IPA Citra - The Kernel Brewery

IPA CitraIPA Citra

good

The Kernel Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

(Beer added by: DerBayer on 10-17-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of IPA Citra Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

DerekKetelaars, Apr 22, 2013

NCbeerpirate, Nov 16, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

I had bottles of this about 5-6 times on my recent trip to London. I was very very impressed with this brewery and this beer in particular.

Gorgous blond color. Nice frothy head to this beer.

The nose on this beer is glorious. Grapefruit Oranges and Lemons. The taste matched the nose. Awesome stuff. Not quite as quaffable as some of the other bottles (Galaxy) that I tried but a world class IPA for sure. As good as any American IPA I have ever had. SERIOUSLY!!

tendermorsel, Oct 04, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

whartontallboy, Aug 12, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

atrocity, Jul 21, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

Have been lucky enough to try this, very fresh, quite a few times now and it is probably my favorite IPA FULL STOP. Pours golden with a medim full head that is fairly dense and creamy. Smell is superb! Just one of those beers I find myself smelling over adn over without even tasting and still feeling great about it. Lot's of Citrus zest mostly grapefruit, sticky pine resin and honey and grass as well rounding it out. Taste is much like the smell but a bit rougher and heavier on the pine less so on the citrus. Patate is medium and not as sticky as I thought it would be, but this is an IPA not a DIPA so I guess I should have expected the refreshment that I got rather than the sticky icky I expect from great DiPA's. Overall this is a fantastic IPA from a World Class Brewery which I am lucky enough to live about 1.5 miles away from.

thepeter, Oct 30, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

ellswrth, Jul 20, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

eawolff99, Nov 19, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up at The Kernel Brewery while on vacation in London. Hazy amber-orange pour with fluffy white two finger head with great retention and lacing. The nose is typical Kernel...huge and fresh! Tons of resiny hops along with hints of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, and just a touch of green onion. The taste is just as bold and fresh. Huge bitter, resiny hops hit first, followed by tons of tropical fruits and citrus. Grapefruit, lemon, orange peel, pine, and that signature Citra hoppiness with a solid caramel malt sweetness to balance it out nicely. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, subtle creaminess and slightly oily with a nice bitter, dry finish. Overall this is a killer IPA. I'm a huge fan of Citra hops and this did not disappoint. I don't think The Kernel can make a bad beer. Yet another winner!

beerdrifter, May 30, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

33 cl bottle 7.30% ABV poured into my lost abbey stemware glass !

Pours a pale hazy straw color with almost no head, just a white ring arond the glass. Aroma of strong citrus and floral hops. Flavors of nice bitter hops, citrus, grapefruits, herbs. Nice carboantion, long dry bitterness, grassy finish. Enjoyed the light but sharp hop bitterness. A refreshing and enjoyable brew.
Top class !

beerpirates, Jul 21, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Purchased a bottle from Oddbins in London Bridge. Also talked to the guy at Utobeer in Borough Market who spoke highly about the Kernel's brewmaster.

A: Deep orange, thin head. Quite hazy due to the yeast sediment.

S: A soon as I opened the bottle I got a whiff of hoppy/yeast bitterness on top of tropical fruit and biscuity malt.

T: Pretty much like the smell. Get a kind of woody bitterness and yeast upfront. Followed by grapefruit sweetness of the citra hop balanced out by some malt. Nice lingering hoppy aftertaste.

M: Lightly carbonated and medium bodied.

D: Probably sits somewhere between a session and sitting beer depending on my mood.

Overall I was really impressed with the beer. Probably the best AIPA I've tried from a non-American brewer. Exciting times as I live just down the road.

knq, Jan 31, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

I want to thank Tendermorsel for giving me the heads up on this brewery prior to my recent trip to London. Got to sample one of the APA’s, their new Black Rye IPA and then this Citra IPA.

A thin white head forms and settles rather quickly. The beer is the color of an orange sunset with a touch of amber. Slightly cloudy. Only a splotch or two of lace.

The aroma is absolutely fantastic. It’s juicy and overflowing with tropical fruit. Lot’s of tangerine some papaya and a touch of black pepper.

There is a ton of fruit in the flavor, but what’s interesting is that it’s less sweet than the aroma led me to believe. More subtle black pepper in the flavor. Yes the tangerine is still here and it gives way to a nice/dry bitterness that lingers quite a bit. A moment of toasted bread here that is below the fruit and bitterness. Comes forward a bit more as it warms.

Carbonation heightens the sense of dry here. Not at all astringent, but not sweet. Fairly light body and almost refreshing.

I do prefer this to the APA that I tried. This is the best of the three. Good beer.

Reagan1984, Apr 25, 2012

slaneja, Jan 04, 2014

ceetee26, Oct 12, 2012

Paccamacca, Jul 26, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +1%

One of the best IPAs I have had and not a stroing as some of its competitors.

The smell and palate is very citrussy with grapefruit and a freshly hopped taste strongly dominant.

The mouthfeel is very refreshing withnout being highly carbonated.

The drinkability is very high and this goes down too easy a treat.

DerBayer, Oct 17, 2010
4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tarnished gold with a ribbon of off white froth.
Intoxicating lemon hard candy with herbal and grapefruit zest notes.
Biscuity base with lemon hard candy creeping in along with resin, skunk, and lemon rind hops plus lychee, honeydew and pineapple.
Tangelo finish and loong minty lemonade linger.
Lt-med, round, some chew, crisp.

As much as Citra can be all about grapefruit, this has tropical fruit and also some leafy hops notes that I can ony attribute to the freshness (bottled July 1, so just over 8 weeks old.) If I'd thought of it, I'd have waited to get a bottle of Oakham and drink these together. Regardless, a structured, multifaceted hop master class with a bit of IBU roughness to remind you that they're not kidding.

Kernel can't lose.

StJamesGate, Sep 03, 2013
4.11/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Great IPA, surprisingly original. I love Citra so couldn't resist this. Slightly more on the American side than I was hoping, but if you prefer US IPA's, or like your ales with a little more carbonation, you'll prefer it this way. Theres an interesting tartness in the finish, somewhat akin to raw orange peel, not for me, but very interesting in it's own right and I'm very glad to try it just for this alone.

Overall, exceptional, plenty of hops and bitterness, whilst not being over the top. I'll certainly have this again and would highly recommend it.

John_Henry, Mar 25, 2013
4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Wonderfully lemony and piny both in the nose and on the palate; the head is rich and creamy from the bottle and the flavor is balanced, even for a one-extreme-hop beer. The citra is welcome after weeks of bitter and grassy British hops, and I enjoy the British way of squeezing all the flavor and nuance out of the malt and hops. Well worth the search.

salvo, Jul 18, 2011