Archer's Ale - Sherwood Forest Brewers Ltd.

Archer's AleArcher's Ale

good

good

Sherwood Forest Brewers Ltd. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.31% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 12-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Archer's Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 99 | Reviews: 87
4.57/5  rDev +30.9%

Purchased a six pack of cans from Martignetti's. I was very eager to sample this as it was recommended by many on the forum.

Appearance = Pretty poor head and lacing but respectable color of deep golden brown. No light gets through.

Smell = Very sweet, carmel, honey flavor with floral and fruit scents. There's a lot of flavor here. It smells almost like a slightly fermented fruit juice, similar to an apple cidar. Pleasant although it tastes like it's gonna be extrmeely sweet.

Taste = Sweet and syrupy although not unbearably so. Great balance between flavor and lightness, giving it perfect drinkability. I could drink 6 of these without feeling full or overwhelmed. Taste grows on you and gets better with each sip. Carmel, malt, bready yeast without much a strong hop presence but I still enjoy this taste a lot.

Overall = The best beer I've ever had in a can. Nothing to knock your socks off but an extremely tasty and highly drinkable beer. Recommended to bring to a party as you might convert a few macro swill drinkers.

4.36/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

pours a deep copper color with a off white three finger head that holds to a quarter inch with some fair lacing. smell is faint of caramel with a hint of chocolate. taste is of chocolate, dark caramel, fresh coffee, slightly sweet. mouthfeel light, very smooth with a medium carbonation. very drinkable, good session beer.

4.3/5  rDev +23.2%

Cool looking bottle aside, I thoroughly enjoyed this ale. It's brownish/red, opaque, with a nice foamy head and lacing and some malt and barley scent.

It's nicely carbonated and has a very nutty, malt taste. It has a kind of peach aftertaste to it with a slight bitterness. Good flavoring. Excellent, refreshing brew.

4.23/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A-beige head, thins quickly,slightly cloudy, mahogany body

S-citrus, grapefruit front, grassy

T-juicy citrus front, nice smack of malt in the middle, very nut-like. significant bitter finish

M-medium

D-I've been waiting to try this beer for awhile. I wish the distribution of this beer was greater. I would certainly have this in the fridge on a regular basis. Tasty brew. This was great with Mexican food but it could certainly pull double duty as a session beer as well.

4.22/5  rDev +20.9%

Served at just over fridge temperature in the optimal Sam Adams Boston Lager glass, the month of September is notched on the label. Now available in the NYC area.

Appearance- Rich and deep amber, this ale supports a thick, rugged light beige head that has impressive resilience. After a few minutes, it's still complete but thin; lacing is moderate and clings in long, broken islands.

Smell- Bready, malty sweet aromas of caramel and brisk hops infiltrate the nose in abundance. There's plenty to take in, and I love the clean, balanced execution.

Taste- This is a terrific example of a domestic English style session beer that's full of character, taste, and smoothness. The bold, yet balanced ingredients come together and harmoniously dance in the mouth and continue through the swallow. Bready, malty, and sweet with a mellow hop finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Subtle and gently carbonated, this is definitely one of the easiest drinking beers I've had recently. It's a solid choice for a session beer that really delivers in the flavor department and overall balance. I would love to pair this with fish & chips with some malt vinegar for dipping.

4.21/5  rDev +20.6%

I met the owner of Sherwood Forest Brewering the other day and was very impressed. He was very passionate about his beer and the story about how he got started and how his beer grew into what it is today. I owed it to the man to try this beer and greatly enjoyed it myself. It pours a great color with a head that stays throughout the beer. There is not a lack of smell, but a great strong taste. Not many pale ales have such a strong taste and I greatly enjoyed this. The mouthfeel was perfect and I could drink these all day. Even though this beer falls under the American Pale Ale category, the beer is made with ingredients from England and tastes more like an English Pale Ale. Given my druthers, I would drink one of these over a Bass any day!

4.2/5  rDev +20.3%

This beer pours a nice amber color from the bottle with a thick and lacy off-white head. It had an aroma of some nice roasted malts and a definitive hoppy aroma that wasn't too strong, but it was certainly there. The taste was good. It has a nice malty base followed by a hoppy kick that is just right followed by a sweet finish. The mouthfeel was good and it was a very drinkable beer as I could have easiy had a few of these. Well worth the try but it is somewhat hard to find in my area.

4.17/5  rDev +19.5%

I was really impressed by a micro that came in a can and I cannot say that I was disappointed, either. It poured with evidence of great carbonation, resulting in a thick head and lots of effervescence. The color was dark amber with a reddish hue and a small amount of brown. It was a beer that was heavy on the malt, as evidenced by a hazlenut/chestnut nuttiness on the nose. It had a light mouthfeel, but a strong, sweet finish. This is one that I would reach for again, especially if I were going camping, where glass is a no-no.

4.15/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: minimal head, moderate carbonation, redish-brown in color, clear

Smell: toasted malt, brown sugar, hops

Taste: toasted malt, cocoa, small hops, and nut--maybe peanut

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, semi-sweet with slightly bitter parts, robust, medium-high carbonation

Drinkability: What a pleasant surprise. This is an APA with more of a brown ale/porter feel. It is very complex for the style. Very enjoyable and sippable, I could session this.

4.08/5  rDev +16.9%

At Boston Logan airport.
Served a deep amber with a nice white head. Big mouthfeel. A nice sweet maalt thing going on. Kinda chewy. Well balanced with a touch of butter. The best beer I've ever had on tap at an airport in the USA. I'm looking forward to tasting this beer in a can.

I read the label and saw Sherwood Forest Brewing Company. This led me to believe I was trying an English Ale. (You know, Sherwood Forest, Robin Hood, King of England, all that.) Halfway through the beer, and upon further inspection, I was shocked to find out that it is brewed in my own state. I was both excited, and upset that I had no idea about this.

Back to the beer. Good looking pour, somewhere between amber and copper. Very light head, but strong enough to leave a lacing on the glass throughout the whole beer. This is one of the best ales I've had in a while. Not too overpowering or bitter, but enough taste to leave most other ales in the dust. I wish more bars carried this, because most of the ales I have had on tap lately, don't compare.

I am still embarassed to learn that it is brewed in Mass. and I had never heard of it, but I will be looking into any other styles they brew, and asking my trusted "Beer Man" what he knows about them.

Greybeerd recommended this one for me when I needed a canned beer option and I liked it enough to buy it again. It pours apricot/peach/amber and I have to say orange. This beer is orange like the can itself. Syracuse people must love it.

Very little head, no carbonation to speak of and not much lace either. This doesn't matter really cuz right away you know it is gonna taste like it smells; which is very malty with some fairly strong alcohol esters. It does smell nice and clean and fresh. Has that malt with an open-field alfalfa and clover- grassy type of taste. It sure doesn't taste like a typical canned beer. It has a dry bubbly finish. Mouthfeel is a tad too sticky but the drinkabilty is excellent. I had 6 of these one afternoon at horse heaven and could have easily had a couple more.

3.98/5  rDev +14%

Great session beer.

I was seriously skeptical due to it being in a can, but I think that this was one of the things that led me to it.

Poured smoothly from the can with a somewhat amber/caramel color. The top soon eased into the fairly firm, pock-marked head that is one of my first tests of a good beer.

Smell was stronger on the malt side, but with a significant hop presence. I didn't detect any of the tinny smell I was expecting to have formed in the can.

Mouthfeel was smooth - almost English bitter, but with enough carbination to keep it interesting. Again, I didn't detect any problems arising from it being in the can. Overall there was a stronger malt presence than the average beer, but this did not overwealm what I thought was a good level of hop bitterness.

This is a beer I'm bringing out at parties. Great drinkability and a talking point at that.

3.97/5  rDev +13.8%

Re; "This was seriously more like a brown ale, the style is a bit off. I enjoyed this beer, but it's a strange pale ale."

I had this ale when it was first released at a beer tasting in Sturbridge, MA. I'm not surprised some here find it off-style. The brewer I spoke with, I believe he told me he was one of the brewers, who was serving the samples, told me it was an "English Mild." I remember telling him it seemed "on-style" at the time. It didn't taste at all like an American Pale. It had more of an accent on the malt, little hop at all and seemed mildly complex for a lighter version of a more malt focused ale, as a Mild should be. Unfortunately we're talking a couple years ago so, as of now, that's the best I can do.

3.97/5  rDev +13.8%

Just had a small sampling of this out of a can. That’s right, a can. I have no idea how old or new this was, but I really liked it. Found the taste to be extremely well balanced and very drinkable. As good as (if not better than) Dale’s for a nice USA canned micro. Well done.

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from the can into a pint glass... initially well chilled, then allowed to warm a little and breathe. This was a nice red-amber, almost copper ale with a half finger head that slowly subsided to a thin film with a slight rim.

The aroma was full and malty, with loads of caramel, and a Cascade-like hop scent.

Taste was surprising. There was a slight roasted character to the full malt body. Hops were secondary, and gave a trace of lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel was a tad thin, but this is a very drinkable beer.

3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer has a full bodied New England early fall freshness. Well formed blend of light hoppy taste. Almost a light English style ale. Color strikes you as you pour your first glass. Great starter beer for those who want to ween off the basics that a package store might offer.

3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

This brew pours almost red instead of amber. Intrigued, I put the glass to my nose and smelled a wonderful maltiness. With my first sip, I was very pleased that this beer had a smoothness I had not expected. It goes down very easy, but didn't have a lot of aftertaste. I would recommend this beer to all who are looking for an easy going local micro. I enjoy the over-the-top hopped up brews as well (from local guys and west-coast), but sometimes it's good to take it easy for a night. Also available in cans, I hear.

3.92/5  rDev +12.3%

appearance - Amber brown color, weak head, and lace.

smell - Sweet fuity malty smell.

taste - Nice balance, has a sweetness of malt but you can taste the hops at the end of the taste.

mouthfeel - light body.

drinkability - Have had this before, and decided to pick up again. Easy drinking beer. Cheap priced craft beer with a good taste.

3.91/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer was great snapping cold. I enjoy the rich color and taste. It has a very mellow, smooth mouthfeel. I find even not very experienced beer drinkers enjoy the Archer Ale. One thing this ale does have for it is drinkablilty. Refreshing and Delicious.

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Solid brown color. Looks much closer to a brown ale than a pale ale. Off-white (tan) head thin ring lace on the glass.

Classic English brown ale aroma--some powdered cocoa, a little chalkiness, light hop.

What's the phrase? If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...I'm declaring this to be a decent offering in the English Brown Ale category, regardless of the label ("English Style Pale Ale"). The taste mimics the smell with a thinner body than expected. Add to this a slightly sour swallow, almost too mild to note. Easy to consume.

3.89/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer is starting to grow on me a bit, and insinuate itself into my good graces. I was expecting more of a British bitter, and that it is not. An APA is much more like it, so I have no qualms with the designation offered by BA. The pour is copper and amber, with no real head, and what there is fizzled out quickly and left a slight ring around the glass. The lacing is non existent as well. The smell is caramel, malts, some metallic notes, and some buttery aromas. This is a fairly light to medium bodied beer with some carbonation and a mouthfeel that is more creamy than watery. The taste is interesting in that you begin with sweet malts, some tea flavors, some caramel and this segues in a more dryish hoppy ale, with a touch of spice. The after taste is mild and although the ABV isn't listed, I would venture to say somewhere in the vicinity of a 5%. The more I drink of this stuff, the more I'm appreciating it. You can drink quite of few of these, and it's worth seeking out, so long as you approach it with no misconceptions. As one reviewer mentioned, this is an unknown MA brew and I haven't heard anything about this brewery. It's worth investigating though. L'Chaim.

Update December 2008: I'm adding a some points to the beer. I'm appreciating the complementary bready malts, the buttery diacetyl, the traditional slightly bittering hop, the nice smooth caramel taste, and what I think is ringwood yeast.

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Light brown in color with plenty of head retention. Medium in body and goes down nice and smooth. Not very hoppy, but enough hop character for its style. An easy beer to make an afternoon of drinking. Bread-like after taste and a bit nutty. A reasonably priced beer at 8.99 a six-pack.

3.82/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz can from a 6-pack from Yankee Spirits, MA.

Poured into a pint glass, formed a 1" light tan head on top of a dark amber brew. Pleasant, yeasty aroma, not usually an attribute found in can beer. Lacing is almost non-existent, and the head was quickly reduced to noithing but a string of bubbles around the rim of the surface of the brew. Taste is quite malty, with enough hops bitterness to round out the flavor rather well. Mouthfeel is good, even with a bit of a bitter aftertaste that seems like it doesn't belong. Drinkability is excellent, as this last can (of the 12 I bought, which were mostly consumed over the weekend at a glass-unfriendly fairgrounds) can attest. Best canned beer I have had.

3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz can. No freshness date.
It pours an orange-hued amber color with a medium-sized off-white head and some sticking and trailing lacing.
A sweet malty aroma is released at first pour, but fades rather quickly. A light smell of hay and metallic hops remains.
A doughy bread sweet malt taste is easy to notice. A metallic copper tang is slightly edgy in the back of the throat. A light taste of sweet limes lingers pleasantly in the background.
Nice beer for camping/boating/beach/disc golf or mowing the lawn.

Archer's Ale from Sherwood Forest Brewers Ltd.