Boohai Red Ale - Crazy Mountain Brewing Company

good

Crazy Mountain Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: JMBSH on 12-18-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Oregon

06-10-2014 02:59:10 | More by chossboss
ArrogantB

2.39/5  rDev -33.4%

On tap at Crazy Mountain brewing in Edwards, CO. Red color, ok head, looks fine to me. Aroma was an odd graininess, not like any red ale I'm familiar with, hardly any hops. Flavor was like garbage, just gross, none of the promised hop qualities. I could not believe how bad this beer was and how many of Crazy Mountain's beers were bad. I know they can make a decent beer because I tasted one or two but this was bad.

06-09-2014 20:45:50 | More by ArrogantB

larbush

10-25-2013 12:46:52 | More by larbush
tone77

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

A shout out to woodychandler for yet another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has an amber/brownish color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of caramel, some malts. Taste is balanced, some hops and bitterness up front, caramel malts at the finish, somewhat dry as well. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and although nothing special, is an enjoyable session beer.

10-20-2013 20:53:42 | More by tone77

JuicesFlowing

Kansas

4.04/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a balloon glass.

The beer is a dark ruby copper with a cream colored head that settles to a chunky film. Light webby lacing.

The beer smells slightly sweet and malty with a hint of caramel but is soon overtaken by New Zealand hops which offer some pine notes with faint fruit notes.

Taste is where this beer excels with said sweet malt beginnings followed by pine, bitter hops, and faint grape-like notes.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Overall, this is just really nice with a lot of good pine notes. I like it.

09-22-2013 16:25:34 | More by JuicesFlowing
woodychandler

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Today is my New CANorado Beer Sunday as the result of my trip to CANorado to visit The Old Lady aka Ma Petite Abeille. I shipped a boatload of CANs back from Mecca and I aim to review every daggone one of them. Slainte! My thanks to the peeps at Colorado Liquor Mart for allowing me to break a sixer.

From the CAN: "Get Crazy"; "We bring in the hops for this brew from New Zealand, where locals use the term "Boohai" to describe being thoroughly lost in a remote or non-existant [sic] place far from civilization. To us, that sounded like a pretty good place to be."; "These unique hops present a noticeable aroma of blackberries, Sauvignon Blanc grapes and pine which come together nicely with a complex blend of Belgian malts to make a deep, yet sublimely pleasant beer."; "Locate in Edwards, CO in the heart of the beautiful VAIL VALLEY"; "Empowering Those Fighting Against MS Where We Live".

The Crack revealed yet another brimful craft CAN by virtue of a little spritz of beer across my hand. The inverted Glug netted me a finger of foamy, tawny head with moderate retention which created some nice lacing as it fell. Color was a deep coppery amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose had an interesting grape scent, kind of like jelly or juice, along with a light pine bitterness. Mouthfeel was medium and this was an instance where the taste corresponded well with the nose. It started with a very vinous white wine flavor and followed that with a wash of pine hops. Finish was accordingly very dry, more like drinking white wine than beer. Good in terms of changing up what CAN be a stagnant style, but really, if I wanted to drink wine, I would do so.

08-18-2013 20:22:56 | More by woodychandler
JohnyFriday

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

08-11-2013 01:37:17 | More by JohnyFriday
DoshBeerBalla

4.71/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This had been one of my go-to beers for the summer.
A-Pours a beautiful color...due to my colorblindness, its hard for me to label it as a color. Not light, but still transparent.
S-Smells like incredible barley/malt...not very heavy on the hops.
T-On the sweeter side, without actually being a sweet beer. For me, the complexity and combination of the ingredients put into this beer make it the most drinkable red I have ever had.
M-Just the right amount of carbonation. Very light and goes down super smooth.
O- Great spring/summer beer. Did I mention I love the design on the can as well? Crazy mountain does some solid work. For summer drinkers, I would put this alongside Steamworks Third Eye and Odell's St. Lupulin

07-23-2013 01:25:13 | More by DoshBeerBalla
southdenverhoo

4.21/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a very nice beer. On tap at World of Beer, Glendale. Malty, only very slightly roasty ( I always get this wrong when homebrewing reds--trying to get the color right I get too much roastiness every time), Impeccably deep amber/red, clear as a fucking bell, nicely carbonated, bartender poured about a 3/4 inch head which declined to 1/4 inch but held on, depositing nice lacing as I worked through it, perhaps more bitter than typical, also slightly more hop aroma and taste (primarily piney, earthy, slightly floral only minimally citrusy). Probably not a textbook red, although I didn't look up the guidelines, but it's a red for the way we drink now, if that makes any sense--a little bigger, a little more bitter, a little more hoppy.

I really enjoyed this and if I hadn't had somewhere to go would have had several. A nice quaffer (even at 6%) on a saturday after a work-out at my gym down the street from this joint. I'm probably way into the green numbers on the rDev but fuck it, this was nice.

07-14-2013 01:25:47 | More by southdenverhoo
PhatAtUT

07-09-2013 14:54:12 | More by PhatAtUT
alexipa

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Really great deep red color, while being crystal clear. Two inch off white head that calms to a film. Lots of lacing.

S: Complex malt dominated with a lot of herbal undertones. Some caramel, toasted malts, pine, and definitely a strong blackberry presence. Wow, this is a REALLY great smelling beer.

T: Pretty hop forward but with a nice caramel malt foundation. This has more bitterness then I expected, which is a bit of a downer. Lots of pine and herbal hop flavors, some fruity blackberry, and some biscuit/bread.

M: Nicely carbonated, medium body. The mouthfeel is more akin to an ESB, which I actually appreciate a great deal.

O: This is a pretty darn good red ale and much better than 90% of American red ales on the market. The taste has really grown on me as I drink through my first can, I bet the second will be even more outstanding.

06-13-2013 19:14:10 | More by alexipa
larryi86

Delaware

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

Thank you JMBSH for this!
12 oz can poured into a snifter

A- A nice clear red with a two finger off-white head.

S- Dank resin hops, piney hops, juicy berries, some nice bready malts.

T- Piney hops, berries, black tea, toasted malts.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- A solid red ale. If I could get this locally I would pick up, a good easy to drink ale for a hot day.

06-03-2013 01:36:32 | More by larryi86
denver10

Kentucky

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear reddish bronze with a dirty white head. Loving the aroma, I am getting some dank ganja and berry on top of light caramel. That's also kinda what I am getting from the flavor too with some moderate amount of piney bitterness. A crisp, medium mouthfeel. Overall, love the aroma, and the rest aint bad either. A little more bitterness than I need in a red, personally, but not a buzzkill either. My opinion towards Crazy Mountain has really grown with these last few beers of theirs I have tried. Would drink this again.

06-02-2013 00:35:51 | More by denver10