Sosus - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

SosusSosus

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

Beer added by: nickapalooza86 on 05-05-2013

In his most notable mosaic work, Sosus of Pergamon depicts doves sunning atop a golden chalice. The image was said to be so enticing that real birds flew into it while trying to reach their stone companions. This single-hop showcase is inspired by the beauty of divinity of the Sosus mosaics. Just as the doves discovered their golden nectar, discover the irresistible nature of the Mosaic hop.

100+ IBU

This beer rocks! It's cloudy orange to yellow body is full of hoppy details & packed with citrus! There's a great sweet note from the malts & it's feels so good in your mouth you almost want to chug it! This is a perfect beer in my opinion & you need to get your hands on it if you can. Delicious! (298 characters)

I hate to go with the perfect 5 but this one deserves it... Amazingly hoppy and fruity, melon, citrus, super "dank" if-you-will. Reminds me so much of Maine Beer Co. "Dinner". Light copper color, fruit bouquet aroma, what i want beer to taste like, bubbly and crisp, perfect. not much more to say... (299 characters)

Appearance: A gorgeous straw bail color with a finger of white head and nice lacing.
Smell: An instant reminder of my favorite beer of the year by Indeed Brewing: LET IT RIDE. A mosaic hop beer where they use four pounds per barrel. It's the perfect balance between citrus, a slight tropical sweetness, and a clean finish with some classic midwest dankness. Juicy, but not as much as King Sue, which really makes it even more amazing. One of my favorite DIPA'S alongside let it ride, scream, king sue, sucks. (508 characters)

Pours a light Orange color, finger of head, nice lacing.

Smell is citrus and tropical fruits all the way, mango, oranges, grapefruit, lemon, pinapple

Taste is more of the same mango, pineapple, oranges, light grapefruit bitterness, lemon, light sweet malt in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium with oily hop residue and medium carbonation

Well here it is my first 5 for a DIPA, Right up there and a little ahead of my favorites Abrasive, Maximus and NG IIPA (466 characters)

Amazing DIPA. I've never had anything in the DIPA category that I'd put up with Heady...until now. I wonder if I drank them blind which one I'd choose...doesn't really matter because both are fantastic. (204 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +11%

A - Pours a light peach/orange color into my Duvel tulip. A nice white finger of head disappears quickly and leaves behind some lacing.

S - The scent is lovely citrus and passion fruit, peaches, pineapples and mangoes. The Mosaic hop has an incredible fruitiness to it. More so than Citra IMO.

T - Absolutely fantastic fruits in the taste is more of the same citrus and passion fruit, peaches, pineapples and mangoes. A bit of slight grapefruit and pine bitter, malt in the finish.

M - Zippy carbonation with oily hop residue left on the tongue.

This is my third offering from TG and it is just as good as the others were. Very happy to have this sent up to WI to try. I bought 2 bottles, wish I would have grabbed 2 more. (729 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +11%

The beer comes in a hazy orange.

The aroma is hugely pungent. Citrus, lemons, tropical, mango, pineapple, apricot, passionfruit, hints of blueberry, just extremely aromatic.

The flavor follows of blueberry, oranges, lemon peel, peach, mango, and with some herbal and resinous bitterness on the finish. Lots of juiciness, a light doughy malt.

An absolutely world class IPA. (375 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +11%

Pours a light orange with a two-finger head which dissipates quickly. Decent lacing. The aroma is citrus, peaches, pineapples and mangoes. What an awesome display of the mosaic hop! Lots of fruit in the palate - citrus, passion fruit, peaches, pineapples and mangoes. Grapefruit,mpine resin, and malt in the finish. Medium bodied with decent carbonation and oily hop residue left on the tongue. Overall, potentially the finest double IPA I've ever had, outstanding work Toppling Goliath! (487 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another awesome beer from TG. This beer is extremely drinkable. The mouth feel is great and I would recommend this beer to any IPA lover. This brew has a fantastic finish, which really stands out.

Bottom Line: Awesome beer! (225 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

A-EBF sample pour. Foggy yellowish orange color with a tight packing of white froth.

S-Mosaic hops flow into my nose. Tangy citrus. All the tropical notes you could ask for. Pineapple, peach and apricot. Plenty of dank herbal notes and pine. Very aromatic.

T-The Mosaic hops are pushed to their limits in this beer. Tangy, almost lemony citrus. Tons of ripe pineapple, melon and grapefruit. Finishes with a well balanced, pale and bready maltiness as well as a solid grassy and piney hoppiness. Mosaic hops have a very unique aroma and flavor.

M-Juicy and resiny. High bitterness but it doesn't rip the enamel off your teeth. Long finish. No heat. Very nice.

O/D-Sampled it next to Toppling Goliath's King Sue. King Sue made this one seem tame but then I went back and tried it again and it really blew me away standing on its own. An elite, nearing perfect DIPA. (868 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz. bottle kindly provided by Mista, thanks Geoffrey!

I'm tired and it's late so I'll try to keep this simple. The color is perfect. Dark orange straw in color, whatever. The smell is delicious, really wonderful. Tropical citrus with ripe, melon smelling hoppy funk! Really inviting.

T- This is what it's all about. Unbelievably delicious. Citrusy grapefruit but very clean. This is the second time I have been able too try this beer and I thought the first time may have been an abnormally good bottle the first time. This second beer confirms it, it's fantastic!

My favorite IPA is Alpine Nelson, I know this is a Double, but this is now my second favorite IPA being made, thanks Toppling Goliath! (706 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured cold into tulip glass. No bottling date, but I know it was bottled around three weeks ago. Consumed on 9/12/14.
Look = 4.25 Pours a heavily cloudy lighter orange gold color with 1.5 fingers of just off white head that fades to a cap. Retention is great and lace is terrific. The cloudiness detracts from the score here. Normally this beer is clear but according to TG they couldn’t do it with this batch.
Aroma = 5 Single hopped with mosaic hops and you can tell! Crazy hop forward aroma. Citrus and tropical fruits everywhere, mango, orange, pineapple, ect. Super fresh smelling, wonderful.
Taste = 4.75 Follows the nose and lives up to it! Citrus and tropical fruit notes throughout. Only a mild bitterness on the backend. Great tasting beer.
Feel = 4.5 Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Lighter body then most DIPAs and it fits the flavor profile perfectly. Very refreshing for a DIPA.
Drinkability = 4.75 Probably the most drinkable DIPA I’ve ever had. Light and refreshing at 8% ABV with only a mild bitterness. Super fresh smelling and tasting.
Overall = 4.7 This beer is nuts. Highest scoring IPA I’ve ever had. The aroma, taste, feel and drinkability are all off the charts. Amazing. (1,235 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

It doesn't get better than this. Zero booziness, and absolutely heavenly to drink. If IPAs/DIPAs are your thing, you haven't had one until you've had this. Nearly perfect. (171 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Oh man, I forgot how good this is. Poured this freshly bottled gem (. 8/21/14) was lead to believe this was said to be bottled on 8/20, pretty sure that is a fact.

Smellslike a hoppy grapefruit rind, not overly sweet.

Nicely carbonated, nice white lacing, big juicy, fruiy, grapefruit bowl of hoppy goodness with some malty backbone.

Bitter hop bite on the end, the whole tasting experience makes you want to do it again to pick out more qualities, and again, and taste it again, thanks Mike, this is great, thanks Clark, for TG.

They just keep pushing the limits of my taste buds, and I love it. (603 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely one of the best double IPAs I've ever had. I've never had Heady but I have to imagine this can compete.

A - perfect hazy orange
S - tropical bright kind of mango pineappleish
T - follows the nose. Very smooth.
M - perfect - DNase enough but still so drinkable
O- close to a 5 - everything I want from a double IPA. I believe this beer features the Mosaic hop which, to me is very similar in profile to the Citra. It does a great job showcasing it. I dream of making beer like this. (504 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle from the brewery shared by RussianDragon. Thanks bro!

The beer is light yellow and hazy with a thick, white cap. Oh my...tropical fruits abound. Mango, pineapple, orange, a hint of lemon. Absolutely fantastic. Huge flavor and a showcase of fresh hops. World class. (272 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great Beer! Poured into into snifter glass. Glass present a white head which dissipated quickly.
Smelled pine, citrus, and maybe honey wine. I can't say I know what honey wine smells like but I get both the notes of honey and notes wine that seem to come together! Wow!

I taste some citrus but what I really notice is the biscuity taste. The beer is hardly bitter, primarily sweet. It like a honey biscuit. Its hoppy for sure! I expected it to be bitter, but this one really caught me off guard. Not sure what the ABV is but there is some subtle heat as the beer warms up.

Seriously...if you see this beer, pick it up. Probably one of the best double IPA's I tasted. It's very unique in it's own way (considering the number of Double IPA's I have tasted). I know I don't have a lot of word to say, but I will say this...I wished I picked up more than one bottle. (866 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Date: 05/21/2013
Type: 22oz. Bomber
Vintage: 2013, but unsure to exact freshness as no date stamped/labeled.
Glass: Heady Topper Stemless Glass

Very excited to try this one and thanks to BA MaltyLareau (Dave) for getting this out to me to sample. This is the one that I think might end up right there w/ Double Sunshine and Heady Topper.

Pours a golden in color w/ a 1 finger white head that produces medium amounts of sticky lacing. Aromas of heavy pear, mandarin orange, pineapple, and mild pine. The flavor was of big pear/pear juice up front, leading into pineapple/mango/melon, and finishes w/ very mild resinous bitterness (almost non-existent). Medium bodied and finishes very clean and juicy. High drinkability on this one due to the juiciness, very refreshing.

Overall/Verdict, awesome, extra juicy DIPA from this tiny brewery. Very narrowly over Double Sunshine the best DIPA I have ever had. This beer lived up to my expectations and is a notch above Double Sunshine. Despite being similar to Heady in my scoring this beer is quite the different animal, where Heady is a dry grapefruit bomb this is a juicier pear bomb. In the end, this single hopped beer really showcased the massive pear flavor that can be derived from Mosaic hops. (1,250 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Nick Wade for the bottle. Arrived on my doorstep today and drinking it tonight while fresh. Bright gold with light haze, topped with a white foam that has decent retention. On the lighter side of color for a double IPA. The aroma has a blast of citrus hop freshness with a strong grapefruit vibe and hints of sweetness. Very hop focused yet clean, there is just a touch of dank twang that really finishes off the smell and makes it oh so inviting.

The taste is everything you'd expect from the smell, intense citrus hops with a crisp melon and mango-like sweetness. Slightly resiny, but finishes nice and clean with a decent bitterness. The beer itself reminds me of Alpine Nelson yet is a bit stronger/sweeter, and the Mosaic hop doesn't seem quite as piney. Medium body, spot on carbonation.

I've been reading that this stacks up with San Diego style IPA's like Alpine and I can attest that it's true. It's one of those beers I could smell all day long, if only I had more than one bottle. I'd say this beer is worthy of the hype it's going to receive, but only if it's consumed very fresh. This is one of those IPA's that won't be nearly the same in a month. (1,175 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Beer pours pours somewhere in between straw and amber with a little haze. Pretty darn pretty.

The smell on this guy is enormous. Really caught me off guard, actually. It's piney on the front, floral on the back, and citrus in the middle. Pretty remarkable smell. I'm more fond of the huge citrus/tropical myself, but there is no doubt this is impressive.

The taste is top notch--incredible hop presence. Piney and floral resin mixed with a cornucopia of tropical fruits. Pretty damn intense and pretty bitter. There is a unique spiciness in the beer that reminds me of ZD, actually. In that case it must be citra, but all other citra beers I've had lack that spiciness. I don't even know if there is citra in this? Maybe mosaic? I don't know. I'm loving this beer though. There is a lot of breadiness too, and decent sweetness to round things out.

EDIT: Thanks to Stevedore for pointing out my ignorance and telling me that it's single hop mosaic.

Mouthfeel is very good. Characteristic of the elite ipas, but a little thinner. Still amazing.

Overall, this is wayyyy up there on the iipa chain for me. I'm shocked with how good this is. I guess after having Zeelander on firkin with citra, I shouldn't be surprised though. Way to kill it, TG! (1,250 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow. I generally drink Hill Farmstead and Heady. I've had all of the so-called great IPA's through various trades- Zombie Dust, Pliny, Three Floyds, everything from San Diego, etc. ..(snore). This is the real deal. Maybe I'm getting ahead of my self since I only had one bomber, but this has the super juicy, resiny, oily feel that all of the big boys are trying to get but few do.
Slick, pungent, with nice hops...just perfect. As for the appearance, I prefer a hazy unfiltered look, but really, who cares. It's drop dead delicious. I have a feeling this brewery is going to be huge. (584 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

I have pretty good faith when I buy a beer from this Iowa brewery. I bought a 22 oz. and saw everyone was buying their max 2 bottle alotment. I bought 1. It was still chilled so i brought it right home and opened it.

Poured into a pretty big glass and got a bright gold body with lots of bubbles from the bottom. Thick white head with great lacing.

This beer is very fresh and it smells that way. Lots of tropical fruit and that's about all I get.

Now for the taste... This is probably the strongest IPA flavor wise I have had. I don't mean the in your face pine or grapefruit. I mean tropical, citrus, apricot and malt. Wow. This is truly a wonderful blend of the above. Slightly sweet but just right. Nice creamy fish and a strong apricot and hints of other citrus lingers in your palate. This beer is what I like in the IPA family. Close to perfect. I hear the production is kicking up so maybe I can get this again. I have only heard of it here once before. (964 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%

22oz bottle from the release a couple of weeks ago. Poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A - Pours pale straw golden in color, faint haze, endless streams of bubbles from the center of the
glass. A thick two finger head of dense white foam caps the beer and shows excellent staying
power. Lots of soapy lacing left on the glass.

S - Really fresh aroma (as expected from such a young bottle). Very sweaty hop profile, peachy,
citrusy grapefruit, grapefruit rind. Really intense hop aroma. Gives a very bitter impression
overall. Malt doesn't stand a chance here.

T - A bit of an earthy malt base, faint but noticeable at the base. A somewhat earthy hop
bitterness accompanies this nicely. Quite bitter, sharp and crisp and long-lasting/lingering. Hops
flavoring is a bit more subtle than the aroma would indicate, although not faint at all. Tons of
bitter grapefruit peel and flesh, citrusy flavors work well here. Fairly intense pine notes give a
sticky and resiny character. Some tropical aspects grab hold also - pineapple most notably to
my palate.

M - Straight up medium body with a somewhat soft carbonation. Sticky and resiny overall in feel
with a stiff bitterness. Faintly sweet at times, other sips bypass this completely. Hop showcase
for sure.

O - Certainly a top notch DIPA. My favorite of all time...probably not, but I would place this
solidly in my top 10. Isn't going to get much fresher than this, and freshness would seem to be
a real key here...so many hops that will fade quickly. Definitely glad to be able to try this one as
fresh as this bottle is. (1,605 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served chilled in a pint glass.

A – pour is a turbulent light golden with minimal head which fades to a minimal lacing.

S – aroma is pineapple mango and grapefruit

T – taste is predominantly grapefruit with a piney hop finish.

M – most feel is smooth fairly full-bodied low carbonation no hint of alcohol.

O – fantastic double IPA. wish this stuff was more readily available here. Another winner from TG (422 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

A: deep golden ale with rich foamy head a few fingers high

S: lots of rich citrus and pith, floral and bright; subtler aromas of clean, fresh malt

T: exciting hop action is sharp and crisp and fresh, melding the darker pine into the palette of citric elements; slightly sweet pale malt chew beneath

M: medium weight with ample carbonation, quick bittering and relatively clean-finishing; tight and crisp

O: an outstanding DIPA sure to please fans of that sort; a brightly shining example of a superior DIPA. (511 characters)

Sosus from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company