1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale - Hermitage Brewing

1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale

poor

Hermitage Brewing visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-13-2011)
2.75/5  rDev +13.2%

scottiethebody, Sep 06, 2012
2.63/5  rDev +8.2%

A-pours a deep burgodey color body. Pretty active carbonation very tight and small, little champagne like. Head disapates bit still present after about a minute.

S-reminds me of cherry flavor cough syrupe. A bit off putting but who am I to judge. I personally have never had this style before. Smells of black spur cherries maybe a bit of cocoa in the background.

T-not as sour as the aroma lead it up to be, very mild. Sour vinegar tingle but not very pronounced. More of the same with the aroma, mild tart black cherries. Not much else going on. Alot of medicinal flavor come through with the tart cherries. A bit all over the place. Yet I don't think balance is what the style intends to off anyways.

O- not crazy about this style, nor am I with this brew in particular. It's not bad, im not going really ba mouth it to much. Try for yourselves, but for me this is the last time I buy it. You live and you learn I guess.

beerman21, Nov 10, 2011
2.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours an almost-clear, reddish amber color with a medium cream-colored head that disappears rather quickly. Scent is malty and very grainy. That's about it...not a very good nose whatsoever. Taste is initially malty with very light hints of sweet and sour flavors. I was not expecting anything great from this awful brewery, and I'm sure glad I didn't. Not a good example of this style, and has a very off-putting metallic taste. If you're going to label your beer as "sour", then it should be sour. The sad thing is, as awful of a representation of Flemish Style Sour this is, it's still one of Hermitage Brewings better offerings. Though I will not be purchasing this again. Mouthfeel is not very full-bodied and rather light. Drinkability is not very high

DovaliHops, Feb 13, 2011
2.5/5  rDev +2.9%

KidRagnarok, Jan 12, 2012
2.48/5  rDev +2.1%

Crystal clear burnished mahogany water on the pour. A light cap settles out to a surface ring in a minute or so. Light lacing follows. Light and thin yet proving itself ever so slightly with time.

Smells like a Pale Ale from the NorthWest at first. Pokes its head out of the shell just a bit with some exposure, otherwise any sour associations are absent. Bit of rust and caramel malt can't hide and detracts a bit. The smell is surely the limiting factor here, barely coming up for air after 30 minutes or so.

Hint of cherry tartness on the flavor if you really reach for it. Bit of wood develops as well. Finishes with a lightly sweet and fruity close. Offers an off and on spritzy carbonation to liven up the feel but still suffers from the base beer.

Average feel and drink in the end. Starts off a bit watery but firms up with some exposure, offering a lightly tart finish. A 'forced' sour from pretty shoddy stock in my view, yet 'reasonable' with some air and if served at 50 degrees or greater....

HalfFull, Feb 22, 2011
2.45/5  rDev +0.8%

500ml bottle.

Pours murky amber with a mahogany tinge. A quarter inch head of beige dissapated to a placid surface with zero lacing.

Aromatics are a blend of artificial fruit flavoring and stomach acid. Regurgetated cherry cough syrup, if you will.

Medium bodied with a slick, syrupy mouthfeel.

Bile-like lactic acid with rancid cherry flavoring starts the palate. Some caramel-laden malt tries to balance a sweet and tart profile.

Finishes with lingering cough syrup and cheesy, soured yogurt.

Yikes.

brewandbbq, Oct 13, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Nice reddish/amber brown. Glows nicely in the light. A lot of clarity for the style and color.

S: What I might expect. Straightforward funky sourdough smell, some faint hop character.

T: Toasted barley up front with sourness. Seems kind of like it has an odd choice of hops that doesn't quite fit in. Lacking the sweetness that it needs. Lingering bitterness clashes with the sour, but reminiscent of grapefruit. Some sour apple and unripe lemon are here too.

M: Pretty good. Light and easy drinking texture. Smooth and mellow if judging the mouthfeel alone.

O: I don't like it. Probably (definitely) the worst example of the style that I've come across. It's going to be a struggle to finish the bomber...should I even bother? It is strangely refreshing and palate cleansing though. The score here is a correction for the rest, and how I felt about this beer as a whole. I don't look at the average score before the review, so if it's high, maybe I got a bad bottle and will be willing to give it another chance because this beer is unreasonably bad.

Jemonster, Oct 13, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -2.1%

Another review because I saw a cheap priced beer at BevMo.

A - Minimal head that faded quickly. No lacing. Reddish brown color.

S - Sweet, metallic smell. Not picking up any sour. Minimal cherry.

T - Taste is bad, bad, bad. Can hardly pick up the sour. Getting a little but of cherry. Aftertaste reminds me of having a penny in my mouth (don't ask me how I know that). Makes my tongue try to jump out of my mouth. Alcohol is very present.

M - Can't feel any carbonation. Very thin.

O - Please forgive my bland review, but that's what this beer is, bland. Even for a cheap price, I'd still rather pick something else up.

-Salud

porkinator, Aug 17, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -3.3%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a clear mahogany with a mild white head, fair retention, no lace.

S: Mix of cheese and strawberry shortcake, a bit off putting at first but it grew on me.

T: Soured raw milk flavour and rancid cheese. Notes of lactic acid and wood are good, but it's not really tasty. Not terrible, I can drink it, but nothing I really want to come back to.

M: Medium-bodied, light acidity, fairly smooth.

D: At $3.50 a bomber, this would be a steal in the sour category if it was simply adequate. It's not, it's well below average. I'll finish the bomber, but it's not something I'd buy again even at the very low price point.

Halcyondays, Feb 13, 2011
2.33/5  rDev -4.1%

Bottle (no date) poured into a tulip glass. Let's see if this is as bad as everyone lets on.

Appearance: Clear dark red-brown-orange color. The red is somewhere between a cherry and copper color and there are some definite orange highlights in the beer as well which are more notable towards the end of the glass. The beer had an initial 1/4" tan foam, which died back to a thin layer across the top and a nice size ring. Some islands and strands of lacing noted, but hey tended to slowly slide back down the glass rather than stick. By the end of the glass the only foam left was the ring.

Smell: With the foam died back, a bit sweet and mildly boozy with a notable tart cherry smell. When swirled however...a solid hit of moldering paper and old straw. Not good. Maybe it is best that the foam dies back on this one. Good on one end, but then bad on the other.

Taste: Not very sour. Yes, there is some cherry like tartness in here, and maybe some sour flavor at the end, but it's quite mild. If anything...it's mildly juice like in character, like a tart cherry juice. So it's not exactly sour, it's more tart to me. Sure, this style can range a bit according to the description of this style, but this one seems much more like fermented tart cherry juice rather than a beer per se.

Mouthfeel: Initial carbonation upon pouring is gone pretty quickly after the beer sits for a few minutes. A bit sticky, and again, juice-like in character.

Overall / Drinkability: Not quite as bad as the other reviews let on, but not impressive or average either. I could not finish the 22oz bottle so it's definitely not very drinkable but I did finish my glass. Good color though.

damndirtyape, Aug 26, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -5.3%

650 ml bottle. Pours a fairly dark brown with a small white head that leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is some light caramel, some brown sugar, and a bit of acetone. Not good, but certainly not terribly offensive. Taste is quite bland with some caramel sweetness, brown sugar, and a bit of acetic acid. Not particularly sour. Medium body low carbonation. Not very enjoyable, but not the worst beer I've had either.

jethrodium, Oct 17, 2011
2.28/5  rDev -6.2%

This beer was a huge disappointment which ultimately was both a blessing and a curse. From the reviews I expected it to be horrible. People mentioned sour milk, unintentional infections, rubber bands and too many other awful things to mention, so when it went on sale for three dollars and change I said, 'Screw it. This thing sounds too terrible to pass up.'

Turns out I was wrong. It wasn't nearly bad enough to warrant my curiosity and it wasn't nearly good enough to ever think about buying again. It tasted like some sort of cherry prune juice. Not at all sour, not to style and generally unremarkable in every way.

jlb502, May 17, 2011
2.28/5  rDev -6.2%

Looks strangely "clean" in the glass. Clear, light brown that glows ruby when held to the light. Virtually no head, just a little lace at the edge of the glass.

Not a whole lot hitting the nose. Some caramel malt and some mild citrus, but none of the complexity and vibrancy that the style usually offers.

The mouthfeel is appropriately light and effervescent.

The taste offers a bit more of the sour that I was hoping for, but it is a one note sourness that lacks depth and feels almost artificial. There's a toasted bread note that dutifully follows and some hop bitterness that follows in sequence, but the flavors never come together into a coherent whole. Cannot recommend.

chicagobeerriot, Apr 25, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -7.4%

ithinkimasofa, Jun 25, 2012
2.2/5  rDev -9.5%

App: A nice red mahogany. little to no head.

Sm: smells like sour apple. for 7% ABV you dont notice any alcohol.

tst: slightly sour at first followed by a bitter aftertaste. I want it to be more sour and complex.

mtf: very light and thin, and after awhile it leaves a slippery film in your mouth

overall: for 2.45 you cant complain, but it goes without saying that there are definitely better sour beers as well as ales out there

Burlyn, May 16, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -12.3%

(22oz bottle). Pours clear mahogany/cola color. Aroma of candied sugar, biscuit cookies, but not sour. Taste is sweet with a metallic taste. No real sourness/tartness. This is just bad. It's a drain pour and not worth drinking more than a couple of sips. It's the worst attempt at a sour that I've come across. It tastes like an infected double.

trappistlover, Feb 20, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -15.6%

What's this? Something new at BevMo? And it says it's a Flemish Sour ale...I'll give it a try in spite of the poor BA rating. Let's try it out

Poured from bottle into my New Belgium snifter. Nose is...not enticing haha. It doesn't smell sour at all. In fact, it has kind of an oily smell to it. Poured into the glass, it's a dark reddish color. A thin head quickly dissipates. Let's see how it tastes...

Not very good. It's not horrible, but it certainly isn't anything I'd buy it again. It's like a sour barleywine. That's what it reminds me of. Aftertaste isn't very pleasant. In fact, this doesn't really taste like any other Flanders Oud Bruin that I've had.

Overall, I wouldn't buy this again. I merely tried it for science! It's disappointing. But then again, I didn't have high hopes for it to begin with. Oh well. Good thing I have a backup bottle of Hop Stoopid in the fridge.

UnknownKoger, May 28, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -15.6%

A: No head. Im not sure if that was due to an improper glass being used or what but i counted about 16 bubbles on top. I wasn't impressed.

S: It didn't smell sour. I smelled a hint of yeast but it wasn't overpowering. It just was a cheap beer smell.

T: It wasn't as sour as I wanted it to be. I really enjoy sour beers (favorite so far is the Consecration) but it was sour enough to feel the tartness in my throat a little bit. Again I wish it were more sour.

M: It had a kind of lingering oily feel. Didn't tase bad, but it felt like there was a thin oily film coating the inside of my mouth. Not very pleasant.

O: It was worth a try mainly because I like sour beers and it was a whopping $2.35 at BevMo. I won't be buying this again.

TurboQuattro, Dec 18, 2011

flayedandskinned, Aug 06, 2012

I pour the bomber into my Lost Abbey tulip. It was cheap, like $3.50 at BevMo.

Pour is a bit thin and watery but there is some head that dissipates quickly leaving a rim of retention on the inside of the glass. Transparent dark copper in color.

Aroma is more sweet than sour. Strawberry, candy sugar and cherry. Seemingly one dimensional.

Taste reminds me of a brown ale with some added cherry flavor. It is far from good, but not terrible either.

Thin and watery with minimal carbonation to liven the mouthfeel.

Sometimes you have to drink beers like this to make you appreciate how great some of the other sours are. The brewer of this has some work to do. Despite this, I finished the bomber, and at $3.49, they priced it according to its quality. Hard to complain with that.

ibbjamin, Jul 28, 2011

zacheney, Apr 02, 2012

PunkFloyd, Nov 24, 2011

tbeq00, Dec 08, 2011

kornkid8600, Jan 09, 2012
1.98/5  rDev -18.5%

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for opening this one, Nathan!

A somewhat active dull crimson and brown, with a quickly forming, though fast disappearing tan head. This leaves spots of lace down the glass. Not particularly unattractive.

I knew this wasn't going to be a very good beer upon first whiff. It immediately reminded me of celery, salt, and V8 tomato juice. There's a bit of vinegar acidity, but not a lot. There may also be some lettuce aroma, which is altogether strange.

The taste isn't much, if any, better, though the distinct V8 character is missing. It's more of a dulled, mild Flanders, with a bit of both cherry and sherry, and quite a bit of cardboard oxidation. Unimpressed.

Thin to medium mouthfeel and somewhat lifeless.

Not at all a good example of the style...or of anything for that matter.

ehammond1, Jan 24, 2012