Sosus - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

SosusSosus

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

Beer added by: nickapalooza86 on 05-05-2013

In his most notable mosaic work, Sosus of Pergamon depicts doves sunning atop a golden chalice. The image was said to be so enticing that real birds flew into it while trying to reach their stone companions. This single-hop showcase is inspired by the beauty of divinity of the Sosus mosaics. Just as the doves discovered their golden nectar, discover the irresistible nature of the Mosaic hop.

100+ IBU
Ratings: 874 | Reviews: 83
Reviews by Pete27lax:
3.58/5  rDev -20.6%

Did not live up to hype. I love mosaic and this didn't give me much of it. Generally a disappointment...and was high on my "wants" list.

Appearance: A gorgeous straw bail color with a finger of white head and nice lacing.
Smell: An instant reminder of my favorite beer of the year by Indeed Brewing: LET IT RIDE. A mosaic hop beer where they use four pounds per barrel. It's the perfect balance between citrus, a slight tropical sweetness, and a clean finish with some classic midwest dankness. Juicy, but not as much as King Sue, which really makes it even more amazing. One of my favorite DIPA'S alongside let it ride, scream, king sue, sucks.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely one of the best double IPAs I've ever had. I've never had Heady but I have to imagine this can compete.

A - perfect hazy orange
S - tropical bright kind of mango pineappleish
T - follows the nose. Very smooth.
M - perfect - DNase enough but still so drinkable
O- close to a 5 - everything I want from a double IPA. I believe this beer features the Mosaic hop which, to me is very similar in profile to the Citra. It does a great job showcasing it. I dream of making beer like this.

Sweet Tangerine juice. Really well balanced. No notes of booze. Huge citrus juice nose. Almost like Five Alive. Orange hazy body.

4.49/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I think I like this more than Pseudo Sue. Anotjer great beer from TG.

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2013)

Thanks for opening this with me, VaTechHopHead!

Clear, bright, vibrant dark orange. Moderately-sized white head of large bubbles. Ribbons and irregular lines of lacing down the glass. Very pretty IPA.

Incredible aroma, and my favorite aspect of this beer. If I didn't know any better, I would suggest this was definitely brewed with Nelson hops, and perhaps some Citra. Apparently, this is a Mosaic-hopped DIPA, and I am a fan. Grapefruit, sweet cracker, juicy citrus, and a bit of dank. An incredibly, hop-forward, succulent, juicy, hop experience.

The flavor is similar to the aroma with lots of accompanying bitterness as well. The juicy and bitter citrus notes combine very nicely with the bold bitterness. Some sweet Animal Cracker cookie sweetness complements as well.

Medium to near-full bodied for the style with moderate carbonation. Crisp and clean flavors.

This one goes down easy. This is a delicious IPA that rivals the best San Diego puts out.

This beer rocks! It's cloudy orange to yellow body is full of hoppy details & packed with citrus! There's a great sweet note from the malts & it's feels so good in your mouth you almost want to chug it! This is a perfect beer in my opinion & you need to get your hands on it if you can. Delicious!

4.18/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A huge thanks to Jeff for this one. 750ml bottle into a Blue Point snifter.

Pours a 2 finger fluffy white head with great retention. Lacing is stringy and spotty with excellent stick. Beer is a clear, bright goldenrod. Really nice looking beer.

Nose is outstandingly aromatic. Hints of citrus, papaya, starfruit and a dank, juicy hop bitterness that's really in your face. A bit of sweet and soapiness help to round things out.

Opens citrus, pineapple and starfruit. Tropical fruit hop bitterness in the middle with a touch of cane sugar to balance things out. Finishes more citrus, dank hop bitterness and just a hint of sweetness at the end. Great balance and flavor.

Light to medium bodied with moderate to low carbonation. Smooth and quenching in the mouth and goes down silky and lightly aggressive at the back end. Finishes dry with a sticky, lingering aftertaste. Spot on and very drinkable.

While certainly top notch, this beer isn't as good as the other ratings suggest. Great balance, flavor and feel but there's a certain brightness that's missing to put it over the top. Still, definitely worth having though.

4.23/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear orange. Small white head. Wispy surface.

Smell - Grapefruit. Some bright citrus. A little musty. Very nice.

Taste - Much more grain, but it's still great. More citrusy. Less musty. Slight sweet malts.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Moderate bitterness.

Overall - Great hop flavor. Excellent body. High quality IPA.

I hate to go with the perfect 5 but this one deserves it... Amazingly hoppy and fruity, melon, citrus, super "dank" if-you-will. Reminds me so much of Maine Beer Co. "Dinner". Light copper color, fruit bouquet aroma, what i want beer to taste like, bubbly and crisp, perfect. not much more to say...

Sosus is my 2nd Favorite (non stout) offering from TG...second only to King Sue. Sosus is an outstanding TG beer with awesome smooth hops character!

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Huge thank you to Steasy66 for this treat.

Appearance. Pours yellow gold with a very light haze. Topped with 1.5 fingers of white head that leaves some thick lace behind.

Smell. Big grapefruit and lemon rind, tropical fruits and some grainy light malts, a touch of cedar and honey.

Taste. Again, big grapefruit and other citrus fruit, some papaya, some woody pine and light grainy malts (a little on the sweet side). Good bitterness in the finish but not overbearing.

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body, below medium carbonation.

Overall. Very nice stuff. Will satisfy your hop cravings.

4.6/5  rDev +2%

A: deep golden ale with rich foamy head a few fingers high

S: lots of rich citrus and pith, floral and bright; subtler aromas of clean, fresh malt

T: exciting hop action is sharp and crisp and fresh, melding the darker pine into the palette of citric elements; slightly sweet pale malt chew beneath

M: medium weight with ample carbonation, quick bittering and relatively clean-finishing; tight and crisp

O: an outstanding DIPA sure to please fans of that sort; a brightly shining example of a superior DIPA.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a Goose Island tulip. The beer pours out a pale orange-gold color, slightly hazy, with a really tight 3 fingers of white head that sticks around like grim death. Really great nose on this beer! Lost of sweet and tart tropical fruit notes like pineapples, ripe peaches, lemons, sour apple jolly ranchers, and oranges.

Medium-light body and intense hoppy, citrus-fruit flavor. Slight bready sweetness up front with a hint of pineapple and orange marmalade, and then lots of fruity, lemony bitterness crashes in. The beer provides a sweet backbone that balances out the attack nicely (impressive since the ABV is not what one usually considers typical of a IIPA), but never ever makes the taste medicinal. In the back of the palate, I get a dank, hemp-like undertaste that joins forces with the sweetness as they battle the hops, but we all know who wins. The finish is fruity sweet, bitter, and very, very appetizing, with lingering flavors of lemon and pineapple. This beer goes down way too easy and way too fast!

Crazy good IIPA! It strikes me as a cross between Hop Slam (for the sweetness) and GL Alchemy Hour (for the citrus fruit, body, and the dank flavor on the back of the palate). I'm smitten.

4.96/5  rDev +10%

A - Pours a light peach/orange color into my Duvel tulip. A nice white finger of head disappears quickly and leaves behind some lacing.

S - The scent is lovely citrus and passion fruit, peaches, pineapples and mangoes. The Mosaic hop has an incredible fruitiness to it. More so than Citra IMO.

T - Absolutely fantastic fruits in the taste is more of the same citrus and passion fruit, peaches, pineapples and mangoes. A bit of slight grapefruit and pine bitter, malt in the finish.

M - Zippy carbonation with oily hop residue left on the tongue.

This is my third offering from TG and it is just as good as the others were. Very happy to have this sent up to WI to try. I bought 2 bottles, wish I would have grabbed 2 more.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

It doesn't get better than this. Zero booziness, and absolutely heavenly to drink. If IPAs/DIPAs are your thing, you haven't had one until you've had this. Nearly perfect.

4.81/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz. bottle kindly provided by Mista, thanks Geoffrey!

I'm tired and it's late so I'll try to keep this simple. The color is perfect. Dark orange straw in color, whatever. The smell is delicious, really wonderful. Tropical citrus with ripe, melon smelling hoppy funk! Really inviting.

T- This is what it's all about. Unbelievably delicious. Citrusy grapefruit but very clean. This is the second time I have been able too try this beer and I thought the first time may have been an abnormally good bottle the first time. This second beer confirms it, it's fantastic!

My favorite IPA is Alpine Nelson, I know this is a Double, but this is now my second favorite IPA being made, thanks Toppling Goliath!

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Oh man, I forgot how good this is. Poured this freshly bottled gem (. 8/21/14) was lead to believe this was said to be bottled on 8/20, pretty sure that is a fact.

Smellslike a hoppy grapefruit rind, not overly sweet.

Nicely carbonated, nice white lacing, big juicy, fruiy, grapefruit bowl of hoppy goodness with some malty backbone.

Bitter hop bite on the end, the whole tasting experience makes you want to do it again to pick out more qualities, and again, and taste it again, thanks Mike, this is great, thanks Clark, for TG.

They just keep pushing the limits of my taste buds, and I love it.

4.74/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great Beer! Poured into into snifter glass. Glass present a white head which dissipated quickly.
Smelled pine, citrus, and maybe honey wine. I can't say I know what honey wine smells like but I get both the notes of honey and notes wine that seem to come together! Wow!

I taste some citrus but what I really notice is the biscuity taste. The beer is hardly bitter, primarily sweet. It like a honey biscuit. Its hoppy for sure! I expected it to be bitter, but this one really caught me off guard. Not sure what the ABV is but there is some subtle heat as the beer warms up.

Seriously...if you see this beer, pick it up. Probably one of the best double IPA's I tasted. It's very unique in it's own way (considering the number of Double IPA's I have tasted). I know I don't have a lot of word to say, but I will say this...I wished I picked up more than one bottle.

4.39/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

About a week after bottling, into my TG tulip.

Clear light golden pour with carbonation as expected.

S: Hops. Some earthy dankness. Leans to the piney side, tropical fruits too. Nice pungency

T: Piney dank earthy hops, tropical fruits, and not much else. Alcohol shows up on the aftertaste, unfortunately, but it doesn't ruin the fun. It just taints it a bit.

M: Pretty clean. I wanted more resin to muck things up.

O: This is really good, but just short of great.
I think I'd choose Zeelander or a good batch of Sue if I'm drinking TG.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Stevedore for helping me get a bottle of this limited bottle of TG hops! Thanks again Steve!

poured into the proper glass! A Toppling Goliath belgian style tulip/snifter glass.

Bottled on Wednesday 10/2/2013.

Appearance: glowing and bright straw yellow beer with 1 full finger of head. Head has a decent amount of staying power, but eventually drops down to a thin cap. Thick lacing remains on the side of the glass.

Smell: Sweet oranges, tropical fruits, and honeydew melon. Little bit of dankness too. Bready and biscuity malts.

Taste: Huge hop flavors that impart a mild bitterness. This is an orange and pineapple bomb which actually tastes sweet and juicy! Melons, orange and lemon zest, mangos, melon rind, and a general light fruity presence. Biscuity malts all the way with a touch of sweetness similar to honey. The beer has a mild bitterness in the finish with a hint of pine resin and dank hop.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with low end of moderate carbonation. This beer has a very creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is near perfection and the beer drinks well below its 8% abv. Super drinkable DIPA.

Overall: This beer reminds me alot of Lawson's Double Sunshine which is my favorite DIPA as well as my highest reviewed DIPA. The big difference between Sosus and Double Sunshine is that TG makes thier hoppy beers to taste and feel so very juicy. I cant think of any other hoppy beers besides Sosus and PseudoSue that have such a juicy quality to them. Double sunshine is a little more on the dry side, but both beers equally awesome. Between PsuedoSue and Sosus; Toppling Goliath has truely given me a greater appreciation for hops. I dont know what Topping Goliath does when they brew thier hoppy beers, but the result is absolutely magical every single time. I honestly prefer a Sosus or Double Sunshine over a bottle of Kern River Citra DIPA. Yep, I just said it... It about time that the Midwest has hoppy beer that rival or are better than(in my opinion)both east and west coast as far as hoppy beers are concerned!

3.65/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Possibly my bottle isn't as fresh as the person I got it from believed it was. I was expecting a bit more from this one.

Kinda resembles Schlafly's T-IPA (mosaic) but not sure if it holds up beside it.

the malt is very subtle and the mosaic hops aren't as brilliant as I know they can be. The fade is musty bitterness.

Excited to maybe try this one again someday. Slightly hard to get a hold of in the first place.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22 oz bottle from the fridge into my Duvel tulip. Though I have packed up all of my plates, dishes, and cups for my upcoming move, I still have eight tulips in my cupboards to choose from. Priorities.

A: Pours a really nice golden orange color with a finger's worth of white head that fades gradually to a soapy halo along the sides of the glass with even fewer remnants as a film. With the higher ABV, the lack of head retention isn't a surprise.

S: Hit with mango and pineapple right up front. A hint of weed mixed in there that asserts itself even more after I picked up on it. The more I smell it, the more dank it seems.

T: A lot of those tropical fruits I was picking up in the nose are making their presence known on the palate. A ton of the same mango and pineapple juiciness. Wow.

M: For a beer with this ABV, this drinks like a much lighter brew. The carbonation is spot-on and there is no drying effect like the one I get from other more bitter IPAs. Very well done.

O: Though I have only had three Toppling Goliath beers, it isn't a stretch of the imagination to think that these guys could be the next big thing. Having been spoiled with both San Diego and Vermont beers based on my connections to both coasts, this could be a great substitute for the guys in the middle.

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another awesome beer from TG. This beer is extremely drinkable. The mouth feel is great and I would recommend this beer to any IPA lover. This brew has a fantastic finish, which really stands out.

Bottom Line: Awesome beer!

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

22oz bottle from the release a couple of weeks ago. Poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A - Pours pale straw golden in color, faint haze, endless streams of bubbles from the center of the
glass. A thick two finger head of dense white foam caps the beer and shows excellent staying
power. Lots of soapy lacing left on the glass.

S - Really fresh aroma (as expected from such a young bottle). Very sweaty hop profile, peachy,
citrusy grapefruit, grapefruit rind. Really intense hop aroma. Gives a very bitter impression
overall. Malt doesn't stand a chance here.

T - A bit of an earthy malt base, faint but noticeable at the base. A somewhat earthy hop
bitterness accompanies this nicely. Quite bitter, sharp and crisp and long-lasting/lingering. Hops
flavoring is a bit more subtle than the aroma would indicate, although not faint at all. Tons of
bitter grapefruit peel and flesh, citrusy flavors work well here. Fairly intense pine notes give a
sticky and resiny character. Some tropical aspects grab hold also - pineapple most notably to
my palate.

M - Straight up medium body with a somewhat soft carbonation. Sticky and resiny overall in feel
with a stiff bitterness. Faintly sweet at times, other sips bypass this completely. Hop showcase
for sure.

O - Certainly a top notch DIPA. My favorite of all time...probably not, but I would place this
solidly in my top 10. Isn't going to get much fresher than this, and freshness would seem to be
a real key here...so many hops that will fade quickly. Definitely glad to be able to try this one as
fresh as this bottle is.

Sosus from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company