Crazy Mountain Amber Ale - Crazy Mountain Brewing Company

good

Crazy Mountain Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.25% ABV

(Beer added by: birchstick on 07-30-2010)
2.3/5  rDev -34.3%

I picked up a sixer of this because the description led me to believe it was hoppy. It was not. Total waste of $9. Reddish amber color, decent lace, looks pretty good. The smell is malts and buttered popcorn, uh-oh. The flavor was more malts dripping with butter. I'm no brewer but I've been told this buttered popcorn flavor is diacetyl and I can't stand it. I'd try this again on tap but I won't be buying any more cans, yuck.

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

3.78/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tawny with impressively stiff (can pour) creamy off white head.
Nutty brown toast and Cascade citrus/pine on the nose.
Big caramel Crystal hit and pleasant waxy lemon rind hop hit.
Toffee finish and orange peel linger.
Light side of medium, some chew, creamy.

Perfectly sessionable amber. Not ground breaking, but buy it by the case in the summer. Good citrus aroma hop hit, fitting for an APA. Cloys a bit when it warms, though; keep it cold.

Had on-tap at the Blue Moose in Vail, CO

A - pours an amber color without much head

S - biscuity malts dominate the nose, without much else going on

T - the taste follows the nose. The biscuity malts are the most dominate flavor; the malts are balanced by some grassy hops

M - full bodied that goes down nicely

D - This tastes awfully similar to fat tire, but the biscuity malts are a tad bit sweeter and the hops a little bit more noticeable. Pretty enjoyable amber ale. I would definitely get this again if I am in the area.

3.36/5  rDev -4%

12 oz can poured into snifter. Appears a nice deep amber hue with nice clarity, heavy white head and tons of lacing. The nose features herbal hops, heavy cereal grain, caramel, and a bit of pine. Taste is uneventful, some hops, some malt, but nothing really stands out. The bitterness is on the light to moderate side and the finish presents a bit of a black tea flavor. Mouthfeel is on par for style, but the taste really isn't. Unfortunately there is no way for me to tell if this is an old can, but as it is, it is a run of the mill amber.

3.98/5  rDev +13.7%

Another Colorado beer in a can. Picked this one up yesterday at Liquor Mart in Boulder. Poured a darkish amber color with a little white head. Aromas of biscuit and more hops than I expected. On the palate, this one is light to medium bodied, with biscuits and floral hops.

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

I popped the can open and beer and foam came flying out. Not sure if it was user error or not... Anyway, lots of foam on a cloudy, medium straw colored body.
The aroma is a dull citrus smell with some hay thrown in.
The taste has a good malt backbone with only a mild sweetness. Pine bitterness to end. Enjoyable.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
Besides the exploding can, I thought this was a fine drink.

3.85/5  rDev +10%

Picked up a sixer from Ski Haus Liquors last Friday for $8.99.

Beer poured copper with a solid white head that is leaving lacing behind.

Nose is slight grainy malts and a hint of floral hops.

Taste is toasted malts and fresh floral hops. Finish reminds me of Fat Tire.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, moderately carbonated, and refreshing.

Overall a very solid refreshing beer that is perfect for a tailgate!

3.35/5  rDev -4.3%

Crazy Mountain Amber pours a straight amber with a light haze. A small eggshell head falls fairly quickly to a thin film and leaves a bit of lace.

This is a pretty basic amber. Bittersweet toffee and toasted bread provide the malt backbone. The hop character is mild and carries the citrus bite I expect from American hop varieties. The citrus carries through the finish, while the malts fade away. The beer gets a hint metallic at the very end. A light and slightly dry body rounds out the experience.

Overall, this is an OK beer. There are more exciting amber ales out there, but this was worth the pickup.

3.34/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A- Medium copper. Big carbonation bubbles. Big head fades pretty face.
S- Sweet dough, a bit steely, and an odd but refreshing herbal aroma.
T- Too much of that herbalness here. I don't particularly think that is well placed here. That said, I like the sweet, doughy, ever so slightly toasty malt profile.
M- A little light in the body, and I found it to be kind of flat.
O- Passable, but not great. Would drink again, but won't seek out.

3.65/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Honey-biscuit aroma rises up from a solid gold body. The head appears thin yet persistent and leaves spotty patches of foam on the glass. Not much carbonation rising from the glass. Getting back to the aroma: rich and grainy and infused with a light floral hop background. The taste is rich and flavorful, emphasizing the biscuit and caramel grain notes. And despite the can's labeling, there is a light yet not overpowering hop bitterness midway through the sip and hanging on through the finish.

This makes the grade as a quality, journeyman-quality amber ale. Nothing distinctive per se, but fits the style, goes down easily, and is definitely worth repeat visits.

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Picked up a sixer of cans today, my first time seeing this. Eye catching colors design, the designer really nailed it as far as distinguishing the product on the shelf. This might be the first beer can to use the royal blue/lime green combo, which is always a winner. Caught my eye right away. Enough about how much I like the packaging, though.
I will say that I bought this mainly because it was a new beer from a new brewery I'd never heard of. Part of it was certainly my desire to add one of the empties to my can collection. I do have to say that none of it was because this beer was an amber ale. I'm pretty bored of the style, but hopefully I can review this objectively.
Pours a fairly deep, reddish hue. Maybe a little darker than average, with a short, durable head forming on the pour, lasting unusually long before dying out entirely on the last sip or two. Rings of lace circle the glass half empty. Good clarity, as well.
The first scent that arrives is toasty, crystal malt. My guess is Maris Otter malt? Some woody hop aroma as well. Feels sorta british, with a touch of buttery diacetyl and the expected burton ale fruitiness. I didn't expect something mind blowing. It's solid and as clean as you'd expect while retaining top fermenting characteristics.
The flavor opens with grainy, medium-kilned malt, a little like popping a few kernels of the raw stuff into your mouth while homebrewing. Toasty, with caramel and dry pear esters. I think the bitterness might be slightly on the higher end for the style, but I prefer it that way. The hop flavor comes across as just a touch citrusy, but gathers a woodsy flavor when coupled with the graininess of the malt. Tastes like Columbus or Willamette, two of my least favorite hops. Mouthfeel is really, really average. Totally medium body, medium carbonation, with a familiar dry finish. The balance is spot on for me. There's just enough lingering bitterness in the aftertaste with that pleasing dryness. I had no problem drinking three cans tonight to finish up my week.
A fine, upstanding Colorado brew. I have no complaints aside from the hop flavor not being a particular favorite of mine. Not really something I'd seek out again to drink at home, but it's definitely a satisfying option for a cookout or party where I'm not focusing on the beer.

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%