Export India Porter - The Kernel Brewery

The Kernel Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  6.30% ABV

Beer added by: AgentMunky on 05-21-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 63 | Reviews: 20
3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

This one drunk soon after the pudding on Christmas Day .

ABV= 5.8%

Very dark brown including the lasting frothy head.

A rich, slight smoked fruitiness to the aroma and then hops (Bramling Cross).

Full flavour. Lots of chocolate then a hit of bitterness at the end.

Medium body.

Merry Christmas.

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

500ml bottle 5.5%abv. This gyle hopped with centennial and stella. appearance: almost black, thin brown head. smell: floral hop, aniseed, pine. taste: the porter malts reveal themselves, complimented by interestingly different hops. mouthfeel: medium body, texture. overall: cleverly hopped porter.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Purchased from Etre Gourmet. 330ml bottle, bottled July 9, 2013, best before July 9, 2014. This one uses Motueka, Columbus, and Topaz hops. Pulled from the fridge.

A very dark brown colour, it has a 1 finger of tannish foam and does great with the lacing.

The smell is surprisingly light but what I get is mostly a soft roasted malt aroma with some chocolate. Okay, I pulled it from the fridge so I'll let it warm up some to see or smell what happens.

It's been a half hour now and there's now a nice bit of hop bitterness beginning to show itself.

The hop bitterness is definitely there in the taste. It kind of pushes the roasted malt and chocolate aside but not totally and I'm liking the flavour mix. This particular bottled conditioned bottle says it's 6.0% abv but I'm not going to submit a change as it seems the abvs for their brews are not written in stone.

Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation, it's a nice mouthfeel.

I guess this could be classified as a Black India Ale because of how the hop bitterness dominates, but whatever. This brew is very good!

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

330mL bottle

Thx to Éric Michaud for two bottles of this bad boy.

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

GUSHER ALERT!

APPEARANCE : Pitch black colour with a mocha head. The head starts off excessively huge (as in all-over-your-counter-and-floor-huge) and then settles down to something barely more than a thin layer with a little lacing.

SMELL : First nose is hops and roasted malts. Some vanilla. The hops have a pine quality to them. Second nose releases some herbs and spices, reminiscent of thyme and sage (oh, how I'd see this beer with roasted lamb chops). Third nose has a mocha side with all of the above blended into a very interesting aromatic blob. You're never really sure exactly which element you're smelling, since you're smelling all of them is a surprisingly well balanced way.

TASTE : The taste is where this beer sort of falls short of what is expected. The nose was so interesting, I was expecting a whole lot more. But then I'm a big fan of their 1890 Export Stout, so maybe I'm biased. The hops show a good presence, but the rest of it feels kinda watery, as if the aromas expected from the nose ended up being somewhat diluted. It's all there, but faint, as if hearing music from the other side of an insulated wall. Still very good, though.

MOUTHFEEL : Again, the mouthfeel feels somewhat watery. Not at all what the nose had me ready for.

OVERALL : Defintely a good beer, but in my opinion, not Kernel's best stout/porter. It does have its strong points and its thinner texture and muted flavours can have their charm, but when I feel like having a stout/porter, this is not what I have in mind. When all's said and done, though, it's definitely a good beer. I'd have another any time from my reserve, but I don't think I'd buy more, and I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to get more.

***LITTLE ADJUSTEMENT : This beer has a definite charm of its own and it grows on you. I'll be leaving my review intact but taking the note I've given it up a notch. This is some very, very good stuff once you've gotten into your mind that it's not meant to be as thick and generous as their 1890 Export Stout. I would definitely buy more, and maybe, just maybe I'd go out of my way to get some more. Very pleasantly surprised by how much it grows on you. Very good stuff indeed.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked this up at The Kernel Brewery while on vacation in London. Deep dark brown, nearly black pour with a creamy caramel-colored two finger head with great retention and lacing. The nose is really roasty with hints of dark chocolate, fresh coffee, cocoa, smoke, and some surprising hoppiness. The taste is bold and roasty with lots of cocoa, toffee, and dark chocolate along with hints of licorice, black coffee, burnt toast, molasses, and some great piney hops. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, thick and chewy, with a dry bitter hop finish. Overall, this reminds me more of a Black IPA than a Porter because of the distinct hop presence. However it's classified, it's another stellar beer from The Kernel.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dark brown with a thick foamy tan head that quickly recedes leaving light streaks of lacing on the glass. Smell is chocolate, nutmeg and light citrus. Taste is mildly bitter chocolate, with some bready notes. Finish is bitter with a coffee aftertaste. Feel is light, creamy and smooth with light carbonation. Overall, this is quite pleasant and well-balanced. Good roasted malt flavor with some nice bitterness from the hops.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Export India Porter from The Kernel Brewery