Sosus - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

Beer added by: nickapalooza86 on 05-05-2013

In his most notable mosaic work, Sosus of Pergamon depicts doves sunning atop a golden chalice. The image was said to be so enticing that real birds flew into it while trying to reach their stone companions. This single-hop showcase is inspired by the beauty of divinity of the Sosus mosaics. Just as the doves discovered their golden nectar, discover the irresistible nature of the Mosaic hop.

100+ IBU
Reviews: 101 | Hads: 1,003

This beer rocks! It's cloudy orange to yellow body is full of hoppy details & packed with citrus! There's a great sweet note from the malts & it's feels so good in your mouth you almost want to chug it! This is a perfect beer in my opinion & you need to get your hands on it if you can. Delicious!

I hate to go with the perfect 5 but this one deserves it... Amazingly hoppy and fruity, melon, citrus, super "dank" if-you-will. Reminds me so much of Maine Beer Co. "Dinner". Light copper color, fruit bouquet aroma, what i want beer to taste like, bubbly and crisp, perfect. not much more to say...

Re-review. Had out of a bomber that was purchased during the MD release.

L: Nice gold hazy color
S: Powerful hoppy nose
T: Wonderfully balanced mosaic hop bomb in my mouth.
F: Perfect IP mouthfeel. Nice carb, nice balance throughout.
O: I had this before and thought it was good. This batch was seriously amazing. King Sue has been my favorite hop brew from TG, but this brew was was right there. Different hop. Less juicy and dryer, but this was absolutely the best mosiac hopped beer I have ever had!

Appearance: A gorgeous straw bail color with a finger of white head and nice lacing.
Smell: An instant reminder of my favorite beer of the year by Indeed Brewing: LET IT RIDE. A mosaic hop beer where they use four pounds per barrel. It's the perfect balance between citrus, a slight tropical sweetness, and a clean finish with some classic midwest dankness. Juicy, but not as much as King Sue, which really makes it even more amazing. One of my favorite DIPA'S alongside let it ride, scream, king sue, sucks.

The beer has a hazy orange color. The aroma is big tropical fruits and grass. The taste is tropical fruits, grass, and bubblegum. Similar to the taste you get from Tree House beers. The best beer I've ever had

The beer looks like pink grapefruit juice, straight gushing.

The aroma hits of ripe melon, tangerine, grapefruit, sweet juicy peaches, a light bready malt, pineapple, papaya.

The flavor jumps out of overripe sweet cantaloupe, candy melon, pineapple ,papaya, grapefruit, bright tangerine, orange zest, dried mango, a creamy mouthfeel and medium minus bready sweetness, then onto resin, grassiness, soft bitterness and drying.

Pours a light Orange color, finger of head, nice lacing.

Smell is citrus and tropical fruits all the way, mango, oranges, grapefruit, lemon, pinapple

Taste is more of the same mango, pineapple, oranges, light grapefruit bitterness, lemon, light sweet malt in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium with oily hop residue and medium carbonation

Well here it is my first 5 for a DIPA, Right up there and a little ahead of my favorites Abrasive, Maximus and NG IIPA

Amazing DIPA. I've never had anything in the DIPA category that I'd put up with Heady...until now. I wonder if I drank them blind which one I'd choose...doesn't really matter because both are fantastic.

Bottled dated 8-20-15.

Absolute juice bomb. By far the best example of using the mosaic hop in any beer I've had to date. Typical TG mouthfeel, and wonderful citrusy aroma and taste. I prefer this to King Sue.

Purchased at Toppling Goliath on Mornin' Delight release day!

22oz Bottle

Look - Orange Juice

Nose - Orange Juice

Taste - Orange Juice

Mouthfeel - Orange Juice

Overall - Mindbogglingly delicious. Thank god I was able to purchase 6 bottles!! One of the best IPA'S I have ever had. Just as good as King Sue. Highly recommended.

I had this a long time ago and rated it a perfect 5... It was at a small tasting and at the end of a long -mostly big/high abv- stout night. But I absolutely loved it and cried when it was gone.... This makes me nervous to revisit because I hope my first impression was accurate, here we go:

Looks beautiful like a like orange hazy mist. non-transparent but lovely looking with small head retention, very welcoming and fruity looking. awesome.
Smell is on point, damn Mosaic hops always seem to kill it in this category. just huge danky/oranges. its beautiful. Pineapple/orange green goodness this smells uber fresh (even though its not) and just overall intoxicating.
So it tastes just like it smells except it's better! because I couldn't wait to taste this, super tasty fruit nectar of the gods. this is so flavor forward. Gosh damn this is incredible, the alcohol is forward and thats hardly a complaint because it doesn't taste bad, everything is working well together.
Mouthfeel is perfect! sweet action with big bitters and high abv... yet it all melts in your mouth. the rich flavor just works so well, would call this a perfect medium mouthfeel.
Overall I can't say enough about this beer, so well crafted, so juicy, so good it should be illegal.

4.96/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a light orange with a two-finger head which dissipates quickly. Decent lacing. The aroma is citrus, peaches, pineapples and mangoes. What an awesome display of the mosaic hop! Lots of fruit in the palate - citrus, passion fruit, peaches, pineapples and mangoes. Grapefruit,mpine resin, and malt in the finish. Medium bodied with decent carbonation and oily hop residue left on the tongue. Overall, potentially the finest double IPA I've ever had, outstanding work Toppling Goliath!

4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Had two 10 oz. pours at the Toppling Goliath Brewery and brought bombers home. Both tasted the exact same.

Pours a fantastic hazy orange with small amounts of lingering head. Decent lacing.

Smells great! Smells like tropical hops/fruit with citrus.

Tastes fantastic. Very refreshing. I love IPA's that are fruit-forward. Simple amazing! Very little hops or lingering aftertaste.

This was my first time having Sosus. I was told that is was "okay" in past versions but everyone in attendance seemed to agree that this batch is top notch. Do not pass up the opportunity to try this! You will be very happy and satisfied. Also, Sosus has a new label.

4.86/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - orange amber clear color with nice white head that fades pretty quickly
S - dank-a-potomous rex. Garlic, onion. Lots of tropical fruits - orange, mango, kiwi, even some blueberry. Ganja. This is definitely a dank IPA.
T - Follows the nose. So intense with the dank, ganja, garlic onion but then tropical flavors. I did not realize how amazing Mosaic hops were.
M - medium mouthfeel. Alc completely covered. aftertaste is dank resinous hops that sticks for a while.
O - this is a good beer.

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another awesome beer from TG. This beer is extremely drinkable. The mouth feel is great and I would recommend this beer to any IPA lover. This brew has a fantastic finish, which really stands out.

Bottom Line: Awesome beer!

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

A-EBF sample pour. Foggy yellowish orange color with a tight packing of white froth.

S-Mosaic hops flow into my nose. Tangy citrus. All the tropical notes you could ask for. Pineapple, peach and apricot. Plenty of dank herbal notes and pine. Very aromatic.

T-The Mosaic hops are pushed to their limits in this beer. Tangy, almost lemony citrus. Tons of ripe pineapple, melon and grapefruit. Finishes with a well balanced, pale and bready maltiness as well as a solid grassy and piney hoppiness. Mosaic hops have a very unique aroma and flavor.

M-Juicy and resiny. High bitterness but it doesn't rip the enamel off your teeth. Long finish. No heat. Very nice.

O/D-Sampled it next to Toppling Goliath's King Sue. King Sue made this one seem tame but then I went back and tried it again and it really blew me away standing on its own. An elite, nearing perfect DIPA.

4.81/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a light peach/orange color into my Duvel tulip. A nice white finger of head disappears quickly and leaves behind some lacing.

S - The scent is lovely citrus and passion fruit, peaches, pineapples and mangoes. The Mosaic hop has an incredible fruitiness to it. More so than Citra IMO.

T - Absolutely fantastic fruits in the taste is more of the same citrus and passion fruit, peaches, pineapples and mangoes. A bit of slight grapefruit and pine bitter, malt in the finish.

M - Zippy carbonation with oily hop residue left on the tongue.

This is my third offering from TG and it is just as good as the others were. Very happy to have this sent up to WI to try. I bought 2 bottles, wish I would have grabbed 2 more.

4.81/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz. bottle kindly provided by Mista, thanks Geoffrey!

I'm tired and it's late so I'll try to keep this simple. The color is perfect. Dark orange straw in color, whatever. The smell is delicious, really wonderful. Tropical citrus with ripe, melon smelling hoppy funk! Really inviting.

T- This is what it's all about. Unbelievably delicious. Citrusy grapefruit but very clean. This is the second time I have been able too try this beer and I thought the first time may have been an abnormally good bottle the first time. This second beer confirms it, it's fantastic!

My favorite IPA is Alpine Nelson, I know this is a Double, but this is now my second favorite IPA being made, thanks Toppling Goliath!

4.76/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured cold into tulip glass. No bottling date, but I know it was bottled around three weeks ago. Consumed on 9/12/14.
Look = 4.25 Pours a heavily cloudy lighter orange gold color with 1.5 fingers of just off white head that fades to a cap. Retention is great and lace is terrific. The cloudiness detracts from the score here. Normally this beer is clear but according to TG they couldn’t do it with this batch.
Aroma = 5 Single hopped with mosaic hops and you can tell! Crazy hop forward aroma. Citrus and tropical fruits everywhere, mango, orange, pineapple, ect. Super fresh smelling, wonderful.
Taste = 4.75 Follows the nose and lives up to it! Citrus and tropical fruit notes throughout. Only a mild bitterness on the backend. Great tasting beer.
Feel = 4.5 Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Lighter body then most DIPAs and it fits the flavor profile perfectly. Very refreshing for a DIPA.
Drinkability = 4.75 Probably the most drinkable DIPA I’ve ever had. Light and refreshing at 8% ABV with only a mild bitterness. Super fresh smelling and tasting.
Overall = 4.7 This beer is nuts. Highest scoring IPA I’ve ever had. The aroma, taste, feel and drinkability are all off the charts. Amazing.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

It doesn't get better than this. Zero booziness, and absolutely heavenly to drink. If IPAs/DIPAs are your thing, you haven't had one until you've had this. Nearly perfect.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Oh man, I forgot how good this is. Poured this freshly bottled gem (. 8/21/14) was lead to believe this was said to be bottled on 8/20, pretty sure that is a fact.

Smellslike a hoppy grapefruit rind, not overly sweet.

Nicely carbonated, nice white lacing, big juicy, fruiy, grapefruit bowl of hoppy goodness with some malty backbone.

Bitter hop bite on the end, the whole tasting experience makes you want to do it again to pick out more qualities, and again, and taste it again, thanks Mike, this is great, thanks Clark, for TG.

They just keep pushing the limits of my taste buds, and I love it.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This IPA from the midwest is right up there with the big dogs from New England. This was the closest to a "Trillium" type beer that I've had from a brewery in the midwest. The look, the smell, the taste, its all there. Great job TG, I look forward to the next batch!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer from Toppling Goliath . I got the new bottle with the birds and I love it . This is a great DIPA thats stands up to the new england brews I get .

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely one of the best double IPAs I've ever had. I've never had Heady but I have to imagine this can compete.

A - perfect hazy orange
S - tropical bright kind of mango pineappleish
T - follows the nose. Very smooth.
M - perfect - DNase enough but still so drinkable
O- close to a 5 - everything I want from a double IPA. I believe this beer features the Mosaic hop which, to me is very similar in profile to the Citra. It does a great job showcasing it. I dream of making beer like this.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottle from the brewery shared by RussianDragon. Thanks bro!

The beer is light yellow and hazy with a thick, white cap. Oh my...tropical fruits abound. Mango, pineapple, orange, a hint of lemon. Absolutely fantastic. Huge flavor and a showcase of fresh hops. World class.

Sosus from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company