1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale - Hermitage Brewing

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-13-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.06/5  rDev -15.6%

What's this? Something new at BevMo? And it says it's a Flemish Sour ale...I'll give it a try in spite of the poor BA rating. Let's try it out

Poured from bottle into my New Belgium snifter. Nose is...not enticing haha. It doesn't smell sour at all. In fact, it has kind of an oily smell to it. Poured into the glass, it's a dark reddish color. A thin head quickly dissipates. Let's see how it tastes...

Not very good. It's not horrible, but it certainly isn't anything I'd buy it again. It's like a sour barleywine. That's what it reminds me of. Aftertaste isn't very pleasant. In fact, this doesn't really taste like any other Flanders Oud Bruin that I've had.

Overall, I wouldn't buy this again. I merely tried it for science! It's disappointing. But then again, I didn't have high hopes for it to begin with. Oh well. Good thing I have a backup bottle of Hop Stoopid in the fridge.

3.63/5  rDev +48.8%

My first sour but reading the reviews when I got home I should of gotten a better example to introduce me to the style but it was $2.99 so I thought I'd give it a try.

Pours light red and smells of cherries. Tastes of cherries and sour like I would expect since the style is called sour ale.

If I didn't read the reviews I would of thought this is a great example of a sour ale but I like it and that's all that matters.

2.26/5  rDev -7.4%

This beer was a huge disappointment which ultimately was both a blessing and a curse. From the reviews I expected it to be horrible. People mentioned sour milk, unintentional infections, rubber bands and too many other awful things to mention, so when it went on sale for three dollars and change I said, 'Screw it. This thing sounds too terrible to pass up.'

Turns out I was wrong. It wasn't nearly bad enough to warrant my curiosity and it wasn't nearly good enough to ever think about buying again. It tasted like some sort of cherry prune juice. Not at all sour, not to style and generally unremarkable in every way.

2.88/5  rDev +18%

Peculiar amber ale.

Well, I'd call it indescribable, but I'll try. First, it's not actually sour-- tho that's overdone by some sour styles in my opinion. Tart, some hops, bit of carbonated prune juice-- or maybe it's the secret ingredient-- Dr. Pepper. Very pretty head and decent lacing, so you can't fault it there.

I read most of the reviews, and people think it's totally not on style. Okay, that seems to be my complaint lately about a lot of beers. So what the hell is it? But this is quite drinkable, kind of an anemic funkiness and some odd biterness with a hint of candy. Not actually worse than the Stone Cal-Belgie that spent too long on the shelves.

22 oz from BevMo.

1.49/5  rDev -38.9%

Bomber from BevMo Sunnyvale. Will this be the best value sour ale I’ve ever had at $3.49 a bomber, or will it suck?

Looks decent, deep crimson red in color with a small light beige head that leaves a film and ring around the glass

The aroma is not good. Well, there’s not much to it, but what there is is rubber and mildly tart cherries. Weird.

The flavor is a strange, strange mix of cherry, root beer, and rubber bands. Holy crap this is crap.

Medium-bodied with minimal acidity and average carbonation.

For the style, this is damn near rock bottom. Sorry, but I think these guys need to work on their sour brewing a little more before they end up with something half decent.

1.86/5  rDev -23.8%

No surprise here. A BevMo house brand - "Hermitage Ales" - listed as the producer. All of the stuff I've tried from them @ BevMo @ their Friday beer tastings has been passable at best. But I was feeling brave and thought I'd see how they did on the sour side. Not well, I can (un)comfortably report.
It starts out OK - nice appearance, decent head, at least it holds its carbonation in the bottle. Sadly, that's where the plaudits end.
It's got a nose of "old" stone fruits, like - dates left too long in the fridge comes to mind - and a cloyingly sweet candi sugar aroma. There's a soapy, ruddy taste, it's a bit sour, but leaves an expectation that it's not gonna end well... What a mess. The finish is much too long because it's unpleasant, hard to quantify, getting a hint of acetal, some raisin & prune, nothing good. Drain pour, obviously. Avoid.

2.28/5  rDev -6.6%

Looks strangely "clean" in the glass. Clear, light brown that glows ruby when held to the light. Virtually no head, just a little lace at the edge of the glass.

Not a whole lot hitting the nose. Some caramel malt and some mild citrus, but none of the complexity and vibrancy that the style usually offers.

The mouthfeel is appropriately light and effervescent.

The taste offers a bit more of the sour that I was hoping for, but it is a one note sourness that lacks depth and feels almost artificial. There's a toasted bread note that dutifully follows and some hop bitterness that follows in sequence, but the flavors never come together into a coherent whole. Cannot recommend.

1.51/5  rDev -38.1%

22oz of Flemish Sour for $3.49. Be very afraid! Poured from a bomber into my N'ice Chouffe goblet. Decent amber color with a big, 3 fingered, fluffy tan head to start with, but fades within 30 seconds to nothing, leaving OK lacing. Smell, wtf. Old hops, bad cider, wet dog, fowl. Tastes of funky, tea leafy, old hops, an off sort of sour, booze. Sorta prickly OK mouthfeel. Thin. Bad. Avoid.

1.56/5  rDev -36.1%

Picked this up for like $4, thought what a steal. Well, price v. quality, I got ripped off.

Pours out, looks like a oud bruin/amber/red ale, so we're all good. Smell was the first sign things were not going good, just didn't take on any characteristic of style that it should, really just smelled like a metallic amber ale.

Taste, just awful. A bit of wood, lots of malt feel as if it were a regular red ale, no sourness whatsoever. Just tasted like an unintentional infected beer left on some wood. Hated it. Felt ashamed for bringing it.

2.92/5  rDev +19.7%

NOTE**** I am not an expert on sours, I am still trying to get a handle on them, so please take this with a grain of salt.

App - I love the ruby red/amber color that this bottle poured. Very lush and well, just pretty.

Smell - Fruity and sweet

Taste - A bit of tart/sour but there is really a much larger presence of sweet malt that takes over the beer.

Mouthfeel - Very full, almost think and syrupy

Drinkability - Very much a sipper, not something I would just "drink"

Over all - I like but I know I have alot to learn about sours.

1.98/5  rDev -18.9%

pours a decent strawberry rhubarb amber hue with a thin frothy head that fades quickly but leaves some decent lacing.

aroma is simple malt, hops, a hint of earthy caramel malt... mild and a bit tepid.

whoah. tart. but not in a flanders style. nor an ejoyable one. thin, acrid, sharp, tastes like licking rust off of an empty can that once contained goat cheese that was left out in the sun. There's nothing enjoyable going on here... yes, it's sour, but it tastes like homebrew gone wrong. Lacking the sweetness, the depth, and the complexity that most flanders (or most sours, at that) are characterized by.

mouth is fizzy, sprightly, with a cloyingly acidic and almost metallic finish.

I can't imagine this was an intentional sour. It tastes like a mistake. though I think the bigger mistake was deciding to put it in bottles and market it as a Flanders style ale. which it isn't. I'd really like to think that I'm completely off-base here and my palate is just a bit off tonight. but it's a tough one.

2.46/5  rDev +0.8%

Crystal clear burnished mahogany water on the pour. A light cap settles out to a surface ring in a minute or so. Light lacing follows. Light and thin yet proving itself ever so slightly with time.

Smells like a Pale Ale from the NorthWest at first. Pokes its head out of the shell just a bit with some exposure, otherwise any sour associations are absent. Bit of rust and caramel malt can't hide and detracts a bit. The smell is surely the limiting factor here, barely coming up for air after 30 minutes or so.

Hint of cherry tartness on the flavor if you really reach for it. Bit of wood develops as well. Finishes with a lightly sweet and fruity close. Offers an off and on spritzy carbonation to liven up the feel but still suffers from the base beer.

Average feel and drink in the end. Starts off a bit watery but firms up with some exposure, offering a lightly tart finish. A 'forced' sour from pretty shoddy stock in my view, yet 'reasonable' with some air and if served at 50 degrees or greater....

2.2/5  rDev -9.8%

(22oz bottle). Pours clear mahogany/cola color. Aroma of candied sugar, biscuit cookies, but not sour. Taste is sweet with a metallic taste. No real sourness/tartness. This is just bad. It's a drain pour and not worth drinking more than a couple of sips. It's the worst attempt at a sour that I've come across. It tastes like an infected double.

2.47/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours an almost-clear, reddish amber color with a medium cream-colored head that disappears rather quickly. Scent is malty and very grainy. That's about it...not a very good nose whatsoever. Taste is initially malty with very light hints of sweet and sour flavors. I was not expecting anything great from this awful brewery, and I'm sure glad I didn't. Not a good example of this style, and has a very off-putting metallic taste. If you're going to label your beer as "sour", then it should be sour. The sad thing is, as awful of a representation of Flemish Style Sour this is, it's still one of Hermitage Brewings better offerings. Though I will not be purchasing this again. Mouthfeel is not very full-bodied and rather light. Drinkability is not very high

2.4/5  rDev -1.6%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a clear mahogany with a mild white head, fair retention, no lace.

S: Mix of cheese and strawberry shortcake, a bit off putting at first but it grew on me.

T: Soured raw milk flavour and rancid cheese. Notes of lactic acid and wood are good, but it's not really tasty. Not terrible, I can drink it, but nothing I really want to come back to.

M: Medium-bodied, light acidity, fairly smooth.

D: At $3.50 a bomber, this would be a steal in the sour category if it was simply adequate. It's not, it's well below average. I'll finish the bomber, but it's not something I'd buy again even at the very low price point.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last