Export India Porter - The Kernel Brewery

Export India PorterExport India Porter

The Kernel Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: AgentMunky on 05-21-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.94/5  rDev -0.3%

facesnorth, Monday at 05:46 AM

500ml Bottle from Good Spirits Co, Glasgow:
Yet another outstanding beer from The Kernel, they never seem to let me down. I wasn't expecting anywhere near as many hops coming through in this one but they proved to be a welcome addition and the beer definitely worked well as a result. It's certainly one of the most hop-filled dark beers I've tried and I wasn't sure how this one would rank alongside some of the lighter IPA's or America pale ales from the brewery but it more than held its own, it's definitely one I'd pick up again as well.

flyingpig, Sep 01, 2014

Schmoog, Jun 12, 2014

digita7693, Jun 10, 2014
3.79/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

500 ml bottle, best before 3 jan 2015. Poured in to a large snifter.

A - jet black almost. With a finger of creamy, tan coloured head. Looks like a Guinness extra stout.

S - smell great. Coffee,chocolate,nuts,cream and a hint of hop in the back.

T - bitter. Espresso,dark chocolate. Tons of roasted flavours. A nice smokey finish A very fair dark fruit/cherry on the finish.

F - thin,but crisp. Nice carbonation.

O - pretty damn good! Very similar to the Guinness extra stout. Perhaps a little pricey for what,to me, is a Guinness replica, but still a nice beer. One improvement however, would be a creamier mouthfeel. This is a wee bit too crisp for my liking, especially in a porter. I think this would go great with a sweet tobacco cigar.

AMack11, May 16, 2014

Texasfan549, Feb 21, 2014

Axnjxn, Feb 12, 2014

truebluebums, Jan 22, 2014

Anatole, Jan 10, 2014

This one drunk soon after the pudding on Christmas Day .

ABV= 5.8%

Very dark brown including the lasting frothy head.

A rich, slight smoked fruitiness to the aroma and then hops (Bramling Cross).

Full flavour. Lots of chocolate then a hit of bitterness at the end.

Medium body.

Merry Christmas.

vinicole, Dec 25, 2013
3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

500ml bottle 5.5%abv. This gyle hopped with centennial and stella. appearance: almost black, thin brown head. smell: floral hop, aniseed, pine. taste: the porter malts reveal themselves, complimented by interestingly different hops. mouthfeel: medium body, texture. overall: cleverly hopped porter.

gutbucket2, Dec 08, 2013

ygtbsm94, Nov 26, 2013

jroof1, Oct 20, 2013
4.16/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Purchased from Etre Gourmet. 330ml bottle, bottled July 9, 2013, best before July 9, 2014. This one uses Motueka, Columbus, and Topaz hops. Pulled from the fridge.

A very dark brown colour, it has a 1 finger of tannish foam and does great with the lacing.

The smell is surprisingly light but what I get is mostly a soft roasted malt aroma with some chocolate. Okay, I pulled it from the fridge so I'll let it warm up some to see or smell what happens.

It's been a half hour now and there's now a nice bit of hop bitterness beginning to show itself.

The hop bitterness is definitely there in the taste. It kind of pushes the roasted malt and chocolate aside but not totally and I'm liking the flavour mix. This particular bottled conditioned bottle says it's 6.0% abv but I'm not going to submit a change as it seems the abvs for their brews are not written in stone.

Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation, it's a nice mouthfeel.

I guess this could be classified as a Black India Ale because of how the hop bitterness dominates, but whatever. This brew is very good!

Bitterbill, Oct 16, 2013
4.19/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

330mL bottle

Thx to Éric Michaud for two bottles of this bad boy.

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

GUSHER ALERT!

APPEARANCE : Pitch black colour with a mocha head. The head starts off excessively huge (as in all-over-your-counter-and-floor-huge) and then settles down to something barely more than a thin layer with a little lacing.

SMELL : First nose is hops and roasted malts. Some vanilla. The hops have a pine quality to them. Second nose releases some herbs and spices, reminiscent of thyme and sage (oh, how I'd see this beer with roasted lamb chops). Third nose has a mocha side with all of the above blended into a very interesting aromatic blob. You're never really sure exactly which element you're smelling, since you're smelling all of them is a surprisingly well balanced way.

TASTE : The taste is where this beer sort of falls short of what is expected. The nose was so interesting, I was expecting a whole lot more. But then I'm a big fan of their 1890 Export Stout, so maybe I'm biased. The hops show a good presence, but the rest of it feels kinda watery, as if the aromas expected from the nose ended up being somewhat diluted. It's all there, but faint, as if hearing music from the other side of an insulated wall. Still very good, though.

MOUTHFEEL : Again, the mouthfeel feels somewhat watery. Not at all what the nose had me ready for.

OVERALL : Defintely a good beer, but in my opinion, not Kernel's best stout/porter. It does have its strong points and its thinner texture and muted flavours can have their charm, but when I feel like having a stout/porter, this is not what I have in mind. When all's said and done, though, it's definitely a good beer. I'd have another any time from my reserve, but I don't think I'd buy more, and I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to get more.

***LITTLE ADJUSTEMENT : This beer has a definite charm of its own and it grows on you. I'll be leaving my review intact but taking the note I've given it up a notch. This is some very, very good stuff once you've gotten into your mind that it's not meant to be as thick and generous as their 1890 Export Stout. I would definitely buy more, and maybe, just maybe I'd go out of my way to get some more. Very pleasantly surprised by how much it grows on you. Very good stuff indeed.

FrostBlast, Sep 28, 2013