Old Soul Strong Belgian Golden Ale - Crazy Mountain Brewing Company

Ratings: 50 | Reviews: 11
Reviews by hopfacebrew:
3.67/5  rDev +6.4%

Reposting review from hacked account (jmkratt) :(

My man Rory hooked me up with a couple cans of this he picked up at the brewery. It was canned in Crazy Mountain's Amber Can, which was odd. I guess they only have one can so that's what they put everything in? At least that's what he was told.

A - Poured from can to a snifter. Pours a cloudy grainy light honey yellow with a medium-low fizzy white head. Low to medium retention with little lacing.

S - A pleasant blend of sweet malt. Hints of banana and sweet fruit with an earthen hop character. The yeast blends in well.

T - The beer has a very strong malt character to it. From the strong grainy malt base the hops add some citrus notes and more earthen character as found in the nose, almost juniper flavors and spice. The fruit is less powerful than anticipated with the banana character leading the way. Not a lot of alcohol detected though as it warms it becomes more prevalent. I think they might use belgian candy in the brew based on the sweetness.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finishes slick, almost oily.

O - A pleasure to sample seeing as I had never heard of it. I prefer their Amber, but this beer isn't too bad. I believe the flavors could benefit for a little more refining but not bad. Thanks Rory.

Serving type: can

Reviewed on: 07-15-2011 17:30:13

3.86/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber bottle

Pours hazed darker apricot, with a green olive oil hue, minor off white head, film and delicate strands of lace.

Herbal nose with tea, lime and Belgian yeast spice.

Fruity, citric, herbal with more tea and a slight lactic sour note. Then pepper, lime and coriander, with moderatly biting hops late.

Carbonation on the lower side.

Easy drinking and approachable BSPA. Nothing special, but easy drinking and worth a try.

From tasting notes. Appearance: Pours hazy gold under a 3” fluffy persistent porcelain white foam cap that persists and produces rich lace. Smell: Some of the added juniper berries shows up in the aroma with malt, citrus and melon. Taste: Melon, a hint of peach, caramel, and big spice. Mouthfeel: Creamy and effervescent, with a medium body. Overall: Refreshing and the Belgian yeast esters work better than I thought with the added juniper berries and the melony hops.

3.52/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From the 22 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on May 7, 2013.

The pour is like orange with no head and see-through clarity. It fizzed briefly but disappeared quickly.

The Belgian yeast aroma is the most forthright but the other Belgian sugar and pale malt notes are muted. There is a slight citrus and champagne note on the nose as well as a vague mustiness. Hops are slightly forward.

The body is medium and astringent.

The taste does not have the malty-alcohol punch I expect from a Belgian Strong but this is a Belgian Strong Pale so that may account for the missing oomph! An orange note and a slight lingering hop finish.

3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

22 oz bomber pours a very hazed orange color with a nice fluffy cap of small-bubbled head that shows some nice retention and lace.

Nose is very Belgian candi sweet with some light fruity yeast esters. Smells like a fig with agave nectar almost.

Not nearly as sweet as I thought it would be and the snappy wheat gives it much more balance than I initially thought. Nice balance of zesty hops...I like this one. It could use a bit more yeast presence and a lighter malt bill, but this is a pretty good shot at the style and has some uniqueness to it. Glad the ABV is not any higher, seems like that would push it into the 'harsh' side of things. Good price point too. Mouthfeel is airy and smooth, carbonation is fine and creamy. I wont have any trouble polishing this bomber off myself, wouldnt be opposed to having another one at some point either. A nice surprise, CMBC has had a few pretty nice seasonal bombers so far.

3.42/5  rDev -0.9%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass, no bottle dating. Pours slightly hazy deep golden color with a small foamy white head with poor retention, that reduces to a thin lace cap that lingers. Slight spotty lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of lemon, apricot, pear, apple, juniper, wheat, bread, candi sugar, clove, pepper, herbal, floral, grass, and herbal/yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of fruity/spicy yeast, pale malt, and earthy hop/spice notes; with decent strength. Taste of lemon, apricot, pear, apple, juniper, wheat, bread, candi sugar, clove, pepper, herbal, floral, grass, and herbal/yeast earthiness. Fair amount of earthy yeast spice/hop bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon, apricot, pear, apple, juniper, wheat, bread, candi sugar, clove, pepper, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice robustness and complexity of fruity/spicy yeast, pale malt, and earthy hop/spice flavors; with a good malt/yeast flavor balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied; with a smooth, fairly crisp, and lightly slick/bready mouthfeel that is okay. Alcohol is well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is a pretty solid Belgian strong pale ale. Nice complexity and balance of fruity/spicy yeast, pale malt, and earthy hop/spice flavors; and fairly smooth and crisp to sip on. Definitely needed much more carbonation, but it was pleasant and fairly enjoyable as it was.

2.34/5  rDev -32.2%

Pours an unusual light color, a faded amber, in the tulip. Foam and carbonation vanishes completely in less than 10 seconds. Mouthfeel is a little silky and utterly flat.

Flavor is quite light and a little like a woody cola. There is a little malty sweetness, but it becomes quite dry in the Belgian yeasy fashion. No hint of yeast in the taste, and the sediment is so tight the beer is quite clear. The juniper comes through as more unwanted bitterness. Overall it tastes like a Snapple flavor that didn't make it out of the lab.

Quite a disapointment is almost entirely unlike a Belgian ale, except for the dry finish. From the 22 oz bottle bought at Wilbur's Total Beverage in Fort Collins.

3.4/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the brewery in Edwards, CO. Yellow color, decent head, looks nice. Smells sort of fruity, yeasty, Belgian yeast. Flavor is pretty close the nose and not half bad. One of the more surprising beers I had at Crazy Mountain given that so many of there beers were so bad. I'd actually probably drink this one again which I can't say for too many of their others.

3.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Strong ale sounds about right, though I enjoyed this more than I thought I would from the description. I'm getting more into Belgians, and although this is a slightly different style than most of what I've found that I liked, it was still worth getting.

3.74/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

a cool beer from crazy mountain, on tap at the brewery. it pours a cloudy pale hay color, looks like a slightly more clear hefeweizen, with a sensational white head that lasts. the nose is floral and herbal and unique for a Belgian. I don't smell the yeast at all, but there is a sweeter honey element from the malt that I quite like. very springtime. the flavor is very herbal, not sure where that's coming from, and there is a surprisingly nice hop crispness on the tail end. the yeast is subtle, which I didn't expect, it lets some of the other flavors come out. again that honey is there, especially in the finish. the mouthfeel is major light for a beer of this depth and strength. light light body, pushing effervescent on the carbonation, and excited in general. a really fun beer that can get you drunk pretty quick. id like to see this one make it into the 6pack lineup. I don't know if its intended as one or not, but this makes an absolutely perfect spring seasonal.

3.8/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Found a sixer of cans of this stuff at Joy on 6th Ave. I was between this and the Upslope Belgian and read that this was brewed with juniper berries and thought that was interesting, so I figured I'd give it a go.

Comes in a black can with a pair of hands holding a rosary graphic in the background and "Old Soul" scrawled out in red over the hands. Looks cool. Pours totally clarified medium amber with light airy head of bubbles that dies out pretty quickly. I read a lot of reviews that said this beer has haze but these do not, and the other reviews were all from draught so maybe it's something to do with the packaging.

Get some tartness and herbal notes off the nose, a whiff of booze and some biscuit, plus some of that Belgian yeast funkiness. I can't say that I can pick out the juniper berries but I'm not very good at picking out specific smells unless something decides to hit me so maybe they are there. There is a sort of grapelike note to it which I usually don't like but it's very subtle here and I think adds another dimension, like grape popsicle. Flavor follows suit and I think it starts sweet and finishes dry, and the mouthfeel is lighter than I expected for a beer like this, but still satisfying.

Overall I think it's really good. Again they have this kind of hook with the juniper that I'm not getting, but I won't hold it against them. Maybe that's the touch of grape that I'm detecting, who knows. This is the first thing I've had from Crazy Mountain and I'd probably get it again because I freaking love strong Belgian styles that come in sixers, and cans to boot.

to view more.