2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale - Hermitage Brewing

1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale

poor

Hermitage Brewing visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-13-2011)
View: Beers (30) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 64 | Reviews: 40 | Show All Ratings:
EricSS

1.75/5  rDev -27.7%

I made an account on this site in Dec 2011 to review this beer, but I never did.

Its now been a little over a year and I still remeber the main reason I made an account , although none of the details.

Stay away, far away!

Worst beer me and my girlfriend ever had.

We love sours , and all other beers.

This is the only beer(including bud) that's seen the drain. And I've had over 300 different beers since then.

Tasted metallic and like poison. Was on sale at bevmo for like $3 per bomber or something at the time. Its with less, way less. I'd rather drink water.

02-05-2013 03:53:24 | More by EricSS
jtmartino

Bottle was on sale at BevMo for $2.99/bomber. I knew it was a mistake to buy, but I did it anyways. Chalk that up to wild college days where we used to drink crazy shit out of a used soccer cleat.

Anyways, this beer pours a murky reddish brown. Like overused transmission fluid. Minimal head, minimal lacing. Smells of chemicals and vinegar. Taste is rich up front, then a flood of astrigent, tart, vinegary pain. There is a sharp spiciness like someone spilled 409 cleaner in my glass. Wow, an absolutely horrendous beer. Hard to comment on mouthfeel when I spit it out.

Yeah, another strike against Hermitage. This has to be the worst attempt at a sour beer I've had...even unintentionally infected beer is better than this stuff.

01-14-2013 21:26:30 | More by jtmartino
Jemonster

2.4/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Nice reddish/amber brown. Glows nicely in the light. A lot of clarity for the style and color.

S: What I might expect. Straightforward funky sourdough smell, some faint hop character.

T: Toasted barley up front with sourness. Seems kind of like it has an odd choice of hops that doesn't quite fit in. Lacking the sweetness that it needs. Lingering bitterness clashes with the sour, but reminiscent of grapefruit. Some sour apple and unripe lemon are here too.

M: Pretty good. Light and easy drinking texture. Smooth and mellow if judging the mouthfeel alone.

O: I don't like it. Probably (definitely) the worst example of the style that I've come across. It's going to be a struggle to finish the bomber...should I even bother? It is strangely refreshing and palate cleansing though. The score here is a correction for the rest, and how I felt about this beer as a whole. I don't look at the average score before the review, so if it's high, maybe I got a bad bottle and will be willing to give it another chance because this beer is unreasonably bad.

10-13-2012 04:26:17 | More by Jemonster
ngeunit1

A - Pours a fairly clear amber-orange color with a thin layer of frothy off-white head. The head fades down quickly leaving behind a little lace.

S - Aroma is a mix of sour green apple, a bit of dark fruit, funky yeast, sour cherry, some acidity, and a bit of booze.

T - Starts off with some sour green apple and cherry with some tartness and acidity. Through the middle, some more sour and lightly funky flavors come through with a bit of sweet malt. The finish is a mix of sour and tart green apple and cherry with some acidity, funk, and a bit of booze.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a tart and acidic finish.

D - Pretty drinkable. The sour and tartness is nice, but there seems to be a bit of off flavors mixed in a well throwing off the balance.

06-15-2012 04:27:57 | More by ngeunit1
Burlyn

2.2/5  rDev -9.1%

App: A nice red mahogany. little to no head.

Sm: smells like sour apple. for 7% ABV you dont notice any alcohol.

tst: slightly sour at first followed by a bitter aftertaste. I want it to be more sour and complex.

mtf: very light and thin, and after awhile it leaves a slippery film in your mouth

overall: for 2.45 you cant complain, but it goes without saying that there are definitely better sour beers as well as ales out there

05-16-2012 03:04:42 | More by Burlyn
haver

3.63/5  rDev +50%

Poured into a half pint glass. Small cream head with a pleasant nose of sweet tart. The color is a very nice amber haze. Reminds me of clover honey. The taste is first bitter then sour and quickly turns tart with a touch of sweetness. Perfect carbonation and body. The finish is very clean and dry. I was a little apprehensive to try this style but I was pleasantly surprised how nice it was. You have good color, nose, taste, mouth feel. Hell it even had pretty good lacing on the glass. Not for carbonation alcohol water lovers or hop heads, but a great Sour ale (not that I had a lot of sours) for people looking and willing to try all things Beer. Very nice.

03-16-2012 05:09:29 | More by haver
SHODriver

A: Pours brown with a slight red hue with no head. ring around the glass is slightly off white
S: Smells like a warhead. Sugary sweet with a bit of sourness. Interesting...
T: slightly fruity with some caramel sweetness, sourness comes in mid drink along with a slight funk. tart on the swallow yielding to a slight malty taste that fades to funk
M: low carbonation and thin in the mouth
O: not bad for 2.50 but it does leave a bit to be desired in both tartness and boldness of flavor

02-25-2012 05:16:56 | More by SHODriver
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.28/5  rDev +35.5%

Sampled August 2011
A steady pour into my large Triple Karmeliet Tulip produces a two finger thick, nicely amber tinged tan colored head; it even leaves some layered lacing on the sides of my glass as it slowly subsides. The beer is a dark, concentrated amber / brown color that shows a bright red, somewhat hazy hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells quite fruity with lots of tartness and fruit character that reminds me of cherries, lots of tart raisin notes and even some dark plum notes (this last seem concentrated, though not quite enough to be called prune-like). Brown sugar and pale toasted whole grain aromatics serve as a backdrop to the up-front fruitiness; if you really dig the malt character becomes a bit more present, but it never completely shakes the tart cherry notes. The tartness here in the nose seems more fruit like than either acetic or lactic for some reason.

Nicely tart tasting up front, the beer even gets a little more tart as it rolls across the tongue. The tartness tastes strongly of cherries; again it makes me think that the sourness is from fruit rather than lactic or acetic fermentation, but there is a brighter, somewhat thin acidity in the finish that doesn’t really seem fruit derived. There is a nice, soft, browned malt note to this that adds a touch of almost burnt grain bitterness, as well as touch of toasted browned grain character. Some of the rich malt character seems to be contributed by some oxidized malt flavors that provide some nuttiness as well as a hint of sherry like notes; though with the fruitiness this definitely seems to have some flavors of port to it. The body of this beer has some fullness to it, there is not a lot of viscousness here and the beer actually finishes pretty light on the palate. The cherry character in this beer almost tastes as if cherries were added to this beer; the type of cherries seem more like bing type cherries rather than the rich sour pie-type cherries that provide the best flavor.

There is not much information about this beer that I could find, given that it is such a departure for this brewery, I almost wonder if the acidity was artificially added. The tartness here is quite a bit different from what I am used to, but that doesn’t mean it is artificially added; it just has me wondering. Even given my questioning, this beer is actually probably a bit better than I was expecting.

02-12-2012 03:29:00 | More by Gueuzedude
kojevergas

3.35/5  rDev +38.4%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an EKU 28 snifter in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Paired with pretzel goldfish (hey, they're scrumptious, alright!?). Expectations are poor given its current rating on the site (and my own observed tendency to rarely rate a beer higher than the aggregate).

A: Pours a one finger head of fair cream and thickness, and good retention. Colour is a transparent bright copper-red. Generally appealing. Nothing unique catches me fancy.

Sm: The aroma is dominated by pleasant bright fruits - likely cherry and raspberry. Cream. Lightly toasted malt perhaps. A bit vinegary. No hops or roast. No yeast. Quite pleasant and inviting overall. The fermented cherry is quite fanciful. A moderately strong, but subtle aroma.

T: Cherry is dominant, with a lovely berry climax accompanied by light sourness and perhaps some wild yeast. It isn't horribly complex, but the fruit esters never feel artifical or syrupy. It's well balanced and built all around in spite of its disappointing simplicity. The flavours aren't horribly strong, but I find them enjoyable. It's not refreshing, but it's clean and pleasant. I do like it.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours nicely - if only by not intruding. Perhaps a bit too thin. Cream would be out of place here. Light on the palate. It stays out of the way just as it should, letting the flavours preside.

Dr/Ov: Quite drinkable, especially for the above average ABV - which is well concealed. I'd have it again, ideally on draught. The ABV is too low for aging, and the sourness not quite pronounced enough. I look forward to trying more beers from this brewery. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer.

Probably best served with an acidic cheese. It didn't suit the pretzel goldfish particularly well. It drank just fine out of me snifter.

The aroma is probably my favourite aspect of this beer, but the taste doesn't quite deliver on the promise of the aroma - at least not in the case of the fruit. For this reason I've deducted from the overall; I believe it belongs in the middle of the B- range.

B-

02-10-2012 06:43:56 | More by kojevergas
thagr81us

South Carolina

2.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Big thanks goes out to my doppelganger for sharing this one during a tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a deep red-orange with with a minimal off-white head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, candied sugar, caramel, and sugar. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, wood, and very subtle tart. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this wasn't an overly good brew. There was just something about this one that didn't agree with my palate. For the style that this is 'supposed' to be in, it is definitely not in the league of others in the style. Worth trying if you want to tick it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

02-10-2012 04:42:45 | More by thagr81us
ehammond1

1.98/5  rDev -18.2%

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for opening this one, Nathan!

A somewhat active dull crimson and brown, with a quickly forming, though fast disappearing tan head. This leaves spots of lace down the glass. Not particularly unattractive.

I knew this wasn't going to be a very good beer upon first whiff. It immediately reminded me of celery, salt, and V8 tomato juice. There's a bit of vinegar acidity, but not a lot. There may also be some lettuce aroma, which is altogether strange.

The taste isn't much, if any, better, though the distinct V8 character is missing. It's more of a dulled, mild Flanders, with a bit of both cherry and sherry, and quite a bit of cardboard oxidation. Unimpressed.

Thin to medium mouthfeel and somewhat lifeless.

Not at all a good example of the style...or of anything for that matter.

01-24-2012 22:55:03 | More by ehammond1
TurboQuattro

2.05/5  rDev -15.3%

A: No head. Im not sure if that was due to an improper glass being used or what but i counted about 16 bubbles on top. I wasn't impressed.

S: It didn't smell sour. I smelled a hint of yeast but it wasn't overpowering. It just was a cheap beer smell.

T: It wasn't as sour as I wanted it to be. I really enjoy sour beers (favorite so far is the Consecration) but it was sour enough to feel the tartness in my throat a little bit. Again I wish it were more sour.

M: It had a kind of lingering oily feel. Didn't tase bad, but it felt like there was a thin oily film coating the inside of my mouth. Not very pleasant.

O: It was worth a try mainly because I like sour beers and it was a whopping $2.35 at BevMo. I won't be buying this again.

12-18-2011 22:19:08 | More by TurboQuattro
dcook11

3.98/5  rDev +64.5%

Enjoyed this one. Poured in to a snifter. Cheery red hue, small head that quickly fades, a touch of carbonation visible when held up to the light. Smells of old socks, cherries, a touch of vinegar, green jolly ranchers...just funky, complex, and tart in general. The taste is cherry dominant with a touch of vinegar and oddly enough, bitter chocolate at the finish. The mouth feel is light to medium bodied. I've had this before and would definitely have it again in the future.

11-15-2011 10:28:40 | More by dcook11
beerman21

2.63/5  rDev +8.7%

A-pours a deep burgodey color body. Pretty active carbonation very tight and small, little champagne like. Head disapates bit still present after about a minute.

S-reminds me of cherry flavor cough syrupe. A bit off putting but who am I to judge. I personally have never had this style before. Smells of black spur cherries maybe a bit of cocoa in the background.

T-not as sour as the aroma lead it up to be, very mild. Sour vinegar tingle but not very pronounced. More of the same with the aroma, mild tart black cherries. Not much else going on. Alot of medicinal flavor come through with the tart cherries. A bit all over the place. Yet I don't think balance is what the style intends to off anyways.

O- not crazy about this style, nor am I with this brew in particular. It's not bad, im not going really ba mouth it to much. Try for yourselves, but for me this is the last time I buy it. You live and you learn I guess.

11-10-2011 23:31:40 | More by beerman21
jethrodium

2.3/5  rDev -5%

650 ml bottle. Pours a fairly dark brown with a small white head that leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is some light caramel, some brown sugar, and a bit of acetone. Not good, but certainly not terribly offensive. Taste is quite bland with some caramel sweetness, brown sugar, and a bit of acetic acid. Not particularly sour. Medium body low carbonation. Not very enjoyable, but not the worst beer I've had either.

10-17-2011 04:24:14 | More by jethrodium
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

2.45/5  rDev +1.2%

500ml bottle.

Pours murky amber with a mahogany tinge. A quarter inch head of beige dissapated to a placid surface with zero lacing.

Aromatics are a blend of artificial fruit flavoring and stomach acid. Regurgetated cherry cough syrup, if you will.

Medium bodied with a slick, syrupy mouthfeel.

Bile-like lactic acid with rancid cherry flavoring starts the palate. Some caramel-laden malt tries to balance a sweet and tart profile.

Finishes with lingering cough syrup and cheesy, soured yogurt.

Yikes.

10-13-2011 00:24:40 | More by brewandbbq
biggied

1.08/5  rDev -55.4%

A: Pours mahogany with a little white head, fair retention, no lace.

S: Mix of cheese and strawberry syrup, a bit off at first but it got worse with it warming up.

T: Soured raw milk flavour and rancid cheese. raw taste of lactic acid and wood are there, but it's not really tasty. Not terrible, I can barely drink it, but nothing I really want to come back to.

M: Medium-bodied, light acidity, not smooth.

D: It's well below average. I'm pouring it out as this is a dumper. I can't finish the bomber, and it's not something I'd buy again even at the very low price point.

10-03-2011 02:05:22 | More by biggied
ccrida

Oregon

3.5/5  rDev +44.6%

Bomber poured into a large tumbler, "1 door" (the label shows a red door, but only says "flemish style sour ale") is a hazy dull amber with an off-white head that leaves light lace.

Smell is sweet bready, amber malt, a little acetic acid, and some metal. Not the most scrumpious, but I'm confident I'd identify the style with a blind smell test.

Taste is similar. This isn't a great oud bruin, but it's firmly in the guidelines stylistically. Oud bruin's aren't generally that sour, and I think lots of folks confuse them with flander's red. That said, this one is not malty enough, and the phenols give it that metallic bite, but I think it's a solidly authentic effort for a stateside take, especially for the value price.

Mouthfeel is dry and acidic, with a medium light, slightly watery body.

Drinkability is fine. Is this the tastiest beer, no. But it's stylistically correct, has some phenolic character, acidic, and is only really lacking in the fact that it could be maltier (and heavier). The high ABV is well hidden. I think it's a victim of the audience (some of which I'd assume due to it's availability are not familiar with the style), and presentation as a value mega-store brand take on the style, more so then the actual execution.

09-21-2011 23:34:58 | More by ccrida
phiberoptik

2.88/5  rDev +19%

Thanks to deranma for bringing this over to taste. Bomber with no date poured into a white wine glass.

Pours a deep dirty amber with a bit of haze. Almost like a cola after the ice has melted. Minimal head, actually pours like a barleywine.

Musty cherry sweet tarts. Some sour cherry notes as well. A hint of malt and the off aromas of wild yeast.

Slightly sour cherry up front. Tastes old but not over the hill old. Doesnt taste like a sour per say, but slightly watery. Some malt notes definitely come in, the end but not much here to remember.

Nicely carbonated, medium bodied. Enjoyable in the mouth.

Nothing here makes me excited. I am not going to bash this, but I wouldnt be looking for this in the future.

09-02-2011 00:17:17 | More by phiberoptik
DrJay

1.33/5  rDev -45%

Slightly hazy reddish colour with a collar of dark beige bubbles and a bit of spotty lacing. Smells sort of earthy, caramel sweetness, a bit of berry tartness, but also cheesy and rotten fruit, a little cardboard too. The flavour was not good at all. The bitterness and sourness that was present made for a terrible combination and didn't work at all with the berry and caramel flavours. I picked up some vinegar and more cardboard too. Lightish bodied, low carbonation (there wasn't much of a hiss when the cap was popped). This was a complete mess and a drain pour. I really should have checked BA before purchasing, but I thought, "How bad could it really be?". And at $4, it wouldn't have needed to be amazing for me to feel I'd gotten my money's worth. Purchasing expired lottery tickets would have been a better use of that cash.

08-26-2011 00:04:41 | More by DrJay
damndirtyape

2.33/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle (no date) poured into a tulip glass. Let's see if this is as bad as everyone lets on.

Appearance: Clear dark red-brown-orange color. The red is somewhere between a cherry and copper color and there are some definite orange highlights in the beer as well which are more notable towards the end of the glass. The beer had an initial 1/4" tan foam, which died back to a thin layer across the top and a nice size ring. Some islands and strands of lacing noted, but hey tended to slowly slide back down the glass rather than stick. By the end of the glass the only foam left was the ring.

Smell: With the foam died back, a bit sweet and mildly boozy with a notable tart cherry smell. When swirled however...a solid hit of moldering paper and old straw. Not good. Maybe it is best that the foam dies back on this one. Good on one end, but then bad on the other.

Taste: Not very sour. Yes, there is some cherry like tartness in here, and maybe some sour flavor at the end, but it's quite mild. If anything...it's mildly juice like in character, like a tart cherry juice. So it's not exactly sour, it's more tart to me. Sure, this style can range a bit according to the description of this style, but this one seems much more like fermented tart cherry juice rather than a beer per se.

Mouthfeel: Initial carbonation upon pouring is gone pretty quickly after the beer sits for a few minutes. A bit sticky, and again, juice-like in character.

Overall / Drinkability: Not quite as bad as the other reviews let on, but not impressive or average either. I could not finish the 22oz bottle so it's definitely not very drinkable but I did finish my glass. Good color though.

08-25-2011 23:39:33 | More by damndirtyape
porkinator

2.38/5  rDev -1.7%

Another review because I saw a cheap priced beer at BevMo.

A - Minimal head that faded quickly. No lacing. Reddish brown color.

S - Sweet, metallic smell. Not picking up any sour. Minimal cherry.

T - Taste is bad, bad, bad. Can hardly pick up the sour. Getting a little but of cherry. Aftertaste reminds me of having a penny in my mouth (don't ask me how I know that). Makes my tongue try to jump out of my mouth. Alcohol is very present.

M - Can't feel any carbonation. Very thin.

O - Please forgive my bland review, but that's what this beer is, bland. Even for a cheap price, I'd still rather pick something else up.

-Salud

08-17-2011 09:04:14 | More by porkinator
DaveHS

3.03/5  rDev +25.2%

A-Pours clear copper red with a bubbly cola brown head. Reduces quickly, leaving traces of soapy lacing.

S-Smells like a piece of cardboard soaked with Rodenbach. A little tart cherry, somewhat sweet.

T/M-Medium bodied and sweet, with a suggestion of tart cherry. Sweeter than some of the more accomplished beers this style has to offer. Reminds me of the Ichtegems (Strubbe) Flemish sour. A metallic penny flavor on the back end. The sweetness gets in the way after awhile.

O-I get the impression some people are being extra tough on this because it's one of those beers that seems to be made exclusively for BevMo. Beer politics aside, this no worse than your average flemish sour.

08-08-2011 02:37:34 | More by DaveHS
ibbjamin

I pour the bomber into my Lost Abbey tulip. It was cheap, like $3.50 at BevMo.

Pour is a bit thin and watery but there is some head that dissipates quickly leaving a rim of retention on the inside of the glass. Transparent dark copper in color.

Aroma is more sweet than sour. Strawberry, candy sugar and cherry. Seemingly one dimensional.

Taste reminds me of a brown ale with some added cherry flavor. It is far from good, but not terrible either.

Thin and watery with minimal carbonation to liven the mouthfeel.

Sometimes you have to drink beers like this to make you appreciate how great some of the other sours are. The brewer of this has some work to do. Despite this, I finished the bomber, and at $3.49, they priced it according to its quality. Hard to complain with that.

07-28-2011 02:54:46 | More by ibbjamin
Jeriba

Arizona

1.9/5  rDev -21.5%

I picked this up without knowing anything about it because it was on special and super cheap, and I'm trying to learn more about sours.

I learned my lesson all right.

A: Pours a berry-apple juice color with a bit of tan foam.

S: Strawberries, yeast similar to a wheat beer, hay, and diacetyl.

T: Sour grapes, berries, a bit of malt, and spoiled fruit. It's a bitter sourness! Strong lactic acid aftertaste.

M: Lackluster carbonation, unimpressive mouthfeel.

D: I enjoyed the sour grape flavor, but I hate milk so the lactic acid aftertast made it nearly undrinkable for me. After the first 1/3 of the bottle I was basically forcing myself to choke it down. I'll confess that I eventually diluted it with some juice to make it palatable, because that's how much I hate to waste beer.

I'm not an expert in sours but this was obviously a spoiled batch of something else that they tried to pass off as a Flemish sour. Bad form, guys!

05-30-2011 18:52:42 | More by Jeriba