IPA Black - The Kernel Brewery

United Kingdom (England)

American Black Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: CanuckRover on 01-16-2011

4.01/5  rDev +1%

Bottle bought direct from the brewery. I've had a few BIPAs from the UK and not been wowed by any of them. The standard for me is Hop in the Dark and, although this beer doesn't beat it- it comes closest by a country mile. Poured into my Hommel Tulip. No UFOs, although I've definitely had some in other Kernel brews. Good dark colour with a slightly tan head. Good fresh hops on the nose and a nice balance in the flavour, with a slightly burned background flavour but with the hops winning out. I'd say this is one to enjoy as fresh as possible to see it at it's best though. (577 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first go at a Black IPA.

Pours a completely opaque dark brown, verging on muddy. Emptied the bottle including a generous helping of UFOs. Nice head retention, but fairly slippery lacings.

Big citrus hops on the nose. Nicely intermingled with milk chocolate and just a touch of coffee bitterness behind.

Very interesting flavour profile. I assume this is par for the course with the style, but the flavours are very tough to pick apart, I hadn't thought the two personalities would meld so well. First impression is citrus and pine from the generous hopping. At some point, hard to tell when, bits of chocolate touch down on the tongue. Fresh bitterness of the hops is gradually replaced with the roasted coffee bitterness you'd expect from a stout. Finish is a combination of the resinous hops and dark coffee.

Very interesting beer. By gut tells me that a tad too much emphasis is on the hops, I feel like the malt barely comes through at all, but, as I said, this is my first of the style, so I could be wrong. (1,028 characters)

IPA Black from The Kernel Brewery