1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale - Hermitage Brewing

1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale

poor

Hermitage Brewing visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 02-13-2011)
View: Beers (31) |  Events

3.5/5  rDev +44%

12-31-2011 04:48:11 | More by hawkmage
TurboQuattro

2.05/5  rDev -15.6%

A: No head. Im not sure if that was due to an improper glass being used or what but i counted about 16 bubbles on top. I wasn't impressed.

S: It didn't smell sour. I smelled a hint of yeast but it wasn't overpowering. It just was a cheap beer smell.

T: It wasn't as sour as I wanted it to be. I really enjoy sour beers (favorite so far is the Consecration) but it was sour enough to feel the tartness in my throat a little bit. Again I wish it were more sour.

M: It had a kind of lingering oily feel. Didn't tase bad, but it felt like there was a thin oily film coating the inside of my mouth. Not very pleasant.

O: It was worth a try mainly because I like sour beers and it was a whopping $2.35 at BevMo. I won't be buying this again.

12-18-2011 22:19:08 | More by TurboQuattro

jeezie

11-16-2011 02:59:06 | More by jeezie
dcook11

3.98/5  rDev +63.8%

Enjoyed this one. Poured in to a snifter. Cheery red hue, small head that quickly fades, a touch of carbonation visible when held up to the light. Smells of old socks, cherries, a touch of vinegar, green jolly ranchers...just funky, complex, and tart in general. The taste is cherry dominant with a touch of vinegar and oddly enough, bitter chocolate at the finish. The mouth feel is light to medium bodied. I've had this before and would definitely have it again in the future.

11-15-2011 10:28:40 | More by dcook11
beerman21

2.63/5  rDev +8.2%

A-pours a deep burgodey color body. Pretty active carbonation very tight and small, little champagne like. Head disapates bit still present after about a minute.

S-reminds me of cherry flavor cough syrupe. A bit off putting but who am I to judge. I personally have never had this style before. Smells of black spur cherries maybe a bit of cocoa in the background.

T-not as sour as the aroma lead it up to be, very mild. Sour vinegar tingle but not very pronounced. More of the same with the aroma, mild tart black cherries. Not much else going on. Alot of medicinal flavor come through with the tart cherries. A bit all over the place. Yet I don't think balance is what the style intends to off anyways.

O- not crazy about this style, nor am I with this brew in particular. It's not bad, im not going really ba mouth it to much. Try for yourselves, but for me this is the last time I buy it. You live and you learn I guess.

11-10-2011 23:31:40 | More by beerman21
jethrodium

2.3/5  rDev -5.3%

650 ml bottle. Pours a fairly dark brown with a small white head that leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is some light caramel, some brown sugar, and a bit of acetone. Not good, but certainly not terribly offensive. Taste is quite bland with some caramel sweetness, brown sugar, and a bit of acetic acid. Not particularly sour. Medium body low carbonation. Not very enjoyable, but not the worst beer I've had either.

10-17-2011 04:24:14 | More by jethrodium
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

2.45/5  rDev +0.8%

500ml bottle.

Pours murky amber with a mahogany tinge. A quarter inch head of beige dissapated to a placid surface with zero lacing.

Aromatics are a blend of artificial fruit flavoring and stomach acid. Regurgetated cherry cough syrup, if you will.

Medium bodied with a slick, syrupy mouthfeel.

Bile-like lactic acid with rancid cherry flavoring starts the palate. Some caramel-laden malt tries to balance a sweet and tart profile.

Finishes with lingering cough syrup and cheesy, soured yogurt.

Yikes.

10-13-2011 00:24:40 | More by brewandbbq
biggied

1.08/5  rDev -55.6%

A: Pours mahogany with a little white head, fair retention, no lace.

S: Mix of cheese and strawberry syrup, a bit off at first but it got worse with it warming up.

T: Soured raw milk flavour and rancid cheese. raw taste of lactic acid and wood are there, but it's not really tasty. Not terrible, I can barely drink it, but nothing I really want to come back to.

M: Medium-bodied, light acidity, not smooth.

D: It's well below average. I'm pouring it out as this is a dumper. I can't finish the bomber, and it's not something I'd buy again even at the very low price point.

10-03-2011 02:05:22 | More by biggied
ccrida

Oregon

3.5/5  rDev +44%

Bomber poured into a large tumbler, "1 door" (the label shows a red door, but only says "flemish style sour ale") is a hazy dull amber with an off-white head that leaves light lace.

Smell is sweet bready, amber malt, a little acetic acid, and some metal. Not the most scrumpious, but I'm confident I'd identify the style with a blind smell test.

Taste is similar. This isn't a great oud bruin, but it's firmly in the guidelines stylistically. Oud bruin's aren't generally that sour, and I think lots of folks confuse them with flander's red. That said, this one is not malty enough, and the phenols give it that metallic bite, but I think it's a solidly authentic effort for a stateside take, especially for the value price.

Mouthfeel is dry and acidic, with a medium light, slightly watery body.

Drinkability is fine. Is this the tastiest beer, no. But it's stylistically correct, has some phenolic character, acidic, and is only really lacking in the fact that it could be maltier (and heavier). The high ABV is well hidden. I think it's a victim of the audience (some of which I'd assume due to it's availability are not familiar with the style), and presentation as a value mega-store brand take on the style, more so then the actual execution.

09-21-2011 23:34:58 | More by ccrida
phiberoptik

2.88/5  rDev +18.5%

Thanks to deranma for bringing this over to taste. Bomber with no date poured into a white wine glass.

Pours a deep dirty amber with a bit of haze. Almost like a cola after the ice has melted. Minimal head, actually pours like a barleywine.

Musty cherry sweet tarts. Some sour cherry notes as well. A hint of malt and the off aromas of wild yeast.

Slightly sour cherry up front. Tastes old but not over the hill old. Doesnt taste like a sour per say, but slightly watery. Some malt notes definitely come in, the end but not much here to remember.

Nicely carbonated, medium bodied. Enjoyable in the mouth.

Nothing here makes me excited. I am not going to bash this, but I wouldnt be looking for this in the future.

09-02-2011 00:17:17 | More by phiberoptik
DrJay

1.33/5  rDev -45.3%

Slightly hazy reddish colour with a collar of dark beige bubbles and a bit of spotty lacing. Smells sort of earthy, caramel sweetness, a bit of berry tartness, but also cheesy and rotten fruit, a little cardboard too. The flavour was not good at all. The bitterness and sourness that was present made for a terrible combination and didn't work at all with the berry and caramel flavours. I picked up some vinegar and more cardboard too. Lightish bodied, low carbonation (there wasn't much of a hiss when the cap was popped). This was a complete mess and a drain pour. I really should have checked BA before purchasing, but I thought, "How bad could it really be?". And at $4, it wouldn't have needed to be amazing for me to feel I'd gotten my money's worth. Purchasing expired lottery tickets would have been a better use of that cash.

08-26-2011 00:04:41 | More by DrJay
damndirtyape

2.33/5  rDev -4.1%

Bottle (no date) poured into a tulip glass. Let's see if this is as bad as everyone lets on.

Appearance: Clear dark red-brown-orange color. The red is somewhere between a cherry and copper color and there are some definite orange highlights in the beer as well which are more notable towards the end of the glass. The beer had an initial 1/4" tan foam, which died back to a thin layer across the top and a nice size ring. Some islands and strands of lacing noted, but hey tended to slowly slide back down the glass rather than stick. By the end of the glass the only foam left was the ring.

Smell: With the foam died back, a bit sweet and mildly boozy with a notable tart cherry smell. When swirled however...a solid hit of moldering paper and old straw. Not good. Maybe it is best that the foam dies back on this one. Good on one end, but then bad on the other.

Taste: Not very sour. Yes, there is some cherry like tartness in here, and maybe some sour flavor at the end, but it's quite mild. If anything...it's mildly juice like in character, like a tart cherry juice. So it's not exactly sour, it's more tart to me. Sure, this style can range a bit according to the description of this style, but this one seems much more like fermented tart cherry juice rather than a beer per se.

Mouthfeel: Initial carbonation upon pouring is gone pretty quickly after the beer sits for a few minutes. A bit sticky, and again, juice-like in character.

Overall / Drinkability: Not quite as bad as the other reviews let on, but not impressive or average either. I could not finish the 22oz bottle so it's definitely not very drinkable but I did finish my glass. Good color though.

08-25-2011 23:39:33 | More by damndirtyape
porkinator

2.38/5  rDev -2.1%

Another review because I saw a cheap priced beer at BevMo.

A - Minimal head that faded quickly. No lacing. Reddish brown color.

S - Sweet, metallic smell. Not picking up any sour. Minimal cherry.

T - Taste is bad, bad, bad. Can hardly pick up the sour. Getting a little but of cherry. Aftertaste reminds me of having a penny in my mouth (don't ask me how I know that). Makes my tongue try to jump out of my mouth. Alcohol is very present.

M - Can't feel any carbonation. Very thin.

O - Please forgive my bland review, but that's what this beer is, bland. Even for a cheap price, I'd still rather pick something else up.

-Salud

08-17-2011 09:04:14 | More by porkinator
DaveHS

3.03/5  rDev +24.7%

A-Pours clear copper red with a bubbly cola brown head. Reduces quickly, leaving traces of soapy lacing.

S-Smells like a piece of cardboard soaked with Rodenbach. A little tart cherry, somewhat sweet.

T/M-Medium bodied and sweet, with a suggestion of tart cherry. Sweeter than some of the more accomplished beers this style has to offer. Reminds me of the Ichtegems (Strubbe) Flemish sour. A metallic penny flavor on the back end. The sweetness gets in the way after awhile.

O-I get the impression some people are being extra tough on this because it's one of those beers that seems to be made exclusively for BevMo. Beer politics aside, this no worse than your average flemish sour.

08-08-2011 02:37:34 | More by DaveHS
ibbjamin

I pour the bomber into my Lost Abbey tulip. It was cheap, like $3.50 at BevMo.

Pour is a bit thin and watery but there is some head that dissipates quickly leaving a rim of retention on the inside of the glass. Transparent dark copper in color.

Aroma is more sweet than sour. Strawberry, candy sugar and cherry. Seemingly one dimensional.

Taste reminds me of a brown ale with some added cherry flavor. It is far from good, but not terrible either.

Thin and watery with minimal carbonation to liven the mouthfeel.

Sometimes you have to drink beers like this to make you appreciate how great some of the other sours are. The brewer of this has some work to do. Despite this, I finished the bomber, and at $3.49, they priced it according to its quality. Hard to complain with that.

07-28-2011 02:54:46 | More by ibbjamin
Jeriba

Arizona

1.9/5  rDev -21.8%

I picked this up without knowing anything about it because it was on special and super cheap, and I'm trying to learn more about sours.

I learned my lesson all right.

A: Pours a berry-apple juice color with a bit of tan foam.

S: Strawberries, yeast similar to a wheat beer, hay, and diacetyl.

T: Sour grapes, berries, a bit of malt, and spoiled fruit. It's a bitter sourness! Strong lactic acid aftertaste.

M: Lackluster carbonation, unimpressive mouthfeel.

D: I enjoyed the sour grape flavor, but I hate milk so the lactic acid aftertast made it nearly undrinkable for me. After the first 1/3 of the bottle I was basically forcing myself to choke it down. I'll confess that I eventually diluted it with some juice to make it palatable, because that's how much I hate to waste beer.

I'm not an expert in sours but this was obviously a spoiled batch of something else that they tried to pass off as a Flemish sour. Bad form, guys!

05-30-2011 18:52:42 | More by Jeriba