Lava Lake Wit - Crazy Mountain Brewing Company

Lava Lake WitLava Lake Wit

Crazy Mountain Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Schmittymack on 09-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Ryandey

08-30-2012 07:56:11 | More by Ryandey
ArrogantB

1.65/5  rDev -48.1%

On tap at Crazy Mountain Brewing in Edwards, CO. This was by fat the worst beer I tasted at the brewery and possibly one of the worst I've ever tasted. Also odd that their description was "wild fermentation", not sure if that means brett or open fermentation or what. Color was pretty much spot on for a wit, looked like a hazy yellow. Aroma was bad, smelled nothing like a wit, just gross. Flavor was terrible, offensive, I could not take more than two sips and I can;t even describe what I was tasting, rotten flowers? It was like no wit I have ever had nor that I wish to taste again. I am surprised at how many of Crazy Mountain's beers I have had that are just awful.

06-09-2014 17:39:10 | More by ArrogantB

02-20-2014 00:54:19 | More by beerbrains
stuart3368

08-18-2013 17:56:49 | More by stuart3368
nach0king

Not to my taste at all. Didn't finish it.

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Quite dark and rich for a wit but it had a hint of cloudiness that actually ended up looking appetising.

S: Sweet toffee, burnt condensed milk - really too sweet for a wit. Some weird, industrial/herbal smells, like discount shampoo.

T: Similar to the smell but not as sweet. Some appealing tang at the start but fades out to a mealy-apple aftertaste.

M: Anonymous.

Will not be drinking this again and I'm not likely to seek out others by this brewery.

07-21-2012 01:26:39 | More by nach0king

J_Billington

11-18-2013 02:02:36 | More by J_Billington
woodychandler

2.13/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

This was another beer from blargimus that got set aside and glossed over between a backlog of bottles and the onslaught of the school year. I do not take full responsibility for the delay in review, however, as one of the major tenets of The CANQuest (TM) is that no beer is to be reviewed without an approved picture in place. The accompanying pic is mine, but the lead-time for approval is much longer than it used to be and so I set the CAN aside. All is now well.

From the CAN: "A beer brewed with spices"; "Get Crazy"; "This Ale is our take on a classic Belgian Wit. To make this wit unique, we add un-malted wheat, rolled oats, two varieties of classic European hops, chamomile, curacao orange peel, coriander, grains of paradise, and a rare yeast strain from the Old Country. This is a brew that [CAN] be enjoyed both on the slopes or on the beach."; "Located in Edwards, CO in the heart of the beautiful Vail Valley"; "Preserving Rivers Where We Live [-] 1% of all proceeds from sales go toward Eagle River Watershed Council."

The Crack and inverted Glug went off without a hitch, producing a foamy finger of bone white head with reasonable retention. Color was a hazy lemon-yellow which left me curious as to whether I might have left any lees in the CAN. I had agitated it as best I could before the Crack and left some liquid in the CAN to CANtinue to agitate, but that is what I got. Nose had a flowery, perfume-y smell, like they might have overdone it with all of the ingredients of which they were so proud. It was tough to distinguish what one adjunct had produced as opposed to another. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery and the taste had a flowery, perfume-y spiciness that I just could not get behind. I think that it may have been the chamomile that I really disliked. Finish was semi-dry and slightly spicy, but it just had the mish-mash quality of a witch's brew - throw in everything and see what results. I was not pleased by the result, but I will also say that Wits are not really my style of choice, either. I will leave it to you as to whether you want to give this a try.

06-22-2013 11:55:40 | More by woodychandler
blakelive784

2.19/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

12 fl oz can served in a weizen glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a transparent straw golden color. No yeast visible. It's got a soapy white, one finger head. You'd be hard pressed to differentiate this from a BMC based on appearance alone. Far from appealing.

S - Very, very light floras and citrus notes. Honey and (maybe?) soap. Light spice. Very mild but not unpleasant. Better than I'd thought it'd be.

T - The light floral notes I found on the aroma taste nearly identical to soap. Straight soap.It's hard to find any other notes beyond it. Lemon and bland base malt. Simple and poorly executed. Doesn't even fit the style. Watery. Where's the spice? Where's the yeast?

M - Watery and flat.

D - Why would you even put this on the market? This is the first beer I've had from Crazy Mountain and I'm not impressed.

03-11-2013 02:26:35 | More by blakelive784

Maine

07-16-2013 23:44:55 | More by trotnixon
smcolw

2.45/5  rDev -23%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

For a wheat beer, it is stunning how little head is present. Settles quickly to only rim bubbles. The little lace there slides down the glass quickly, leaving nothing. The brew is straw in color with no cloudiness. Frankly, it's disappointing.

Sweet, like Kool-ade. No wheat smell. I do smell some "apple", which I'm not sure where that comes from. Disappointing, again.

Cider sourness is the strong flavor I identify. This is not a Wit from my perspective. The body is decent with an appropriate, if elevated, carbonation level. If this were a cider, I might be fooled. For a Wit, this is a clear miss.

04-27-2014 20:11:33 | More by smcolw