2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Birra Di Natale - Beba

Birra Di Natale
No picture uploaded.

Beba visit their website
Italy

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: johnmichaelsen on 01-19-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 8 | Reviews: 8
RblWthACoz

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a rich looking amber. Nose is spicy and sticky sweet. Flavor is interesting. Quite robust, and almost winter warmer in nature. Smooth level of spices, mid-range sweetness. Mild fruit tones. Everything meshes together quite well. Feel is smooth on liquid and the carbonation nips a bit at the mouth and lips. Very easy to drink. A well assembled beer.

03-10-2009 05:25:22 | More by RblWthACoz
glid02

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Had this on-tap at the Brick Store in Atlanta.

Pours a cloudy dark copper color with one-finger of white head. The head sticks around for a while, finally settling into a patchy layer on top with good lacing.

Smells of buttery caramel malts with hints of spices. This isn't as spicy as I was expecting, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Tastes good. More buttery caramel malt up front that segues into spices that are more pungent than the aromas would let on. Not a lot of light spices such as coriander, but more nutmeg and brown sugar. This beer definitely tastes better as it warms.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got active carbonation that brings out the flavors well.

Drinkability is good. After I got over the initial shock of subdued spiced flavors, I found this went down rather easily.

Overall this is a tasty beer, and I'm glad I had this one as my introduction to Italian craft beer. Worth a shot.

01-13-2009 03:50:32 | More by glid02
everetends

Alabama

.3 liter pour served up in a cervoise (I believe) at the Brickstore Pub in ATL.

A: Served as a dark orange/amber color that was pretty clear from what I could tell. It hit the table with a little over a finger of vibrant, fluffy white head that had nice retention and apparently enjoyed lasting long in my beard as well. Lacing was decent and somewhat sticky, sliding down and streaking the glass a bit throughout the experience. Carbonation activity was light.

S: Smell was very faint and hard to decipher. I got some apple peal initially. After a while I got some nice caramel sweetness coming out with a touch of cinnamon. Orange peel was also in the background. Nice aroma but so faint it took a hit.

T: Almost the same thing with nose. At first it tasted pretty run of the mill with just some caramel malt, but as you get into it more shows itself. Apple peel is present in the flavor as well as orange peel. Spices are mostly cinnamon, cardamon, and a trace of coriander and nutmeg. Would have gotten higher marks from me if the flavors were a touch more pronounced.

M: Medium bodied brew that had decent carbonation and a nice cripness to it. I was suprised to see the ABV was realitively high because there is no trace of it in the flavor or feel. After taste is light with just a touch of cinnamon and sweet malt.

D: This beer is quite drinkable IMO. Sure I said it took a hit for being faint in the aroma and flavor departments, but it has decent, muted flavor and the beer goes down so damned easily. I would have easily had more of these to further explore the beer, but the couple I had went so fast and I feared the seemingly non-existant ABV would catch up with me. Still a solid brew.

01-10-2009 15:39:48 | More by everetends
Halcyondays

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a relatively clear amber, with a full lightly fizzy off-white head, good retention, light lacing.

S: Nuts, light malt, caramel.

T: Quite sweet on the initial impression. It is balanced with a lightly bitter nut profile. Hops are not really here and don't play a part in the flavour, but that's okay as the malt and and other flavours make this beer.

M: Light/medium-bodied, smooth, a bit fizzy, a tad too carbonated, but the mouthfeel is fine.

D: I liked this beer a lot. Not a Christmas beer in the traditonal sense, but a quality brew nonetheless. My first from this Italian brewery, good stuff.

12-28-2008 23:32:34 | More by Halcyondays
RedBeerchetta

4.15/5  rDev +2%

It was $14 a glass. Need to get that off my chest right away. Next thing I need to say it not to drink this cold. It really us much better - great, really - when served cool rather than cold (it came to me cold, but the knowledgeable bartender at The Publick House recommended I warm it with my hands, amd I'm grateful). Regardless, it was very good. Worth the price? Mmmm. I enjoyed the one I had.

Translucent, orangey rust color. Almost no head.

I could not detect a nose at all until its temp went up a bit, and then it was barely noticeable. A little bit of citrus was about all I could sniff.

Subtle, complex notes of peat, citrus, and maple. When it was cold, none of these came out. After cuddling the tulip shaped glass in my warm hands on a snowy Boston night, lovely, seductive flavors came out that made me wish it didn't cost $14(!!) for another glass.

It really was very drinkable and something special. I couldn't bring myself to forkiig over for a second, but I'm glad I did for the first.

12-20-2008 04:34:45 | More by RedBeerchetta
TurdFurgison

I had this on tap at the Spuyten Duyvil, $9 in a wine glass. The beer was clear, dark orange/brown color, with virtually no head. The smell was yeasty and sweet, possibly spiced. The flavor was mostly sweet, kind of spicy hops or a spice like clove or coriander, and a little sour in the aftertaste. Very good beer, I'm not sure of the style but it was worth the try.

12-13-2008 04:12:06 | More by TurdFurgison
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this at the Brick Store Pub. Poured a dark chestnut, virtually opaque with a nice head consisting of tight bubbles. Head fades to a thin ring. Smell is light, a little grainy, slightly sweet, and lightly spiced. The taste is redolant of butterscotch and spice without being too sweet. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely some sweetness here and the butterscotch notes are clean and fruity. It does not taste like a load of diacetyl. There are also some grainy notes and a bit of caramel, some brown sugar, and its all lightly spiced with coriander, cardomom, and orange and lemon zest. You don't find the usual spiced flavors of clove and cinnamon, which is a nice change of pace. Good body, smooth and creamy and a bit of breadinesss in the finish. This really grows on me, and on a nice warm afternoon in late winter in the South, it seems just the thing.

02-18-2008 23:06:08 | More by Georgiabeer
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this "new to me" beer on tap at Max's the other night.

The beer pours a hazy toffee color with very good head retention and fair lacing. The beer smells malty and sweet, but with a hint of spice. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose, though I get a nice intermix of orange and cherry, interlaced with a touch of spice. The beer is moderatetly sweet and has a very nice creamy, satiny mouthfeel. There is just enough of a hop presense to keep the beer interesting and from becoming too heavy. The abv. is pretty well disguised and this beer is actually pretty easy to drink considering the alcohol content.

Very enjoyable. A nice solid beer from this "new to me" Italian brewery.

01-19-2008 16:36:29 | More by johnmichaelsen
Birra Di Natale from Beba
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.