Rex Attitude - Yeastie Boys

Rex AttitudeRex Attitude

Yeastie Boys visit their website
New Zealand (Aotearoa)

Smoked Beer |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: laituegonflable on 06-03-2011)
Reviews by Parrotshake:
4.33/5  rDev +26.2%

Admittedly this is not my first go 'round with this beer. Had I reviewed it on initial taste, it might have gone something like ".... well, it does what it said it was going to do. Glad I tried it". But since then I've been drawn back to it more and more. And more. Basically every time I've been to Archive in the last few months and this has been on the shelf, I've grabbed one. And I love it more and more.

As a fan of Islay whiskies you'd think I'd be predisposed to liking this, but it's not whisky, it's beer. So now what? It pours a clear yellow with a finger or so of head. That's what a beer does. And then things start to get... uncomfortable. Big iodine, seaweed, smoking tyre rubber. Smells like that shot of Ardberg Supernova I paid 20-something dollars for at Cru Bar recently. But look at those little bubbles... again, this is beer.

Smoke, smoke and more smoke in the taste. More smoked than the most smoked beer that you can think of. More smoked than most actual smoke. And far more like bacon, burnt plastic and sea salt as well. No bitterness to speak of. I am overcome with the notion that everything I thought I knew about beer was wrong.

The only time I paid attention to mouthfeel was initially, when I was forced to try to come to terms with a universe in which a carbonated Islay whisky could exist. It was pretty good, I think.

This beer is obviously not for everyone. Not necessarily even for me, the first time. But as some Buddhist guy said - the narrow mind rejects; wisdom accepts. A confounding and challenging journey that ends with a glorious sunset, revelatory fist-pump and a sincere and embarrassingly loud "FUCK YEAH". Cheers.

Parrotshake, Oct 25, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

csmartin6, Nov 11, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

dertyd, Oct 26, 2013

Vanz, Apr 01, 2014
3.73/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. Cloudy gold pour, billowing rocky white head. Maintained pretty well.

Aroma, Big and bold, heavy beach wood smoke. Some faint caramel maltiness, some grainy hay. Liquid smoke, smoked pork, light bacon.

Taste, woody smoke, burnt leaves, it is intense. Some grainy malt, not too much malt balance though. Actually has a nice chocolate note in the finish. A few herbal notes, but this is really all about the ashy malt.

About mid bodied, a higher level of carbonation adds to the harshness a bit. 12 ounces is about enough. A bit too one dimensional. Maybe worth trying, $7 was a bit high though.
Starts out nicely though intense, not as good after that great aroma.

Bung, Dec 03, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours amber with a small fading head.
Nose shows bandaids, camp smoke, burnt hair, burnt plastic and faint caramel. Imagine a plastics factory caught on fire and someone put it out with beer. Pretty comparable to the aroma of this stuff. It's amazingly potent too, strong enough to be detected from the other side of the room.
Tastes like charcoal. Seriously. And more burnt plastic. With a little sweet malt underneath.
This was difficult to rate - on the one hand, it was very interesting and unique. On the other hand, it was a serious hassle to drink and I never want to try it again.

CrazyDavros, Aug 30, 2011
3.74/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a hazy, light straw amber with a thin white head with decent retention and slippery lacing. Aroma is dominated by smoke, which has a slight burning electrical parts component, but also smokehouse, making it ultimately inviting. Faint malt. Flavor follows very closely, with bacon smokehouse with a medicinal, chemical element that must be the iodine from the peat. There is sufficient malt support, but the flavor of the malt is subsumed to the smoke. Medium bodied with nice carbonation. An idiosynchratic smoked ale that teeters on the edge of being too medicinal, but ultimately interesting to drink. I would not recommend this to anyone who does not like smoked beers, but it worked for me. The peaty qualities grew on me as I drank the glass (and perhaps some fussy taste buds died). Interesting, but challenging.

LiquidAmber, Oct 01, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +35%

OMG ...

Appearance: very pale.

Smell: I used to drink single malt Islay whiskey and the first thing that came into my mind was that this is not beer .. It's whiskey! The strangest thing.

Taste: exactly what it promises ... Peaty and smokey blended with a nice light golden ale. Single malt beer. Genius.

Overall: the most surprising beer I have had in a loooong time. I love it. Well done Yeatie Noys!

Rwalford74, Mar 22, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

raythealeman, Jun 26, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Feeling all tingly getting ready to try this. Getting lots of attention. Here we go.

Pours about the same color and clarity as a hefewiezen. Hazy but golden in color. Thin white head does well to stick around. Golden with almost a green tinge, interesting. That single malt (100% peated malt) must have a strange effect when mashed.

Certainly has that strong smoked meaty character but not overpowering or offensive. Where it is let down a bit I suppose is that its missing anything else to complement the strong smoke.

Taste is not quite as, well, I was going to say not as intense but that's not true. It is seriously intense. It's just difficult for any human palate to comprehend this level of smoke in beer form. It does have some sort of sweetness and body that is necessary to hold up the rest of the beer but is still under done.

Hmm, what is left to say. There is a reason this malt is normally used in limited quantity, but this ain't no normal beer. This is extreme beer if there ever was one. Totally unbalanced, totally unconventional, totally over smoked. But that is what they were going for, and they managed to get a product that is still recognizable as the ever broadening definition of beer.

Would I try it again, probably not. But I would highly recommend everyone to try it at least once.

joecast, Jun 08, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -34.4%

JimmyPhillips, May 03, 2014
3.49/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Shared by Chico1985, excited as I love smoky beer and smoky Scotch, especially. Reviewed from notes.

A- Golden bodied with a small creamy white head. Bubbly frothy ring is pretty thick, head retention not too good. Spotty lace.

S- Pure Islay smokey scotch, straight up reminds me of Islay and that's about it, something on fire around here? Salty seaweed Islay.

T- Follows the nose with a huge smoke that lingers with each exhale intensifying it all. Smoked meats and campfire are huge, some light cracker sugar malts but that's it beyond the Islay scotch brutality. Light yeasty apple.

MF- Light bodied like an American pale ale. Medium level of carbonation, smoke lingers with some bitterness on the palate. Slightly frothy texture overall.

Islay monster and maybe the smokiest beer I can think of since Fumistierre by DDC. Attacks with a mouth full of burnt Peat wood smoke. I personally like smoky brews but can see how 75% of the people who sniffed or tried it were turned off.

cbutova, Dec 10, 2013
3.56/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a hazy medium golden yellow in color with moderate amounts of gentle visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and some apricot highlights. The beer has a three finger tall foamy off-white head that slowly reduces to a large thick cap in the center of the glass surrounded by a thick film covering the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of smoked peat with lighter notes of iodine. Overall, one of the strongest smelling smoked beers I have ever encountered.

T: The overall aroma was completely dominated by the flavors of smoked peat and just a hint of wood smoke as well. There is a light amount of spicy hops towards the finish but the malts are almost completely lost int he smoke. Hints of iodine (medicinal flavor) that get a little more intense as the beer warms.

M: Medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Very crisp with a moderately dry finish.

O: As the bottle says on it, this is definitely one of the more challenging beers that I have ever drank - the smokiness is almost overwhelming and gives off an iodine/band-aid like flavor that lingers. I appreciate the idea behind it but maybe just slightly less intense would make this one a little more palatable.

dbrauneis, Aug 07, 2013
3.78/5  rDev +10.2%

Thanks to rudzud for sharing this one.

Pours a light creamy head, hazy pale golden color.

Nose is crazy, phenol city, peat smoke like Ardbeg level, pure peat, iodine, campfire, anda little bit of yeast and malt.

Taste is smokey as expected, peat, iodine, campfire, smoked something or other, harsh smoke but good IMO as a peat-o-phile and Islay fan, light salty briny, little bitter, light yeasty flavor with a bit of malts and caramel. Finish is pure smoke, even a bit tingly and some heat and peat.

Mouth is med bodied, decent carb.

Overall pretty good, like a beer for of Lagavulin with tons of peat and smoke but not ridiculously bitter acrid and overpowering like most peat smoked beers.

jlindros, Oct 28, 2012
3.7/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

What a polarizing beer, I'm not surprised this has a love/hate relationship.

Pours a surprising and tame looking clear gold color with a thin white head.

Aromas are of strong peat. Smoke, ash, and whiskey almost burn the nose, I like it, but to some, this would be the turnoff.

Taste is about as unique as any beer I've tried. (and there have been hundreds) Bright gold ale flavors up front, sweet creamy malts, light dough, and a peaty, earthy, bacon and ashy smoke finish. Odd is an understatement, but it kind of works.

Mouthfeel is full and quite smooth.

Overall?! Wow... an experimental beer that is hard for me to wrap my head around. It's one of those beers, that some sips you like, others not so much. I'll peg this as a 3.5 because I can't make up my mind. I know this, it's well worth trying for any adventurous beer drinker.

flexabull, Mar 08, 2012
3.09/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Appearance - dirty and dull light gold. Lots of foam, it actually started rising up the neck when I cracked the cap. Then the cap wouldn't come off! I gave it a good wrench, the cap went flying and I got this pouring into the glass not a moment too soon. It's receding around the sides, leaving a foam island in the middle. A thick sticky web of lace with a shine to it. 4.5

Aroma - super smoky, as in Liquid Smoke. This beer is carcinogenic no doubt. It's sitting off to the side as I type and I can smell it from here. Nothing but smoke. 3.75

Taste - wow, what a burned up beer! Ash and sugar, some combination. Is this an attempt at an imperial smoke beer? It's smoky, the only offsetting flavor is some vague grainy sweetness. Some warmth late but I don't know if that's alcohol or if the beer still has a few glowing embers in it somehow. Extreme, I am thankful this was not sold in 22 ounce or 750 ml format, 11.2 ounces is *plenty*. I have two smokers and wouldn't smoke any of my food this heavily, although I have tasted edges of rib racks that were kind of like this. 2.50

Mouthfeel - highly carbonated, average body and weight. 3.0

Overall - interesting but not something I'd ever care to re-visit. The style intrigues me but I think a better integration of the smoke into the malt and hops would be tastier than this all-out smoke assault. Of course if that was the intent, then mission accomplished, but wow, this one is rough sledding. 1.75

brewdlyhooked13, Mar 30, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

bpk59, Jan 22, 2013

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden yellow color and a hazy consistency. There was an inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: Wow. A super-smoky aroma that makes itself known the second you open the bottle. A smokier smell than I expected.

T: Like the aroma, the taste was absolutely dominated by the smoke (it's even more evident than Schlenkerla's beers). Also had a nice balance of hops, a little citrus, and some malt.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a crisp, dry finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Like most smoked beers, this one isn't for everyone. If you like the style give this beer a shot.

avalon07, Aug 11, 2012
2.76/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The beer comes in a golden yellow color with a white head that goes away quickly.

The aroma is just a punch of the face of peat at first, but then you realize that it's just huge notes of oil base paints. It truly is just chemicals and smells like you're sitting in an art room. Deep in the back you get a bit of the malt, but it's hard to find considering how big the aroma is. A pretty offensive smelling beer.

The flavor follows, but not as much chemical on the flavor. There's leather, burnt plastic, smoke, oak, bacon grease with then a finish of that gentle bit of grassy hops and some bready malt on the back end.

Three of my friends hated it. I was able to get through about 4 oz. myself before we poured out the rest of this $9 bottle. This beer lacks balance and also really could down those offensive notes.

dar482, Aug 27, 2013

djtomain, Sep 16, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +2%

kaelingirl, Sep 21, 2013

delgotit99, Aug 16, 2014
3.13/5  rDev -8.7%

Second time having this, thankfully splitting the bottle between 3-4 people this time.

Pour is light orange with a bit of haze. Small white head retains well leaving some good lacing.

Straight up crazy smoky seaweed scotch malt, smoked ham, peat. Pretty much smells like scotch, pretty intense.

Taste is mostly the same but I'd say toned down slightly from the scent. Some notes of toasted bread, and perhaps some light fruit (apple came to mind), but scotch malt dominates.

Well-carbonated, pretty good mouthfeel, definitely a sipper for me.

It is what it is, this is personally not really my thing as I was still struggling to finish ~4 oz. But I can appreciate what it's going for.

Chico1985, Aug 10, 2013