1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale - Hermitage Brewing

1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale

poor

Hermitage Brewing visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-13-2011)
1.9/5  rDev -21.8%

pours a decent strawberry rhubarb amber hue with a thin frothy head that fades quickly but leaves some decent lacing.

aroma is simple malt, hops, a hint of earthy caramel malt... mild and a bit tepid.

whoah. tart. but not in a flanders style. nor an ejoyable one. thin, acrid, sharp, tastes like licking rust off of an empty can that once contained goat cheese that was left out in the sun. There's nothing enjoyable going on here... yes, it's sour, but it tastes like homebrew gone wrong. Lacking the sweetness, the depth, and the complexity that most flanders (or most sours, at that) are characterized by.

mouth is fizzy, sprightly, with a cloyingly acidic and almost metallic finish.

I can't imagine this was an intentional sour. It tastes like a mistake. though I think the bigger mistake was deciding to put it in bottles and market it as a Flanders style ale. which it isn't. I'd really like to think that I'm completely off-base here and my palate is just a bit off tonight. but it's a tough one.

1.9/5  rDev -21.8%

I picked this up without knowing anything about it because it was on special and super cheap, and I'm trying to learn more about sours.

I learned my lesson all right.

A: Pours a berry-apple juice color with a bit of tan foam.

S: Strawberries, yeast similar to a wheat beer, hay, and diacetyl.

T: Sour grapes, berries, a bit of malt, and spoiled fruit. It's a bitter sourness! Strong lactic acid aftertaste.

M: Lackluster carbonation, unimpressive mouthfeel.

D: I enjoyed the sour grape flavor, but I hate milk so the lactic acid aftertast made it nearly undrinkable for me. After the first 1/3 of the bottle I was basically forcing myself to choke it down. I'll confess that I eventually diluted it with some juice to make it palatable, because that's how much I hate to waste beer.

I'm not an expert in sours but this was obviously a spoiled batch of something else that they tried to pass off as a Flemish sour. Bad form, guys!

1.83/5  rDev -24.7%

No surprise here. A BevMo house brand - "Hermitage Ales" - listed as the producer. All of the stuff I've tried from them @ BevMo @ their Friday beer tastings has been passable at best. But I was feeling brave and thought I'd see how they did on the sour side. Not well, I can (un)comfortably report.
It starts out OK - nice appearance, decent head, at least it holds its carbonation in the bottle. Sadly, that's where the plaudits end.
It's got a nose of "old" stone fruits, like - dates left too long in the fridge comes to mind - and a cloyingly sweet candi sugar aroma. There's a soapy, ruddy taste, it's a bit sour, but leaves an expectation that it's not gonna end well... What a mess. The finish is much too long because it's unpleasant, hard to quantify, getting a hint of acetal, some raisin & prune, nothing good. Drain pour, obviously. Avoid.

1.75/5  rDev -28%

I made an account on this site in Dec 2011 to review this beer, but I never did.

Its now been a little over a year and I still remeber the main reason I made an account , although none of the details.

Stay away, far away!

Worst beer me and my girlfriend ever had.

We love sours , and all other beers.

This is the only beer(including bud) that's seen the drain. And I've had over 300 different beers since then.

Tasted metallic and like poison. Was on sale at bevmo for like $3 per bomber or something at the time. Its with less, way less. I'd rather drink water.

1.5/5  rDev -38.3%

Picked this up for like $4, thought what a steal. Well, price v. quality, I got ripped off.

Pours out, looks like a oud bruin/amber/red ale, so we're all good. Smell was the first sign things were not going good, just didn't take on any characteristic of style that it should, really just smelled like a metallic amber ale.

Taste, just awful. A bit of wood, lots of malt feel as if it were a regular red ale, no sourness whatsoever. Just tasted like an unintentional infected beer left on some wood. Hated it. Felt ashamed for bringing it.

1.5/5  rDev -38.3%

22oz of Flemish Sour for $3.49. Be very afraid! Poured from a bomber into my N'ice Chouffe goblet. Decent amber color with a big, 3 fingered, fluffy tan head to start with, but fades within 30 seconds to nothing, leaving OK lacing. Smell, wtf. Old hops, bad cider, wet dog, fowl. Tastes of funky, tea leafy, old hops, an off sort of sour, booze. Sorta prickly OK mouthfeel. Thin. Bad. Avoid.

1.43/5  rDev -41.2%

Bomber from BevMo Sunnyvale. Will this be the best value sour ale I’ve ever had at $3.49 a bomber, or will it suck?

Looks decent, deep crimson red in color with a small light beige head that leaves a film and ring around the glass

The aroma is not good. Well, there’s not much to it, but what there is is rubber and mildly tart cherries. Weird.

The flavor is a strange, strange mix of cherry, root beer, and rubber bands. Holy crap this is crap.

Medium-bodied with minimal acidity and average carbonation.

For the style, this is damn near rock bottom. Sorry, but I think these guys need to work on their sour brewing a little more before they end up with something half decent.

1.33/5  rDev -45.3%

Slightly hazy reddish colour with a collar of dark beige bubbles and a bit of spotty lacing. Smells sort of earthy, caramel sweetness, a bit of berry tartness, but also cheesy and rotten fruit, a little cardboard too. The flavour was not good at all. The bitterness and sourness that was present made for a terrible combination and didn't work at all with the berry and caramel flavours. I picked up some vinegar and more cardboard too. Lightish bodied, low carbonation (there wasn't much of a hiss when the cap was popped). This was a complete mess and a drain pour. I really should have checked BA before purchasing, but I thought, "How bad could it really be?". And at $4, it wouldn't have needed to be amazing for me to feel I'd gotten my money's worth. Purchasing expired lottery tickets would have been a better use of that cash.

1.08/5  rDev -55.6%

A: Pours mahogany with a little white head, fair retention, no lace.

S: Mix of cheese and strawberry syrup, a bit off at first but it got worse with it warming up.

T: Soured raw milk flavour and rancid cheese. raw taste of lactic acid and wood are there, but it's not really tasty. Not terrible, I can barely drink it, but nothing I really want to come back to.

M: Medium-bodied, light acidity, not smooth.

D: It's well below average. I'm pouring it out as this is a dumper. I can't finish the bomber, and it's not something I'd buy again even at the very low price point.

Bottle was on sale at BevMo for $2.99/bomber. I knew it was a mistake to buy, but I did it anyways. Chalk that up to wild college days where we used to drink crazy shit out of a used soccer cleat.

Anyways, this beer pours a murky reddish brown. Like overused transmission fluid. Minimal head, minimal lacing. Smells of chemicals and vinegar. Taste is rich up front, then a flood of astrigent, tart, vinegary pain. There is a sharp spiciness like someone spilled 409 cleaner in my glass. Wow, an absolutely horrendous beer. Hard to comment on mouthfeel when I spit it out.

Yeah, another strike against Hermitage. This has to be the worst attempt at a sour beer I've had...even unintentionally infected beer is better than this stuff.

1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale from Hermitage Brewing