Iron Maiden Trooper - Robinsons Family Brewers

Iron Maiden TrooperIron Maiden Trooper

Robinsons Family Brewers visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  4.70% ABV

TROOPER takes its name from the Iron Maiden song which is inspired by the famous Charge of the Light Brigade. Being a real ale enthusiast, vocalist Bruce Dickinson has developed a beer which has true depth of character.

TROOPER is a Premium British Beer inspired by Iron Maiden and handcrafted at Robinsons brewery. Malt flavours and citric notes from a unique blend of Bobec, Goldings and Cascade hops dominate this deep golden ale with a subtle hint of lemon.

(Beer added by: flyingpig on 07-12-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Iron Maiden Trooper Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

Iron Maiden singer Bruce Dickinson did, in fact, have input on this ESB. Clear and light orange color. Classic English hard water is immediately noticeable. A hint of sweet bread, then earthy hops bitterness. Nice mouthfeel and it goes down very easily. At only 4.7% ABV, you could easily knock down a couple of these during a show! Fantastic label with Eddie, as well. Perhaps I’m caught up in the novelty a little, but I’m a fan!

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

500 ml. bottle, amber colour and a good head that doesn't hold for too long, but leaves a good lace. Smell of caramel, grains and malt. Medium body that sticks to the tongue. Taste of caramel, the usual mineral hops of some english beers, and some bitterness in the end. Not bad, but very one-dimensional, maybe to please everyone, but a beer you drink easily.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

3.44/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a nice amber/orange color with 1/4 inch of head that stays around as a cap for a while

S: Nice and malty with some raisin and caramel maltiness

T: Starts off with a the general maltiness which goes throughout the entirety of the taste. Ringwood yeast provides a light buttery note. Also get some caramel sweetness and a light fruitiness. A light bitterness shows up on the finish

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: Definitely on the British side of an ESB. Drinking this more for the novelty of the Iron Maiden part, but it's actually a pretty decent ESB. $5 isn't too bad (at all) to get a sweet bottle containing some brew, regardless of how good or bad it is. If you're a fan of Iron Maiden, it's a good purchase

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

3.44/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light rusty coloring lends to a burnt orange with a watery body. The head was fleeting and fizzy with the loud popping of carbonation.

The scent is a light brewed tea with some sour barley and a tinge of malt.

The flavor is stronger to the barley side with a nice malt backbone. A touch of nuttiness and biscuit are also there. The finish is hops but the overall flavor is tempered.

The feel is thin but really smooth. The carbonation, despite massive visual evidence to the contrary, is almost non-existent in feel.

The reminds me of the Bristish Ales served in every little pub throughout London. Weak in body and flavor but with an easiness that serves a day of drinking.

3.51/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of The Robinsons Family Brewers Iron Maiden Trooper a couple weeks ago for $3.89 at The Lager Mill. I'll be honest the sole purpose that I looked for this beer was Simply because I'm a big Iron Maiden fan, I didn't know who brewed it or what style it was, but I just had to try it and I took a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh.. Poured from a brown 16,9 bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks awesome, I may be a little bias, but I think it looks kick ass and it looks like it could have come straight off the artwork of an Iron Maiden album with their signature mascot Eddy holding the British flag. It pouted a a nice amber brown color that took on more of a bright amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white head that faded to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer. I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a light amount of medium sweetness followed by some sweet and nicely toasted malts with some nice caramel malt aromas coming through. Up next comes noticeable English yeast aroma with pretty much no hop aromas. The Aroma was nice and very malty.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by lots of malts that impart some toasted malts, caramel malts, bread crust, sweet malts and some light toffee like flavors. Up next there's pretty much no noticeable hop flavors and hardly any bitterness with a very malty aftertaste. This was pretty nice tasting beer, but it was just a little on the sweet side.

M- Smooth, s little sticky, dry, on the thick side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer that was very true to style, it reminded me of some of the better English beers I've had with that really malty flavor and signature English Ale yeast. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, I think one or two would be enough for me, I think more than that and I would start to get bored with it. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style it was, it's just a good example of the style. What I liked the least about this beer was how one dimensional it was, I think a little more hops would add some balance and more complexity to this brew, I might buy this beer again, but I don't think I would get it often and I would recommend it to people who like the style. All in all I thought this was a nice beer, it simple and malty. I would think a darker more extreme beer would better suit the persona of this band, but this is probably the style they enjoy drinking so I can't knock them for that, This made for a decent first impression for this brewery and I'll be interested to see if they put out anymore Iron Maiden beers.

Iron Maiden Trooper from Robinsons Family Brewers