His Majesty 2012 - Yeastie Boys

No picture uploaded.

Yeastie Boys visit their website
New Zealand (Aotearoa)

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Rwalford74 on 03-19-2013)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by lacqueredmouse:
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.63/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle purchased from Platinum Liquor in Bellevue Hill. Bottle shared with Sam.

Pours a coppery amber colour, not particularly dark, but not particularly light. Clarity is good. Head forms a big frothy cushion at the start, but settles to a solid half centimetre, pocked with large bubbles. Lacing is superb. Carbonation is fine, and the body looks like it has some heft to it, despite flowing quite fluidly. Looks pretty good.

Nose is clear and Belgian, laced with some odd characters that don't do it any favours. There's a noticeable metallic note coming through, along with a definite apple overtone. Some vanilla works its way in as well. Minimal phenolic spicy characters, although there's a slight dirty funk. It's ok, but somewhat skewed in an odd and slightly unpleasant direction.

Taste is a little better: it's smooth and round, and rather light, with some minerally characters providing the counterpoint. Mild caramel, some phenols here (at last), and a pleasantly dry finish. It's smooth and round and yeah pleasant without being very exciting.

Feel is also smooth, perhaps a little bit too heavy, but acceptable.

Overall, it's decent, but I'm really not sold on it overall. This is the second of the Yeasties' Majesty series I've had, and the second that I've been lukewarm about. I'll try another couple to see what happens, but I'm genuinely wondering why a brewery which does such good brews otherwise doesn't excite me with these special releases.

03-23-2013 08:09:54 | More by lacqueredmouse
Rwalford74

Australia

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As you can tell from the scores, I REALLY enjoyed this beer. My usual brew is a good stout or porter (OMG I love Old Engine Oil) or a solid IPA. I occasionally stray into Belgian beers and I'm a big fan of Leffe Brune. So ...

Pours a beautiful reddish colour in a goblet. (An old Chimmay glass).

Head is clean, white and a consistent texture. Doesn't die off quickly either.

Didn't make much note of the smell.

Taste and texture were wonderful. I was tempted to give this a five as a Belgian strong ale. It's been a while, but I guess Salvation is comparable in quality it this has a more fruity flavour from memory.

I will definitely try to get hold of this again. A winner !!

03-19-2013 08:41:18 | More by Rwalford74
His Majesty 2012 from Yeastie Boys
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.