Sosus - Toppling Goliath Brewing Company

SosusSosus

Toppling Goliath Brewing Company visit their website
Iowa, United States

In his most notable mosaic work, Sosus of Pergamon depicts doves sunning atop a golden chalice. The image was said to be so enticing that real birds flew into it while trying to reach their stone companions. This single-hop showcase is inspired by the beauty of divinity of the Sosus mosaics. Just as the doves discovered their golden nectar, discover the irresistible nature of the Mosaic hop.

(Beer added by: nickapalooza86 on 05-05-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sosus Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -39.3%

3.58/5  rDev -21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is an Double IPA brewed entirely with Mosaic hops. I'll admit I haven't actually been a big fan of this hop in the past and this one was the test to end all tests for if that held true.

Aroma of lemon, orange peel, pineapple. Sweet marmalade. Appearance is light gold with a fine white head. The flavor rather bitter up front rather than the sweet I was expecting from the aroma. There is a distinct sharp hop clash and bitterness right away in the taste. Fruit flavors of papaya, unripe mango and tart berries as the hop bitterness fades a bit. A hint of sweetness but this beer is dry and bitter, bordering on astringent.

Overall I did like the beer but something about the balance on it didn't hit me right. I would have liked that fruitiness up front more and less astringency. I'm still not completely sold on Mosaic but this is certainly the best beer I've tried so far that features that hop. I know I'm the minority here, so no flame wars please!

3.66/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Possibly my bottle isn't as fresh as the person I got it from believed it was. I was expecting a bit more from this one.

Kinda resembles Schlafly's T-IPA (mosaic) but not sure if it holds up beside it.

the malt is very subtle and the mosaic hops aren't as brilliant as I know they can be. The fade is musty bitterness.

Excited to maybe try this one again someday. Slightly hard to get a hold of in the first place.

3.8/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

10/12/2013 At work on a weekend

Thanks hyroglyphk!

A: Pale yellow. Or maybe office fluorescent lights don't do it justice.

S: Grass, earthy, maybe pine. No citrus, zest, etc.

T: Good but not great. Can taste the same elements I smell but I like my DIPAs to have a little lemony or grapefruity zest, or pine stickiness. The lack of overly bitter bite at the end is appreciated

M: Close to perfect for a DIPA

O: Just below outstanding based on the scale here. Too many great DIPAs out there to go after the TG hype. Certainly worth it if easily accessible but not something I would seek out.

3.93/5  rDev -13.2%

Picked up a bottle of this beer, reportedly bottled a bit over a week ago, in one of my periodic cross-border pillages into Wisconsin. Great having two states' distribution within 25 minutes of home! 22 oz. bottle split with my wife.

First, very cool, mosaic-like bottle art. Second, the pour is a dark yellow that is unclear; very like when you wiz on the verge of dehydration. Nose is 4/5ths full of grapefruit & fruit: nice, but I didn't touch nirvana.

Sosus tastes like liquified Hawaiin Sweet Bread, which, I'll confess, is a staple in my bread drawer. Tons of light sweetbread appears right away & I fear for the the "IPA" label, but then the hops rappel in to save the style description. A floral bouquet is backed by a whap of citrus & pine. Bitterness is an afterthought, but shows. The best part of the beer is the hop sap that oozes into all the cracks in my oral orifice & sticks all over the place. Drinkability is high. My 11 ounces is already more than half gone.

This is a very good IIPA. We're already planning a camping trip to southeastern Minnesota this summer, with a layover at Toppling Goliath. Looking forward to trying more.

Sosus from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company