1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Duquesne Pilsener Beer - Duquesne Bottling Company

Duquesne Pilsener BeerDuquesne Pilsener Beer

Duquesne Bottling Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 09-03-2010)

CollinsSean92, Jan 05, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +37.5%

Heard about this story so had to come across the state line to give it a try. Apparently it just came out in kegs so I happen to get it on draft and I was really impressed. Came out with a bright white head, went down very smooth and it left no aftertaste in my mouth. Couldn't believe how reasonably priced it is as well for cases. So far the best Pennsylvania Beer I have had and is now one of my beer of choices. Happy to see it back and how well its doing.

RyanC3958, Jan 03, 2012

lumpy1126, Dec 14, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +33.8%

A pretty delicious beer that i would recommend to any beer drinker. It pours a crisp straw yellow with a foamy smooth whitish head. It smells of premium hops and barley with a note of sweetness and bread. It tastes like any premium pils I have had before. Very smooth to the mouth and easy to go down and drink. Absolutely no stale aftertaste that you often get with pils. Overall I loved it and it is a memorable beer that I would tell any real beer drinker to try.

zachary37, Dec 10, 2011

pogoowner, Dec 04, 2011

jaykhjr, Dec 03, 2011

weaselchew, Nov 29, 2011
3.25/5  rDev 0%

Pours a pale golden yellow with 1/4" of soft, bubbly, foamy, white head that has decent retention. The nose has notes of lager yeast, straw, and a hint of lemon. The taste is grassy and straw-like with notes of lemon and yeast. The mouthfeel is light bodied, well carbonated, and clean.

This is an easy drinking beer that's definitely sessionable. It's simple and one-dimensional so if you're in search of complexity you'll be disappointed, but otherwise it's good.

tdm168, Nov 18, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -13.8%

!right straw yellow in color with good clarity. Poured with a brief white foamy head that quickly dissipated. Fresh grass and light, stale biscuit aromas with a touch of lemon. Medium bodied and crisp with assertive carbonation. Flavors are similar to aromas. Earthy fresh cut grass and light stalebready flavors. Finishes with a beady, light malty aftertaste. Generally unspectacular. Easy to drink but pretty unforgettable.

IronLover, Nov 05, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -23.7%

I bought a 30-pack of this on a whim. Overall, it was something I wouldn't buy again. It has an odd, sweet kind of taste, a foamy head that doesn't stick around and not much in the way of carbonation. It tasted flat as soon as I poured it into my glass. If I need to buy a cheaper beer to stock the fridge, I'll stick to the PBR.

beep71, Aug 26, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +6.2%

12 oz bottle courtesy of mgbickel. Pours a clear, light gold color with a fine-bubbled white head. Decent retention and lacing for the style.

Nose is light, sweet grains...not really husky/grainy smelling though. Touch of herbal hops with some nutty lager yeast.

Taste is not bad, but I dont really get much difference from an AAL. Light green apple fruitiness to go along with a light malt profile. Hops are barely detectable, just a faint balancing on the finish. The fine carbonation makes for a nice mouthfeel. Sounds like this is yet another rebranded retro beer, the history of Duquesne is quite impressive though. 1899 to 1972 is a good, long run for sure. Id buy it for 16 bucks a case, always like having a few lawnmower lagers in the fridge.

twiggamortis420, Aug 20, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Have been looking forward to trying this since it came out and finally got my hands on it out near Harrisburg. It exceeded all my expectations and really jumped to the top of my list. It's a true Pennsylvania beer and I'm happy to see its back and doing so well.

Appearance - It pours a solid white head with a bright gold color to it, making it very appealing.

Smell - It has a little earthy hop aroma tucked in, with a strong malty scent, balanced pretty well.

Taste - It really has a strong malty sweetness to it, which is fine, but what makes it so good is how smooth it is. Also it has no aftertaste to it and it is a very refreshing beer.

Feel - It makes it a rich beer by the carbonation not being too severe and not too weak.

Overall - This is a very refreshing beer and smooth that I highly recommend people giving it a try. Especially at the price point, it is simply a steal right now I feel. I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses and have become of big fan of this hometown beer. Best of Luck!

shealoftus14, Aug 17, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -45.2%

Ack.

This is a serious mistake of a beer despite the good intentions of the brewers to bring some life back to Pittsburgh's brewing market.

Don't even waste your time with this. Many people make the point that this beer is "worth" the money because it comes in around $16/case. For $16, there are a couple other much better beers out there (heck, PBR is $11 and infinitely better in the macro-swill category).

Duquesne has all the usual characteristics of the usual not-worth-your-time macros and nothing to set it apart. It pours/smells/foams/looks like any ol' lager, tastes worse and doesn't even have the cool factor of a real local institution like Iron City (not that I'm advocating you drink Iron, but you have to admit that there is some cache in carrying an Iron in your koozie).

At first try, I thought this beer was skunked, but wanted to give the company the benefit of the doubt so tried it again...and again. And it failed to impress every time.

Pass on Duquesne.

dabruddah, Aug 11, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -6.8%

Can poured into a pint glass. A buddy gave me a can of this so here is my review. This company was also at the Harrisburg Brewer's Fest trying to get their name out there, so here we go.

A: Not bad for an adjunct lager (or at least that's what it seems like.) The color is slightly darker than many macros and the head and head retention were significantly better than Budweiser or a similar product

S: This smells like ginger ale. Ginger ale is seriously the entire aroma to me, ginger ale and nothing but ginger ale.

T: The taste is also quite unique for an adjunct lager. The alcohol taste seems present in the finish, which I have never had while drinking an adjunct lager (this is only 5%.) The taste is sweet, with some ginger ale taste and grain, and then alcohol. That's about it.

M: The MF seems pretty standard. Not thick and full bodied, but not complete water. The carbonation is a little high but not bad at all.

O: This is one of the weirdest tasting beers I have ever had. I wonder if I am the only one who is making comparisons here to ginger ale, but that is seriously exactly what the taste and smell remind me of. Not terrible, but I won't ever buy it. If i were going to be having cheap swill, I would still be reaching for the PBR.

jifigz, Jul 28, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -12.9%

Been meaning to check this one out for a while - took me a year to get to it!

Poured into a pilsner: Pale golden yellow body, transparent, with a few strands of moderate nucleation under a finger of soft, foamy head that sinks to a thin coating & slowly slides down the sides of the glass.

Smells of lightly sweet & sugary graininess, like oat bran, with a mild mustiness like rain. A little lemony spritz shows up.

Sweet cracker & a zing like lemon soda lead the taste, flattening out a bit in the middle with a kind of bland bitterness while maintaining the cereal sweetness around the edges. Sweet in the aftertaste, too. After a bit, I get that lag that's kind of like eating plain oatmeal, not a great thing.

Active, crisp attack in the mouthfeel that thins out & gets a little flat, but ends firm.

Not blowing my socks off, but definitely would work in the right context: cook-out, late-night. I'd put it in the same league as Yuengling Lager: not something I'd seek out, but a squarely palatable alternative to the big boys. At the price point, it's definitely worth it.

OneDropSoup, Jul 11, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -3.7%

thanks to carlos for sharing, I read a while back this would be returning and was interested in trying it for myself since I never tasted the original. Tasted from a pint poured from the can chilled.

The color is golden and the lager has slight chill haze with a thick white cream top from a semi vigorous pour. The carbonation is visible with some gentle lace on the glass. The smell is slightly fruity with mild grain aroma, a mild yeast ester. The feel is sem-sweet slight malt and yeas smoothness with moderate cabonation and gentle diacetyl.

The flavor is a mild malt with a tinge of diactetyl in the taste up front. The malt is gentle and somewhat sweet and there is a mild hop flavor which leans more toward the citrus and noble type with a yeast element that is almost bready. I like the flavor enough to say it is on par for the style. I admit this style is not one I would go for that often but depending on the occasion this could be very drinkable and seems like it could be a decent summer refresher.

Slatetank, Jul 10, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

Bought a case when i went home to visit my parents. The price was right (about $16 a case). The beer falls inline with most macro tasting beers and I'd gladly serve it at a party instead of Bud/Miller.

The company I believe is trying to capitalize off of the old Duquesne name with a nostalgic brand resurgence. I am too young to have any connection with the Duke brand of beer and the quality of the beer won't have me running back to get more, unless I need a cheap case for a party.

in general the best part of the beer is the price point.

Stanhagen, Jun 22, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

The CANQuest (TM) is about to indulge in some nostalgia following the hiatus to align the bottle and on-tap numbers. This was a Pittsburgh beer that went away before I came along. It has since been revived by a couple of lawyer-types and is brewed in Latrobe. I met one of their sons at the Pints for Pets fest in Altoona recently, but I think that this CAN was courtesy of tone77.

From the CAN: "The Finest Beer In Town!"; "Born out of a hard work ethic & a pride in craftsmanship Duquesne Your Hometown Beer"; "Sealed In Purity"; "Prince of Pilsener".

It is pronounced "Duke-Cane" and one of the old tag lines was "Have a Duke, Mister!" I believe I will and I only wish that I could be on the incline while doing so.

Ah, the sweet sounds of the Crack & Glug! It is nice to be drinking CANned beer again, if you CAN believe it. The massive foaming head was French Vanilla in color and sat atop the beer like the top of a sno-cone. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had a bready sweetness to it and the best part - NO adjuncts! Mouthfeel was medium with a biscuity malty flavor on the tongue. I really like these types of beers in a CAN, especially after so many AALs. Not much going in the way of hops, but I'll forgive that in lieu of everything else that I do like about this beer. Finish tended more towards sweet than anything else, but not in a cloying way. You CAN bet that this will be going into the cooler!

woodychandler, Jun 13, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

Duquesne Pilsner pours a very light gold color and is completely clear. The white head looks pretty good, and the retention is OK, but I don't really get any lacing.

The aroma has some light, grainy scents, and even a little bit of hops.

This beer is better than I expected. Lightly sweet pale malt, with some cracker flavor to it. The finish has just a hint of hop flavor to it, in the form of a low bitterness and some earthy flavors. The flavor overall isn't too powerful, but it is decent.

The mouthfeel is light, fairly well-carbonated.

I expected this beer to be horrible, but really it is fine. I would certainly reach for this before I grabbed a standard macro lager. Not too flavorful, but not offensive and easy to drink.

Hojaminbag, Jun 02, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: Duquesne Pilsner pours a light, crystal clear, golden color with a solid white head that lasted for a bit, but dropped to a ring and didn't leave much of anything interesting in the form of lacing.

Aroma: It has a strong malty/bready scent, with a little hint of earthy/spicey hop aroma tucked in.

Taste: It really hits with a strong malty sweetness right off the bat and doesn't really go anywhere from there. Right at the end there is a hint of hops in the aftertaste.

Feel: This seems to have lower carbonation than expected. It feels a little slick and light bodied, may be a little watery.

Overall: For a beer that is far from crazy in the way of complexity, this is surprisingly refreshing. It's probably good for a quick lawn mowing break or at a ball game with a burger or dog. A descent smooth, quick drinking, refreshing beer. Not sure why but there is definitely something about the label that I really dig.

Serving: 12 oz can in shaker
Date: 5/31/2011

jmshulk, May 31, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -6.8%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: golden yellow with a 1 finger white head

smell: bread, lager yeast,

taste: malty, bread, lager yeast

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin to medium body,

overall: nice crisp refreshing beer to enjoy on the deck or at a BBQ. Glad I got to try it since I never heard of this brewing company before.

cheers,l
the CPJ

THECPJ, May 29, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of malts, some grains. Taste is crisp, malty, a bit sweet, very refreshing and easy drinking. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall considering the low price tag, this beer was a pleasent surprise and worth seeking out.

tone77, May 21, 2011
3.25/5  rDev 0%

Golden appearance--almost transparent--with a decent rim. Steady carbonation bubbles rise to the top.

A dry sweetness in the nose; hay-like; grains & floral hops. Fairly mild.

Taste is attenuated with a syrupy body. Hops are a little reserved, but do provide for a lot of the flavor.

Medium-bodied with discernible attenuation.

Notes: A good-for-the-price kind of beer, plus some. A poor man's pilsner. Duquesne Pilsener Beer comes off like Pittsburgh Brewing Company's Augustiner (Vienna Lager) without the brown sugar, sweet amber flavor. Incidentally, I think the two brews are brewed by the same brewery or at the same location.

DerekP, Apr 16, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -45.2%

Wegman's was offering this out as free samples when I was there one day. This beer was very over hyped by the lady serving it there. She was talking about how wonderful it was and this and that about everything.

I proceeded to look at the sample she poured me while she was trying to spoon feed me her story and thought to myself... Could this beer be any lighter in color? It was very light yellow with a pitiful little head on it. I took my first sip after smelling virtually nothing but some faint aroma of grain. The taste was very muted, I started asking myself could this be worse than Coors Light? There's such a minimal amount of anything in this beer I really couldn't formulate much for this review.

The beer is extremely cheap too, I think it was like $5 for a 6-pack. I wanted to cry...

Knapp85, Apr 07, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +20%

This beer is a revival from the old brew that shutdown in 1972. They started making this again recently and it is pretty good! Made in the old Latrobe brewery since Rolling Rock was bought out and moved.

The beer is a Pilsner and has a smooth taste, no bitterness, and no malty taste to it. It can almost be compared to an Iron City beer in taste with more barley taste and more body to it probably since they use extra malting somewhere along the way. The average beer drinker should like the taste of this beer along with the seasoned beer drinker.

PAvolksbiermann, Apr 03, 2011