'd gladly have this again. Pretty tasty and balanced overall.

09-06-2013 02:00:45 | More by Treebs
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

4.23/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Huge thank you to Steasy66 for spoiling me as usual with this rarity. 2013 yellow wax spontaneously picked from the cellar and shared at the end of our tasting last weekend.

Appearance. Pours thick and black with a thin layer of light brown head.

Smell. Sweet molasses, smooth whiskey, wood, and chocolate syrup.

Taste. Chocolate and burnt sugar, light smooth whiskey and fresh wood, and some dark berries. Sweet, maybe a little too sweet for me but it's a minor complaint.

Mouthfeel. Full body, fairly sticky, low carbonation.

Overall. Sweet with big flavours but still smooth and tasty. Thanks again Ryan!

10-28-2013 23:45:08 | More by Rutager