Lava Lake Wit - Crazy Mountain Brewing Company

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Schmittymack on 09-06-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.56/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled yesterday on 10/25/15. Comes in a 12-ounce can. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a .25L "KAISER" gold-rimmed glass.

Brew pours a hazy golden-amber in color with about a 1-finger white foamy/creamy head. Normal lacing which was spotty that stuck to the sides of the glass when sipped. Aroma is of grains, floral hops and some spice. Bit more going on with the taste as there are some hints of yeast, biscuit and pale malts also. Pretty smooth for the most part with the floral hops near the finish. Medium-bodied with medium carbonation. Overall, it was a decent brew.

4.21/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Have had a few of these Crazy Mountain beers - this was the first that inspired me to actually write a review. Big fan of the execution on these non-traditional adjuncts.

Appearance: hazy yellow, moderate white head/lacing.

Aroma/Flavor: Pie crust with mild cherry and orange notes. Really interesting nose and i'm a big fan. More of the same on the palate with a tough of bitter orange peel and more spice.

Mouthfeel: Medium light bodied, easy to drink.

3.26/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I picked up a can of Crazy Mountain's Lava Lake Wit a couple weeks ago for $1.79 at Boyne Country Provisions. I was in the mood for a Witbier and I thought I would take a chance on this one so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A_ The can looks good, it's got a nice design to it and it's eye catching. It poured a nice a yellow color that took on more of a brighter yellow color when held to the light with a fingers and half worth of bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with some grainy. biscuit and pale malt aromas being the first to show up and it's followed by the spices with chamomile seeming to show up the most. Towards the end comes some citrus like aromas with a little bit of lemon zest coming through. This beer had a decent aroma, but it wasn't as true to style as I would like.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with those same malts that I got in the aroma being the first to show up and it's followed by a slight doughy yeast and wheat flavor. Up next comes the spices which imparts the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the chamomile still sticking out the most. On the finish comes the same lemon zest aspects that I got in the aroma with pretty much no bitterness with a citrusy aftertaste that was just a little watery. It's a decent tasting beer, but it still isn't as true to style as I would like.

M- Smooth, slightly creamy, a little crisp, slightly refreshing, on the light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was an Ok beer and I thought it wasn't a great example of the style because it seemed to not stay true to the style, but it didn't taste bad, it just tasted more like a Saison than a Witbier. This beer had decent drinkability, i could drink a couple, but it might start to wear on me after that. What I like the most about this beer is the appearance and mouthfeel, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer is that it wasn't too true to style. I might buy this beer again if I'm in the mood for it and I wouldn't turn one down, but I wouldn't get it if I was looking for a good and true to style Witbier. All in all I didn't hate this beer, but I didn't love it either, it kind of fell right in the middle. It's now my least favorite beer from this brewery and it's average at best for the style. Better luck next time guys, this one could use a little work.

3.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a cloudy golden amber. World class head volume, retention and normal lacing.

Light nose of coriander, orange and chamomile over a weak biscuit. As it warms, it becomes much sweeter and has hints of clove.

Light medium body with a texture that approaches creamy. Normal carbonation with a bit of effervescence in the middle and a nice burst in the finish.

This is a uniquely flavored wit that is intense, slightly complex and somewhat balanced. It begins with a blend of flavors from the nose that separate very little. It has a general tart flavor that flows to clove and coriander in the middle. The middle has a very subtle bitterness that slowly becomes phenolic. The finish is a lingering phenolic that slowly becomes medicinal.

3.28/5  rDev +1.5%

From a can poured into a shaker glass. Appearance: Hazy straw, 2” foam cap dissipates to ¼” film Smell: has a very spicey nose that approaches perfumey. The orange peel is very strong as is the coriander and the grains of paradise. There is some chamomile in there contributing to the perfumey quality.Taste: This beer has a lot added into it for as light as it is. Along with all the spice it’s almost like an orange lemon juice was added. Mouthfeel: Overall: This is a fun beer that borders on a shandy – all the additions overwhelm the beer base. For balance it could use some hops or tartness.

3.35/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pour is a cloudy yellow orange that brings a small head of foam. Some lacing.

The smell is kind of weird. I do get some coriander with a hint of cloves, but it has a strange fruity aroma that I can't quite put my finger on.

The taste also has the strange taste. .could be lime. It is somewhat distracting and overwhelms the "normal" flavours one expects from a Wit.

Fairly light in body, lively carbonation.

Thanks Jacob for the chance to try it!

2.41/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Where I live, I can only dream of a white Christmas. But in the world of beer, dreams of a white Christmas are a reality. Enter the witbier style, and while it's still a few days before Christmas, it's close enough for me. Here's my white Christmas, brought to me by Crazy Mountain. On to the beer:

Not much life in the appearance, as the beer is a paler yellow color with some tiny bubbles running through the body, and a short lived head which drops to barely a lace. I hope it get better. A few whiffs of the aroma, and I repeat to my myself, I hope it gets better. It smells okay, with faded orange peel, flowers, scented soap. Please get well.

The name Lava Lake conjured images of a lake that was formed as a result of lava millions of years ago. As a beer, it's a watery witbier with little inspiration. The chamomile adds a uniqueness per style, though that's the highlight. It feels watery, tastes watered down, and while it does have a refreshing aspect, I'd much rather conform to Hoegaarden or even Blue Moon.

Crazy Mountain has made a witbier that did not interest me, which itself is crazy. Thank goodness that alcohol is a by-product provided.

3.76/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into an IPA glass.

A murky yellow body underneath a white head -- then the head recedes to almost nothing. A few spots and one line of watery lacing remain momentarily. Not the best looking beer.

In the nose, chamomile and coriander really come to the front, while orange peel is tucked away in the back. It almost has a minty notion about it, this aroma.

Upon drinking, that minty, spicy notion sits on the taste buds softly. Chamomile in the beginning, grains of paradise later. The tangy orange peel comes into play in the finish, making this a great warm weather drink.

It feels light and carbonated.

Overall, I enjoyed this much more than I anticipated. It has some unique flavors that go a long way.

3.75/5  rDev +16.1%

I'm not sure it was supposed to be a sour beer? It sure is a good one though. It's tart and floral and really very delicious. My favorite from this kind of lackluster mix pack. If I got it again, what would it taste like?

I have never rated a beer on this site before, but after tasting this horrible concoction at a cafe in Edwards I was inspired to write this review.

This beer sucks. It should not be called a beer. It should be sold as an alcoholic version of Celestial Seasonings tea. It should be used to clean out your toilet after a nasty bout of diarrhea.

This was the first beer that I have ever opened that I was unable to finish, except for the time that I attempted to drink a keg of Milwaukee's Best.

Please, for the sake of humanity, stop brewing this beer.

Poured like a very light lager, see through yellow. Lots of floral notes on the nose with a hint of honey. citrus, and Chamomile. The Chamomile is the most potent, but the other flavors mixed create a sweet tea flavor. Some spice on the finish... The absolute most interesting wit I have ever tried.... Not really too sure how to describe it besides unique. It is honestly not really a wit beer, but more like a Chamomile flavored domestic.

3.68/5  rDev +13.9%

12 ounce can into pint glass, no can dating. Pours hazy bright gold color with a 1 finger fairly dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings down the glass, with a light amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of lemon, pear, apple, orange peel, coriander, chamomile, pepper, clove, wheat, bread, oats, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of fruity/earthy yeast, spices, and pale malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of lemon zest, pear, apple, orange peel, coriander, chamomile, pepper, clove, wheat, oats, bread, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Light earthy spiciness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon, pear, apple, orange peel, coriander, chamomile, pepper, clove, wheat, bread, oats, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant flavors with good balance and complexity of fruity/earthy yeast, spices, and pale malt notes; with very solid robustness and no cloying flavors after the finish. No watery feeling at all in the flavors. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, fairly crisp, and lightly bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with no warming present after the finish. Overall this is a nice and pleasant witbier. All around good balance and complexity of fruity/earthy yeast, spices, and pale malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

2.89/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Hazy straw color with very little head, that fades quickly.
S: Odd aroma--very sweet citrus. Not orange-peel citrus but lemony. Never had a wit that smelled like this.
T: Ugh, not a good flavor. Unpleasantly sweet, with no detectable coriander, with a fruity lemon taste like in the aroma.
M: VERY watery. Almost no carbonation.

One of the worst wits I've ever had. To let you know how bad: I would rather be drinking a Blue Moon than this!

3.09/5  rDev -4.3%

On-tap 7/6/2014 at Battleship Brewhouse in Fall River, MA served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright yellow color, with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but contains wheat, lemon and light caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with a strong lemony citrus flavor followed by some wheat and light malt breadiness. There’s a touch of spice and a very faint hops presence but not much balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth but watery, light body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not filling not filling at all, mild kick, not the best representation of style, this is just a mediocre beer at best.

1.72/5  rDev -46.7%

On tap at Crazy Mountain Brewing in Edwards, CO. This was by fat the worst beer I tasted at the brewery and possibly one of the worst I've ever tasted. Also odd that their description was "wild fermentation", not sure if that means brett or open fermentation or what. Color was pretty much spot on for a wit, looked like a hazy yellow. Aroma was bad, smelled nothing like a wit, just gross. Flavor was terrible, offensive, I could not take more than two sips and I can;t even describe what I was tasting, rotten flowers? It was like no wit I have ever had nor that I wish to taste again. I am surprised at how many of Crazy Mountain's beers I have had that are just awful.

2.46/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

For a wheat beer, it is stunning how little head is present. Settles quickly to only rim bubbles. The little lace there slides down the glass quickly, leaving nothing. The brew is straw in color with no cloudiness. Frankly, it's disappointing.

Sweet, like Kool-ade. No wheat smell. I do smell some "apple", which I'm not sure where that comes from. Disappointing, again.

Cider sourness is the strong flavor I identify. This is not a Wit from my perspective. The body is decent with an appropriate, if elevated, carbonation level. If this were a cider, I might be fooled. For a Wit, this is a clear miss.

3.64/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Ow dear it seems to be filtered not a good sign, still its somewhat hazy bright orange yellow with a 1/2 inch of head that settles very quickly to a thick ring. Very sticky.
S - Smell is less than I expected some orange peel and coriander. Yeast does smell rather sharp and fruity though.
T - Very balanced sharp lemon taste with some orange peel and coriander spice. No hard water taste is nice and has a crisp finish.
M - Light to medium not watery or hard water tasting.

Overall I don't think I will be getting this again it's a weak taste on the style borderline light beer but it does have some flavor. Worth trying for the $1.79 single.

3.69/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a 10oz goblet with a steady pour
And not a lot of head to show for it. The smell
Is very subtle of chamomile and orange zest. I was
Expecting a little bit more with smell but the taste
Makes up for it in the end. Extremely refreshing and drinkable.
This beer would really come in handy on a hot summers
Day. Lots of orange up front with a slight taste of herbs at the finish.
Overall a good beer in the Wit category.

3.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pale yellow body with a thin white head. Boiled cabbage and cooked corn aroma. Spicy flavor; cinnamon; indeterminate esters; some graham cracker tones. Medium body; smooth.

A somewhat tough call on this one. The appearance is so-so and the smell bad, yet the taste and feel are pretty damn good. Well, it is what it is. I wouldn't go out of my way to have another one based on this single sample, but perhaps a future experience might reveal better qualities in appearance and smell than my experience with this can. Still, taste and feel are primary considerations for a brew (in my opinion), so I'll give this one a positive nod based on the rather top-notch qualities I experienced.

3.29/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Slightly cloudy yellow-tan, little head, not a lot of lacing.

Aroma is pretty heavily lemon, with a little yeast and a little wheat.

Taste wise I thought it was a shandy when I popped the first can. Very, very lemony, like it's got part lemonade in it. The lower carbonation also led me to believe this might be a shandy*.

Body wise it's light and refreshing, just like a shandy. Lemony aftertaste compliments the light body.

It's not bad, just somewhat strange, and not what I expected. I don't think it's going to shatter any craft beer sales records, but it's a good enough lawnmower beer.

*obviously before I read the can, didn't have my glasses with me when I bought it

3.08/5  rDev -4.6%

Lava Lake Wit pours to a hazy shade of yellow with a mildly pleasing nose of wheat, yeast, bread, citrus, and spice. The white foam doesn’t last very long and leaves no lacing as you consume.

This beer offers a taste that is similar in some ways to other wits, with its wheat, yeast, and other qualities but is different in other ways, with spicy flavors not found in most other beers of this style. Along with the unusual spice blend are flavors of oranges and lemons, but the spice is what I remember most, particularly that of chamomile.

This is a refreshing beer for the hot days of summer, but I have to admit that the spicy flavors present, while certainly different, are not necessarily what I prefer to taste in this style. I still find it okay, however, and I predict most who try it will find it at least palatable, even if not very impressive.

2.14/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

This was another beer from blargimus that got set aside and glossed over between a backlog of bottles and the onslaught of the school year. I do not take full responsibility for the delay in review, however, as one of the major tenets of The CANQuest (TM) is that no beer is to be reviewed without an approved picture in place. The accompanying pic is mine, but the lead-time for approval is much longer than it used to be and so I set the CAN aside. All is now well.

From the CAN: "A beer brewed with spices"; "Get Crazy"; "This Ale is our take on a classic Belgian Wit. To make this wit unique, we add un-malted wheat, rolled oats, two varieties of classic European hops, chamomile, curacao orange peel, coriander, grains of paradise, and a rare yeast strain from the Old Country. This is a brew that [CAN] be enjoyed both on the slopes or on the beach."; "Located in Edwards, CO in the heart of the beautiful Vail Valley"; "Preserving Rivers Where We Live [-] 1% of all proceeds from sales go toward Eagle River Watershed Council."

The Crack and inverted Glug went off without a hitch, producing a foamy finger of bone white head with reasonable retention. Color was a hazy lemon-yellow which left me curious as to whether I might have left any lees in the CAN. I had agitated it as best I could before the Crack and left some liquid in the CAN to CANtinue to agitate, but that is what I got. Nose had a flowery, perfume-y smell, like they might have overdone it with all of the ingredients of which they were so proud. It was tough to distinguish what one adjunct had produced as opposed to another. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery and the taste had a flowery, perfume-y spiciness that I just could not get behind. I think that it may have been the chamomile that I really disliked. Finish was semi-dry and slightly spicy, but it just had the mish-mash quality of a witch's brew - throw in everything and see what results. I was not pleased by the result, but I will also say that Wits are not really my style of choice, either. I will leave it to you as to whether you want to give this a try.

3.42/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Almost a finger of head on a hazy, light straw colored body.
The aroma had a little honey and grain. Faint overall though.
The taste was pleasant if light. The mildest bitter lemon note and a little spice.
The texture was crisp with moderate carbonation.
Not bad.

3.11/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: pours a dark gold with a thin head that dissipates quickly despite quite a bit of carbonation.

S: Not a lot of aroma but definite spice notes.

T: This one is growing on me. the camomile gives this a different taste than other wits.(After some reflection, it has stopped growing on me and has receded. I just tried it again and couldn't finish it. I think is like 21st Amendments Hell or High Watermelon. You just have to like that taste associated with beer. I do like camomile in tea but it has stopped working for me with beer.)

M: With the carbonation a the spices this has a nice mouthful. Medium but very good for a wit.

O: Wits are not my favorite style but I do like this one. (Well actually, as it turns out, I don't like it and won't be repeating it.)

3.47/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a weisse-vase, the beer is an unfiltered, pale, yellow coloring with a filmy white surface coating. Aromas of bread and grain in the backbone, with citrus sweet highlights and some interesting herbs and spices. Flavors are very well blended, with a smooth, tangy overall character. Roasted bread and grain backbone is highlighted by tangy sweet citrus and a calming smoothness of chamomile. There are some subtle clove and all-spice highlights as well, but everything really marries smoothly. The body has a nice, smooth mid-full feel, which allows the spice blend to linger through a decent aftertaste, transitioning to a slow, smooth finish. Tasty brew.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast