1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale - Hermitage Brewing

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-13-2011

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 66 | Reviews: 40

Bottle was on sale at BevMo for $2.99/bomber. I knew it was a mistake to buy, but I did it anyways. Chalk that up to wild college days where we used to drink crazy shit out of a used soccer cleat.

Anyways, this beer pours a murky reddish brown. Like overused transmission fluid. Minimal head, minimal lacing. Smells of chemicals and vinegar. Taste is rich up front, then a flood of astrigent, tart, vinegary pain. There is a sharp spiciness like someone spilled 409 cleaner in my glass. Wow, an absolutely horrendous beer. Hard to comment on mouthfeel when I spit it out.

Yeah, another strike against Hermitage. This has to be the worst attempt at a sour beer I've had...even unintentionally infected beer is better than this stuff.

1.08/5  rDev -55.7%

A: Pours mahogany with a little white head, fair retention, no lace.

S: Mix of cheese and strawberry syrup, a bit off at first but it got worse with it warming up.

T: Soured raw milk flavour and rancid cheese. raw taste of lactic acid and wood are there, but it's not really tasty. Not terrible, I can barely drink it, but nothing I really want to come back to.

M: Medium-bodied, light acidity, not smooth.

D: It's well below average. I'm pouring it out as this is a dumper. I can't finish the bomber, and it's not something I'd buy again even at the very low price point.

1.37/5  rDev -43.9%

Slightly hazy reddish colour with a collar of dark beige bubbles and a bit of spotty lacing. Smells sort of earthy, caramel sweetness, a bit of berry tartness, but also cheesy and rotten fruit, a little cardboard too. The flavour was not good at all. The bitterness and sourness that was present made for a terrible combination and didn't work at all with the berry and caramel flavours. I picked up some vinegar and more cardboard too. Lightish bodied, low carbonation (there wasn't much of a hiss when the cap was popped). This was a complete mess and a drain pour. I really should have checked BA before purchasing, but I thought, "How bad could it really be?". And at $4, it wouldn't have needed to be amazing for me to feel I'd gotten my money's worth. Purchasing expired lottery tickets would have been a better use of that cash.

1.49/5  rDev -38.9%

Bomber from BevMo Sunnyvale. Will this be the best value sour ale I’ve ever had at $3.49 a bomber, or will it suck?

Looks decent, deep crimson red in color with a small light beige head that leaves a film and ring around the glass

The aroma is not good. Well, there’s not much to it, but what there is is rubber and mildly tart cherries. Weird.

The flavor is a strange, strange mix of cherry, root beer, and rubber bands. Holy crap this is crap.

Medium-bodied with minimal acidity and average carbonation.

For the style, this is damn near rock bottom. Sorry, but I think these guys need to work on their sour brewing a little more before they end up with something half decent.

1.51/5  rDev -38.1%

22oz of Flemish Sour for $3.49. Be very afraid! Poured from a bomber into my N'ice Chouffe goblet. Decent amber color with a big, 3 fingered, fluffy tan head to start with, but fades within 30 seconds to nothing, leaving OK lacing. Smell, wtf. Old hops, bad cider, wet dog, fowl. Tastes of funky, tea leafy, old hops, an off sort of sour, booze. Sorta prickly OK mouthfeel. Thin. Bad. Avoid.

1.56/5  rDev -36.1%

Picked this up for like $4, thought what a steal. Well, price v. quality, I got ripped off.

Pours out, looks like a oud bruin/amber/red ale, so we're all good. Smell was the first sign things were not going good, just didn't take on any characteristic of style that it should, really just smelled like a metallic amber ale.

Taste, just awful. A bit of wood, lots of malt feel as if it were a regular red ale, no sourness whatsoever. Just tasted like an unintentional infected beer left on some wood. Hated it. Felt ashamed for bringing it.

1.83/5  rDev -25%

I made an account on this site in Dec 2011 to review this beer, but I never did.

Its now been a little over a year and I still remeber the main reason I made an account , although none of the details.

Stay away, far away!

Worst beer me and my girlfriend ever had.

We love sours , and all other beers.

This is the only beer(including bud) that's seen the drain. And I've had over 300 different beers since then.

Tasted metallic and like poison. Was on sale at bevmo for like $3 per bomber or something at the time. Its with less, way less. I'd rather drink water.

1.86/5  rDev -23.8%

No surprise here. A BevMo house brand - "Hermitage Ales" - listed as the producer. All of the stuff I've tried from them @ BevMo @ their Friday beer tastings has been passable at best. But I was feeling brave and thought I'd see how they did on the sour side. Not well, I can (un)comfortably report.
It starts out OK - nice appearance, decent head, at least it holds its carbonation in the bottle. Sadly, that's where the plaudits end.
It's got a nose of "old" stone fruits, like - dates left too long in the fridge comes to mind - and a cloyingly sweet candi sugar aroma. There's a soapy, ruddy taste, it's a bit sour, but leaves an expectation that it's not gonna end well... What a mess. The finish is much too long because it's unpleasant, hard to quantify, getting a hint of acetal, some raisin & prune, nothing good. Drain pour, obviously. Avoid.

1.97/5  rDev -19.3%

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for opening this one, Nathan!

A somewhat active dull crimson and brown, with a quickly forming, though fast disappearing tan head. This leaves spots of lace down the glass. Not particularly unattractive.

I knew this wasn't going to be a very good beer upon first whiff. It immediately reminded me of celery, salt, and V8 tomato juice. There's a bit of vinegar acidity, but not a lot. There may also be some lettuce aroma, which is altogether strange.

The taste isn't much, if any, better, though the distinct V8 character is missing. It's more of a dulled, mild Flanders, with a bit of both cherry and sherry, and quite a bit of cardboard oxidation. Unimpressed.

Thin to medium mouthfeel and somewhat lifeless.

Not at all a good example of the style...or of anything for that matter.

1.98/5  rDev -18.9%

pours a decent strawberry rhubarb amber hue with a thin frothy head that fades quickly but leaves some decent lacing.

aroma is simple malt, hops, a hint of earthy caramel malt... mild and a bit tepid.

whoah. tart. but not in a flanders style. nor an ejoyable one. thin, acrid, sharp, tastes like licking rust off of an empty can that once contained goat cheese that was left out in the sun. There's nothing enjoyable going on here... yes, it's sour, but it tastes like homebrew gone wrong. Lacking the sweetness, the depth, and the complexity that most flanders (or most sours, at that) are characterized by.

mouth is fizzy, sprightly, with a cloyingly acidic and almost metallic finish.

I can't imagine this was an intentional sour. It tastes like a mistake. though I think the bigger mistake was deciding to put it in bottles and market it as a Flanders style ale. which it isn't. I'd really like to think that I'm completely off-base here and my palate is just a bit off tonight. but it's a tough one.

2.01/5  rDev -17.6%

I pour the bomber into my Lost Abbey tulip. It was cheap, like $3.50 at BevMo.

Pour is a bit thin and watery but there is some head that dissipates quickly leaving a rim of retention on the inside of the glass. Transparent dark copper in color.

Aroma is more sweet than sour. Strawberry, candy sugar and cherry. Seemingly one dimensional.

Taste reminds me of a brown ale with some added cherry flavor. It is far from good, but not terrible either.

Thin and watery with minimal carbonation to liven the mouthfeel.

Sometimes you have to drink beers like this to make you appreciate how great some of the other sours are. The brewer of this has some work to do. Despite this, I finished the bomber, and at $3.49, they priced it according to its quality. Hard to complain with that.

2.02/5  rDev -17.2%

I picked this up without knowing anything about it because it was on special and super cheap, and I'm trying to learn more about sours.

I learned my lesson all right.

A: Pours a berry-apple juice color with a bit of tan foam.

S: Strawberries, yeast similar to a wheat beer, hay, and diacetyl.

T: Sour grapes, berries, a bit of malt, and spoiled fruit. It's a bitter sourness! Strong lactic acid aftertaste.

M: Lackluster carbonation, unimpressive mouthfeel.

D: I enjoyed the sour grape flavor, but I hate milk so the lactic acid aftertast made it nearly undrinkable for me. After the first 1/3 of the bottle I was basically forcing myself to choke it down. I'll confess that I eventually diluted it with some juice to make it palatable, because that's how much I hate to waste beer.

I'm not an expert in sours but this was obviously a spoiled batch of something else that they tried to pass off as a Flemish sour. Bad form, guys!

2.06/5  rDev -15.6%

What's this? Something new at BevMo? And it says it's a Flemish Sour ale...I'll give it a try in spite of the poor BA rating. Let's try it out

Poured from bottle into my New Belgium snifter. Nose is...not enticing haha. It doesn't smell sour at all. In fact, it has kind of an oily smell to it. Poured into the glass, it's a dark reddish color. A thin head quickly dissipates. Let's see how it tastes...

Not very good. It's not horrible, but it certainly isn't anything I'd buy it again. It's like a sour barleywine. That's what it reminds me of. Aftertaste isn't very pleasant. In fact, this doesn't really taste like any other Flanders Oud Bruin that I've had.

Overall, I wouldn't buy this again. I merely tried it for science! It's disappointing. But then again, I didn't have high hopes for it to begin with. Oh well. Good thing I have a backup bottle of Hop Stoopid in the fridge.

2.08/5  rDev -14.8%

A: No head. Im not sure if that was due to an improper glass being used or what but i counted about 16 bubbles on top. I wasn't impressed.

S: It didn't smell sour. I smelled a hint of yeast but it wasn't overpowering. It just was a cheap beer smell.

T: It wasn't as sour as I wanted it to be. I really enjoy sour beers (favorite so far is the Consecration) but it was sour enough to feel the tartness in my throat a little bit. Again I wish it were more sour.

M: It had a kind of lingering oily feel. Didn't tase bad, but it felt like there was a thin oily film coating the inside of my mouth. Not very pleasant.

O: It was worth a try mainly because I like sour beers and it was a whopping $2.35 at BevMo. I won't be buying this again.

2.2/5  rDev -9.8%

(22oz bottle). Pours clear mahogany/cola color. Aroma of candied sugar, biscuit cookies, but not sour. Taste is sweet with a metallic taste. No real sourness/tartness. This is just bad. It's a drain pour and not worth drinking more than a couple of sips. It's the worst attempt at a sour that I've come across. It tastes like an infected double.

2.22/5  rDev -9%

App: A nice red mahogany. little to no head.

Sm: smells like sour apple. for 7% ABV you dont notice any alcohol.

tst: slightly sour at first followed by a bitter aftertaste. I want it to be more sour and complex.

mtf: very light and thin, and after awhile it leaves a slippery film in your mouth

overall: for 2.45 you cant complain, but it goes without saying that there are definitely better sour beers as well as ales out there

2.26/5  rDev -7.4%

This beer was a huge disappointment which ultimately was both a blessing and a curse. From the reviews I expected it to be horrible. People mentioned sour milk, unintentional infections, rubber bands and too many other awful things to mention, so when it went on sale for three dollars and change I said, 'Screw it. This thing sounds too terrible to pass up.'

Turns out I was wrong. It wasn't nearly bad enough to warrant my curiosity and it wasn't nearly good enough to ever think about buying again. It tasted like some sort of cherry prune juice. Not at all sour, not to style and generally unremarkable in every way.

2.28/5  rDev -6.6%

Looks strangely "clean" in the glass. Clear, light brown that glows ruby when held to the light. Virtually no head, just a little lace at the edge of the glass.

Not a whole lot hitting the nose. Some caramel malt and some mild citrus, but none of the complexity and vibrancy that the style usually offers.

The mouthfeel is appropriately light and effervescent.

The taste offers a bit more of the sour that I was hoping for, but it is a one note sourness that lacks depth and feels almost artificial. There's a toasted bread note that dutifully follows and some hop bitterness that follows in sequence, but the flavors never come together into a coherent whole. Cannot recommend.

2.32/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottle (no date) poured into a tulip glass. Let's see if this is as bad as everyone lets on.

Appearance: Clear dark red-brown-orange color. The red is somewhere between a cherry and copper color and there are some definite orange highlights in the beer as well which are more notable towards the end of the glass. The beer had an initial 1/4" tan foam, which died back to a thin layer across the top and a nice size ring. Some islands and strands of lacing noted, but hey tended to slowly slide back down the glass rather than stick. By the end of the glass the only foam left was the ring.

Smell: With the foam died back, a bit sweet and mildly boozy with a notable tart cherry smell. When swirled however...a solid hit of moldering paper and old straw. Not good. Maybe it is best that the foam dies back on this one. Good on one end, but then bad on the other.

Taste: Not very sour. Yes, there is some cherry like tartness in here, and maybe some sour flavor at the end, but it's quite mild. If anything...it's mildly juice like in character, like a tart cherry juice. So it's not exactly sour, it's more tart to me. Sure, this style can range a bit according to the description of this style, but this one seems much more like fermented tart cherry juice rather than a beer per se.

Mouthfeel: Initial carbonation upon pouring is gone pretty quickly after the beer sits for a few minutes. A bit sticky, and again, juice-like in character.

Overall / Drinkability: Not quite as bad as the other reviews let on, but not impressive or average either. I could not finish the 22oz bottle so it's definitely not very drinkable but I did finish my glass. Good color though.

2.32/5  rDev -4.9%

650 ml bottle. Pours a fairly dark brown with a small white head that leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is some light caramel, some brown sugar, and a bit of acetone. Not good, but certainly not terribly offensive. Taste is quite bland with some caramel sweetness, brown sugar, and a bit of acetic acid. Not particularly sour. Medium body low carbonation. Not very enjoyable, but not the worst beer I've had either.

2.4/5  rDev -1.6%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a clear mahogany with a mild white head, fair retention, no lace.

S: Mix of cheese and strawberry shortcake, a bit off putting at first but it grew on me.

T: Soured raw milk flavour and rancid cheese. Notes of lactic acid and wood are good, but it's not really tasty. Not terrible, I can drink it, but nothing I really want to come back to.

M: Medium-bodied, light acidity, fairly smooth.

D: At $3.50 a bomber, this would be a steal in the sour category if it was simply adequate. It's not, it's well below average. I'll finish the bomber, but it's not something I'd buy again even at the very low price point.

2.43/5  rDev -0.4%

500ml bottle.

Pours murky amber with a mahogany tinge. A quarter inch head of beige dissapated to a placid surface with zero lacing.

Aromatics are a blend of artificial fruit flavoring and stomach acid. Regurgetated cherry cough syrup, if you will.

Medium bodied with a slick, syrupy mouthfeel.

Bile-like lactic acid with rancid cherry flavoring starts the palate. Some caramel-laden malt tries to balance a sweet and tart profile.

Finishes with lingering cough syrup and cheesy, soured yogurt.

Yikes.

2.45/5  rDev +0.4%

Another review because I saw a cheap priced beer at BevMo.

A - Minimal head that faded quickly. No lacing. Reddish brown color.

S - Sweet, metallic smell. Not picking up any sour. Minimal cherry.

T - Taste is bad, bad, bad. Can hardly pick up the sour. Getting a little but of cherry. Aftertaste reminds me of having a penny in my mouth (don't ask me how I know that). Makes my tongue try to jump out of my mouth. Alcohol is very present.

M - Can't feel any carbonation. Very thin.

O - Please forgive my bland review, but that's what this beer is, bland. Even for a cheap price, I'd still rather pick something else up.

-Salud

2.46/5  rDev +0.8%

Crystal clear burnished mahogany water on the pour. A light cap settles out to a surface ring in a minute or so. Light lacing follows. Light and thin yet proving itself ever so slightly with time.

Smells like a Pale Ale from the NorthWest at first. Pokes its head out of the shell just a bit with some exposure, otherwise any sour associations are absent. Bit of rust and caramel malt can't hide and detracts a bit. The smell is surely the limiting factor here, barely coming up for air after 30 minutes or so.

Hint of cherry tartness on the flavor if you really reach for it. Bit of wood develops as well. Finishes with a lightly sweet and fruity close. Offers an off and on spritzy carbonation to liven up the feel but still suffers from the base beer.

Average feel and drink in the end. Starts off a bit watery but firms up with some exposure, offering a lightly tart finish. A 'forced' sour from pretty shoddy stock in my view, yet 'reasonable' with some air and if served at 50 degrees or greater....

2.47/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours an almost-clear, reddish amber color with a medium cream-colored head that disappears rather quickly. Scent is malty and very grainy. That's about it...not a very good nose whatsoever. Taste is initially malty with very light hints of sweet and sour flavors. I was not expecting anything great from this awful brewery, and I'm sure glad I didn't. Not a good example of this style, and has a very off-putting metallic taste. If you're going to label your beer as "sour", then it should be sour. The sad thing is, as awful of a representation of Flemish Style Sour this is, it's still one of Hermitage Brewings better offerings. Though I will not be purchasing this again. Mouthfeel is not very full-bodied and rather light. Drinkability is not very high

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »