Sosus - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

Beer added by: nickapalooza86 on 05-05-2013

In his most notable mosaic work, Sosus of Pergamon depicts doves sunning atop a golden chalice. The image was said to be so enticing that real birds flew into it while trying to reach their stone companions. This single-hop showcase is inspired by the beauty of divinity of the Sosus mosaics. Just as the doves discovered their golden nectar, discover the irresistible nature of the Mosaic hop.

100+ IBU
Reviews: 101 | Hads: 1,003
Reviews by AltBock:
4.13/5  rDev -8%

22oz bomber bottle with an awesome label that resembles a stained glass window. This stained glass depicts a frosty pint of beer with the name of the beer and the style of beer in the glass of beer. Above the pint is the Topping Goliath medical cross symbol. Flanking both sides of the stained glass is the Govt. Warning and a paragraph that describes the beer. A brewed date or a bottled date would have been extremely nice.

When poured into a J. Wakefield Snifter, this Midwestern Double IPA was a nice and lightly hazy pale kumquat orange with some faded straw yellow mixed into it. This DIPA was clear of all hop particles. It was just naturally hazy. On top of this pale and faded colored beer was a decent 1/4 of an inch pearl white head of foam. This mediocre sized head of foam had decent retention that left behind a solid white string of rings and a sticky streak of lace here and there.

There was a strong scent of hops in the aroma, but I wouldn't say that the aroma was a complete hop bomb. There was strong almost candy like sweetness that dumbed down the hop aroma a bit. It was a strong citrus hop aroma with a dash of piney hops. Intermingled with the hops was some grapefruit, lemon zest, and a drop of orange. I caught a whiff of bready malts trying to emerge from the background, but that sweetness came in and covered it up.

Now this is more like it! The taste is what I thought the aroma should have been. The hops kicked out the sweetness and they were now allowed to wreak havoc on my tastebuds. The citrus hops were strong, but not offensively strong. Following the hops was a little grapefruit, lemon zest, orange peel, and pine. It was nice of the hops and the citrus fruits to let the bready malts through and stay there for a little bit.

This was a medium to full bodied DIPA with a good amount of carbonation and a full flavored hoppy aftertaste. The aftertaste was chock full of citrus hops, grapefruit, lemon zest, and pine. The hops lingered on for some time in the back of my throat.

Big Thanks to fellow BA mnbuffalo for hooking me up with this small Topping Goliath treat. The color was nice, too sweet in the aroma, but where it mattered most, the taste, this beer delivered. Would I drink it again? I'm good. One bottle is fine.

3.58/5  rDev -20.3%

Did not live up to hype. I love mosaic and this didn't give me much of it. Generally a disappointment...and was high on my "wants" list.

Appearance: A gorgeous straw bail color with a finger of white head and nice lacing.
Smell: An instant reminder of my favorite beer of the year by Indeed Brewing: LET IT RIDE. A mosaic hop beer where they use four pounds per barrel. It's the perfect balance between citrus, a slight tropical sweetness, and a clean finish with some classic midwest dankness. Juicy, but not as much as King Sue, which really makes it even more amazing. One of my favorite DIPA'S alongside let it ride, scream, king sue, sucks.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely one of the best double IPAs I've ever had. I've never had Heady but I have to imagine this can compete.

A - perfect hazy orange
S - tropical bright kind of mango pineappleish
T - follows the nose. Very smooth.
M - perfect - DNase enough but still so drinkable
O- close to a 5 - everything I want from a double IPA. I believe this beer features the Mosaic hop which, to me is very similar in profile to the Citra. It does a great job showcasing it. I dream of making beer like this.

Sweet Tangerine juice. Really well balanced. No notes of booze. Huge citrus juice nose. Almost like Five Alive. Orange hazy body.

4.71/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass. A nice orange color almost looks like a glass of orange juice. The head was a bit thin but had a nice white color to it., lacing was beautiful and plentiful.

Once I opened the bottle I was hit with a citrus / tropical fruit scent that stayed with me the entire time I drank the beer.

This is one tasty beer, I am not sure how I would describe it but I must say this is seriously the Nectar of the Gods!!! Could really taste the citrus and a was very smooth, it almost had a juice taste rather than a beer taste. Filled my mouth with a beautiful hop flavor and my throat felt it was lined with a sweet candy once I was done with the beer.

DIPA is my favorite styles and I have to say SOSUS blew my mind away. I have had all the greats SOS, Heady, Pliny, Julius etc and to me Sosus is hands down my favorite. I am really thankful to have gotten to try this beer.

3.79/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

4.71/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just picked up this newest bottling at TG on 29 Aug 15 while there for the MD release. New blue label and in my opinion a much better beer than the last version. Absolutely delicious!!

4.49/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another great beer from TG. The Mosaic hops deliver a great juicy flavor, almost a touch of spice. Great citrus aroma. I think I like this more than Pseudo Sue. I can't wait until they brew this again.

3.5/5  rDev -22%

4.64/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.31/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sosus from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company