Kentucky Brunch Brand Stout - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: siradmiralnelson on 02-26-2012

This beer is the real McCoy. Barrel aged and crammed with coffee, none other will stand in it’s way. Sought out for being delicious, it is notoriously difficult to track down. If you can find one, shoot to kill, because it is definitely wanted... dead or alive.
to view more.
Ratings: 407 | Reviews: 63
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.8/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A huge thanks to Mike for this one. 12oz. bottle shared with jbuddle and POTABLE83. #155/300 into Torst stemware. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a .25 finger dense, dark chocolate head with moderate retention. Beer is rich, thick and pitch black. Lacing is spotty and sparse with little cling. Probably the biggest, oiliest legs I've ever seen on a beer. Ever part of this screams imperial.

Nose is a hot fudge Sunday with a side of pancakes and bourbon maple syrup. Very aromatic. Outstanding.

Notes of maple syrup, chocolate, fudge, and molasses. Very chewy with loads of pancake and waffle and the slightest hint of bourbon that serves to complement the cornucopia of breakfast flavors perfectly. Now THIS is a breakfast stout if I've ever come across one. Finishes sweet and syrupy with a sticky, molasses and chocolate aftertaste. Phenomenal!

Full bodied with low carbonation. Slick and oily in the mouth and goes down smooth and viscous. Messy finish with a lingering aftertaste. Real drinkable for 13% but definitely a sipper.

This is easily one of the best and most unique imperial stouts I've ever had the opportunity to try. I'm not sure where Toppling Goliath came from but between this and Morning Delight, they have the market cornered on breakfast style imperial stout. Kentucky Brunch is simply amazing and I could drink this over and over and over again.

3.5/5  rDev -27.5%

I liked it, but just dump 6 oz of maple syrup into a halfway decent ba stout and you'll get the same beer. And probably diabetes.

4.92/5  rDev +1.9%

Was very happy to see the three bottle stout set arrive at my door, courtesy of cparles. Cheers! We drank Morning Delight, Assassin and KBBS, in that order.

From a bottle into a snifter
Vintage: 2013
Silver wax
Bottle X of 300
Whisky barrel aged with coffee

APPEARANCE: Same as Morning Delight. Pours out black and thick, yielding a smell, medium looking, creamy, dark mocha colored head with great retention. Jet black body with no carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a swirly wisp and bubbly ring. A faint wisp and ring remain leaving some falling dots of lacing down the glass. Thick black body and a great head, and just a touch more lacing would give it a perfect score.

SMELL: Basically like Morning Delight with some whisky barrel aging. Maple, caramel, butterscotch, coffee, milk chocolate and vanilla cream, with some whisky and oak pulling it all together. Really decadent. Bold and infinitely complex, with lots of aromas all over the place. Morning Delight was already a perfect score, so too bad this one doesn't go to 11.

TASTE: Outstanding. Lots of maple syrup, caramel, whisky and oak up front, with more sweet butterscotch, maple and barrel flavors at the swallow. Definitely maple and coffee with a big, lingering finish of bitter coffee and dark chocolate, coconut, sweet vanilla, whisky and oak coating the palate. Very flavorful, complex and absolutely delicious. Wonderful sweet flavors with just enough bitterness and whisky barrel to provide the perfect balancing touch. Just great.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. A touch lighter than Morning Delight, but still full enough for the style. Very creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly sticky. A bit of heat lingers as well. Good feel.

OVERALL: Though it doesn't claim to be, this could very well be barrel aged Morning Delight. Absolutely fantastic. This has everything I loved about MD and added a touch of whisky barrel aging on top of it. One of the rare, rare occasions when a beer of this magnitude surpasses its billing. This is the best barrel aged imperial stout out there at this point, and I can't imagine being able to surpass this either. Would love to drink some of the second batch that is apparently waiting patiently at the brewery. Thanks again cparles. World class.

It angers me to write this. I really wanted this beer to be super overrated and to just be a product of Midwest people pumping up their instawalez. It's not. This is the best beer I've ever had. Smell, taste, lacing, everything is perfect. It smells like maple syrup with a hint of bourbon. It tastes like smooth maple syrup with a hint of bourbon. I never thought something non HF would become my favorite BA stout, but it has. Nice job Toppling Goliath. Please make this again. Soon.

Best adjunct stout I've ever had. I wish I could rate this higher than five. I'm smelling the bottle three days later here on 12/30/14, and it still smells like fresh pancakes. Ridiculous.

4.68/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Glad to have got the chance to try this. World-class? Yes. Was it better than Proprietor's, DBH, Masterpiece, Chez, various De Garde BUs, that we had at the same tasting? ... no.

Poor coffee stout with sweet maple and subpar whiskey. Sad. I didn't cough up an arm or leg for the bottle either. Maybe if I had lost a limb my rating would be higher. Meh.

4.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into a snifter shared by Cory from Side Project. Got lucky and went back to talk to him about beer for a bit and this VB Assassin and Fuzzy were open.

A - Appearance is just like MD, dark as night with minimal dark mocha foam head that recedes back into the glass. Extremely thick as it pours into the glass. Minimal lacing (small pour)

S - Smell is pretty much like Mornin' Delight in the maple syrup, chocolate, vanilla, coffee. Then the bourbon oak vanilla smell comes through from the barrel. The barrel smell does not at all overpower the base beer.

T - Taste follows the nose with huge notes of maple syrup chocolate coffee goodness. Vanilla notes with oak and bourbon are on the finish. Definitely one of my favorite tasting stouts of all time. This was after BA Abraxas and Vanilla Bean Assassin. I think this was my favorite of the 3.

M - So chewy and delicious. Coats the mouth and stays there

O - From a small pour I was able to tell so much. After having MD i could tell that this was the BA version of that. It is one of the best barrel aged stouts ever brewed.

2014 Gold Wax KBBS poured and split amongst friends

This is pretty similar to 2013 in terms of mouthfeel and barrel character. It doesn't quite have the maple finish that 2013 did but the coffee is definitely better in this years. Decadent smooth creamy mouthfeel, TG nails their mouthfeel in all of their big stouts.

I have to say that this is still my favorite BA Stout that I have had, slightly ahead of DBH, BA Abraxas, BA Coffee Abraxas, PvW Black Magick, BA Lumber. This outshines them all. I wish it wasn't so damn hard to get, but seek this one out in confidence.

4.97/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter. This is the 2014 gold wax version.

Appearance: Pours black with a finger of coffee/tan head that slowly fades to nothing. (4.5)

Smell: Burnt coffee, maple syrup, toffee, vanilla, dark chocolate, a hint of roasted malts. (5)

Taste: Toffee, toasted malts, coffee, maple syrup and pancakes, vanilla, rich fudgy milk chocolate. (5)

Mouth-feel: Full bodied with a low to medium carbonation. Thick and creamy. (5)

Overall: This is simply a fantastic stout. The coffee, maple, vanilla and chocolate flavors meld together wonderfully for a tremendous BA stout - the best I've had. (5)

Picked up a 2014 bottle in the Brewery on the day of the release. Gold wax covers the cap down to the bottom of the neck of the bottle.
Poured into a snifter.

A: Thick, viscous, motor oil appearance. Little to no head, what was there dissipated and just remained at the edge of the glass.

S: This was hands down the best beer I've ever smelled. Bourbon, maple, coffee, Carmel, sweet smells. If there was an air freshener of this I would buy them all....every last one.

Taste: Just as good as the smell. Bourbon, coffee, maple syrup, chocolate, vanilla, hint of toffee. All of the tastes I just mentioned seem to be equally dispersed in the beer no real dominate taste, a perfect mix. There was a slight warm alcohol presence when I first sipped but as it warmed it completely disappeared.

M: Thick, rich, filling. Coats your mouth hole and sticks to it. Absolutely wonderful. One bottle is like a meal, but you just want to go back for seconds, thirds, and fourths.

Overall: Think of KBS on steroids with the addition of maple syrup and you have KBBS. Does it meet the hype? In my mind yes. Absolutely wonderful beer that I cannot find flaws with. I was discerning during drinking and tried to find issue with it. I take that back, there was an air bubble between the label and the bottle, I squeezed it out...flawless.

4.25/5  rDev -12%

review of 2014 Gold wax KBBS. First I would like to say that I have had a good 4 ounce pour of 2013 kbbs on two separate occasions and this 2014 was shared with my friend with 6oz pours each.

A: 4.25/5 pours an almost solid black with quarter inch mocha head from a semi vigorous pour. head fades to nothing within a few seconds.

S: 4.5/5 maple forward with a strong coffee presence followed by slight alcohol and fudge. not nearly as sweet smelling as last year and lacking that beautiful maple syrup and chocolate bomb of last years batch.

T: 4/5 at first there is nice sweet maple but then the huge coffee astringency hits you and bitter coffee dominates the palate. The barrel and maple are there but are overshadowed by the coffee. though the huge coffee profile may subside over time, It seems that the bitter astringency will never fade as its a bitterness oily issue.

M: 4/5 not nearly as creamy and silky as last years or even lesser beers like Assassin. The finish from the coffee is almost slightly dry and the maple and barrels don't shine as they should.

O: 4.25/5 Overall this is a good beer that unfortunately happens to not be the beer that it was in 2013. 2013 was a life changing experience and almost didn't disappoint in anyways. I enjoyed drinking 2014 but was turned off by the unbalanced coffee presence and bitter astringency.

2014 Version was fantastic. Favorite Beer to date

4.87/5  rDev +0.8%

On tap at Toppling Goliath on release day. Served in a Duvel style tulip.

Pour: pitch black with two fingers of deep brown head. Leaves light lacing, and the head dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: woah. Lots of sticky maple, coffee, and a light bourbon. Some toffee and vanilla. A really nice roasty char, but no smokiness. Decadent and inviting. As it warms, it smells identical to Mornin Delight.

Taste: lots of butterscotch, coffee, and smooth roast. Some vanilla bourbon, and a touch of maple. The barrel definitely took the distinct maple syrup quality of Mornin Delight and gave it a toffee like quality. Finishes creamy with bourbon, coffee, and toffee.

Mouthfeel: really very drinkable. Lighter carb than Mornin Delight, but just the right amount. Very creamy, especially as it warms. Very little bourbon heat. Finishes creamy, lightly sweet, and lingers for a long time.

Overall: amazing. I enjoyed this better than Mornin Delight because of its superb balance of flavors. Easily the best barrel aged stout I've had yet. Awesome.

4.91/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle 230/300 poured into snifter after having 15 minutes on the counter to warm from the fridge.

A- Pours a viscous pitch black with a dark brown/mocha head about 1/4 inch high with insane retention for a stout. Detectable carbonation bubbles, but on the low side, as appropriate for style. Over two minutes, the head fades to a mocha ring around the edges of the glass.

S- Mother of god- this smells like Vermont maple syrup aged in a bourbon barrel, dipped in chocolate, and wrapped with the tears of angels. Honestly though, the syrup sweetness with the wood notes really dominate, although the bourbon notes are just hanging out behind them.

T- Maybe I am just riding the hype train, but this tastes absolutely amazing. A huge sweet maple sugar (think the little maple butter candies you can buy up in Vermont) followed by a super mellow bourbon barrel character mixed in with chocolate, caramel, and a balancing roast and bitter note.

M- Thick. A bit more carbonation than I expected for this, but it works well with the beer. This is an oil slick of a beer, as it should be for the style. This is definitely a sipper, but I could (and will) drink a full 12 ounces in one sitting happily.

O- This is by far the best tasting and smelling beer I have ever experienced. Insanely good, better than BAVDL and BCBS rare in my opinion. I am actually a bit upset I decided to open this bottle, because I don't know if I will ever get it again. I guess I will be at the release if they release it in the future!

4.05/5  rDev -16.1%

Pour is jet black with a tight mocha head. Nose is strong coffee, clean and roasted, notes of maple and vanilla with a well balanced bourbon and wood. Taste is a little sweeter, very big with lots of roasted coffee, well integrated bourbon and vanilla with some slightly charred wood, malt berry sweetness in the finish. Roast lingers, full bodied, creamy and moderate carbonation. Well balanced, lots of coffee with a fair bit of bourbon and malt sweetness, can get a hint sweet.

So ok, on the real, I gave up a ton for a couple of these bottles. And leading up to having it w some legendary DFW BA's I thought I wouldn't like it. I mean c'mon man, there's no way it could live up to the hype.man I've never been so beechwood aged wrong in my life.

My boy Adam was being swooped away by a double unicorn led chariot. What do I mean? It was amazing. Truly a trancendent stout. It was flat out the greatest stout ever made in America. And wel I haven't tried everyone, but I've tried everyone enough from the list.

The smell, taste, aftertaste, feel, and dat maple dho, just perfection incarnated. Wasn't hot for fairly fresh either, can't wait to try the next couple little bit down the line.

4.88/5  rDev +1%

Bottle # 110 of 300. This bottle has been tempting me ever since it showed up on my doorstep. Thanks isn't enough to maximum12 for sending me a bottle completely unexpectedly.

A - Pours thick and black with about a quarter inch tan head, which dissipates fairly quickly, leaving a thin ring.

S - Reading some of the reviews on here, I was expecting to get a wave of coffee as soon as I popped the cap, which I really didn't get. But as it warms, the aromas really begin to shine. Maple and bourbon are dominant, while the coffee hangs out in the background. There's just enough heat in the nose to let you know this one is a sipper.

T - This is where it's at. Honestly, this tastes like a plate of bourbon and maple syrup soaked chocolate chip pancakes followed by a sip of really good coffee. I have no other way to accurately describe it. It's fantastic and unlike anything I've ever tasted before. I have no idea how they got so much maple syrup flavor into one bottle. But at the same time, it's nowhere near cloying in any way. The coffee plays second fiddle to the maple, chocolate, and bourbon, but there's enough there to tie it all together.

M - Carbonation is spot on. This is thick and silky. It feels like velvet on the tongue.

O - At 12%, I'm trying to take this one slow but it's disappearing way too fast from my glass. I was really curious to see if this would live up to it's lofty expectations. Not only did it live up to them but it surpassed them. I hate to gush but this is just really fucking good. I'll be sad when my glass is empty.

4.89/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz bottle, 2014 date with gold wax, poured into a Toppling Goliath teku. Enjoyed on 12.13.14, shared with my dad, review is from Tasting Journal.

The beer pours a jet black color, motor oil consistency, very thick and viscous out of the bottle with a lovely finger or so of mocha colored head, thick, taut and firm that has superb retention yielding a few spots of lace but with great dark staining legs. The aroma is fantastic, loads of smooth chocolate, coffee is assertive, but at the same time mild, lightly roasted with a nice fruit character that helps accentuate the stone fruits that come out in the nose, charred oak and whiskey with a bit of toffee sweetness linger well and just a splat of maple that helps curb any heat from the barrel and the bitterness from the coffee. The barrel character is what leaps out to me on the tongue, very smooth, nice mix of charred oak, lightly chewy and soft bourbon, a bit of toffee, a bit of molasses, even a touch of spice while smooth and decadent chocolate, lightly bittersweet, rolls over and brings forward stone fruits with lightly roasted and fruity coffee. The balance is supreme and the finish has just a breath of warmth to it from the barrel. The mouthfeel is perfection, thick, rich, creamy, viscous, silky, smooth, coating, any adjective you like for a stout, this has it, carbonation is perfect, enough life while being totally forgotten yet it also doesn't feel too sticky or clumpy, and the finish is incredibly fluid.

Verdict: A lot of hubbub and noise about this beer and it's all deserved. The balance and complexity is tremendous, everything in true harmony, no one characteristic is truly defining and each aspect of the beer is artfully mastered.

4.84/5  rDev +0.2%

KBBS '14 (gold wax/label). Big thanks to @newbeeraday for sharing this bad boy!

A: Thick black pour reluctantly leaves the bottle and delivers a quickly receding mocha head. After a few moments, only wispy small bubbles remain, clinging the rim. Very oily legs effortlessly paint the glass.

S: Coffee, roasted malt, sweet maple. Burnt sugar. Some type of spice--maybe cumin? Tobacco, rye whiskey.

T: Sweet maple up front, roasty coffee in the middle and a lingering sweetened French vanilla coffee tail with a rye/bourbon boozy burn. Ms. Butterwoth's pillow after the Kentucky derby. Surprised at the nice retention of bourbon after many months since the release. [side note: tried this with VBDL '14 and by contrast KBBS tasted bitter and darker].

M: Fluffy pillow of velvet. Thick, rich, nicely carbed. Burn down the throat. Pretty much perfect for the style.

O: Well, it's a great beer. No doubt about that.

4.82/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into HF stemmed glass, split three ways. Huge, huge thanks to Josh (thebigredone) for sending this to me!

A- Pours a decently viscous dark slightly brown black, fairly opaque jet black in the glass with some light purplish brown along the edges, very thin mocha brown head forms that has decent retention and fades at a moderate pace to a flat top, leaves thin lacing that fades back into the glass.

S- Aromas of rich maple syrup, integrated bourbon, dark creamy chocolate, a bit of oak on the backend. Very sweet smelling, but very pleasant and retaining a nice balance. Definitely above average aroma strength.

T- Dark creamy chocolate, sweet/sugary maple syrup, balanced and integrated bourbon, faint hints of oak. Finishes with a strong, rich maple syrup presence with balanced bourbon, oak, coffee, and creamy chocolate. Easily one of the best finishes I've experienced from a beer.

M- Thick, viscous, creamy, very drinkable, incredibly smooth especially at a surprising 13%, only a faint presence of alcohol, fairly low carbonation but appropriate for style.

O- This beer definitely blew me away and is 100% worth the hype, possibly one of my favorite beers to date. There were a ton of strong, rich tastes coming out but it still retained a very nice balance and drinkability. I wish this was made on a regular basis and wasn't so rare so I could drink it all the time. I definitely recommend seeking this out especially if you like big, rich, balanced stouts.

4.75/5  rDev -1.7%

Not as thick as I thought it would be, but this 2014 gold wax bottle has a great amount of maple syrup. Great balance all around! Glad I got to try this one, been waiting for awhile :)

Look- Sweet Dark nectar that is begging to be placed into your mouth.

Smell- Exactly what Jesus's breakfast smells like every morning.

Taste- I reached my tongue to the bottom of the bottle on this one.

Feel- Pure bliss on your tongue. When it hits your stomach you are on cloud 69.

Overall- I absolutely LOVE this beer. But what people want and give up for it is RETARDED! No 12oz/22oz/750mL beer should ever be worth so much.

4.53/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter. No bottle number.

Appearance - Inky black. Stains the glass again. Bigger and darker head than Mornin' Delight and Assassin. Great surface wisps.

Smell - Bourbon. Maple. Vanilla. Dark chocolate. Everything you'd want in a stout. The bourbon does take over, though.

Taste - Bourbon is sharp. Coffee comes out here. Dark chocolate. Maple comes out in the back. Sweetness lingers. Bourbon flavor lingers also.

Mouthfeel - Very thick. Boozy. Sweet with medium carbonation.

Overall - Tough to argue which is better, but bourbon always wins.

Poured into a snifter glass, a dark chocolaty color. Can smell the aroma 2-3 feet away from the glass. A blend of whiskey, coffee, dark chocolate, and lots of that good ole molasses sweetness.

Taste is unbelievable. I will have to say, this is probably one of my top 5 favorite beers I've tried, only falling shortly behind Morning Delight. What a pleasure to drink, with a thick creamy chocolate milk taste, with a sweet taste on the back end, and a little bit of fruit on the back end it seems. So incredibly smooth, would never guess this is 12% abv. Wish I could try this ago, but most likely we will never meet again kbbs...

4.94/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from 12 oz into a bourbon county snifter

A- pitch black with virtually no head. What little head there is disappears into nothing very quickly.

S- deep rich notes of roast, huge boozy bourbon followed by rich coffee. There is a subtle maple scent that follows the coffee in the back.

T- oh my god. Heat from the bourbon sits up front and hits your palate like spartans against the persians. Then a shot of espresso covers your mouth and melds deliciouslu with the bourbon and the sweet vanilla, oak barrel. Lastly, after the swallow there's a strong maple presence that sits in your mouth for a long time and it develops and lasts for a long time and you don't want it to go away. Strong chocolate and vanilla notes also seep in during the mix. There is only one beer that beats this on taste.

M- thick, creamy, velvety. The way a stout should feel. No carbonation. Completely coats your mouth and throat all the way down.

O- one of the best stouts i've every had. The flavors blend perfectly and each flavor is detectable. It's amazingly delicious. I wish i had an infinite amount of this.

to view more.