Sosus - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

SosusSosus

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

Beer added by: nickapalooza86 on 05-05-2013

In his most notable mosaic work, Sosus of Pergamon depicts doves sunning atop a golden chalice. The image was said to be so enticing that real birds flew into it while trying to reach their stone companions. This single-hop showcase is inspired by the beauty of divinity of the Sosus mosaics. Just as the doves discovered their golden nectar, discover the irresistible nature of the Mosaic hop.

100+ IBU
Reviews by Andrew61923:
4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22 oz bottle from the fridge into my Duvel tulip. Though I have packed up all of my plates, dishes, and cups for my upcoming move, I still have eight tulips in my cupboards to choose from. Priorities.

A: Pours a really nice golden orange color with a finger's worth of white head that fades gradually to a soapy halo along the sides of the glass with even fewer remnants as a film. With the higher ABV, the lack of head retention isn't a surprise.

S: Hit with mango and pineapple right up front. A hint of weed mixed in there that asserts itself even more after I picked up on it. The more I smell it, the more dank it seems.

T: A lot of those tropical fruits I was picking up in the nose are making their presence known on the palate. A ton of the same mango and pineapple juiciness. Wow.

M: For a beer with this ABV, this drinks like a much lighter brew. The carbonation is spot-on and there is no drying effect like the one I get from other more bitter IPAs. Very well done.

O: Though I have only had three Toppling Goliath beers, it isn't a stretch of the imagination to think that these guys could be the next big thing. Having been spoiled with both San Diego and Vermont beers based on my connections to both coasts, this could be a great substitute for the guys in the middle. (1,302 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -19.9%

Did not live up to hype. I love mosaic and this didn't give me much of it. Generally a disappointment...and was high on my "wants" list. (136 characters)

Appearance: A gorgeous straw bail color with a finger of white head and nice lacing.
Smell: An instant reminder of my favorite beer of the year by Indeed Brewing: LET IT RIDE. A mosaic hop beer where they use four pounds per barrel. It's the perfect balance between citrus, a slight tropical sweetness, and a clean finish with some classic midwest dankness. Juicy, but not as much as King Sue, which really makes it even more amazing. One of my favorite DIPA'S alongside let it ride, scream, king sue, sucks. (508 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely one of the best double IPAs I've ever had. I've never had Heady but I have to imagine this can compete.

A - perfect hazy orange
S - tropical bright kind of mango pineappleish
T - follows the nose. Very smooth.
M - perfect - DNase enough but still so drinkable
O- close to a 5 - everything I want from a double IPA. I believe this beer features the Mosaic hop which, to me is very similar in profile to the Citra. It does a great job showcasing it. I dream of making beer like this. (504 characters)

Sweet Tangerine juice. Really well balanced. No notes of booze. Huge citrus juice nose. Almost like Five Alive. Orange hazy body. (132 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another great beer from TG. The Mosaic hops deliver a great juicy flavor, almost a touch of spice. Great citrus aroma. I think I like this more than Pseudo Sue. I can't wait until they brew this again. (205 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -21.7%

4.31/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.34/5  rDev -2.9%