Archer's Ale | Sherwood Forest Brewers Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Archer's AleArcher's Ale

Sherwood Forest Brewers Ltd.
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by UnionMade on 12-12-2001

Reviews: 87 | Ratings: 99
3.65/5  rDev +5.2%

I had this on draft in a restaurant and really enjoyed it so I decided to pick up a sixer. Pours a clear deep amber color with a decent head. Smell is malty with a bit of hops peeking through. Taste is big malt with an ample spattering of hops to lend a nice balance. The problem I had with it, and it may just be this batch is that the diacetyl seems out of control and lends an overpowering butterscotch flavor to the beer that lingers on the palate. This was definitely not present in the one I had on draft. If it weren't for the butterscotch flavor, I'd enjoy this a lot more.

3.91/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer was great snapping cold. I enjoy the rich color and taste. It has a very mellow, smooth mouthfeel. I find even not very experienced beer drinkers enjoy the Archer Ale. One thing this ale does have for it is drinkablilty. Refreshing and Delicious.

3.08/5  rDev -11.2%

Another one I received as an extra recently and decided to crack open last night and give it a try. I had another from them recently and it was ok, so I was hoping that they would step it up a little bit here to be honest, but we shall see. The 12oz bottle was poured into a pint glass straight out of the fridge. The crystal clear, orange tinted, amber color was evident from the first drops to hit the glass. Nice head of off white foam last a few seconds before trailing off into nothing, but it did leave some nice side glass in its wake, with a good carbonation profile, this one was looking fairly decent.

The aroma was heavy on the malts, which for a pale was al little shocking, but that's alright. Very earthy characteristic to it, with some caramel hints and a lot of grassy and grain like flavors in it as well. However, it was very light. The flavor came off to me a bit bland if I am being honest, there was just nothing to really push it through and make it come across as something I would want to get again. Decent malt profile, with a touch of bittering hops, but to be honest just nothing special here. The finish was a touch oily with a lingering taste of musty bread. Weird Mouthfeel, was a bit slick and at the same time decently carbonated, odd, but not bad. It was fairly session able, just do not know if I would want to based on the lack of depth in it.

Overall it was ok, but was just a little to bland for me. I think I will probably pass on having another one. This one was enough for me, maybe its better on tap.

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear, amber body with a bubbly white head.

Smell: Simple aroma of pale and caramel malts with some notes of herbs and spice.

Taste: Pale malts with a slight caramel hint. Herb, spicy hop flavors with a mild cleansing bitterness. A grassy herbaceousness lingers into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A fine, easy-drinking English-esque Pale Ale in a can.

3.27/5  rDev -5.8%

this beer poured a clear light brown color with a wonderful head. my biggest question is, WHO STOLE THE SMELL IN THIS BEER? it's actually non-existant. perhaps it smells like a loaf of store bought white bread with the crust cut off, nothing there... otherwise, this is a pretty good beer. taste is nice and balanced and it goes down easy.

3.39/5  rDev -2.3%

This is a fairly clear brown beer with a decent head - light lacing. There is a faint smell of malt, but it isn't strong. The taste is malty, but there is enough hops for a good balance. The flavors work well. The mouthfeel is medium and fall in line with the taste. I think this would be an excellent session brew.

4.2/5  rDev +21%

This beer pours a nice amber color from the bottle with a thick and lacy off-white head. It had an aroma of some nice roasted malts and a definitive hoppy aroma that wasn't too strong, but it was certainly there. The taste was good. It has a nice malty base followed by a hoppy kick that is just right followed by a sweet finish. The mouthfeel was good and it was a very drinkable beer as I could have easiy had a few of these. Well worth the try but it is somewhat hard to find in my area.

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Presentation: 12 oz. brown bottle, no dating of any kind, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear orange-amber color, carbonation rising inside. the head formed small and faded into some lacing.

Aroma: Biscuity malts, light hoppiness, not too strong but pleasant.

Taste: Light biscuit flavors up front. Some citrus and mediney hops come through in the middle, and blend with the malts in the finish, with the citrus hops winning out and lingering nicely.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, fairly smooth and crisp. The carbonation balanced nicely as well.

Overall: I'm proud to say this is brewed in my hometown of Marlborough, MA (or maybe was, I think they're contract brewed now). Still, very enjoyable American Pale Ale.

3.62/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 12-ounce longneck into a Harpoon UFO pilsner glass:

A: Poured a clean and clear looking light amber-orange with a creamy half-finger head of white foam. The lacing was about average.

S: There was a nice shot of sweet, caramel malts in the nose right away, leading way to some biscuity malts and a faint hop twinge.

T: Taste is sweet, clean malts, with a slight buttery biscuit flavor and an above average representation of hops for the style. I was surprised by the pronounced hop flavor, and was pleased by how it balanced the initial sweet maltiness.

M: It's a light bodied ale that satisfies in the taste department, and leaves a bit of oily, piney hop residue.

D: It's not overwhelming in taste, but it's above average in the right departments: taste and drinkability. It's a nice session brew and a great find on-tap, I'm sure.

A slightly above average, but well overdone representation for the style overall. A nice beer to have on hand for people who would normally reach for a Sam Adams, but might expect something similar from a different brewer.

3.89/5  rDev +12.1%

This beer is starting to grow on me a bit, and insinuate itself into my good graces. I was expecting more of a British bitter, and that it is not. An APA is much more like it, so I have no qualms with the designation offered by BA. The pour is copper and amber, with no real head, and what there is fizzled out quickly and left a slight ring around the glass. The lacing is non existent as well. The smell is caramel, malts, some metallic notes, and some buttery aromas. This is a fairly light to medium bodied beer with some carbonation and a mouthfeel that is more creamy than watery. The taste is interesting in that you begin with sweet malts, some tea flavors, some caramel and this segues in a more dryish hoppy ale, with a touch of spice. The after taste is mild and although the ABV isn't listed, I would venture to say somewhere in the vicinity of a 5%. The more I drink of this stuff, the more I'm appreciating it. You can drink quite of few of these, and it's worth seeking out, so long as you approach it with no misconceptions. As one reviewer mentioned, this is an unknown MA brew and I haven't heard anything about this brewery. It's worth investigating though. L'Chaim.

Update December 2008: I'm adding a some points to the beer. I'm appreciating the complementary bready malts, the buttery diacetyl, the traditional slightly bittering hop, the nice smooth caramel taste, and what I think is ringwood yeast.

I read the label and saw Sherwood Forest Brewing Company. This led me to believe I was trying an English Ale. (You know, Sherwood Forest, Robin Hood, King of England, all that.) Halfway through the beer, and upon further inspection, I was shocked to find out that it is brewed in my own state. I was both excited, and upset that I had no idea about this.

Back to the beer. Good looking pour, somewhere between amber and copper. Very light head, but strong enough to leave a lacing on the glass throughout the whole beer. This is one of the best ales I've had in a while. Not too overpowering or bitter, but enough taste to leave most other ales in the dust. I wish more bars carried this, because most of the ales I have had on tap lately, don't compare.

I am still embarassed to learn that it is brewed in Mass. and I had never heard of it, but I will be looking into any other styles they brew, and asking my trusted "Beer Man" what he knows about them.

4.21/5  rDev +21.3%

I met the owner of Sherwood Forest Brewering the other day and was very impressed. He was very passionate about his beer and the story about how he got started and how his beer grew into what it is today. I owed it to the man to try this beer and greatly enjoyed it myself. It pours a great color with a head that stays throughout the beer. There is not a lack of smell, but a great strong taste. Not many pale ales have such a strong taste and I greatly enjoyed this. The mouthfeel was perfect and I could drink these all day. Even though this beer falls under the American Pale Ale category, the beer is made with ingredients from England and tastes more like an English Pale Ale. Given my druthers, I would drink one of these over a Bass any day!

3.3/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a perfect amber hue with good clarity and a creamy, long-lasting head. Aromas are of grainy, medium-toast malts with an orange marmalade element, alongside some metallic hop notes and a pleasant creaminess. On the palate, huge carbonation and a front that comes up bitter at first with little in the way of a malt backing. Some astringency to the malt, especially in the watery finish. Bitterness throughout is less rounded than anticipated. Mouthfeel is overcarbonated and thin on the malt side, with some slight, watery hop feel. Overall, this beer is a disappointment once it hits the mouth. The aroma is quite good, but nothing works together on the palate, what with the thin malts and anemic hops. Oh well, it was a nice start.

4.36/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

pours a deep copper color with a off white three finger head that holds to a quarter inch with some fair lacing. smell is faint of caramel with a hint of chocolate. taste is of chocolate, dark caramel, fresh coffee, slightly sweet. mouthfeel light, very smooth with a medium carbonation. very drinkable, good session beer.

3.92/5  rDev +13%

appearance - Amber brown color, weak head, and lace.

smell - Sweet fuity malty smell.

taste - Nice balance, has a sweetness of malt but you can taste the hops at the end of the taste.

mouthfeel - light body.

drinkability - Have had this before, and decided to pick up again. Easy drinking beer. Cheap priced craft beer with a good taste.

3.63/5  rDev +4.6%

this offering comes off as a wierd pale ale, just dosnt taste like a pale, more like a light brown ale w/a touch of hops. not to much on the smell,a little malty, a little smokey, w slight hop. not much of a head on the pour, minimal lacing down the glass. this beer makes a good meal beer kinda light so you can drink a few, wouldnt go out of my way to find it.

2.58/5  rDev -25.6%

Originally reviewed on May 22, 2006. On tap at Julios Spring Beer Festival. No aroma. Pour of clear deep amber, with an off-white head. Light sweet phenolic flavor with a huske of bitter oaken fringe and tannin tartness. Drinkable, at least, but really not much character.

3.43/5  rDev -1.2%

On tap.

Served in a pint glass. Copper/amber hue with a thin head that barely covered the surface before dissipating (but it did leave some lacing). Smell was malty, primarily caramel notes. Taste was malty sweet, balanced by a hoppy finish. Crisply carbonated and very drinkable.

Not a great ale by any stretch of the imagination, but not bad either. Goes nicely with a meal and would make a good sessoin beer. I'd certainly order it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to look for it either.

3.21/5  rDev -7.5%

Draught @ Ct River Brew Fest: This one poured a dark amber color. There was a fairly decent off-white head with some lacing. There was some maltiness to the aroma, which was good but a bit thin. The taste was along similar lines. Some maltiness with a touch of bitterness. Certainly not a great beer, but still a decent session beer.

3.12/5  rDev -10.1%

A decent try at a pale ale. pured a reddish amber color with a small thin head. Could definetly get the smell of malts and hops but it really didnt work into the overall taste. Taste was slightly malty, could not really taste the hops. OVerall not a bad beer though, would try again in bottle.

3.93/5  rDev +13.3%

This beer has a full bodied New England early fall freshness. Well formed blend of light hoppy taste. Almost a light English style ale. Color strikes you as you pour your first glass. Great starter beer for those who want to ween off the basics that a package store might offer.

3.68/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance - pours a reddish orange iced tea color. A solid finger of flat white foam, on the creamy side, with good lacing.

Aroma - English malts, light toasty and sweet nuances.

Taste - some moderate grain up front, lightly toasted and a touch of diacetyl. A hint of metallic in the background mostly, not too distracting thanks to some good balancing hops. The swallow brings out the hopped side of the beer, mild though it may be, leaving some roasted malt out there as well. Finishess slightly bitter and roasty, nice.

Mouthfeel - rather highly carbonated, almost gives it a salty kind of flavor at times. On the lighter side of average, overall not the best area of the beer.

Drinkability - plenty of malt and hop flavor for a worthy session pick. Sampled courtesy of a beer trade with beachbum.

3.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

aa hazy copper penny color with a big white head that stays throughout the entire beer. Nice belgian lace. Malty roma, spicy (Cinnamon?), biscuity. Taste is malt. a little hop bitterness, light body with good carbonation for the style. This is a nice drinkable ale.

3.65/5  rDev +5.2%

On-tap at Texas Longhorn Steakhouse in North Attleboro, MA, served in a 25oz. mug glass.

A: The beer is light brown, with a thick foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is quite malty with notes of nuts, honey, caramel and a little hops.

T: The flavor is a bit sweet and is dominated by caramelized malt, nuts, tea and a touch of hops (which comes out slightly more as the beer warms).

M: Smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: It’s tasty, but lacks a decent kick and could fill you up a bit. This wouldn’t be my first choice, unless there were no other micros available and the only other choices were from BMC.

3.97/5  rDev +14.4%

Re; "This was seriously more like a brown ale, the style is a bit off. I enjoyed this beer, but it's a strange pale ale."

I had this ale when it was first released at a beer tasting in Sturbridge, MA. I'm not surprised some here find it off-style. The brewer I spoke with, I believe he told me he was one of the brewers, who was serving the samples, told me it was an "English Mild." I remember telling him it seemed "on-style" at the time. It didn't taste at all like an American Pale. It had more of an accent on the malt, little hop at all and seemed mildly complex for a lighter version of a more malt focused ale, as a Mild should be. Unfortunately we're talking a couple years ago so, as of now, that's the best I can do.

Archer's Ale from Sherwood Forest Brewers Ltd.