Sosus - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

Beer added by: nickapalooza86 on 05-05-2013

In his most notable mosaic work, Sosus of Pergamon depicts doves sunning atop a golden chalice. The image was said to be so enticing that real birds flew into it while trying to reach their stone companions. This single-hop showcase is inspired by the beauty of divinity of the Sosus mosaics. Just as the doves discovered their golden nectar, discover the irresistible nature of the Mosaic hop.

100+ IBU
Reviews: 101 | Hads: 1,004
Reviews by shawlaqua:

3.58/5  rDev -20.3%

Did not live up to hype. I love mosaic and this didn't give me much of it. Generally a disappointment...and was high on my "wants" list.

Appearance: A gorgeous straw bail color with a finger of white head and nice lacing.
Smell: An instant reminder of my favorite beer of the year by Indeed Brewing: LET IT RIDE. A mosaic hop beer where they use four pounds per barrel. It's the perfect balance between citrus, a slight tropical sweetness, and a clean finish with some classic midwest dankness. Juicy, but not as much as King Sue, which really makes it even more amazing. One of my favorite DIPA'S alongside let it ride, scream, king sue, sucks.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely one of the best double IPAs I've ever had. I've never had Heady but I have to imagine this can compete.

A - perfect hazy orange
S - tropical bright kind of mango pineappleish
T - follows the nose. Very smooth.
M - perfect - DNase enough but still so drinkable
O- close to a 5 - everything I want from a double IPA. I believe this beer features the Mosaic hop which, to me is very similar in profile to the Citra. It does a great job showcasing it. I dream of making beer like this.

Sweet Tangerine juice. Really well balanced. No notes of booze. Huge citrus juice nose. Almost like Five Alive. Orange hazy body.

4.71/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass. A nice orange color almost looks like a glass of orange juice. The head was a bit thin but had a nice white color to it., lacing was beautiful and plentiful.

Once I opened the bottle I was hit with a citrus / tropical fruit scent that stayed with me the entire time I drank the beer.

This is one tasty beer, I am not sure how I would describe it but I must say this is seriously the Nectar of the Gods!!! Could really taste the citrus and a was very smooth, it almost had a juice taste rather than a beer taste. Filled my mouth with a beautiful hop flavor and my throat felt it was lined with a sweet candy once I was done with the beer.

DIPA is my favorite styles and I have to say SOSUS blew my mind away. I have had all the greats SOS, Heady, Pliny, Julius etc and to me Sosus is hands down my favorite. I am really thankful to have gotten to try this beer.

3.79/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

4.71/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just picked up this newest bottling at TG on 29 Aug 15 while there for the MD release. New blue label and in my opinion a much better beer than the last version. Absolutely delicious!!

4.49/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another great beer from TG. The Mosaic hops deliver a great juicy flavor, almost a touch of spice. Great citrus aroma. I think I like this more than Pseudo Sue. I can't wait until they brew this again.

3.5/5  rDev -22%

4.64/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.31/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sosus from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company