1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale - Hermitage Brewing

1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale

poor

Hermitage Brewing visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-13-2011)
4.25/5  rDev +74.9%

3.98/5  rDev +63.8%

Enjoyed this one. Poured in to a snifter. Cheery red hue, small head that quickly fades, a touch of carbonation visible when held up to the light. Smells of old socks, cherries, a touch of vinegar, green jolly ranchers...just funky, complex, and tart in general. The taste is cherry dominant with a touch of vinegar and oddly enough, bitter chocolate at the finish. The mouth feel is light to medium bodied. I've had this before and would definitely have it again in the future.

3.63/5  rDev +49.4%

My first sour but reading the reviews when I got home I should of gotten a better example to introduce me to the style but it was $2.99 so I thought I'd give it a try.

Pours light red and smells of cherries. Tastes of cherries and sour like I would expect since the style is called sour ale.

If I didn't read the reviews I would of thought this is a great example of a sour ale but I like it and that's all that matters.

3.63/5  rDev +49.4%

Poured into a half pint glass. Small cream head with a pleasant nose of sweet tart. The color is a very nice amber haze. Reminds me of clover honey. The taste is first bitter then sour and quickly turns tart with a touch of sweetness. Perfect carbonation and body. The finish is very clean and dry. I was a little apprehensive to try this style but I was pleasantly surprised how nice it was. You have good color, nose, taste, mouth feel. Hell it even had pretty good lacing on the glass. Not for carbonation alcohol water lovers or hop heads, but a great Sour ale (not that I had a lot of sours) for people looking and willing to try all things Beer. Very nice.

3.5/5  rDev +44%

Bomber poured into a large tumbler, "1 door" (the label shows a red door, but only says "flemish style sour ale") is a hazy dull amber with an off-white head that leaves light lace.

Smell is sweet bready, amber malt, a little acetic acid, and some metal. Not the most scrumpious, but I'm confident I'd identify the style with a blind smell test.

Taste is similar. This isn't a great oud bruin, but it's firmly in the guidelines stylistically. Oud bruin's aren't generally that sour, and I think lots of folks confuse them with flander's red. That said, this one is not malty enough, and the phenols give it that metallic bite, but I think it's a solidly authentic effort for a stateside take, especially for the value price.

Mouthfeel is dry and acidic, with a medium light, slightly watery body.

Drinkability is fine. Is this the tastiest beer, no. But it's stylistically correct, has some phenolic character, acidic, and is only really lacking in the fact that it could be maltier (and heavier). The high ABV is well hidden. I think it's a victim of the audience (some of which I'd assume due to it's availability are not familiar with the style), and presentation as a value mega-store brand take on the style, more so then the actual execution.

3.35/5  rDev +37.9%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an EKU 28 snifter in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Paired with pretzel goldfish (hey, they're scrumptious, alright!?). Expectations are poor given its current rating on the site (and my own observed tendency to rarely rate a beer higher than the aggregate).

A: Pours a one finger head of fair cream and thickness, and good retention. Colour is a transparent bright copper-red. Generally appealing. Nothing unique catches me fancy.

Sm: The aroma is dominated by pleasant bright fruits - likely cherry and raspberry. Cream. Lightly toasted malt perhaps. A bit vinegary. No hops or roast. No yeast. Quite pleasant and inviting overall. The fermented cherry is quite fanciful. A moderately strong, but subtle aroma.

T: Cherry is dominant, with a lovely berry climax accompanied by light sourness and perhaps some wild yeast. It isn't horribly complex, but the fruit esters never feel artifical or syrupy. It's well balanced and built all around in spite of its disappointing simplicity. The flavours aren't horribly strong, but I find them enjoyable. It's not refreshing, but it's clean and pleasant. I do like it.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours nicely - if only by not intruding. Perhaps a bit too thin. Cream would be out of place here. Light on the palate. It stays out of the way just as it should, letting the flavours preside.

Dr/Ov: Quite drinkable, especially for the above average ABV - which is well concealed. I'd have it again, ideally on draught. The ABV is too low for aging, and the sourness not quite pronounced enough. I look forward to trying more beers from this brewery. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer.

Probably best served with an acidic cheese. It didn't suit the pretzel goldfish particularly well. It drank just fine out of me snifter.

The aroma is probably my favourite aspect of this beer, but the taste doesn't quite deliver on the promise of the aroma - at least not in the case of the fruit. For this reason I've deducted from the overall; I believe it belongs in the middle of the B- range.

B-

3.28/5  rDev +35%

Sampled August 2011
A steady pour into my large Triple Karmeliet Tulip produces a two finger thick, nicely amber tinged tan colored head; it even leaves some layered lacing on the sides of my glass as it slowly subsides. The beer is a dark, concentrated amber / brown color that shows a bright red, somewhat hazy hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells quite fruity with lots of tartness and fruit character that reminds me of cherries, lots of tart raisin notes and even some dark plum notes (this last seem concentrated, though not quite enough to be called prune-like). Brown sugar and pale toasted whole grain aromatics serve as a backdrop to the up-front fruitiness; if you really dig the malt character becomes a bit more present, but it never completely shakes the tart cherry notes. The tartness here in the nose seems more fruit like than either acetic or lactic for some reason.

Nicely tart tasting up front, the beer even gets a little more tart as it rolls across the tongue. The tartness tastes strongly of cherries; again it makes me think that the sourness is from fruit rather than lactic or acetic fermentation, but there is a brighter, somewhat thin acidity in the finish that doesn’t really seem fruit derived. There is a nice, soft, browned malt note to this that adds a touch of almost burnt grain bitterness, as well as touch of toasted browned grain character. Some of the rich malt character seems to be contributed by some oxidized malt flavors that provide some nuttiness as well as a hint of sherry like notes; though with the fruitiness this definitely seems to have some flavors of port to it. The body of this beer has some fullness to it, there is not a lot of viscousness here and the beer actually finishes pretty light on the palate. The cherry character in this beer almost tastes as if cherries were added to this beer; the type of cherries seem more like bing type cherries rather than the rich sour pie-type cherries that provide the best flavor.

There is not much information about this beer that I could find, given that it is such a departure for this brewery, I almost wonder if the acidity was artificially added. The tartness here is quite a bit different from what I am used to, but that doesn’t mean it is artificially added; it just has me wondering. Even given my questioning, this beer is actually probably a bit better than I was expecting.

3.03/5  rDev +24.7%

A-Pours clear copper red with a bubbly cola brown head. Reduces quickly, leaving traces of soapy lacing.

S-Smells like a piece of cardboard soaked with Rodenbach. A little tart cherry, somewhat sweet.

T/M-Medium bodied and sweet, with a suggestion of tart cherry. Sweeter than some of the more accomplished beers this style has to offer. Reminds me of the Ichtegems (Strubbe) Flemish sour. A metallic penny flavor on the back end. The sweetness gets in the way after awhile.

O-I get the impression some people are being extra tough on this because it's one of those beers that seems to be made exclusively for BevMo. Beer politics aside, this no worse than your average flemish sour.

A: Pours brown with a slight red hue with no head. ring around the glass is slightly off white
S: Smells like a warhead. Sugary sweet with a bit of sourness. Interesting...
T: slightly fruity with some caramel sweetness, sourness comes in mid drink along with a slight funk. tart on the swallow yielding to a slight malty taste that fades to funk
M: low carbonation and thin in the mouth
O: not bad for 2.50 but it does leave a bit to be desired in both tartness and boldness of flavor

A - Pours a fairly clear amber-orange color with a thin layer of frothy off-white head. The head fades down quickly leaving behind a little lace.

S - Aroma is a mix of sour green apple, a bit of dark fruit, funky yeast, sour cherry, some acidity, and a bit of booze.

T - Starts off with some sour green apple and cherry with some tartness and acidity. Through the middle, some more sour and lightly funky flavors come through with a bit of sweet malt. The finish is a mix of sour and tart green apple and cherry with some acidity, funk, and a bit of booze.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a tart and acidic finish.

D - Pretty drinkable. The sour and tartness is nice, but there seems to be a bit of off flavors mixed in a well throwing off the balance.

2.88/5  rDev +18.5%

Thanks to deranma for bringing this over to taste. Bomber with no date poured into a white wine glass.

Pours a deep dirty amber with a bit of haze. Almost like a cola after the ice has melted. Minimal head, actually pours like a barleywine.

Musty cherry sweet tarts. Some sour cherry notes as well. A hint of malt and the off aromas of wild yeast.

Slightly sour cherry up front. Tastes old but not over the hill old. Doesnt taste like a sour per say, but slightly watery. Some malt notes definitely come in, the end but not much here to remember.

Nicely carbonated, medium bodied. Enjoyable in the mouth.

Nothing here makes me excited. I am not going to bash this, but I wouldnt be looking for this in the future.

2.88/5  rDev +18.5%

NOTE**** I am not an expert on sours, I am still trying to get a handle on them, so please take this with a grain of salt.

App - I love the ruby red/amber color that this bottle poured. Very lush and well, just pretty.

Smell - Fruity and sweet

Taste - A bit of tart/sour but there is really a much larger presence of sweet malt that takes over the beer.

Mouthfeel - Very full, almost think and syrupy

Drinkability - Very much a sipper, not something I would just "drink"

Over all - I like but I know I have alot to learn about sours.

2.85/5  rDev +17.3%

Peculiar amber ale.

Well, I'd call it indescribable, but I'll try. First, it's not actually sour-- tho that's overdone by some sour styles in my opinion. Tart, some hops, bit of carbonated prune juice-- or maybe it's the secret ingredient-- Dr. Pepper. Very pretty head and decent lacing, so you can't fault it there.

I read most of the reviews, and people think it's totally not on style. Okay, that seems to be my complaint lately about a lot of beers. So what the hell is it? But this is quite drinkable, kind of an anemic funkiness and some odd biterness with a hint of candy. Not actually worse than the Stone Cal-Belgie that spent too long on the shelves.

22 oz from BevMo.

2.83/5  rDev +16.5%

Big thanks goes out to my doppelganger for sharing this one during a tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a deep red-orange with with a minimal off-white head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, candied sugar, caramel, and sugar. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, wood, and very subtle tart. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this wasn't an overly good brew. There was just something about this one that didn't agree with my palate. For the style that this is 'supposed' to be in, it is definitely not in the league of others in the style. Worth trying if you want to tick it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale from Hermitage Brewing