Duquesne Pilsener Beer - Duquesne Bottling Company

Duquesne Pilsener BeerDuquesne Pilsener Beer

Duquesne Bottling Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 09-03-2010)
2.28/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a light to medium golden color with a billowy white head that faded very fast leaving little to no lacing.

Smell – The smell is mainly corn in nature, with just the slightest bit of citrus.

Taste – The taste is very similar to the smell. Mainly semi-sweet corn malt overall, but with a very slight citrus flavor detected at the end, which when mixed with the corn flavor leave a somewhat unpleasant taste in the mouth.

Mouthfeel – The mouthfeel is light and somewhat watery with a higher level of carbonation.

Overall – Not really a great brew. Nothing about it is all that good and its likely one to pass over in the beer aisle.

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

3.5/5  rDev +8%

3.5/5  rDev +8%

This beer has a nice straw gold color body with a nice white head on top. The smell is of barley and hops. The taste is sweet and some lemon notes. This one has a very nice mouth feel, is a easy drinker and i would recomend this to a beer drinker. It is not complex, so if you want complex this is a beer for you.

4.47/5  rDev +38%

Heard about this story so had to come across the state line to give it a try. Apparently it just came out in kegs so I happen to get it on draft and I was really impressed. Came out with a bright white head, went down very smooth and it left no aftertaste in my mouth. Couldn't believe how reasonably priced it is as well for cases. So far the best Pennsylvania Beer I have had and is now one of my beer of choices. Happy to see it back and how well its doing.

4.35/5  rDev +34.3%

A pretty delicious beer that i would recommend to any beer drinker. It pours a crisp straw yellow with a foamy smooth whitish head. It smells of premium hops and barley with a note of sweetness and bread. It tastes like any premium pils I have had before. Very smooth to the mouth and easy to go down and drink. Absolutely no stale aftertaste that you often get with pils. Overall I loved it and it is a memorable beer that I would tell any real beer drinker to try.

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a pale golden yellow with 1/4" of soft, bubbly, foamy, white head that has decent retention. The nose has notes of lager yeast, straw, and a hint of lemon. The taste is grassy and straw-like with notes of lemon and yeast. The mouthfeel is light bodied, well carbonated, and clean.

This is an easy drinking beer that's definitely sessionable. It's simple and one-dimensional so if you're in search of complexity you'll be disappointed, but otherwise it's good.

2.8/5  rDev -13.6%

!right straw yellow in color with good clarity. Poured with a brief white foamy head that quickly dissipated. Fresh grass and light, stale biscuit aromas with a touch of lemon. Medium bodied and crisp with assertive carbonation. Flavors are similar to aromas. Earthy fresh cut grass and light stalebready flavors. Finishes with a beady, light malty aftertaste. Generally unspectacular. Easy to drink but pretty unforgettable.

2.48/5  rDev -23.5%

I bought a 30-pack of this on a whim. Overall, it was something I wouldn't buy again. It has an odd, sweet kind of taste, a foamy head that doesn't stick around and not much in the way of carbonation. It tasted flat as soon as I poured it into my glass. If I need to buy a cheaper beer to stock the fridge, I'll stick to the PBR.

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

12 oz bottle courtesy of mgbickel. Pours a clear, light gold color with a fine-bubbled white head. Decent retention and lacing for the style.

Nose is light, sweet grains...not really husky/grainy smelling though. Touch of herbal hops with some nutty lager yeast.

Taste is not bad, but I dont really get much difference from an AAL. Light green apple fruitiness to go along with a light malt profile. Hops are barely detectable, just a faint balancing on the finish. The fine carbonation makes for a nice mouthfeel. Sounds like this is yet another rebranded retro beer, the history of Duquesne is quite impressive though. 1899 to 1972 is a good, long run for sure. Id buy it for 16 bucks a case, always like having a few lawnmower lagers in the fridge.

4.45/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Have been looking forward to trying this since it came out and finally got my hands on it out near Harrisburg. It exceeded all my expectations and really jumped to the top of my list. It's a true Pennsylvania beer and I'm happy to see its back and doing so well.

Appearance - It pours a solid white head with a bright gold color to it, making it very appealing.

Smell - It has a little earthy hop aroma tucked in, with a strong malty scent, balanced pretty well.

Taste - It really has a strong malty sweetness to it, which is fine, but what makes it so good is how smooth it is. Also it has no aftertaste to it and it is a very refreshing beer.

Feel - It makes it a rich beer by the carbonation not being too severe and not too weak.

Overall - This is a very refreshing beer and smooth that I highly recommend people giving it a try. Especially at the price point, it is simply a steal right now I feel. I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses and have become of big fan of this hometown beer. Best of Luck!

1.78/5  rDev -45.1%

Ack.

This is a serious mistake of a beer despite the good intentions of the brewers to bring some life back to Pittsburgh's brewing market.

Don't even waste your time with this. Many people make the point that this beer is "worth" the money because it comes in around $16/case. For $16, there are a couple other much better beers out there (heck, PBR is $11 and infinitely better in the macro-swill category).

Duquesne has all the usual characteristics of the usual not-worth-your-time macros and nothing to set it apart. It pours/smells/foams/looks like any ol' lager, tastes worse and doesn't even have the cool factor of a real local institution like Iron City (not that I'm advocating you drink Iron, but you have to admit that there is some cache in carrying an Iron in your koozie).

At first try, I thought this beer was skunked, but wanted to give the company the benefit of the doubt so tried it again...and again. And it failed to impress every time.

Pass on Duquesne.

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Can poured into a pint glass. A buddy gave me a can of this so here is my review. This company was also at the Harrisburg Brewer's Fest trying to get their name out there, so here we go.

A: Not bad for an adjunct lager (or at least that's what it seems like.) The color is slightly darker than many macros and the head and head retention were significantly better than Budweiser or a similar product

S: This smells like ginger ale. Ginger ale is seriously the entire aroma to me, ginger ale and nothing but ginger ale.

T: The taste is also quite unique for an adjunct lager. The alcohol taste seems present in the finish, which I have never had while drinking an adjunct lager (this is only 5%.) The taste is sweet, with some ginger ale taste and grain, and then alcohol. That's about it.

M: The MF seems pretty standard. Not thick and full bodied, but not complete water. The carbonation is a little high but not bad at all.

O: This is one of the weirdest tasting beers I have ever had. I wonder if I am the only one who is making comparisons here to ginger ale, but that is seriously exactly what the taste and smell remind me of. Not terrible, but I won't ever buy it. If i were going to be having cheap swill, I would still be reaching for the PBR.

2.83/5  rDev -12.7%

Been meaning to check this one out for a while - took me a year to get to it!

Poured into a pilsner: Pale golden yellow body, transparent, with a few strands of moderate nucleation under a finger of soft, foamy head that sinks to a thin coating & slowly slides down the sides of the glass.

Smells of lightly sweet & sugary graininess, like oat bran, with a mild mustiness like rain. A little lemony spritz shows up.

Sweet cracker & a zing like lemon soda lead the taste, flattening out a bit in the middle with a kind of bland bitterness while maintaining the cereal sweetness around the edges. Sweet in the aftertaste, too. After a bit, I get that lag that's kind of like eating plain oatmeal, not a great thing.

Active, crisp attack in the mouthfeel that thins out & gets a little flat, but ends firm.

Not blowing my socks off, but definitely would work in the right context: cook-out, late-night. I'd put it in the same league as Yuengling Lager: not something I'd seek out, but a squarely palatable alternative to the big boys. At the price point, it's definitely worth it.

3.13/5  rDev -3.4%

thanks to carlos for sharing, I read a while back this would be returning and was interested in trying it for myself since I never tasted the original. Tasted from a pint poured from the can chilled.

The color is golden and the lager has slight chill haze with a thick white cream top from a semi vigorous pour. The carbonation is visible with some gentle lace on the glass. The smell is slightly fruity with mild grain aroma, a mild yeast ester. The feel is sem-sweet slight malt and yeas smoothness with moderate cabonation and gentle diacetyl.

The flavor is a mild malt with a tinge of diactetyl in the taste up front. The malt is gentle and somewhat sweet and there is a mild hop flavor which leans more toward the citrus and noble type with a yeast element that is almost bready. I like the flavor enough to say it is on par for the style. I admit this style is not one I would go for that often but depending on the occasion this could be very drinkable and seems like it could be a decent summer refresher.

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

Bought a case when i went home to visit my parents. The price was right (about $16 a case). The beer falls inline with most macro tasting beers and I'd gladly serve it at a party instead of Bud/Miller.

The company I believe is trying to capitalize off of the old Duquesne name with a nostalgic brand resurgence. I am too young to have any connection with the Duke brand of beer and the quality of the beer won't have me running back to get more, unless I need a cheap case for a party.

in general the best part of the beer is the price point.

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

The CANQuest (TM) is about to indulge in some nostalgia following the hiatus to align the bottle and on-tap numbers. This was a Pittsburgh beer that went away before I came along. It has since been revived by a couple of lawyer-types and is brewed in Latrobe. I met one of their sons at the Pints for Pets fest in Altoona recently, but I think that this CAN was courtesy of tone77.

From the CAN: "The Finest Beer In Town!"; "Born out of a hard work ethic & a pride in craftsmanship Duquesne Your Hometown Beer"; "Sealed In Purity"; "Prince of Pilsener".

It is pronounced "Duke-Cane" and one of the old tag lines was "Have a Duke, Mister!" I believe I will and I only wish that I could be on the incline while doing so.

Ah, the sweet sounds of the Crack & Glug! It is nice to be drinking CANned beer again, if you CAN believe it. The massive foaming head was French Vanilla in color and sat atop the beer like the top of a sno-cone. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had a bready sweetness to it and the best part - NO adjuncts! Mouthfeel was medium with a biscuity malty flavor on the tongue. I really like these types of beers in a CAN, especially after so many AALs. Not much going in the way of hops, but I'll forgive that in lieu of everything else that I do like about this beer. Finish tended more towards sweet than anything else, but not in a cloying way. You CAN bet that this will be going into the cooler!

Duquesne Pilsener Beer from Duquesne Bottling Company