Join our email list →

Archer's Ale - Sherwood Forest Brewers Ltd.

Archer's AleArcher's Ale

good

good

Sherwood Forest Brewers Ltd.
Massachusetts, United States | website

English Pale Ale | 5.31% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 12-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Archer's Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.82/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz can from a 6-pack from Yankee Spirits, MA.

Poured into a pint glass, formed a 1" light tan head on top of a dark amber brew. Pleasant, yeasty aroma, not usually an attribute found in can beer. Lacing is almost non-existent, and the head was quickly reduced to noithing but a string of bubbles around the rim of the surface of the brew. Taste is quite malty, with enough hops bitterness to round out the flavor rather well. Mouthfeel is good, even with a bit of a bitter aftertaste that seems like it doesn't belong. Drinkability is excellent, as this last can (of the 12 I bought, which were mostly consumed over the weekend at a glass-unfriendly fairgrounds) can attest. Best canned beer I have had.

3.97/5  rDev +14.4%

Just had a small sampling of this out of a can. That’s right, a can. I have no idea how old or new this was, but I really liked it. Found the taste to be extremely well balanced and very drinkable. As good as (if not better than) Dale’s for a nice USA canned micro. Well done.

3.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a red-gold with a two finger foamy light tan head, leaves temporary webs of lace.
Fruity-caramel apple aroma, not much hops evident in the aroma - a bit of a earthy note, but I had to search for it.
Caramel, fruity, citrus, herbal notes on a very sweet malt base. Struck me as some sort of apple pastry. A bit of toffee, and another fruit flavor I couldn't identify.
Medium feel, a bit too thin, fruit pit bitterness.
Not great but I'd get it again, because it's better than any macro in a can.

3.2/5  rDev -7.8%

Deep Copper colored ale in a can. A great beer for a cool evening on the boat. No glass allowed!

I have always liked Archer's Ale from the bottle days from The Concorde Brewery.

Although the aroma lacks much depth, it offers a quite pleasant smell of toasted nuts and caramel.

The taste is slightly sweet with notes of brown sugar.
The mouthfeel is a bit sticky, without being cloying
The beer finishes a little sweet for my taste, but seems deliberate.

I am proud to have this as a local offering.

I enjoyed it straight from the can while doing yard work.
This is recommended

3.72/5  rDev +7.2%

An interesting micro development...beer in a non-nitro can! Not a bad offering either. Appearance was coppery amber with a small head. Smell was very malty and rounded. Taste started out sweet, with a hint of carbonation and finished with a light hop finish. Mouthfeel was medium-bodied with a sligh slickness. Drinkability was very good and was smooth and rounded.

3.06/5  rDev -11.8%

Nice clean dark amber body with a good sized head of light tan foam that leaves some lace. The malt aroma is overpowered by a strong grainy ( almost like dog biscuits ) smell. A little malt sweetness at the tip of the tongue followed by an easy bitterness at the back of the throat. Nothing special about the taste . But I feel it would be a good session beer during the summer because of being packaged in cans.

3.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Presentation: 12 oz can with no freshness date, $6.39 a six pack at Kappy’s in Saugus.

Appearance: Short head yields a sheet of lace that seems to hold together pretty well. Bright chestnut amber hue.

Smell: Big whiff of caramel malt, almost steely. Quick pass of hops and a soft touch of buttery diacetyl.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Real smooth with a semi-slick malty mouth feel. Vague resiny hop flavor within the balancing bitterness. Very light on the ale fruitiness and diacetyl. Toasted malt caresses the taste buds and leaves a lingering bread flavor in the some what sweet finish.

Notes: Craft beer in a can, who would have thought? A good session beer with having the advantages of being canned. Hell, the major airlines need to carry this beer!

3.78/5  rDev +8.9%

Am I the first to be reviewing the can version?

Sampled @ cellar temp. A somewhat rigorous pour produced a formidable, pillowy white head. It didn't last long but left behaind some lacing. The color is a clear reddish-brown and sparse bubbles scurry up from the goblet's bottom. Aroma is more malty and sweet than I would have suspected. Mouthfeel is only slightly carbonated, syrupy and bordering on heavy. Taste is an upfont malty, caramel followed by the mild hoppiness afterward. Slight medicinal cherry in there as well.

Overall, this is an above average New England ale, but I think I would have preferred it chilled in a mountain stream while I was camping. And I don't like camping, but it just seems like the perfect traveling beer if I did-- much more than you expect out of a can.

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%

Head very light in color and recedes quickly. It does not however, go away completely, as the small bubbles pillowed on the larger bubbles stick around. Ale itself is lighter in color than I would expect for a pale.

Taste is subtle with neither malt nor hop dominating. Starts dry, but a lingering malt sweetness catches up with the drinker at mid-bottle. My guess for abv would be lower than my standard pales; there is no alcoholic "kick" to this ale. So I give it a great drinkability rating. Not stellar, but nothing off. Perfect for when you know you'll be having more than one. I also would have to admit that it's good for when there's no food around: I'd hate to think of its qualities being bowled over by barbecue sauce.

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light copper color with little to no head, also no trace of lace either. The smeel of hops is there but to strong. Taste a sweeter malt in this with a hint of caramel, or something toasted. The bittering hops are not to bitter. This is an ok beer but I would not give it to high of a score.

1.28/5  rDev -63.1%

Again, I am not in the business of bashing any beer, but I cant help it here.
I bought the sixer at Macy's in West Roxbury because I collect bottles and I liked this one.
When I cracked it, the color was a lite reddish color.Very nice.
But the smell..It smelled like Chef Boy r Dee sauce..Nasty!
I took about 10 total sips, each more painful then the last.
The smell truely ruins the taste..
If you like bottles, go for one of these. If you like beer, get a Sam Adams Oktoberfest!
Happy Drinking!

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%

Nice amber coloring with a frothy off-white head. Bready, malty aromas. Carbonation is mild and doesn't get in the way. Not very complex, but nicely balanced, considering how malty the nose is. A better-than-average ale.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Archer's Ale from Sherwood Forest Brewers Ltd.