His Majesty 2012 - Yeastie Boys

No picture uploaded.

Yeastie Boys visit their website
New Zealand (Aotearoa)

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Rwalford74 on 03-19-2013)
Reviews by lacqueredmouse:
3.63/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle purchased from Platinum Liquor in Bellevue Hill. Bottle shared with Sam.

Pours a coppery amber colour, not particularly dark, but not particularly light. Clarity is good. Head forms a big frothy cushion at the start, but settles to a solid half centimetre, pocked with large bubbles. Lacing is superb. Carbonation is fine, and the body looks like it has some heft to it, despite flowing quite fluidly. Looks pretty good.

Nose is clear and Belgian, laced with some odd characters that don't do it any favours. There's a noticeable metallic note coming through, along with a definite apple overtone. Some vanilla works its way in as well. Minimal phenolic spicy characters, although there's a slight dirty funk. It's ok, but somewhat skewed in an odd and slightly unpleasant direction.

Taste is a little better: it's smooth and round, and rather light, with some minerally characters providing the counterpoint. Mild caramel, some phenols here (at last), and a pleasantly dry finish. It's smooth and round and yeah pleasant without being very exciting.

Feel is also smooth, perhaps a little bit too heavy, but acceptable.

Overall, it's decent, but I'm really not sold on it overall. This is the second of the Yeasties' Majesty series I've had, and the second that I've been lukewarm about. I'll try another couple to see what happens, but I'm genuinely wondering why a brewery which does such good brews otherwise doesn't excite me with these special releases.

lacqueredmouse, Mar 23, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As you can tell from the scores, I REALLY enjoyed this beer. My usual brew is a good stout or porter (OMG I love Old Engine Oil) or a solid IPA. I occasionally stray into Belgian beers and I'm a big fan of Leffe Brune. So ...

Pours a beautiful reddish colour in a goblet. (An old Chimmay glass).

Head is clean, white and a consistent texture. Doesn't die off quickly either.

Didn't make much note of the smell.

Taste and texture were wonderful. I was tempted to give this a five as a Belgian strong ale. It's been a while, but I guess Salvation is comparable in quality it this has a more fruity flavour from memory.

I will definitely try to get hold of this again. A winner !!

Rwalford74, Mar 19, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a burnished copper colour. Head is thinnish now, but was great, leaving some awesome lace behind. Looks pretty majestic.*

Smells malty - notes of English toffee on there. Funny metallic twang is very strong, almost sour with a wet grain note and undercooked pie crust. Quite austere; can't say I love it.

Taste is very sweet. Lots of dark dried fruit, with raisins, sultans and dried fig. Some sweet spice notes late - cinnamon and crystallised ginger, and ends up just caramelly, almost getting a maple syrup-esque character. Yeah it's a little too sweet for my liking.

Feels a little thin, but there's a bit of a pull on the tongue. Gets better as you keep drinking.

I'm just getting too much sweetness from this. Probably many people would love this beer but it's the sort of palate I personally want to recoil from.

* Note: I was served this blind, pun was completely unintentional.

laituegonflable, Aug 01, 2014
His Majesty 2012 from Yeastie Boys
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.